Drew Dowdell

August 2019: Toyota North America

31 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

It is simply astounding that the RAV4 is putting out full size pick up type numbers. 

Almost 50k a month of those things... and they aren't even that great.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

It is simply astounding that the RAV4 is putting out full size pick up type numbers. 

It's outselling the Tacoma and Tundra combined, and ahead of the Camry and Corolla.. wowza

• Like 1

Camry sill selling well in a sea of under performing sedans. 

59 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Camry sill selling well in a sea of under performing sedans. 

One of only two six-cylinder mid-sizers left. 

• Upvote 2

Hybrid RAV4 sold at around 150k a year clip.

17 minutes ago, frogger said:

Hybrid RAV4 sold at around 150k a year clip.

Such an underwhelming product, true Lemming mobile.

13 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

One of only two six-cylinder mid-sizers left. 

I like it better than most other cars in its class, actually. 

14 hours ago, dfelt said:

Such an underwhelming product, true Lemming mobile.

How is it underwhelming?  

It seems it compares very favorably against the rest of the segment.

According to fuelly, people seem to get around 35mpg average,

• Upvote 3

Seems like the non hybrid RAV4 is mostly criticized for its powertrain/noise.

3 hours ago, ykX said:

How is it underwhelming?  

It seems it compares very favorably against the rest of the segment.

According to fuelly, people seem to get around 35mpg average,

To me there is nothing inspiring about Toyota's product line. From Style to interior layout, materials used, just a lemming mobile that does nothing to make me want to buy. This is built for those that just want to fit in and follow everyone else.

Yes that is not a bad thing from a business that is all about making billions, but I like something that makes more of a statement. Hence the reason I own an AWD Trailblazer SS, Durango RT, Hummer, Escalade ESV Platinum, etc. I choose my own path and that is not to follow the herd.

14 minutes ago, dfelt said:

To me there is nothing inspiring about Toyota's product line. From Style to interior layout, materials used, just a lemming mobile that does nothing to make me want to buy. This is built for those that just want to fit in and follow everyone else.

Really?  And current Chevrolet vehicles for example are much different?

To me this looks as bland and uninspired as anything, generic as they come

2019_chevrolet_equinox_f34_td_517181_717

At least Toyota tried to put some style into the new RAV4

2019%20Toyota%20RAV4%20(1).jpg

• Upvote 2

The Rav4 has some very Jeep styling cues in the squared off wheel wells w/ raised black edging and the overall profile.  It looks pretty good for the segment.  Though the CR-V has sexier taillights. 

24 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

The Rav4 has some very Jeep styling cues in the squared off wheel wells w/ raised black edging and the overall profile.  It looks pretty good for the segment.  Though the CR-V has sexier taillights. 

From the rear they look almost identical

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

2019-Jeep-Cherokee-rear-three-quarter-04

3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It is okay for me to not like either?

I certainly don't....so we are in the same boat...

• Upvote 2

Like the look of the two tone Trail/Adventure trim version

Available-2019-Toyota-RAV4-Interior-and-

2019-toyota-rav4-adventure_26-1500x1000.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ykX said:

Really?  And current Chevrolet vehicles for example are much different?

To me this looks as bland and uninspired as anything, generic as they come

2019_chevrolet_equinox_f34_td_517181_717

At least Toyota tried to put some style into the new RAV4

2019%20Toyota%20RAV4%20(1).jpg

Sadly, NOTHING Chevrolet builds right now inspires me to want to own something except one which I have never fit into as an adult. The Corvette is the only thing I still Love, Wish Corvette had a Performance SUV as I would go for that, but the current style of all their auto's SUCK excluding the corvette which as I stated, I CANNOT FIT INTO! 😢

• Upvote 1

The only things at Chevy I really like and would put in my hypothetically flat driveway are Corvette, Suburban, Tahoe, and Volt. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

RAV 4 is a stylistic disaster. Wheelwell cladding cut short from reaching the rockers is comical, and the front looks like broken shale; too jagged. Dint find the exaggerated underbite attractive either. 

• Upvote 1

The RAV4 is better than most small crossovers, they also market it a fair amount, have Toyota reputation and I bet they have awesome lease deals due to the Toyota resale value.   If there was better competition they might take some sales from it.  I don't like the RAV4, but it is better value than the others in the segment.

Corolla, Camry and Avalon all up, so cars aren't dead yet, at least not at Toyota who is probably capitalizing on Ford and Chevy not making sedans.

Current Deals on this ugly little CUV in the PNW.

image.png

26 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Corolla, Camry and Avalon all up, so cars aren't dead yet,

corolla & camry are dead flat for the year, and avalon is down 16%. Treading water.

Edited by balthazar
  • Upvote 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By Drew Dowdell
      Los Angeles - Lexus unveiled the 2021 Lexus LC 500 Convertible at the LA Auto Show today, ending speculation over whether the model was actually coming or not. 
      Typically when manufacturers make a convertible version of an existing car, significant weight penalties crop up as structural bracing is added to preserve rigidity. Lexus was able to move supports, and bracing to produce a convertible with only minimal weight gain while maintaining structural integrity. The LC Convertible’s suspension is tuned specifically to complement the subtle changes in weight between the two platforms, as a reduction of un-sprung weight in the front suspension improves the overall stroke. In the rear, engineers were able to further enhance structural rigidity by reshaping and relocating the rear suspension brace tower. Weight was reduced in the rear of the vehicle by utilizing a lightweight die-cast aluminum suspension brace, while a performance dampener is employed to enhance ride comfort.
      Power of the LC 500 Convertible is the same as the coupe, with a 5.0-liter V8 rated for 471 horsepower, 398 lb.-ft of torque paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission. To make the engine’s throaty voice heard while the top is down, the engine’s intake pulses are naturally carried through a diaphragm into a sound pipe that carries the sounds, not the air itself, into the cabin to enhance the V8’s rumble, all done without any electronic enhancement. 
      The top is a 4 layer design and the mechanism includes a tonneau cover for when the soft top is stored. The top can be opened or closed at speeds up to 31 mph, while an animation on the display shows the tops progress through the motions. The cloth colors are offered in black or beige. Exterior paint options on the convertible include Ultra White, Smoky Granite Mica, Liquid Platinum, Atomic Silver, Obsidian, Caviar, Infrared, Cadmium Orange, Flare Yellow, and Nightfall Mica. Depending upon the exterior color chosen, three interior colors are available: Black, Circuit Red and Toasted Caramel.
      The car being shown at the Los Angeles Auto Show is a limited edition model with a run of 100 units. It comes in Structural Blue with a white interior and blue top. 
      The LC Convertible's HVAC system is designed to maintain temperature year round even with the top down. Neck heaters are included in the seats while the dash outlets are designed to direct heated or cooled air to the driver's hands.  For 2021 the LC Convertible gets Android Auto, Amazon Alexa, and Apple Car Play standard along with a 10.3-inch multimedia screen. 

View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Los Angeles - Lexus unveiled the 2021 Lexus LC 500 Convertible at the LA Auto Show today, ending speculation over whether the model was actually coming or not. 
      Typically when manufacturers make a convertible version of an existing car, significant weight penalties crop up as structural bracing is added to preserve rigidity. Lexus was able to move supports, and bracing to produce a convertible with only minimal weight gain while maintaining structural integrity. The LC Convertible’s suspension is tuned specifically to complement the subtle changes in weight between the two platforms, as a reduction of un-sprung weight in the front suspension improves the overall stroke. In the rear, engineers were able to further enhance structural rigidity by reshaping and relocating the rear suspension brace tower. Weight was reduced in the rear of the vehicle by utilizing a lightweight die-cast aluminum suspension brace, while a performance dampener is employed to enhance ride comfort.
      Power of the LC 500 Convertible is the same as the coupe, with a 5.0-liter V8 rated for 471 horsepower, 398 lb.-ft of torque paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission. To make the engine’s throaty voice heard while the top is down, the engine’s intake pulses are naturally carried through a diaphragm into a sound pipe that carries the sounds, not the air itself, into the cabin to enhance the V8’s rumble, all done without any electronic enhancement. 
      The top is a 4 layer design and the mechanism includes a tonneau cover for when the soft top is stored. The top can be opened or closed at speeds up to 31 mph, while an animation on the display shows the tops progress through the motions. The cloth colors are offered in black or beige. Exterior paint options on the convertible include Ultra White, Smoky Granite Mica, Liquid Platinum, Atomic Silver, Obsidian, Caviar, Infrared, Cadmium Orange, Flare Yellow, and Nightfall Mica. Depending upon the exterior color chosen, three interior colors are available: Black, Circuit Red and Toasted Caramel.
      The car being shown at the Los Angeles Auto Show is a limited edition model with a run of 100 units. It comes in Structural Blue with a white interior and blue top. 
      The LC Convertible's HVAC system is designed to maintain temperature year round even with the top down. Neck heaters are included in the seats while the dash outlets are designed to direct heated or cooled air to the driver's hands.  For 2021 the LC Convertible gets Android Auto, Amazon Alexa, and Apple Car Play standard along with a 10.3-inch multimedia screen. 

• By Drew Dowdell
      Los Angeles - Toyota Debuted today the Toyota RAV-4 Prime, a plug-in version of their RAV-4 hybrid.  The RAV-4 Prime ups the ante with a big bump to the horsepower figure, 302 horses combined between the gasoline engine and electric motors.  The gives the RAV-4 Prime a projected 0-60 of 5.8 seconds, the second fastest 0-60 in the Toyota lineup, while also delivering 90 MPGe. The RAV-4 Prime is capable of driving up to 39 miles in EV mode, making it the highest range PHEV SUV on the market. 
      In building the Prime, Toyota added a new higher capacity lithium-ion battery and a booster converter. That, combined with more powerful motor/generators give the electric side of the hybrid system an 83 horsepower boost. The engine is a variant of the 2.5 liter Atkinson-cycle gasoline unit found in the standard RAV-4 Hybrid and it produces the same 176 horsepower.  The larger battery is mounted under the floor so there is no compromise on interior space and it adds to a level of stability by giving the RAV-4 Prime a lower center of gravity.  
      RAV-4 Prime's electric on-demand all-wheel drive system is the same setup as found in the RAV-4. Rear mounted electric motors power the rear wheels on demand, including heavy acceleration situations. The AWD system also works to reduce understeer during cornering for better handling performance. 
      Starting with the 2020 model year, every Toyota Hybrid Battery Warranty has been increased from 8 years or 100,000 miles to 10 years from original date of first use, or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first.
      Available in SE and XSE grades, the RAV-4 Prime will be available mid-summer 2020 as a 2021 model year. 

View full article
  • Recent Status Updates

• Reader Rides

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook