William Maley

Acura News: Acura Turns Its Attention Back To Their Sedans

Acura's crossover lineup has been a bright spot for the Japanese automaker. For example, the redesigned RDX has been setting monthly sales records for sixth straight months since being launched in June. According to Automotive News, deliveries of the RDX "are outpacing 2017 by 22 percent." A fair number of automakers would take this as a sign to continue building out their crossover lineup. But Acura will instead focus on their car lineup.

"We don't know what's going to happen in the future. What's critical is that we stay disciplined and balanced. [We'll] do our best to hit home runs with our sedans also," said Acura General Manager Jon Ikeda.

Acura wants to emulate the success of the RDX onto their sedans. That means bringing a more aggressive design and adding more performance to their three sedans - the ILX, TLX, and RLX.

But what about the CDX?!

For a time, we have been hearing murmurs about Acura possibly bringing over the CDX from China. The CDX shares the same platform as the Honda HR-V, but features an extroverted design.  But an Acura spokesman tells Automotive News that the RDX "can reach down into that smaller segment with its pricing and sway consumers with its added room."

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article

Yawn, so in other worlds, their head in the sand approach will stay as is as they are too afraid to compete.

8 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Yawn, so in other worlds, their head in the sand approach will stay as is as they are too afraid to compete.

Compete with whom?  Lexus, BMW? They are entry level luxury, and they are probably fine with that position.

In a recent Motor Trend comparison between XT4, QX50 and RDX, RDX won.  So applying what they did in RDX should work for them.

17 minutes ago, ykX said:

Compete with whom?  Lexus, BMW? They are entry level luxury, and they are probably fine with that position.

In a recent Motor Trend comparison between XT4, QX50 and RDX, RDX won.  So applying what they did in RDX should work for them.

Cadillac seeming lost that comparo because it was noticeably smaller than the RDX.  Either way.. 

The idea that all cars should be killed or forgotten is ridiculous.. and for once I'm siding with the Japanese on this. Ford, more so than GM.. as GM still has cars just cutting out the CT6 , Impala and its sisters, and the Cruze and Volt. Truthfully if they just keep thhe CT6 and Impala I wouldn't have a problem. The Malibu/Regal, along with a Sonic redesign can easily take the sales from the death of the Cruze, LaX, while the Volt's sales can be sopped up by the Bolt.. which I could see getting a boost in range soon. Anyway.. with the STOP of the death of the CT6.. Cadillac would have the same core cars that Acura has.. small medium and large

10 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Cadillac seeming lost that comparo because it was noticeably smaller than the RDX.  Either way.. 

The idea that all cars should be killed or forgotten is ridiculous.. and for once I'm siding with the Japanese on this. Ford, more so than GM.. as GM still has cars just cutting out the CT6 , Impala and its sisters, and the Cruze and Volt. Truthfully if they just keep thhe CT6 and Impala I wouldn't have a problem. The Malibu/Regal, along with a Sonic redesign can easily take the sales from the death of the Cruze, LaX, while the Volt's sales can be sopped up by the Bolt.. which I could see getting a boost in range soon. Anyway.. with the STOP of the death of the CT6.. Cadillac would have the same core cars that Acura has.. small medium and large

Quoted for truth....and for once an economy of words and eloquence of language.  Well spoken.

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The RLX need an interior overhaul... material quality and fit is well below the segment average.

The ILX feels too close to Civic. The TLX is average at best. 

The restyle on the TLX should appeal greatly to preschoolers whose vehicular styling experience comes from playing with legos while too tired for bed. Seriously.... someone saw this as a clay mock up and approved it for production?

And for once I will side with Cmicassa and against the Japanese. We loose both the Impala and CT6 and get to keep THIS?

40 minutes ago, ykX said:

Like Lincoln, their SUV's really outshine their sedans IMHO. One of my sisters just bought a new Acura SUV and loves it.  I like the technology and build quality of the TLX....latest front end refresh not so great.

51 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I think that more than afraid to compete know their market and stick to it, much like Subaru. The Japanese seem much less culturally adept at taking risks....in America...I'd rather be a hammer than a nail...in Japan...the nail that sticks up gets hammered down.

• Haha 3

MDX and RDX will continue to do well here but hard to see them growing volume much in other segments that are probably shrinking in sales but growing in competitors (Genesis, Alfa, Jag etc sedans).  I don't know why they haven't thrown the towel in on the RL/RLX yet.

1 minute ago, frogger said:

MDX and RDX will continue to do well here but hard to see them growing volume much in other segments that are probably shrinking in sales but growing in competitors (Genesis, Alfa, Jag etc sedans).  I don't know why they haven't thrown the towel in on the RL/RLX yet.

I"m sure it is coming. 

20 minutes ago, frogger said:

Its weird right? I have no clue what the sales of these vehicles outside of the U.S. are.. or if they exists since at one time Acura was a U.S/Cana. brand only. Perhaps they see profits based on the fact that most Acuras are revised styling exercises on Honda cars and SUVs with standard AWD. I have only one time, other than the NSX, felt that Acura was special.. and that was the original LEGEND COUPE. That's it. 

I think the crossovers are NA market only.  Some of the sedans are sold as Hondas in other markets, along w the NSX. 

23 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I think the crossovers are NA market only.  Some of the sedans are sold as Hondas in other markets, along w the NSX. 

Right.. but that makes my point. I find very little about Honda that appeals to me. So paying more for different styling makes no sense. With Chevy vs Buick at least.. I am buying domestic.. I am buying Buick heritage.. which exists.. and was prevalent before the Domestic haters attached the Blue Hair mantra on it as an actual characteristic. , plus I get upgraded interiors, quiet tuning, and more luxo styling. Even in terms of performance.. what does Honda really have in terms of consumer products? The Civic Si and Type R? Buick? Was a creator of the Muscle Car era with the Riviera GS,  Buick GSX, GNX, Grand National, and T-Type. Not to mention the current GS, which is a damn nice performer and even with the engine it has performs as well as many an Audi.  Acura??? I just never saw them as anything other than a Honda. And seriously.. when people say that the Corvette can't command prices above $120K.. I point to the HONDA EMBLEM (Europe/Asia) on the NSX and say WHY?

ms4c6348.jpg?itok=WvakbDlY

15 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Right.. but that makes my point. I find very little about Honda that appeals to me. So paying more for different styling makes no sense. With Chevy vs Buick at least.. I am buying domestic.. I am buying Buick heritage.. which exists.. and was prevalent before the Domestic haters attached the Blue Hair mantra on it as an actual characteristic. , plus I get upgraded interiors, quiet tuning, and more luxo styling. Even in terms of performance.. what does Honda really have in terms of consumer products? The Civic Si and Type R? Buick? Was a creator of the Muscle Car era with the Riviera GS,  Buick GSX, GNX, Grand National, and T-Type. Not to mention the current GS, which is a damn nice performer and even with the engine it has performs as well as many an Audi.  Acura??? I just never saw them as anything other than a Honda. And seriously.. when people say that the Corvette can't command prices above $120K.. I point to the HONDA EMBLEM (Europe/Asia) on the NSX and say WHY?

ms4c6348.jpg?itok=WvakbDlY

Besides being domestic, there is not many Buicks that appeal to me over Acura today to be honest.  Not talking about muscle era.  I doubt current GS is better than TLX with V6 and SH-AWD.  I like Buick Enclave and might take it over the MDX, need to drive it once, and I like the Tour X but it is no performer and probably will be gone next year. 

6 minutes ago, ykX said:

I like the Tour X but it is no performer and probably will be gone next year. 

I assume given their Opel nature, both varieties of the Regal will be gone soon. 

Buick needs to seriously upgrade the Envision soon.  Acura needs to address their infotainment issues.

Speaking of Buick, I wonder if they will be a CUV only brand in the US in a couple years (at some point I assume they will end the Opel deal for the Regals). 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1

Acura needs to kill off the RLX, that car is hopeless and in a shrinking segment.  Double Whammy.  TLX and ILX need big upgrades, really that RLX interior is about what they should be putting in an ILX.  

2 SUVs is not enough for this brand, they need a 3rd, or they'll just lose customers because you can't just ignore the segment below RDX especially as their sedan sales shrink away.

Not sure about this one....granted some of the higher end Hondas are better (and cheaper) than the Acura.

Not really impressed with the line up at all....

8 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I assume given their Opel nature, both varieties of the Regal will be gone soon. 

Not necessarily. The Buick Regal is as much a Malibu as it is an Insignia. Not to mention.. its on a GM platform designed with GM engineering

4 hours ago, regfootball said:

Acura could get by with one sedan.  Old TL sized.  No one will miss the ILX or RLX.

Agreed

15 hours ago, riviera74 said:

Buick needs to seriously upgrade the Envision soon.  Acura needs to address their infotainment issues.

MDX and TLX infotainment s@cks big time.   It seems they improved it a lot in the new RDX but it is still not as good as in Cadillac. 

19 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Not necessarily. The Buick Regal is as much a Malibu as it is an Insignia. Not to mention.. its on a GM platform designed with GM engineering

i think there is actually a contract with PSA on how long they supply Regals to the US.  They can always cancel a contract, sure.  It is clear that GM has no interest in marketing or pricing and packaging the Regal to actually succeed.

• Like 1