GM News: GM Could Be Gearing Up to Sell Lordstown

After announcing the closure of 5 plants back in November, General Motors ended production of the Chevrolet Cruze at the Lordstown Ohio assembly plant last week.  Now, Ohio Governor Mike DeWine has said that in his discussions with General Motors, that the company has plans to make an announcement in about 4 to 6 weeks.  DeWine said that it is his understanding that GM is looking to sell the plant, but that he doesn't know who GM is talking to. 

While he reiterated his uncertainty, he said

"It’s clear to me that they’re looking at not putting a new line of General Motors in there. They’re looking at something else. What that else is, I don’t know. But it’s clear from our discussions that there is something actively going on."

The governor stated he or his office is in contact with GM at least twice a week. 

View full article

I actually like DeWine, i think he might be a decent governor for us.

No other automaker will buy it because they won't want to deal with the UAW....and I can't really blame them.

Makes me think another auto company could be buying it. Tesla could sure benefit from a real assembly line for their products. I wonder about a few other EV startups that might want a move in and tweak assembly line to build. China auto company also could end up buying it.

Interesting times we live in. 

37 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Makes me think another auto company could be buying it. Tesla could sure benefit from a real assembly line for their products. I wonder about a few other EV startups that might want a move in and tweak assembly line to build. China auto company also could end up buying it.

Interesting times we live in. 

The Chinese own everything else, why not.

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I actually like DeWine, i think he might be a decent governor for us.

No other automaker will buy it because they won't want to deal with the UAW....and I can't really blame them.

Does the UAW come with the property?

4 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Rivian already bought an FCA plant for their production in Normal IL, so it would make sense for GM to sell Lordstown to some other automaker.  Which one, though?

Mitsubishi

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, dfelt said:

Makes me think another auto company could be buying it. Tesla could sure benefit from a real assembly line for their products.  

Tesla has one of those already, the former NUMMI Fremont plant...

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Does the UAW come with the property?

Possibly. There will be enormous pressure for it to be a UAW facility.

6 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Tesla has one of those already, the former NUMMI Fremont plant...

Tesla has enough problems of their own.

51 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Yeah, but they don't have a place to build the Model-Y just yet. 

True. still....waiting to see that happen. Elon is not going to want to mess with the UAW.

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Yeah, but they don't have a place to build the Model-Y just yet. 

Plus they are still assembling Model 3's in tents too. I think Tesla needs another assembly plant to handle their current sales and future with the Model-Y as I expect it to go on pre-order come the tomorrows reveal. I would not be Surprised to have Tesla start taking $1,000 pre-orders for it.