Drew Dowdell

Mercedez Benz News Mercedes Introduces the new GLB

Mercedes unveiled the Mercedes-Benz GLB at an event in Salt Lake City yesterday.   The GLB joins the GLA in the small crossover space, however it can be configured with seating for up to seven passengers.   Built on the compact, front wheel drive, transverse engine platform that is shared with the GLA, the boxy shape makes the most of its 111.4 inch wheelbase (5.1 inches longer than the GLA). The GLB can be purchased as a 5-seater or 7-seater with a second row that can slide fore and aft up to 6 inches. 

Mercedes says the boxy shape gives the GLB powerful off-road proportions, and short front and rear overhangs help with approach and departure angles. Front-wheel drive is the default, and Mercedes 4Matic all-wheel drive is optional and comes with various modes for comfort, sport, and off-road. Hill-Start assist and downhill speed regulation contribute to the GLB's off-road chops.

Powering the GLB is a 2.0 liter transverse 4-cylinder with an 8-speed automatic transmission. The engine produces 221 horsepower and 258 lb-ft of torque from 1800 rpm - 4,000 rpm. It is likely that we will later see AMG engine variants join the lineup like the 416 hp 4-cylinder that AMG just debuted

The 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLB will be in dealerships by the end of 2019. 

At a glance:

GLB 250
4MATIC

Transmission

8G-DCT
(automatic)

Displacement (cc)

Output (hp)

at rpm

Max. torque (lb-ft)

at rpm

1800 - 4000

Acceleration 0-60 mph (s)

Top speed (mph)

*Spec for load compartment capacity calculated according to VDA standards.

View full article

Yet another FWD CUV with a weak engine offering. Is this Mercedes or GM? 😁

• Upvote 2

Looks a lot like the concept that was shown recently.  That side window profile reminds me of a mini-me version of the MKT.

Does not look like there is much difference between the 2019 and 2020:

image.png

Posted (edited)

I don't think there is a 2019.  There is a concept vehicle that was shown at the Shanghai show in April, pictured here in another thread.  This is the production model.

Edited by Robert Hall

Glad is has “powerful off-road proportions” for the tens of people that will go off road.  Seems a bit excessive on the black plastic but I guess that makes it “off road” as we learned long ago from the Pontiac Transport Montana.

I bet these sell in big numbers, it is the only 7 seater in the segment, it looks good in and out and  the 306 hp engine is coming right after launch.  The crossover sheeple will like up all day for it.

I can't decide if I like it or if it is a Mercedes-Mitsubishi Colt Vista / Honda Element crossover.... 

A little Honda Element in the headlights,  the D pillar looks off a GLS.  I think they wanted some GLK squareness but had to keep with the smooth body lines theme of the current cars.

I do like the way that interior is trimmed, exterior I could go either way.. It looks like a wagon to me, but I have no problem with wagons. 

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Looks a lot like the concept that was shown recently.  That side window profile reminds me of a mini-me version of the MKT.

There was no GLB in the US as to why I pulled from the Euro side where the GLB has been selling is my understanding.

2 minutes ago, dfelt said:

There was no GLB in the US as to why I pulled from the Euro side where the GLB has been selling is my understanding.

No, no GLB selling anywhere yet. It's international debut was yesterday in SLC.   I think that pic was just speculative fiction. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

No, no GLB selling anywhere yet. It's international debut was yesterday in SLC.   I think that pic was just speculative fiction. 

Correct, it isn’t on sale anywhere yet.  This is a new product for them and I think will be way more successful than the GLA which looks stupid.

Posted (edited)

Ugh: acres of cladding, another anemic engine, FWD.
WTH is mercedes doing down in this segment?

Edited by balthazar
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, balthazar said:

Because Audi, BMW, Lexus and Infiniti are also.  Compact premium crossovers are a growth segment, and it's available in 7 seat form. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Because Audi, BMW, Lexus and Infiniti are also.  Compact premium crossovers are a growth segment, and it's available in 7 seat form. 

Cadillac, Lincoln, Jaguar, Porsche, Alfa, Land/Range Rover....

• Upvote 1

So in other words, the German/japanese luxury brands continually benchmark and copy each other, right? 

Mercedes arguably has a 'tier above' reputation from the rest and they make plenty of money. They don't need a transverse, FWD subcompact 180-HP 4-bangers with linear yards of unpainted plastic trim- no matter who else (like Chevy, toyota, mazda, nissan, et al) does it. There's doing what other people are doing, and holding true to your image.

They are just doing what they can to reach more consumers, and people are really into premium brand crossovers today, regardless of whether they are FWD or RWD based.  Cadillac should get an XT3 out also...

53 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Basically same size, price and power as an XT4.  They will have a 306 hp option and a 416 hp option which isn’t too anemic.

Small crossover is a huge volume segment, why wouldn’t Mercedes be in it with 3 entries no less.

The problem for that vision is, however, that these MB shit boxes aren’t premium.

In no way does Cadillac need an XT3. Big picture, Robert.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, balthazar said:

The problem for that vision is, however, that these MB shit boxes aren’t premium.

In no way does Cadillac need an XT3. Big picture, Robert.

Premium-branded, not necessarily premium product--but the zombies leasing them don't notice.    It's odd, the XT4 is actually slightly longer than the Corsair but slightly smaller than the GLB--thought it was smaller w/ it's odd, truncated rear.

An XT3 would give Cadillac something closer to the size of the GLA, X2 and UX, and it would probably sell well.  Hot market.

Edited by Robert Hall

Cadillac MUST, in any forward-looking planning, MUST keep its recent volume in the forefront. There already isn’t enough volume to support both the CT5 & CT4. Add to that there’s not enough volume to support a full catalog that matches all tiers that brands selling double the volume struggle at, and the path is clear. 

Keep the mission tight & clear and stick to it. Volume low? Keep the upper tiers, cultivate your image, dump the low margin low priced stuff.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

It looks like a minivan turned into a crossover. Look how well that turned out for GM, but I bet this will sell better than those 4.

I like the white one.  Never liked giant fake black air intakes in bumpers, so the "sporty" trim level is out.  The interior is way cool in black and brown.  Dash is futuristic, kinda cool... but only if it doesn't wash out in sunlight.  So you're saying this is available as a 5-seater?  I was confused by the article a little bit.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

I like the white one.  Never liked giant fake black air intakes in bumpers, so the "sporty" trim level is out.  The interior is way cool in black and brown.  Dash is futuristic, kinda cool... but only if it doesn't wash out in sunlight.  So you're saying this is available as a 5-seater?  I was confused by the article a little bit.

I think there is a typo in the original post above, it says  The GLA can be purchased as a 5-seater or 7-seater with a second row that can slide fore and aft up to 6 inches.   I think that should read GLB.  Another sentence references the GLC, when it should be GLB.    Nomenclature confusion?

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Cadillac MUST, in any forward-looking planning, MUST keep its recent volume in the forefront. There already isn’t enough volume to support both the CT5 & CT4. Add to that there’s not enough volume to support a full catalog that matches all tiers that brands selling double the volume struggle at, and the path is clear. 

Keep the mission tight & clear and stick to it. Volume low? Keep the upper tiers, cultivate your image, dump the low margin low priced stuff.

The new Lincoln Aviator is RWD.  Why won't Cadillac build a RWD unibody crossover since the death knell of the original SRX?  Mercedes and (especially) BMW sell RWD CUVs all the time.  Certainly, given the current Cadillac lineup, there is room for a RWD CUV NOT named Escalade (which is a RWD BOF SUV).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1