Audi News: Audi TT To Bow Out For An Electric Successor

After 20 years, Audi will be sending off the TT coupe and convertible into the great parking lot in the sky. During the brand's annual meeting today, Audi CEO Bram Schot said a new strategy focusing on sustainability means the brand has to cut a number of models that don't make economic sense.

“There will be lots of things that we won’t do any more in the future, or things that we do less. We focus maximum resources on our key projects,” said Schot.

This is part of an effort to get the brand back on track in terms of sales and profit after the diesel emission scandal which culminated in the arrest of former CEO Rupert Stadler and an 800 million euro ($895 million) fine.

Schot did reveal that the TT would be replaced by a new "emotive" electric vehicle in the same price range. No other details were given.

The TT isn't the only model on the chopping block. The R8 sportscar is being questioned as to whether or not it fits into Audi's new focus. Also, the successor to the A8 flagship may go all-electric.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article

This is totally understandable, the Avengers / Iron Man movies have made peoples interest in electric Audi's rise. I read somewhere that they were getting requests to buy versions of what Tony Stark was driving. Yet if they think Marvel movies will drive profits for them, I think they lost a seal in that engine some where. :P 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The Beetle dying is what ultimately killed the TT I think. 

The Z4 will be the only German 2-seat roadster left. 

Boxter/Cayman/718.

Mercedes SL, although that will likely become a 2+2 like the 911, only with the engine in front, as a way to replace the loss of other coupe/convertible Mercedes.

I think Audi will go electric in a pretty big way, they like to push themselves as being tech focused where as Bentley and Lamborghini are old school big gas engine focused.  Obviously they will need gas Audi's in the A4, Q5 level stuff, but the A8 might as well go EV now, they don't sell a lot and the S-class has been out powering and out performing that car forever so they might as well try something new.

3 hours ago, Potluck said:

I'm surprised they still made them at all

Why are you surprised?

These come with turbo engines... A turbo 4 cylinder and a turbo diesel.

You know...no need for a 6 cylinder because the turbo 4 is THAT good...

And unlike GM's diesel, VW's diesel is quite good...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Potluck said:

It's not about the engine, it's about the car. They don't sell in big numbers and the overall design hasn't changed much in 20 years.

Ah...

Thanx for clearing that up...not that you owe me an explanation or nuthin'...but you gotta admit...you do many of the trolly responses...and I hate that...so Im up your face wit dat...