Mercedez Benz News Mercedes Introduces the new GLB

Mercedes unveiled the Mercedes-Benz GLB at an event in Salt Lake City yesterday.   The GLB joins the GLA in the small crossover space, however it can be configured with seating for up to seven passengers.   Built on the compact, front wheel drive, transverse engine platform that is shared with the GLA, the boxy shape makes the most of its 111.4 inch wheelbase (5.1 inches longer than the GLA). The GLB can be purchased as a 5-seater or 7-seater with a second row that can slide fore and aft up to 6 inches. 

Mercedes says the boxy shape gives the GLB powerful off-road proportions, and short front and rear overhangs help with approach and departure angles. Front-wheel drive is the default, and Mercedes 4Matic all-wheel drive is optional and comes with various modes for comfort, sport, and off-road. Hill-Start assist and downhill speed regulation contribute to the GLB's off-road chops.

Powering the GLB is a 2.0 liter transverse 4-cylinder with an 8-speed automatic transmission. The engine produces 221 horsepower and 258 lb-ft of torque from 1800 rpm - 4,000 rpm. It is likely that we will later see AMG engine variants join the lineup like the 416 hp 4-cylinder that AMG just debuted

The 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLB will be in dealerships by the end of 2019. 

At a glance:

GLB 250
4MATIC

Transmission

8G-DCT
(automatic)

Displacement (cc)

Output (hp)

at rpm

Max. torque (lb-ft)

at rpm

1800 - 4000

Acceleration 0-60 mph (s)

Top speed (mph)

*Spec for load compartment capacity calculated according to VDA standards.

View full article

I don't think there is a 2019.  There is a concept vehicle that was shown at the Shanghai show in April, pictured here in another thread.  This is the production model.

Edited by Robert Hall

Glad is has “powerful off-road proportions” for the tens of people that will go off road.  Seems a bit excessive on the black plastic but I guess that makes it “off road” as we learned long ago from the Pontiac Transport Montana.

I bet these sell in big numbers, it is the only 7 seater in the segment, it looks good in and out and  the 306 hp engine is coming right after launch.  The crossover sheeple will like up all day for it.

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Looks a lot like the concept that was shown recently.  That side window profile reminds me of a mini-me version of the MKT.

There was no GLB in the US as to why I pulled from the Euro side where the GLB has been selling is my understanding.

2 minutes ago, dfelt said:

There was no GLB in the US as to why I pulled from the Euro side where the GLB has been selling is my understanding.

No, no GLB selling anywhere yet. It's international debut was yesterday in SLC.   I think that pic was just speculative fiction. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

No, no GLB selling anywhere yet. It's international debut was yesterday in SLC.   I think that pic was just speculative fiction. 

Correct, it isn’t on sale anywhere yet.  This is a new product for them and I think will be way more successful than the GLA which looks stupid.

1 minute ago, balthazar said:

Ugh: acres of cladding, another anemic engine, FWD.
WTH is mercedes doing down in this segment?

Because Audi, BMW, Lexus and Infiniti are also.  Compact premium crossovers are a growth segment, and it's available in 7 seat form. 

• Agree 2

So in other words, the German/japanese luxury brands continually benchmark and copy each other, right? 

Mercedes arguably has a 'tier above' reputation from the rest and they make plenty of money. They don't need a transverse, FWD subcompact 180-HP 4-bangers with linear yards of unpainted plastic trim- no matter who else (like Chevy, toyota, mazda, nissan, et al) does it. There's doing what other people are doing, and holding true to your image.

They are just doing what they can to reach more consumers, and people are really into premium brand crossovers today, regardless of whether they are FWD or RWD based.  Cadillac should get an XT3 out also...

53 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Ugh: acres of cladding, another anemic engine, FWD.
WTH is mercedes doing down in this segment?

Basically same size, price and power as an XT4.  They will have a 306 hp option and a 416 hp option which isn’t too anemic.

Small crossover is a huge volume segment, why wouldn’t Mercedes be in it with 3 entries no less.

9 minutes ago, balthazar said:

The problem for that vision is, however, that these MB shit boxes aren’t premium.

In no way does Cadillac need an XT3. Big picture, Robert.

Premium-branded, not necessarily premium product--but the zombies leasing them don't notice.    It's odd, the XT4 is actually slightly longer than the Corsair but slightly smaller than the GLB--thought it was smaller w/ it's odd, truncated rear.

An XT3 would give Cadillac something closer to the size of the GLA, X2 and UX, and it would probably sell well.  Hot market.

Edited by Robert Hall

Cadillac MUST, in any forward-looking planning, MUST keep its recent volume in the forefront. There already isn’t enough volume to support both the CT5 & CT4. Add to that there’s not enough volume to support a full catalog that matches all tiers that brands selling double the volume struggle at, and the path is clear. 

Keep the mission tight & clear and stick to it. Volume low? Keep the upper tiers, cultivate your image, dump the low margin low priced stuff.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I like the white one.  Never liked giant fake black air intakes in bumpers, so the "sporty" trim level is out.  The interior is way cool in black and brown.  Dash is futuristic, kinda cool... but only if it doesn't wash out in sunlight.  So you're saying this is available as a 5-seater?  I was confused by the article a little bit.

5 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

I like the white one.  Never liked giant fake black air intakes in bumpers, so the "sporty" trim level is out.  The interior is way cool in black and brown.  Dash is futuristic, kinda cool... but only if it doesn't wash out in sunlight.  So you're saying this is available as a 5-seater?  I was confused by the article a little bit.

I think there is a typo in the original post above, it says  The GLA can be purchased as a 5-seater or 7-seater with a second row that can slide fore and aft up to 6 inches.   I think that should read GLB.  Another sentence references the GLC, when it should be GLB.    Nomenclature confusion?

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Cadillac MUST, in any forward-looking planning, MUST keep its recent volume in the forefront. There already isn’t enough volume to support both the CT5 & CT4. Add to that there’s not enough volume to support a full catalog that matches all tiers that brands selling double the volume struggle at, and the path is clear. 

Keep the mission tight & clear and stick to it. Volume low? Keep the upper tiers, cultivate your image, dump the low margin low priced stuff.

The new Lincoln Aviator is RWD.  Why won't Cadillac build a RWD unibody crossover since the death knell of the original SRX?  Mercedes and (especially) BMW sell RWD CUVs all the time.  Certainly, given the current Cadillac lineup, there is room for a RWD CUV NOT named Escalade (which is a RWD BOF SUV).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, riviera74 said:

The new Lincoln Aviator is RWD.  Why won't Cadillac build a RWD unibody crossover since the death knell of the original SRX?  Mercedes and (especially) BMW sell RWD CUVs all the time.  Certainly, given the current Cadillac lineup, there is room for a RWD CUV NOT named Escalade (which is a RWD BOF SUV).

GM doesn't do RWD unibody crossovers.    FWD/transverse is their sweet spot, because they can share them across four brands and many models...keep them generic and cheap to build.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

I would guess the X5 and GLE are the top 2 selling rear drive cars with a base price over $50k, in the US or globally.   I think the GLC is the #2 selling luxury crossover, RWD seems to do just fine.

And for those that want FWD, the GLB has them covered.

Edited by smk4565
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

3 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I think there is a typo in the original post above, it says  The GLA can be purchased as a 5-seater or 7-seater with a second row that can slide fore and aft up to 6 inches.   I think that should read GLB.  Another sentence references the GLC, when it should be GLB.    Nomenclature confusion?

Fixed my typos. If they had real names it wouldn't be this easy to screw up.

• Agree 1

Well good the GLB can outsell the Lexus RX if people want FWD, since the GLB looks better, is cheaper, faster if you get an AMG, and has more tech and better infotainment and seats 7. 

That is part of why the GLB is here, Acura, Volvo, Lexus, etc have had it too easy, Mercedes and BMW dominate those upper segments, that the Japanese mostly don't even bother.  Well now Mercedes is coming for them in those lower luxury segments with the A-class and GLB.

14 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

GM doesn't do RWD unibody crossovers.    FWD/transverse is their sweet spot, because they can share them across four brands and many models...keep them generic and cheap to build.

That doesn't mean a RWD unibody couldn't be shares across four brands. The Aviator's platform is shares with the new Explorer in the same way. 

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

That doesn't mean a RWD unibody couldn't be shares across four brands. The Aviator's platform is shares with the new Explorer in the same way. 

I can't imagine GM doing that, though...they seem very committed to generic FWD/transverse appliances.   I'm surprised Ford went with a RWD unibody approach. 

I think Ford will probably end up using the new Explorer/Lincoln platform for the Mustang.  It would be dumb for any company to release a new unibody platform that does not lend itself well to multiple body types (sedan/CUV etc).

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, frogger said:

I think Ford will probably end up using the new Explorer/Lincoln platform for the Mustang.  It would be dumb for any company to release a new unibody platform that does not lend itself well to multiple body types (sedan/CUV etc). 

Yes, I saw that somewhere that the next Mustang will likely be on the Explorer platform...

12 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Well good the GLB can outsell the Lexus RX if people want FWD, since the GLB looks better, is cheaper, faster if you get an AMG, and has more tech and better infotainment and seats 7. 

That is part of why the GLB is here, Acura, Volvo, Lexus, etc have had it too easy, Mercedes and BMW dominate those upper segments, that the Japanese mostly don't even bother.  Well now Mercedes is coming for them in those lower luxury segments with the A-class and GLB.

You forgot to mention less reliable (which is the biggest selling point of the RX btw) and in a smaller class of CUVs (the RX is 11 inches longer). Guess you can add less room than the RX as well. That has to make me wonder. Why does a shorter CUV even bother with a third row seat? Should make human heads happy but I can’t imagine anything larger than that wanting to occupy that small space (thinking older Highlander 3rd row here which was equally unusable). 

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

You forgot to mention less reliable (which is the biggest selling point of the RX btw) and in a smaller class of CUVs (the RX is 11 inches longer). Guess you can add less room than the RX as well. That has to make me wonder. Why does a shorter CUV even bother with a third row seat? Should make human heads happy but I can’t imagine anything larger than that wanting to occupy that small space (thinking older Highlander 3rd row here which was equally unusable). 

Maybe targeting Asian markets?   There are markets where people want small 3 row vehicles.

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Maybe targeting Asian markets?   There are markets where people want small 3 row vehicles.

I guess but I have tried to sit in some of these smaller three row vehicles and they are utterly useless. Even if they have the Asian market in mind, they could have just as easily left that off for the American market. People here demand a little more “head” room than what that will probably offer. 

2 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

I guess but I have tried to sit in some of these smaller three row vehicles and they are utterly useless. Even if they have the Asian market in mind, they could have just as easily left that off for the American market. People here demand a little more “head” room than what that will probably offer. 

I assume the 3rd row in compact and midsize SUVs are for children, not adults.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Plus, it's optional so they don't need to equip their vehicle with the 3rd row. 

Which is what I figured but it comes off as a marketing gimmick in a CUV that size. I wouldn’t even put children in the back of similar size CUVs with third row seating. The other issue with it is that almost completely kills the cargo room in the back.

Dad-“Okay, I got all five of the kids in the Benz for the trip”

Mom-“So where do we put all the luggage?”

I don't think it's a gimmick. If you're ordering that you know there will be occasions where it'll come in handy and you don't feel like buying and driving the next size vehicle up. 

I can't see anybody buying that expecting to use it on a regular basis but if you have young kids and know there will be times where you have to move a friend or two, this would be completely fine. 

Plus, it folds flat  so you're really not losing any space. 

Size-wise, it is similar to a Tiguan which also offers a 3rd row of seats, fwiw. 

Edited by ccap41
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Totally hit the nail on the head, on the West coast where you have large asian communities and badge snobs are a big thing, yet they are all around 5' to 5'4" tall, a 3 row cracker jack box like the GLB will sell well to them.

8 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I don't think it's a gimmick. If you're ordering that you know there will be occasions where it'll come in handy and you don't feel like buying and driving the next size vehicle up. 

I can't see anybody buying that expecting to use it on a regular basis but if you have young kids and know there will be times where you have to move a friend or two, this would be completely fine. 

Plus, it folds flat  so you're really not losing any space. 

Size-wise, it is similar to a Tiguan which also offers a 3rd row of seats, fwiw. 

Not to nitpick here but if any friend asks me to sit back there, I’m going to tell them “no” and that’s being nice about it. It’s absolutely a marketing gimmick IMO when it comes to vehicles this small. 

About your “food flat” remark, you missed the point of my statement. If you load it full of people, third row and all, then you have no room for stuff. I see this type of nonsense all the time. People want the look but don’t think about real usability and function. That’s all I’m going to say about it because these type of vehicles are not for folks like me anyway. 

• Agree 1