Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Porsche News: Rumorpile: Porsche Reconsiders 911 Hybrid

William Maley

The idea of Porsche doing a 911 hybrid has come and gone, and it seems to be coming once again.

Bloomberg has learned from sources at Porsche that they are considering a hybrid powertrain for their iconic sports car once again. If given the green light, it would appear a few years after the launch of the next-generation 911 (due sometime next year) and possibly offer up to 40 miles of electric-only range. A problem that engineers are working on is trying to cut down battery weight the handling characteristics the vehicle is known for.

It should be noted the Porsche has been going back and forth on this idea since 2014. Back in May, Porsche's head of development for the 718 and 911 said plans for 911 plug-in hybrid were canceled last year due to weight concerns and not being able to make much a profit as they would with a standard 911.

Source: Bloomberg

View full article

I think Tesla is making Porsche rethink everything about EV auto's and Plug in PHEV. What was new thinking and thrown out after doing various exercises is back as new due to competition starting to nibble at their main lunch table of customers.

• Agree 1

Tesla-Roadster-2-830x553.jpg

HA!

This little guy is making Porsche shyte bricks!!!

Hybrid 911...bring it on is what I say! 'Bout phoquing time!

I love it when arrogance from Germania gets humbled...

What Im thinking about...is that if Porsche actually goes 100% EV for the 911 one day and does it like a Tesla...AWD with 2 motors, 1 in front and 1 in back, then 100% of the trickiness to drive a 911 will be  virtually eliminated. Negating 40-50 some odd years of engineering the 911 to death...which is good...I guess.

But is it gonna be a "real" 911 though?

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

No way no how will it be a Porsche 911.  It will be like every other plug-in, humming device except with a familiar shell plopped over it.  Just like NASCAR except they still use internal combustion... same boring chassis underneath them all.

• Agree 1

The sound of a Chrysler starter motor... or a Ford 5.0 when it revs, the snap and crackle of the new ZR-1 as it acquits itself at the top of the food chain... these are the things that make me love cars.  Even my "Jeepiat" with its modest little 2.4 has a character of its own.  Why would I willingly choose to lose these things that give me joy, that elicit an emotional response?  There can be no joy in the hum of an electric motor, they all sound the same, they all produce the same result in their distance from emotion and thought and hope for a happy journey to a given destination.  The "convenience" of the rise of electrical devices of most ilks (phones that produce zombies are another thing) will kill the human spirit of adventure.  It has already contributed to the ruination of constructive social behaviour by isolating us.  We are all slaves.

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

No way no how will it be a Porsche 911.  It will be like every other plug-in, humming device except with a familiar shell plopped over it.  Just like NASCAR except they still use internal combustion... same boring chassis underneath them all.

But..isnt that how MOST ICE cars are now?

The interior bits are also shared...when a  C6 Vette has the EXACT same steering wheel as the same year Malibu...

All steering wheels actually come from that one same supplier...

Engines are no longer being built to a specific taste on a specific type of car. Very few engines have that specialness to them. But even then, they are shared across the corporate parent.

About that...noises coming from those engines are muted greatly...(most of the time)

All the "negative" driving characteristics have been nannied to death with computer controlled helpers. Oversteer, understeer, torquesteer...all neutered and negated.

All the good stuff too, all have computer aided shyte on them. Oversteer, understeer, acceleration, rev  matching manual shifting, all done with computers...

Therefore...the hate for EVs in that regard....maybe for nothing...

Just now, ocnblu said:

The sound of a Chrysler starter motor... or a Ford 5.0 when it revs, the snap and crackle of the new ZR-1 as it acquits itself at the top of the food chain... these are the things that make me love cars.  Even my "Jeepiat" with its modest little 2.4 has a character of its own.  Why would I willingly choose to lose these things that give me joy, that elicit an emotional response?  There can be no joy in the hum of an electric motor, they all sound the same, they all produce the same result in their distance from emotion and thought and hope for a happy journey to a given destination.  The "convenience" of the rise of electrical devices of most ilks (phones that produce zombies are another thing) will kill the human spirit of adventure.  It has already contributed to the ruination of constructive social behaviour by isolating us.  We are all slaves.

I agree with you here...except for the Jeepiat engine part...

If it "feels" like its unique...its a computer thing that makes you have that illusion.

The same could be done to an electric motor, maybe...

An EV will NEVER idle like a MOPAR V8...but its acceleration will always be like a rocket ship...

But really, dont you think its sad that both Chevy and Dodge have to add LARGER superchargers to their already supercharged beast of  V8s to have a different, but same to a certain extent, of their Z06 and Hellcat engines to propel their ZR1 and Demon  cars?

BTW...a supercharger was both added to the base engines to get the Z06 and Hellcat...

OK...stronger internals, but basically same block as base engines...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

I'm not talking about steering wheels.  Wow.

Read CLOSER...

YOU always do that when somebody challenges you...

DONT dismiss by finding a little thing...LOOK at the BIGGER picture...

But yeah...EVEN steering wheels...

A 1966 Toronado steering wheel was special...so was a 1970 442 that was different to the Toronado's

The 1966 Riviera was different to the Toronado's and so was the GSX's to the 442 which all were different to the GTO and the Corvette...

So yeah...

A  C6 steering wheel that is the same as a Malibu is EXACTLY how YOU want the EV argument to go down...but YOU dont want to admit to it because it puts a kink in your view of EVs as ICE  cars today have started that trend...and YOU dont want to admit it!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

Why would I willingly choose to lose these things that give me joy, that elicit an emotional response?  There can be no joy in the hum of an electric motor, they all sound the same, they all produce the same result in their distance from emotion and thought and hope for a happy journey to a given destination.  The "convenience" of the rise of electrical devices of most ilks (phones that produce zombies are another thing) will kill the human spirit of adventure.  It has already contributed to the ruination of constructive social behaviour by isolating us.  We are all slaves.

You really are ignorant of EV motors, they DO NOT all sound the same, they DO NOT all drive the same, If you spent any time educating yourself to at least understand the EV auto, you would find that every EV maker has clearly built a motor with it's own distinct sound. Just as Harley Davidson's Live Wire electric Bike has it's own distinct sound from the other 20+ bike builders as well as the Chevy Bolt compared to a Tesla both have their own distinct sound.

Quieter Yes, All sounding the same? NO Just a whole new world of sounds to enjoy and take in.

Killing the Human Spirit, WOW you really are digging for every reason to resist change. This has expanded the human spirit and improved social behavior. Technology has allowed humans to communicate and work with each other in ways never before achieved.

You complain about the Amish comments and yet you are not willing to expand your mind to understand the point being made of growing oneself to improve yourself and what you contribute to humanity over all.

There is so much to learn and experience. It really amazes me why you fear them so much as you attempt to bring up every excuse to hate them when you clearly have not even done research to understand them.

The ability to have time with other humans where you can have a conversation in your auto rather than be drowned out by the noise. Automation of driving will allow people to interact more while in transit, The ability to work, plus do things even I have not thought of yet is what is great about the evolution of the auto industry.

I doubt very much that someone driving a ZR1 on a driving enjoyment road is really having much of a conversation and most of the time when I see Enthusiast out on a road driving trip much like bike riders, they are alone enjoying their aggressive driving, not socializing with others. That might come when they are stopped at a rest stop or place to eat. Socializing then, 

I have seen more Tesla Clubs out socializing with families and kids than I have seen at the Porsche or Corvette clubs.

So based on my own observations, the Destruction of Social Behavior by isolating us is what has become from the Corvette and Porsche clubs where you have individuals focused on themselves rather than others.

Harley Davidson Livewire Sound.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

the snap and crackle of the new ZR-1 as it acquits itself at the top of the food chain... these are the things that make me love cars. 

You say that up above...

But then you say this down below...

4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

It will be like every other plug-in, humming device

yet IGNORE the fact that the ZR1 ALMOST has the same whining noises as you find in an EV as a supercharger whine is just that...NOT an ENGINE RUMBLING NOISE but a whiny afterthought of a noise DROWNING out the V8 rumble you cherish so dearly...

How many naturally aspirated performance engines are still around?

The base engines of those...sure!

But the top dog ones are all force fed by devices that make crappy noises.

A turbo aint better...

PSSSSSS. PSSSSSS. blow valve sounds are just as annoying...

The Voodoo is just about the only 500 naturally aspirated horses around...

1 engine in an ICE car is not my idea of what YOU are trying to disprove of when it comes to EVs...

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

the irony in this...is that the Chrysler starter motor...and all starter motors for that matter...  are all ELECTRIC motors...

Yes..it's too bad they didn't bring back that starter sound for the Challenger and Charger...would be a cool retro touch. 

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Read CLOSER...

YOU always do that when somebody challenges you...

DONT dismiss by finding a little thing...LOOK at the BIGGER picture...

But yeah...EVEN steering wheels...

A 1966 Toronado steering wheel was special...so was a 1970 442 that was different to the Toronado's

The 1966 Riviera was different to the Toronado's and so was the GSX's to the 442 which all were different to the GTO and the Corvette...

So yeah...

A  C6 steering wheel that is the same as a Malibu is EXACTLY how YOU want the EV argument to go down...but YOU dont want to admit to it because it puts a kink in your view of EVs as ICE  cars today have started that trend...and YOU dont want to admit it!

Links please

Just now, ocnblu said:

Links please

Make fun all you want...but here is proof!

1966 Toronado steering wheel

olds_steering_large.jpg

259432.jpg.2b71485314fea5808ca785a8c24c6

1970 442

35250_0b86f63f00_low_res.jpg

1970 GSX

c79fd5592c1dd30c960cbf9e049e8a7f--dashbo

1970 GTO

1970_GTO-3.jpg

1969 Corvette

1968-Corvette-steering-wheel-16-inch-DSC

ooops....it looks like a Vette does indeed have the same steering wheel as a Buick...

Modern times

0712_03z+2009_chevrolet_corvette_ZR1+ste

Malibu

chevy-malibu-steering-wheel.jpg

You think you got me? On semantics?

It just proves that homogenizing starting during the golden age of ICED muscle cars...

You know...your other argument....

• Haha 1