Alternative Fuels & Propulsion RANDOM

More AWESOME FORD Mach-E Marketing!!!

Ford is just killing it with quality marketing and an EV that just Rocks. Excited to be able to see one and sit in one to see how it fits me and the wife.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/19/canada-is-set-to-have-one-the-worlds-biggest-green-hydrogen-plants.html

Thyssenkrupp said the new facility will be constructed in Varennes, Québec, and will be able to generate 11,100 metric tons of green hydrogen per year.

The hydrogen and oxygen produced by the unit — the oxygen is a by-product of the process — is set to be used at a biofuel plant to generate biofuels for use in transportation. Commissioning of the green hydrogen facility is slated for the end of 2023.

ICE is not going anywhere anytime soon. Ive read from multiple sources that hydrogen is preferred over electric in the trucking transportation business. 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 2

Shell has announced that they hit peak oil production / gas production in 2019 and have been for the last 5 years diversifying their business to cover from green energy such as wind farms to charging businesses to carbon capture to help other businesses reduce their carbon foot print.

Shell like BP Oil plans to be carbon neutral by 2050.

Shell admits it's past peak oil, eyes carbon offsets as a business opportunity (greencarreports.com)

Affordable EVs are here, perfect for @ocnblu You can get yours on Alibaba for only $3,200 and they will ship it to you for your doorstep delivery.

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

I found the perfect weekend road rally or just plain fun play car for @A Horse With No Name

They do have an interesting EUV too. Check out the web site for this EV Startup.

ALPHA ACE™ RESERVATION — Alpha Motor Corporation (alphamotorinc.com)

Alpha Motor Company has the following EV cars for sale.

image.png

image.png

image.png

1 minute ago, ocnblu said:

Is that the new electric Escalade

Naw, that is your new Jeep Knock off! :P 

• Haha 3
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

I know reality is hard, but those are all renders.  They're NOT REAL.

And if you actually looked at the web site you would see that it clearly states these are renders of what the actual EVs are expected to look like as they get things started for this EV startup.

Awesome way to plow your side walk, driveway, etc.

@Robert Hall This would make clearing your driveway fun and probably easier.

Looks like for sale @ Tamiya USA

Shoveling Snow Is a Lot More Fun With a $2,500+ RC Mercedes-Benz Unimog Snowplow (thedrive.com)

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, David said:

I found the perfect weekend road rally or just plain fun play car for @A Horse With No Name

They do have an interesting EUV too. Check out the web site for this EV Startup.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Could be the Renegade's baby brother.   I kind of like the look of those Alpha coupes...

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

Me too, but vaporware is vaporware. 

Yes, Mr Negativity, they are renders.  But presumably they are renders of future product...sounds  like Alpha Motor Corporation (AMC--heh heh) has investors and a business plan to bring product to market...time will tell if they can realize that vision.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 3

11 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Honesty is the best policy when dealing with "complex reality".

Since we are being “honest” here, I’m just surprised that you could type that without openly bursting into flames due to the pure hypocritical nature of it.

No further explanation needed.

• Agree 2

Seems redundant and not different enough from the regular Bolt.  Longer wheelbase = more rear legroom, but it has the same, or LESS cargo space than the regular model, plus it still has that uneven load floor... and NO AWD.  What is the point?

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

"...automatic emergency braking, forward collision alert, lane keep assist with lane departure warning, following distance Indicator and front pedestrian braking"

Oh; no thank you!!

EUV does seem like a minimal effort. Biggest positive change is the price- a first in a BE vehicle (sticker actually went down).

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

Seems redundant and not different enough from the regular Bolt.  Longer wheelbase = more rear legroom, but it has the same, or LESS cargo space than the regular model, plus it still has that uneven load floor... and NO AWD.  What is the point?

While I agree about the lack of AWD (weight was clearly the issue here as it kills range), the rest of your post lacks context and shows that you are possibly nitpicking certain things, like the load floor. Example:

Bolt EUVF01A2999-ECD2-46B1-B89A-42930C63E081.jpeg.e89e45ad2adbc7ffbee8976d3faa587b.jpeg

The Buick Encore GX

87CAEA4E-5219-43C3-9D04-15CDE7CC3825.thumb.jpeg.c7ef59d0404c681e90415dfb53b6b97e.jpeg

Same “issue” and one that is common on a lot of CUVs. 

And while its not my cup of tea, at least the entry Bolt dropped $5500 in price which is something certain members about complained over since day one.

• Agree 2

Here it is with the flimsy false floor removed.  Pain in the butt.  Also, looks like they've gone from white to black on the interior this time.  I just do not see the purpose of the EUV, (or keeping the original, whichever way you want to slice it) I mean it has more rear seat legroom, but LESS CARGO ROOM than the original.  Silly duplication of efforts.

2022-chevrolet-bolt-euv-117-1613167413.jpg

Edited by ocnblu

9 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Here it is with the false floor removed.  Pain in the butt.

2022-chevrolet-bolt-euv-117-1613167413.jpg

Again, that’s in most CUVs and it has a real easy solution. Leave the flat floorboard cover in place. The area shown underneath is for stashing small stuff or carrying groceries more securely anyway. My old Magnum was like that as are a lot of hatchbacks and CUVs. The Envision you were hyping the other day has a similar removable floorboard cover.

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 2

The Envision is built in China which makes it persona non grata.  I was only reminiscing about the Grand National because my local dealer has a blacked-out Envision ST.  The Envision is not a pimple on a Regal Grand National's butt cheek.  There is a distinction there.

As far as the Bolt/EUV, Chevy went to the trouble of completely separate exterior body stampings between the two... but they are so similar, I dare say the typical consumer will not be able to tell them apart.  Baffling.

• Agree 1

I haven't seen the specs, but I'd have to agree; I was picturing a much larger size differentiation and from the pics, the rear cargo area of the Bolt & Bolt EUV look... indistinguishable. Rear seats folding flat would be ideal, but almost no hatch / sedan's do. I don't think that would ever be a 'make or break' issue tho.

I didn't have an issue with the Bolt's styling, I think the make-over improves it nicely. This isn't on the Ultium battery, tho, since the range is the same, correct?

Price drop ($36,620 > $31,995) is excellent. Have to see if kia follows suit now.

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 2

19 minutes ago, balthazar said:

This isn't on the Ultium battery, tho, since the range is the same, correct?

Continues to be built on the old Bolt's BEV2 platform, it appears range stays the same, a little worse on the big, brawny EUV.

So for an extra $2k, all you get is a little bit more rear legroom, and the tiniest bit stronger styling (taller hood, more horizontal beltline)... ZERO extra utility.

May as well buy the regular Bolt, as it is only about $12k more than the late, lamented Cruze hatchback.  Super affordable.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

I haven't seen the specs, but I'd have to agree; I was picturing a much larger size differentiation and from the pics, the rear cargo area of the Bolt & Bolt EUV look... indistinguishable. Rear seats folding flat would be ideal, but almost no hatch / sedan's do. I don't think that would ever be a 'make or break' issue tho.

I didn't have an issue with the Bolt's styling, I think the make-over improves it nicely. This isn't on the Ultium battery, tho, since the range is the same, correct?

Price drop ($36,620 > $31,995) is excellent. Have to see if kia follows suit now.

Don’t see anything about cargo room difference between the two but the EUV Bolt is six inches longer (2.9” longer wheelbase) and rear seat legroom is three more inches than the standard Bolt (39 vs 36). It should be noted that the XT5, which is 20” longer overall than the Bolt EUV, has 39.1” of rear legroom. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I don't remember complaints about the Bolt's rear seat space, but I wasn't paying attention. 39" is decent/good. Other 3 inches could be in the rear cargo area, or split between the nose & tail. 
I would've thought more like 10-12" longer, to make a noticeable difference. 

The Buick Encore GX is only 3 inches longer than a standard Encore while there’s 6 inches between the two Bolt models. Not really that big of a deal IMO and that “not quite as long” length may be because of a future models that will be longer.

• Thanks 1

On 2/13/2021 at 7:31 PM, David said:

image.png

image.png

image.png

I will have to default to Ocnblu and the ICE crowd here, this is cool, but I am not an "Alpha" male. For the same 32 grand this next summer I could get a Wrangler or full size Bronco and a decent set of tires. 

Or more likely, ten grand for a used Honda Africa Twin and 20 grand to go travel. 

Thanks for thinking of me though!

Image result for honda africa twin

image.jpeg

Interesting that Honda is doing the same thing here that Mazda did when they brought out that other favorite car, the Miata. Mazda brought the miata out in Red, White and Blue, and then silver...Currently, they offer grey, black and....red white and blue on the Miata. 

The Japanese are very good at playhing a patriotic cord with Asian products...

13 hours ago, ocnblu said:

The Envision is built in China which makes it persona non grata.  I was only reminiscing about the Grand National because my local dealer has a blacked-out Envision ST.  The Envision is not a pimple on a Regal Grand National's butt cheek.  There is a distinction there.

As far as the Bolt/EUV, Chevy went to the trouble of completely separate exterior body stampings between the two... but they are so similar, I dare say the typical consumer will not be able to tell them apart.  Baffling.

And here I agree with you completely. Upvote for sure. 

Edited by A Horse With No Name
Capitalization. Horse can't type. Needs new horse shoes on front hooves.
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Continues to be built on the old Bolt's BEV2 platform, it appears range stays the same, a little worse on the big, brawny EUV.

So for an extra $2k, all you get is a little bit more rear legroom, and the tiniest bit stronger styling (taller hood, more horizontal beltline)... ZERO extra utility.

May as well buy the regular Bolt, as it is only about $12k more than the late, lamented Cruze hatchback.  Super affordable.

Cruze hatchback was a pig in a poke though. Best thing the domestics did was discontinue cars like the Dodge Avenger, Ford Focus, Chevy Cruze, and The like. They just screamed mediocre. Now, if we had gotten the gorgeous current Euro Focus, especially in ST and dare I say, an ST wagon, or dare I say an RS variant, we might see two blue oval products in my driveway. 

Ford, as much as I hated them and still despise a lot of things they have done, really has to work for my business. Good on them that they currently ahve the Mustang, Ranger, and Bronco as products I would be extremely interested in buying. 

1 hour ago, ykX said:

I think Bolt EV is completely redundant.  EUV slightly bigger and seems besides the extra size they are completely identical, price is not much different either.  Weird how GM does certain things.

Irrational might be a better word choice than Wierd, but yes, I agree with you. 

8 hours ago, balthazar said:

If there's the standard bolt at xxx", the Bolt EUV at XXX+6", then what; a Bolt XXX at XXX+12"?
WOuldn't that make the EUV redundant?
It's REALLY nuts the way OEMs size vehicles these days. 

Now I know why your profile pic looks so old, you are actually a Roman citizen with all of those XXX's and I's and V's and stuff. 

All hail Augustus Ceaser!

10 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

The Buick Encore GX is only 3 inches longer than a standard Encore while there’s 6 inches between the two Bolt models. Not really that big of a deal IMO and that “not quite as long” length may be because of a future models that will be longer.

Once again the voice of reason...not buying and Encore or Envision any time soon myself. 

10 hours ago, balthazar said:

I don't remember complaints about the Bolt's rear seat space, but I wasn't paying attention. 39" is decent/good. Other 3 inches could be in the rear cargo area, or split between the nose & tail. 
I would've thought more like 10-12" longer, to make a noticeable difference. 

This is the wrong forum to be wishing for another 3 inches, just saying....

On 2/12/2021 at 9:55 AM, David said:

More AWESOME FORD Mach-E Marketing!!!

Ford is just killing it with quality marketing and an EV that just Rocks. Excited to be able to see one and sit in one to see how it fits me and the wife.

They spent a lot on marketing the edsel also. I wish Ford well, let's see how this actually sells. they may well go back to building Platinium F350's as their main source of income, and give up on EV's.

I wish them well with this though, looks like a fantastic product. 

Spelling

On 2/13/2021 at 7:12 AM, ocnblu said:

I can upvote this, it's funny as eff and actually accurate. 

On 2/13/2021 at 9:28 AM, balthazar said:

Is it really pronounced ‘Tezz-la’?? 🤔

Here in Ohio, yes...the meth from the meth labs runs into the local water supply, and we all slur our speech. It's a midwestern thing, you wouldn't understand. 

On 2/13/2021 at 10:47 AM, balthazar said:

Yeah, I've seen a couple of his vids before, and obviously it's a parody, I was just checking on the pro-nunce. 
Like when you listen to a song for years and years and suddenly it clicks 'oh, THAT'S what they were saying'.

😜

We from Ohio are used to being behind the rest of the nation in many things, we experience this all of the time. 

On 2/13/2021 at 10:54 AM, oldshurst442 said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/19/canada-is-set-to-have-one-the-worlds-biggest-green-hydrogen-plants.html

ICE is not going anywhere anytime soon. Ive read from multiple sources that hydrogen is preferred over electric in the trucking transportation business. 

Not going away in my life time. Although a widow maker might be coming sooner rather than later if I don't lay off the Chorizo burritos. Lifespan is relative. We could still be fully electric by 2025 and fullfil the first line here...

On 2/13/2021 at 11:49 AM, balthazar said:

XP-883 1969 GP.png

Would we get an upvote if we reconverted this to a 428 4V? Gorgeous car, neat article...

On 2/13/2021 at 7:22 PM, David said:

Shell has announced that they hit peak oil production / gas production in 2019 and have been for the last 5 years diversifying their business to cover from green energy such as wind farms to charging businesses to carbon capture to help other businesses reduce their carbon foot print.

Shell like BP Oil plans to be carbon neutral by 2050.

Shell admits it's past peak oil, eyes carbon offsets as a business opportunity (greencarreports.com)

Affordable EVs are here, perfect for @ocnblu You can get yours on Alibaba for only $3,200 and they will ship it to you for your doorstep delivery.

In all seriousness green cars like this will keep the world on wheels and help the transformation to EV. 

@ocnblu....I would rather have a gorgeous Chevy Trail boss over this thing. You and I see eye to eye with that. 

On 2/13/2021 at 7:30 PM, ocnblu said:

Is that the new electric Escalade

The gm is really small here. 

This may help you see the company logo, Mary Barra wil charge it to her personal credit card for you. 

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnpla/38041059?cid=ppc-google-New+-+Lighting+%26+Electrical+-+PLA_sic8qhRQz___164124449219_c_S&mkwid=sic8qhRQz|dc&pcrid=164124449219&rd=k&product_id=38041059&pgrid=35979543046&ptaid=pla-468399110125&gclid=Cj0KCQiA1KiBBhCcARIsAPWqoSptgsdHWaA4fgGPk9PoxLqcx7H54Xtl8fMyt7iostM_TsdnXNJ3NuEaAtjaEALw_wcB

30" Arm, Spring Suspension, Weighted Base, LED, Light Gray, Magnifying Task Light

• Haha 1

On 2/13/2021 at 7:35 PM, David said:

And if you actually looked at the web site you would see that it clearly states these are renders of what the actual EVs are expected to look like as they get things started for this EV startup.

Awesome way to plow your side walk, driveway, etc.

@Robert Hall This would make clearing your driveway fun and probably easier.

Looks like for sale @ Tamiya USA

Shoveling Snow Is a Lot More Fun With a $2,500+ RC Mercedes-Benz Unimog Snowplow (thedrive.com)

It has a proper little ice mpower plant, so C and G approved. We once had to pull a bunch of data lines over the ceiling (drop ceiling ) 20 feet above a retail store. Getting in and setting up ladders was going to be a bitch. One of the guys had an idea, we busted out a block or two on either side of that retail space...above the ceiling...drove across with a battery powered small toy truck towing a string...pulled a rope with the string....pulled the data lines across. Done in 3 hours with a job that was bid for four days. Ate steak on the company credit card, went home and made sure the wife had an "enjoyable" evening. 

22 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Honesty is the best policy when dealing with "complex reality".

I don't come here to deal with reality, I come here to escape it. 

Image result for oscar the grouch

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, balthazar said:

If there's the standard bolt at xxx", the Bolt EUV at XXX+6", then what; a Bolt XXX at XXX+12"?
WOuldn't that make the EUV redundant?
It's REALLY nuts the way OEMs size vehicles these days. 

You’re assuming that that it would be a Bolt+12 when it could just be a completely different model entirely that is larger, which is what should happen or yes, it would be very redundant. Either way, despite the usual naysayer, both models are cheaper than the one model they replace so that is a step in the right direction. 

• Agree 3

10 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

You’re assuming that that it would be a Bolt+12 when it could just be a completely different model entirely that is larger, which is what should happen or yes, it would be very redundant. Either way, despite the usual naysayer, both models are cheaper than the one model they replace so that is a step in the right direction. 

I actually have a lot of faith in GM do do the right thing at the point in time, far more than I have had for awhile. 

That being said, when it comes to GM's current offerings, give me a ZR2 Colorado or give me nothing at all...

This just effin rocks. Right now, in addition to the cars I have loved for forever...GTI, Mustang, Miata...the only things with sppeal to me on the market right now are midsize trucks and Hot Hatches like the Civic Type R. And by extension, Wrangler and Bronco...which are kissing cousins of the Ranger and Gladiator. 

Well I always liked the Bolt, I've always said it is the most accessible EV on the market, and it continues to be so.  The MCE improves it stylistically, if not functionally.  The lower MSRP might spur a few thousand more sales per yerr, but honestly it is still $10k overpriced for what it is... a compact hatchback.  If Barra wishes to give a good number of customers away in her EV virtue signaling quest, that is her prerogative.  I don't see it ending well for her when she has no $18k vehicle at Chevrolet to sell, and EV is flat out not practical for "everyone", let alone EVERYONE.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Well I always liked the Bolt, I've always said it is the most accessible EV on the market, and it continues to be so.  The MCE improves it stylistically, if not functionally.  The lower MSRP might spur a few thousand more sales per yerr, but honestly it is still $10k overpriced for what it is... a compact hatchback.  If Barra wishes to give a good number of customers away in her EV virtue signaling quest, that is her prerogative.  I don't see it ending well for her when she has no $18k vehicle at Chevrolet to sell, and EV is flat out not practical for "everyone", let alone EVERYONE.

A little high, yes but in a world where there are 3 cylinder Trailblazers selling for $32K, its not THAT high.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

So....if Im to understand, Chevrolet is actually offering a brand new electric vehicle, that actually went DOWN in price, yet here we are, questioning the dimensions of it and how closely it resembles the older model? With a few shytty reasons to hate it. (BIG surprise there...)  

Range staying the same, the vehicle becoming slightly bigger, BUT the price dropping a WHOPPING 5 grand yet we are bitchin' about useless things. A REAL 5 grand too. Not a phantom price that the consumer will NEVER see...

The point is, as I called it, AFFORDABILITY for EVs starts and ends with the old guard OEMs.  The ones that are established with factories built loooong ago, with the expertise in manufacturing quickly and with economies of scale.   

I wanna know why we arent focusing on the, what I deem to be, a BREAKTHROUGH in the START of AFFORDABILITY of EVs coming from General Motors..

THIS on the heals of Tesla announcing a 25 thousand dollar EV...

https://electrek.co/2021/01/08/tesla-25000-electric-car-coming-sooner-than-we-thought/

I think talking about a REDUCTION in price for EVs seems a more interesting conversation than what you folk have been doing...

But that is just me, I guess...  

• Agree 2

And while some still bring up the price being too high when compared to say, a Chevy Cruze, they are ignoring what the Bolt offers standard and what the Cruze NEVER had. And I quote,

The bow-tie brand also offers the Bolt EUV with a sunroof (a first for any Bolt-badged model), surround-view camera, adaptive cruise control, and Super Cruise, the driver-assist system that enables hands-free driving on more than 200,000 miles of designated roads in the United States and Canada.”

So its not really a “$10K” price difference between the Bolt and defunct Cruze (which in higher trims was closer to $30K than $20K btw) when you compare apples to apples instead of apples to obvious oranges.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

44 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

give me a ZR2 Colorado or give me nothing at all...

Maybe its a tad out of your price range...

But as far as lust goes...  and if you truly were in here to escape reality...maybe this could have been ALSO been included in your GM list.    

Freedom mode sounds AWESOME no matter what side of the EV fence you sit on.  

Edited by Drew Dowdell
No name calling, even through insinuation
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

But as far as lust goes...  and if you truly were in here to escape reality...maybe this could have been ALSO been included in your GM list.    Or are you catering to the resident troll as to make him feel comfortable in his safe space?    

I have zero motivation to be on any side of any fence.

I consider vehicle size to be important when going off road or into back country areas or in driving in urban environments. I actually like the Trail Boss better in some ways, but size would push me into the ZR2 if I was dropping 50 large on a truck. 

Or a Ranger Tremor, or Gladiator. I am non descriminatory when it comes to midsize trucks. 

Edited by Drew Dowdell
Edited

32 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Delusional with a CAPTIAL D, Days of $18K auto's are over. EVERYTHING is more expensive especially due to a FAILED Trade war that increased costs for US Consumers. Facts! Welcome to the 21st Century!

Average New-Vehicle Prices Jump Nearly 4% Year-Over-Year in August 2020, According to Kelley Blue Book - Sep 1, 2020 (kbb.com)

image.png

image.png

Driving is a privilege earned and NOT a right. 

We have already covered the average cost of an auto and no company will go backwards. Your $25K auto is the new $15K auto. Reality sucks, but you have a choice, further education, further career growth or stagnant income.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

11 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

But as far as lust goes...  and if you truly were in here to escape reality...maybe this could have been ALSO been included in your GM list.    Or are you catering to the resident troll as to make him feel comfortable in his safe space?    

But that is neither here nor there...   

The rest of my aggressive post is just me busting your chops...for hilarity.

Image result for and this is where we all lean back and laugh gif

Edited by Drew Dowdell
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

So its not really a “$10K” price difference between the Bolt and defunct Cruze (which in higher trims was closer to $30K than $20K btw) when you compare apples to apples instead of apples to obvious oranges.

You're right, it is WAY more with those OPTIONAL items grouped as GM does.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2