Alternative Fuels & Propulsion RANDOM

8 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

What does the state of NJ and blowing a shyte ton of money have to do with privately owned gasoline stations in NJ being 100% fully functional and operational 100% of the time? 

I already stated above : 'of course NJ is not responsible for privately-owned stations.'

And I would say 99% of the time, TBH. ;)

On 1/13/2021 at 8:18 PM, oldshurst442 said:

I dont  know where to post this... Ill post this here

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/average-new-car-price-2020/

Average new car price in the US is now @ 40 thousand US dollars.   

Something to think about. 

That is truly SAD.  Remember when the average new car price was about $25K or less?

• Agree 1

I was pondering on that thought as to why vehicles have reached that high of a price.

We cant blame EVs as like Balthy said, EVs are a very small piece of the pie.

We also cant blame the switch to CUVs/SUVs over their sedan counterparts  even though these types of vehicles are what the market demands.  Why?  Because there are PLENTY of CUVs and SUVs BELOW 40Gs that arent being bought. Or those that START below 40Gs end up crossing that line because people are opting for the top of the line versions.  

Or is it because automakers are pushing fully fully equipped vehicles down our throats?  I dont think that is the case.  Even with the new Corvette C8.  People are NOT ordering the 59 000-65 000 dollar versions.  I think I read somewhere  that the ATP for the C8 is 80Gs.  

I honestly think its the consumer's demand for fully equipped vehicles that have pushed the prices to these heights.

There are hardly any strippers (cars with no options rather than exotic dancers) that are available AT ANY niche.

What is scary though, how long could this upward trend in prices continue? 

• Like 1

I read the article...about the Sondors Metacycle 

Cool product.

But I dont want to talk about that.

Two sentences in and this is what caught my brain...

The average American commute is a paltry 12 miles. The average American drives no more than 25 miles per day.

Im just leaving it at that. (Normally that tidbit of info is very banal, but in this thread...it speaks VOLUMES...) 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Two sentences in and this is what caught my brain...

The average American commute is a paltry 12 miles. The average American drives no more than 25 miles per day.

Im just leaving it at that. (Normally that tidbit of info is very banal, but in this thread...it speaks VOLUMES...) 

My wife's commute is about 11-12 miles one way but my commute is over 40 miles one way.  However, even with my commute any EV would be fine for commuting.  Nevertheless, at this point to have both EV vehicles in the family would be simply impractical.  We often take long trips for which today's EV will not be suitable.

In regards to bike I think it is great for big cities.  The fact that you simply can take out the battery and charge in your apartment is a great idea.

Edited by ykX
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ykX said:

My wife's commute is about 11-12 miles one way but my commute is over 40 miles one way.  However, even with my commute any EV would be fine for commuting.  Nevertheless, at this point to have both EV vehicles in the family would be simply impractical.  We often take long trips for which today's EV will not be suitable.

I get what you are saying.

I hear what you are saying.

What Im about to post is NOT trying to change your mind on ANYTHING.  My posting style to which Ill reply is NOT personal, but a generalized statement. 

But alls I hear is EXCUSES.

Even if you take loooong trips. There are ways around owning two EVs in the family and no other vehicle. 

1. Price aside of the very good EVs...mainly Teslas, the range of these NOW exceed 4-5 hours straight on a freeway on a full charge.  4-5 hours straight going 65MPH is 250- 300 miles.  (even with the heater blasting or AC on high max)  (Im exhausted just typing this as we've ALREADY been down this road before...and I KNOW what kind of excuse of a rebuttal is coming next)  

2. One could just RENT a ICEV....renting is extremely CHEAP in the US.  (Yeah...about that rebuttal...I KNOW what is coming next...)

Bottom line:

Aside from EVs being extremely high in price... (but not really as a reasonably priced Tesla Model 3, Model Y, Ford Mach E ...leaving the shytty EV charging debate behind us for a moment... is just a stone throw away from the AVERAGE price of new cars today...)

Bottom bottom line:  In 2020 and ESPECIALLY going forward in the SHORT term...EVs DO work and LITTLE compromises need to be made.  The thing is...its if you are WILLING to take these LITTLE compromises.

Change is hard. I get that.   But Im tired of the same ole same ole tired excuses.

• Like 1
  • Disagree 1

13 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

The thing is...its if you are WILLING to take these LITTLE compromises.

Are YOU willing to make these LITTLE compromises?

When are you getting your EV?  As of right now none of staunch proponents of EVs on this forum have an EV.  

My wife for example drives a hybrid vehicle, which is at this point of time is the most practical compromise.  Personally, I will consider getting an EV as a commuter in 4-5 years when I will be shopping for my car. However, even in 4-5 years I don't see us having both EV vehicles.

Edited by ykX
  • Thanks 3
  • Agree 1

Regarding the bike.

Yeah...it IS a great idea. Thinking outside the box to find solutions to make it easier for ownership (and mobility). 

And when I say ownership, I dont mean EV bikes, or EV cars, or replacing manual bicycles in cities where the bicycle is in high use, or in cities where they promote bicycle usage more and more such as in Montreal, but to make over-all MOBILITY easier.   

In the summer, and when its not raining in Montreal, I could use this to go to work everyday. 

22 minutes ago, ykX said:

Are YOU willing to make these LITTLE compromises?

When are you getting your EV?  As of right now none of staunch proponents of EVs on this forum have an EV.  

My wife for example drives a hybrid vehicle, which is at this point of time is the most practical compromise.  Personally, I will consider getting and EV as a commuter in 4-5 years when I will be shopping for my car. However, even in 4-5 years I don't see us having both EV vehicles.

Sure...

My next car WILL probably BE an EV.

MY problem is NOT with EVs, its the LACK of OPTIONS to what I wanna buy.

I like Telsas.

But I dont like Teslas at the same time.  Im weary of giving them my money. For a myriad of reasons. My partner had got one. It has been a good ride for him, and he is thinking of getting another Tesla. Upgrading.  But I dont wanna be part of the Tesla family. Many many reasons. Some trivial. Some because I dont agree with Elon's way of his vision of the  future on some things...   Mainly because I prefer the traditional car maker over Tesla.  

I LIKE the Mach E.

Problem is...its an SUV. I will HOLD OFF ANY SUV ownership as LONG as I could. As long as there is a sedan or coupe available, Im buying THAT instead of a SUV

The Chevy Bolt is too small.

The Porsche Taycan is too expensive.

The Volvo EVs are NOT worthy of my money for me to buy...

Im waiting to see what VW and especially GM (and now Honda/Acura with their GM partnership) will bring.

At worst case scenario regarding EVs in the next 3-4-5 years, the next car my family will own will be an EV, and we will have an ICE in the driveway, but NOT because we dont wanna go fully on EV, but because there is a lack of options. I will probably replace the Acura in the next 3-4-5years.  We will see what is up when we do replace it. 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

MY problem is NOT with EVs, its the LACK of OPTIONS to what I wanna buy.

That is perfectly understandable. And I absolutely agree with you that as of right now the options are very limited and very few EVs are in the affordable price range.

My only issue is that NONE of the people who actively defend EVs and actively attack everyone who is anti-EV, none of them at this point of time OWN EV themselves and live with it.  I would rather someone tell me from their experience how it was driving EV vehicle for example from NJ to Montreal or to Florida (I give these examples because my family did these trips number of times).

I perfectly realize that EVs are the future, but I think we are still at least 8-10 years away from EVs being truly a fully viable option.

Edited by ykX
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

I was pondering on that thought as to why vehicles have reached that high of a price.

We cant blame EVs as like Balthy said, EVs are a very small piece of the pie.

We also cant blame the switch to CUVs/SUVs over their sedan counterparts  even though these types of vehicles are what the market demands.  Why?  Because there are PLENTY of CUVs and SUVs BELOW 40Gs that arent being bought. Or those that START below 40Gs end up crossing that line because people are opting for the top of the line versions.  

Or is it because automakers are pushing fully fully equipped vehicles down our throats?  I dont think that is the case.  Even with the new Corvette C8.  People are NOT ordering the 59 000-65 000 dollar versions.  I think I read somewhere  that the ATP for the C8 is 80Gs.  

I honestly think its the consumer's demand for fully equipped vehicles that have pushed the prices to these heights.

There are hardly any strippers (cars with no options rather than exotic dancers) that are available AT ANY niche.

What is scary though, how long could this upward trend in prices continue? 

Personally, I think it is a combination of inflation with interest rates and banks willing to give large sums of money to nearly everybody.

"for only $72 more a month(for 96 months) you can step up to the Lariat F150 with massaging seats and panoramic moonroof"  

52 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

4-5 hours straight going 65MPH is 250- 300 miles.  (even with the heater blasting

Sub 40 degree temps REALLY put a dent into range though. Something with a factory rating of 300 miles absolutely will not anywhere near 300 miles in the cold. A 30% range loss in really cold temperatures is not uncommon.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Personally, I think it is a combination of inflation with interest rates and banks willing to give large sums of money to nearly everybody.

Don't forget most new cars now come with active safety systems as standard.  That's alone is easily extra $3-4k on top of everything else, and cars didn't have that before, it is a new technology that automatically bumped the average price.

1 minute ago, ykX said:

That is perfectly understandable. And I absolutely agree with you that as of right now the options are very limited and very few EVs are in the affordable price range.

My only issue is that NONE of the people who actively defend EVs and actively attack everyone who is anti-EV, none of them at this point of time OWN EV themselves and live with it.  I would rather someone tell me from their experience how it was driving EV vehicle for example from NJ to Montreal or to Florida (I give these examples because my family did this trips number of times)

Well...

I once wrote that I had several IMMEDIATE neighbors that own Teslas and a business partner with one as well, when I countered blu with his mis-informed ideas of EV ownership and I was downvoted by...you for it.

No...not MY experiences with EVs.  

But when I said that THEIR ownership is completely 100% THE opposite of what blu was spewing, I dont think I deserved  that negative downvote...ESPECIALLY without  an explanation from you.

(Now do you understand why I say I get bullied?)

And...the folk in here DEFENDING EVs are NOT doing it by pushing an EV agenda...we are doing it to COUNTER FALSE information that is tooted as facts. (which makes ME wonder on the amount of silliness that is posted against EVs is if in fact there IS a hidden agenda against EVs) 

THAT aside...

All the close people I know that DO own EVs also have a 2nd vehicle in the family. And THOSE vehicles ALL happen to be ICEVs.  But then again, these people do NOT do long car vacation trips either way. 

Only one neighbor does family car trips. But he owns 2 ICEVs. Its my Moldavian neighbor who had negative ideas on American cars until he drove them and now owns 3 GM cars. His recent purchase: a 2019 Cadillac XT5 (350T).  

I do moderate travels. I have done Boston many many times.  As with Lake George and Quebec City.   Toronto and Ottawa a couple of times.  I sometimes rent cars. I sometimes take my own. Depending on my mood. Therefore if I had an EV, my trend of using my car or renting would stay the same.  Yeah...Id travel with an EV across the border (provincial or American) . It make me practice my internets by using apps to plan out my trip as to where Id have to stop to charge up. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

But when I said that THEIR ownership is completely 100% THE opposite of what blu was spewing, I dont think I deserved  that negative downvote...ESPECIALLY without  an explanation from you.

(Now do you understand why I say I get bullied?)

Really, you still sulking about a downvote?

I would never downvote anyone when there is a reasonable discussion going on, or even maybe not very reasonable but still polite. But when someone is name calling and cursing, that becomes a bummer.

• Thanks 1

I agree that price and (lack of) selection are two of the biggest barriers to full-on EV acceptance.  I am all for more sedans over more CUVs and SUVs but the market has spoken.  When it is time to replace my Lucerne, I will probably go CUV.  No need for me to go BOF whatsoever.  As for an EV, particularly a BEV, I can wait another decade.

15 minutes ago, ykX said:

I would never downvote anyone when there is a reasonable discussion going on, or even maybe not very reasonable but still polite. But when someone is name calling and cursing, that becomes a bummer.

Not sulking about the downvote per se.

But here you are...defending ant-EVers when they make outlandish statements...and trying to shame folk that speak with some sort of clarity regarding EVs...

59 minutes ago, ykX said:

My only issue is that NONE of the people who actively defend EVs and actively attack everyone who is anti-EV, none of them at this point of time OWN EV themselves and live with it.

And yet...MY opinion regarding trolling of misinformation gets ridiculed...

15 minutes ago, ykX said:

TROLLING of MISINFORMATION is not a bummer?  

Again..why I feel I get bullied in here.

Cursing and name calling gives you the willies...

But reading CONSTANT bullshyte does not? Well...that CONSTANT BSing gives ME the willies... 

But somehow, MY opinion that someone is CONTSANTLY  trolling gets tossed aside and I get spoken too loud and clear by YOU and CCAP...AND you keep on defending the troll...

Yup...I get bullied in here...and everybody else that has a POSITIVE view of EVs...

Anyway... 

Edited by oldshurst442

I remember this and it still holds true that while all auto's ev or ice loose performance in extreme cold or heat, it is not as extreme as some say. 

This is a great story on a Chevrolet bolt in extreme cold and how it did.

Chevy Bolt EV electric car range and performance in winter: one owner's log (greencarreports.com)

• Agree 2

I don't defend Anti-EVs. ocnblu is the only one who is unreasonably dislikes them and no one will change his opinion on the matter.  

Otherwise as far as I can see everyone else makes valid arguments for and against EVs.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

Just now, ykX said:

I don't defend Anti-EVs. ocnblu is the only one who is unreasonably dislikes them and no one will change his opinion on the matter.  

Otherwise as far as I can see everyone else makes valid arguments for and against EVs.

Im  not asking him to change his mind on EVs.  I dont care what side he is on. 

Im asking...like he does of politics...is to stop trolling about EVs...

Valid points ARE to be made for AND against when ANY discourse arises on ANY subject.

HE...does NOT discuss...

Again...why I feel I get bullied because the issues at hand ONLY SEEM TO BE DIRECTED AT ME...

I do NOT see YOU get all riled up against HIS trolling...

YOU BLINDLY defend "his opinion" directing it AT me saying NOBODY will change his mind, yet I SAY CLEARLY WHAT IRKS ME...TIME AND TIME AGAIN...and ii falls on DEAF EARS...

Im  not asking him to change his mind on EVs.  I dont care what side he is on.  Frankly, I dont give a damn! 

Im asking...like he does of politics...is to stop trolling about EVs...

Valid points ARE to be made for AND against when ANY discourse arises on ANY subject.

HE...does NOT discuss...he trolls

Lets move along from this as I do NOT want to start another war...but at least listen to what it is I have to say and do NOT try to ridicule me as you tried to do...again.  At least TRY to be sympathetic as to what it is Im saying.  Even if you dont give a damn!  But at least NOW...you know why I say I get bullied in here.  If you have any doubts...re-read YOUR responses to me while keeping what I said FRESH in your mind and see what CCAP posted... 

Back to the subject at hand...

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

Yup...I get bullied in here...

The Office Lol GIF

1 hour ago, David said:

I remember this and it still holds true that while all auto's ev or ice loose performance in extreme cold or heat, it is not as extreme as some say. 

This is a great story on a Chevrolet bolt in extreme cold and how it did.

Chevy Bolt EV electric car range and performance in winter: one owner's log (greencarreports.com)

Per the same video I linked, 211 mile range Mach-E shows an estimated 157 mile range with a full charge in the cold. 25% range lost.Range.JPG.5f29847fdba65419def32ec801974855.JPG

• Thanks 1

93 mpg-e for the Mustang and 111 mpg-e for the Model Y as per that video on top.  Both used about 50% of their battery, give or take, going to the mountain.  They drove 70 miles to get to the top of the mountain if I understood correcty...

Driving 8 miles downhill after they left the mountain, the Mustang gained 3% to the battery through regen. 

(Im posting tidbits of info as Im listening to the video at the same time Im listening to it. Info that I like or I think is interesting)

The Mustang accelerates great between 30-50 mph but has deficiencies as compared to the Model Y and/or other cars in general.  The Model Y though is a more sportier ride and faster CUV than the Mustang.  

(my opinion based on their video:  Hate on Tesla all we want, but it does NOT matter WHO test drives these Tesla and what model Tesla IS being tested, it seems that everyone seems to think that Tesla KNOWS how to build a sporty, fun and fast EV...) 

Going back up the mountain for another 8 miles, the Mustang ate up A LOT of battery power. But the dudes did NOT mention how much the Tesla did. THAT is what I curious about though.  They already proved in the first part of the video that the Model Y is more efficient than the Mustang, how much more efficient is it now at THIS stretch is what I wanna know...   The Mustang at this point is at 38% battery life and If I heard correctly at the end there, I think I heard the dude say the Model Y is at 45%

They finally reached the chargers and the Mustang is at 44 miles left @ 30% charge

The Model Y is at   117 miles @  40%  

Ill stop it here.  

What I wanna know is how many miles they actually did at this point and how many hours they drove to get at their first charging point...

Model Y dude said they will spend 15 minutes to charge...and that means 15 minutes more than people spend gassing up.  Wrong...   10 minutes more.  Semantics...I know...  But I do NOT appreciate the unnecessary drama...

Like I said...

What I wanna know is how many miles they actually did at this point and how many minutes/hours they drove to get at their first charging point...

THAT would be more helpful to actually trying see if an EV is right for you if long trips are a thing you do with vehicles.  Because Ill tell you one thing...  When I was travelling with my buddies to Lake George, or Quebec City or even Boston, we HARDLY stopped...  Not even to pee.   Well, there was ONE time when we DID stop to pee at Plattsburgh on the way to Lake George. 

But...with my family...the trips we did to Ottawa, and Toronto...and Lake George...it seems we stopped at almost every 30 minutes.  Kids get hungry. Wife has a bladder small like a gold fish.   Stopping at a food court and killing 15 minutes 3-4 times in a short destination is a gimme for MY family.   Doing THAT for an EV, with an EV is apparently not a big deal...   And yeah...food courts along the way...DO have chargers...

Now...I guess I will found out how the charging went...

OK...I got my answer.

They travelled 143 miles.  

I said EVs (mainly Teslas) in 2020 could go 250-300 miles without stopping with full on heat and A/C.   It seems I wasnt far off in my assumption.  250 miles is what I was focusing on mainly.  

In terms of gauges...the Tesla used 172 miles in range and the Mustang  123.  Gauges dont mean shyte is what they are saying.

Tesla used 56% of its battery pack and the Mach E used 70%.

Tesla, because there was many Tesla charging...slow charging

Mustang...malfunctioning chargers.

After 15 minutes...they both stopped. The Mustang dude, reluctantly because he got a spike in power for a few seconds. LOL.   

2 bucks and change for the little electricity the dude used for the Mustang and gained 8%.   8 minutes of charging time.

The Tesla dude got billed twice the amount, but git twice as much juice if I was to understand...

They drove 180 miles all together. Lots of traffic, and one measly pitstop of 15 minutes.

I did not stay for their advantages and disadvantages of both vehicles.

I could conclude...for myself...

THAT BETTER INFRASTRUCTURE IS NEEDED IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA regarding EVs.

THAT IS NO FAULT OF EVs AS THEY ARE NOW!  The technology is right now is good. Even as long hauling goes. Small compromises that wont affect lives all that much.  Covid has been a much more disruption of our daily lives than what an EV will do to us on a long road trip... 

You could conclude by yourselves as to why the US has shytty EV charging infrastructure, political, environmental and personal biases be included in your own assesments, I dont really care...

...but what I learned today, in 2020 is that

1. an EV is quite capable of doing what an ICEV is doing in 2020.

2. Like in the ICEV world, there will ALWAYS be better/worse, faster/slower, more comfy vehicles/less comfy, smaller/larger when comparing them with each other

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

The Mustang accelerates great between 30-50 mph but has deficiencies as compared to the Model Y and/or other cars in general.  The Model Y though is a more sportier ride and faster CUV than the Mustang.  

(my opinion based on their video:  Hate on Tesla all we want, but it does NOT matter WHO test drives these Tesla and what model Tesla IS being tested, it seems that everyone seems to think that Tesla KNOWS how to build a sporty, fun and fast EV...)

That's also the quickest trim Model Y vs the base model AWD Mach-E as the GT is not out yet. 

PS: 

For the folk that hate the naming scheme of Ford's newest SUV. 

Where Is The Ford Mustang Station Wagon That Was Made In Italy? -  MyCarQuest.com

The Saga of the 1965 Mustang Wagon

Where Is The Ford Mustang Station Wagon That Was Made In Italy? -  MyCarQuest.com

1965 Ford Mustang Station Wagon Rendering by Abimelec Design — StangBangers

3 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

That's also the quickest trim Model Y vs the base model AWD Mach-E as the GT is not out yet. 

true.

And...it wasnt the Mustang long range either. 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 3

21 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Peter DeLorenzo bought a Chevy Bolt a few months ago...  Here is what he thinks of it.  

http://www.autoextremist.com/on-the-table1/

Here is the updated link.

GONE ELECTRIC. - Rants - Autoextremist.com ~ the bare-knuckled, unvarnished, high octane truth...

Great read, I think a very balanced review of his time with his new purchase, not a supplied manufacture loaner Bolt.

QUOTE:  I have never underestimated the quality of the engineering represented in the Bolt, because in a lot of respects it is truly outstanding. GM’s True Believers worked on this machine, and you can tell that from the moment you get in and drive it down the road. Yes, the usual electric driving characteristics that you’ve all read about for years are present and accounted for: It is seamless, it is quiet, it is remarkably responsive, it is quick, and above all, it is actually fun-to-drive. That last part is absolutely paramount to me, and in my brief time with it the Bolt delivers.

This is a great read considering he was looking at the V8 Camaro and V8 Challenger for his next ride before sitting down and really thinking about it.

QUOTE: But - and there’s always a “but” - the more I thought about it, the more I began to think that it was time to turn the page. As a society, we’re collectively about to embark on a New Age of transportation. Will the ICE cars of previous glorious eras survive? Yes. And there will be parts (and gasoline) for them too. But the Battery Electric Vehicle revolution has begun and there’s no turning back. Yes, there is a raft of associated problems that will come with this transformation as many have pointed out, but remember, at the dawn of the ICE Age there was much hand-wringing about the problems of having gasoline “bombs” (automobiles) roaming our streets and byways. 

• Thanks 1
  • Disagree 1

On 1/15/2021 at 3:53 PM, oldshurst442 said:

PS: 

For the folk that hate the naming scheme of Ford's newest SUV. 

The Saga of the 1965 Mustang Wagon

1965 Ford Mustang Station Wagon Rendering by Abimelec Design — StangBangers

true.

And...it wasnt the Mustang long range either. 

What's funny is if they did that today, internet enthusiasts would go nuts for a hatchback/wagon style mustang. 

• Agree 2

Loving all the continual updated info on the Hummer EV Edition 1 at their web page.

Introducing the GMC HUMMER EV | Electric Truck

Really liking the dash layout of the Hummer EV. I know my wife does not like the grey and black interior. I am hoping that once the Edition 1 is launched that GM will be offering other interior options. I would like a nice Mocha Brown interior.

image.png

Seems without going public that Rivian has secured another $2.65 Billion in funding for the company WITHOUT going public like Tesla. Existing investors have ponied up the dough and clearly with $8 billion in funding is set to move forward as a solid auto company.

Rivian shuns SPACs, closes another $2.65B investment ahead of electric trucks’ arrival (greencarreports.com)

Seems RJ has finally spilled the beans on the potential investment by GM. GM was going to use the platform for it's own auto use and provide them with manufacturing but wanted to own everything and not allow Rivian to let others use their tech to bring product to market. RJ choose to leave GM for an investment by Amazon and Ford and private investment companies while continuing to own and control their platform for licensing to other companies around the world.

As such, Rivian now has plans to have additional 6 EVs come to market by 2025. Cars as well as expanded Trucks and SUVs are on the road map.

I think that Rivian could surpass Tesla as RJ seems to be a bit more modest and yet smarter than Musk. Gonna be an interesting battle of EV Titans. Also once GM does get to market with their EV product line, I think they will have a cool big battle.

Be interesting to see how GM does their marketing in comparison to Rivian and Tesla.

Report: Rivian plans six new models by 2025 (greencarreports.com)

Interesting read as Honda has confirmed a total Hybrid Portfolio for Asia and Europe and new direction for North America. 

The fact that Honda signed a long term exclusive deal with GM to use GM's Ultima battery and power train system for EVs for the North America Market, I have to wonder if the new BEV3 platform would not be used as the New HR-V EV and they bypass hybrid for going right to EVs?

Next Honda HR-V will be different for America, possibly all-hybrid (greencarreports.com)

In regards to the Ford Mach-E on recharging, a good read on this review done in Oregon. Far faster than past EVs and still has natural room to improve. Was surprised to see they compared this to the E-Tron from Audi which had the fastest recharge of 80% battery pack recharged in 15 min.

Still excellent review as they person points out like in past EVs where Early Adopters that have the patience for new tech to be working some times and some times not, the Mach-E just worked, everything. Very positive experience.

2021 Mustang Mach-E: How fast does the Ford EV charge up on road trips? (greencarreports.com)

Seems we are moving faster than expected towards Cobalt free batteries with the energy density improving.

Charged EVs | New class of cobalt-free cathodes could enhance energy density of Li-ion batteries - Charged EVs

China has unveiled their 385 mph magnetic train. Very cool!

For those that might remember the big Tesla 3 auto accident in Oregon where the battery pack was broke up and cells were sent flying into homes, through windows, etc. and the Fire Department had to wait for special equipment to come in so they could pick up the hot cells, seems at battery day Tesla showed off their new battery pack which will go into production in the Model Y and Plaid S Auto update car at the Berlin Germany plant first. This new design is building the cells into the whole auto frame so it is even more rigid.

image.png

This reduces parts and weight, but I see that it does open up the auto to sending cells flying everywhere in a bad crash.

Tesla-structural-battery-pack.gif

While as a Tech guy I am always excited by new stuff, having the battery pack an integrated part of the frame with both front and rear wheel connection points now part of this does make me think that this is going to reduce even further the ability to repair an auto like this versus recycling it as they move to using steel strength plastic.

Very interesting design change.

First look at Tesla's new structural battery pack - Electrek

GM and Microsoft have joined forces with the GM subsidiary Cruise to advance self driving auto's into the future.

GM Bought Cruise rather than like Ford and others creating their own in house software company for EV's and the future of auto's. With this, then Honda became an investor in Cruise with a $750 Million investment for use of the Cruise software in the new versions of Honda ICE, Hybrid and EVs.

Microsoft has now become the latest company to put skin in the game with a $2 billion dollar investment in Cruise and bringing a much needed secure Kernel software design to the Cruise Subsidiary Startup. 

Ford uses the Secure NT Kernel for their Sync system and the new Mach-E software system. It looks like the EVs of GM could very well have a secure solid software system as part of the new BEV3 platform.

GM's Cruise self-driving startup raises $2 billion led by Microsoft - Electrek

On 1/17/2021 at 6:27 PM, ocnblu said:

So easy to see, if one opens his eyes... this is a CGI and not "the real thing" ~ so yeah, i have a problem with Ford calling their expensive, useless, delayed, slow-charging EV a Mustang ~

1965-ford-mustang-station-wagon-rendering-abimelec-design.jpg

You're not buying one anyway so what the hell do you care? 

Edited by surreal1272
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

You're not buying one anyway so what the hell do you care? 

You're right.  Too expensive, not as useful as a normal car.  Too unpredictable.  Those are some of the reasons it gets a neigh from ocn.  Those brave souls who have money to burn and no particular place to go... have at it.

• Disagree 2

I have said the Mach-E is too pricey starting at $43K, but that was when I was still under the impression that the average new vehicle price was still down around $35K (It's now $40K). It's above average, but it's certainly within reach of the average buyer. Ford would sell more if it was starting -say- around $33K, but the spectre of Red Ink always lurks around BEVs.

• Agree 3

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/19/global-sales-of-electric-cars-accelerate-fast-in-2020-despite-covid-pandemic

Global sales of electric cars accelerated fast in 2020, rising by 43% to more than 3m, despite overall car sales slumping by a fifth during the coronavirus pandemic.

Sales of electric cars more than doubled in Europe, pushing the region past China as the world’s biggest market for them, according to data published on Tuesday by EV-volumes.com, a Sweden-based consultancy.

Sales of battery electric vehicles (BEVs) and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs) made up 4.2% of the global car market, up from 2.5% in 2019. The rising sales are being driven by government policies to reduce carbon emissions, but a key factor is that electric cars are simply a better technology, said Viktor Irle, sales and marketing analyst at EV-volumes.com.

Sales of electric cars did fall below 2019’s levels from March to June, at the height of the Covid-19 lockdowns, but recovered strongly after that and by December were at double the level in December 2019.

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, ocnblu said:

You're right.  Too expensive, not as useful as a normal car.  Too unpredictable.  Those are some of the reasons it gets a neigh from ocn.  Those brave souls who have money to burn and no particular place to go... have at it.

Yes because burning your money on a different car or truck every other year (with a lot of foreign makes in that mix), like you do, makes perfect financial sense. Again, what are you doing on this thread other than trolling for the sake of trolling?

14 hours ago, ocnblu said:

What's unpredictable? You already know about the cold weather range so what don't you know that is unpredictable? 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

What's unpredictable? You already know about the cold weather range so what don't you know that is unpredictable? 

Exactly. Meanwhile, range fluctuations are not unique to EVs. Per Fueleconomy.gov:

"Cold weather and winter driving conditions can reduce your fuel economysignificantly. Fuel economy tests show that, in city driving, a conventional gasoline car's gas mileage is roughly 15% lower at 20°F than it would be at 77°F. It can drop as much as 24% for short (3- to 4-mile) trips."

And I'd like to add that extreme heat (like Phoenix summers) will affect it as well but we shouldn't let the obvious facts get in the way of Blu sounding like a complete fool.

Again, a troll just being what he is, a troll (and an uninformed one at that).

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1