Cadillac News: Cadillac CT6 DHam Production to End in January

It always, eventually, boils down to money. Tesla only builds 3 vehicles currently, and the company has lost billions & billions & billions over it’s course. Even a dozen quarters of a slim profit still has the company underwater. Somehow, it chugs along. Look forward to watching it unfold.

GM and every other OEM building hybrids and/or BEVs can subsidize them with profits from IC vehicles, and they all do. The big dogs are far more diversified and in a lot more segments; insulation from downturns and market shifts.

35 minutes ago, balthazar said:

It always, eventually, boils down to money. Tesla only builds 3 vehicles currently, and the company has lost billions & billions & billions over it’s course. Even a dozen quarters of a slim profit still has the company underwater. Somehow, it chugs along. Look forward to watching it unfold.

GM and every other OEM building hybrids and/or BEVs can subsidize them with profits from IC vehicles, and they all do. The big dogs are far more diversified and in a lot more segments; insulation from downturns and market shifts.

Amazon and Apple lost money at one point too.  I don't think Tesla losing money matters too much, as long as they turn some profit every once in a while, until batteries get cheaper and their model line gets bigger.

Tesla will have the Model Y on sale in 2020, that will hit the hottest market segment and sell in large numbers.  Roadster is coming in a year or two, that will be low volume but high margin, so not unreasonable to think that by the time the Cybertruck goes on sale the company is profitable.    

Tesla has issues no doubt, but they seem to be sorting out the production and quality stuff, Model Y volume could help with profitability.

GM definitely has something big in the pipeline with this recent cancellation of the CT6 and subsequent Blackwing V8 and readying the new BEV3 skateboard platform which is the BIG push right now at Cadillac which will be a legit Tesla competitor for GM. I actually called a Cadillac Customer Service 800 line and asked why they are cancelling the CT6 and new Blackwing V8 when they've just launched the awesome Blackwing. The representative said they have gotten A LOT of calls from people upset about it and said, "it's the current strategy for now" like the Blackwing and maybe even the CT6 will be back in the near future. GM knows there are still many customers who aren't ready to make the EV leap and options need to be available. After driving a CT6-V Blackwing I can tell you it is a solid, great handling, fast as all get out car that is selling pretty well already. And 14/25/17 combined on the sticker does not seem like a gas guzzler for a 550 hp TT V8 engine to me, EPA be damned. That's only 2 to 3 mpg less than many NA V6's now days. 17/24/19 is what my past Colorado Crew 4x4 308 hp V6 had on the sticker that weighed only about 200 lbs more than the CT6 AWD.  

I agree with others that they should and most likely will keep the Blackwing V8 for an Escalade V Blackwing on the new upcoming BOF chassis and have a new BEV CUV right next to it on the showroom. The fact of it is there are still more buyers for ICE vehicles in the U.S. as our gasoline is still fairly cheap in comparison to Europe or China or even Canada and it's much more convenient than having to find a public charging station and 30 min to an hour to burn while it charges, you really have to plan your day or trip around charging station locations if you don't have one at home. EV's still have pretty expensive up front costs like getting a charging station installed and setup in your home, which is a must have. Public charging station infrastructure is still slowly building up and has been for over a decade now which are still few and far between and aren't widely used. Half the time I see a Tesla or other EV parked in front of one and it's not even plugged in, just rudely squatting on the premium parking that's reserved up front for EV's at most businesses, which is a BIG faux pas in the EV world. There are two stations at my go to grocery store and 9 times out of 10 there is never an EV parked there, but the parking lot is pretty full of ICE SUV's and trucks. Should be interesting to see what the General has in store for us.

Edited by USA-1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

Amazon and Apple lost money at one point too.  I don't think Tesla losing money matters too much, as long as they turn some profit every once in a while, until batteries get cheaper and their model line gets bigger.

Tesla will have the Model Y on sale in 2020, that will hit the hottest market segment and sell in large numbers.  Roadster is coming in a year or two, that will be low volume but high margin, so not unreasonable to think that by the time the Cybertruck goes on sale the company is profitable.    

Tesla has issues no doubt, but they seem to be sorting out the production and quality stuff, Model Y volume could help with profitability.

Comparing Apple and Amazon to any car manufacturer, much less Tesla, is the very definition of an “apples to oranges” comparison when it comes to successful business models. 

4 hours ago, smk4565 said:

I love when American car lovers root for an American car company that actually builds cars in America to fail, while still cheering on the "American" car companies that are shipping production to Mexico and China.

Tesla has actual product out there.  It is just that there is more hype than Elon Musk and his firm can actually deliver.  If there was a good Tesla at $15K, then GM and Ford and FCA and Hyundai/KIA would really be scared.  Tesla would go a long way of truly establishing dominance in the USDM.

17 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

You're killing me Smalls

Ok, 20-21 mpg combined for 335hp 3.6L in the CTS, but still 17 combined is not bad for a 550hp 4.2TT V8.

Edited by USA-1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, USA-1 said:

Ok, 20-21 mpg combined for 335hp 3.6L in the CTS, but still 17 combined is not bad for a 550hp 4.2TT V8.

True, I was referring to the size of my bank account.  I'm complaining already about my 21.8 MPG average with winter gas.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, riviera74 said:

Tesla has actual product out there.  It is just that there is more hype than Elon Musk and his firm can actually deliver.  If there was a good Tesla at $15K, then GM and Ford and FCA and Hyundai/KIA would really be scared.  Tesla would go a long way of truly establishing dominance in the USDM.

The Tesla at $35k outsells any car GM or Ford make.   That should concern them already.  Once Tesla gets SUVs going against them, they are in trouble.   Ford Edge or Chevy Balzer or a Tesla?  No contest.  

28 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

The Tesla at $35k outsells any car GM or Ford make.   That should concern them already.  Once Tesla gets SUVs going against them, they are in trouble.   Ford Edge or Chevy Balzer or a Tesla?  No contest.  

Except that the minimalist interior blows

Fit n Finish is clearly Ford 90's

AND Ya gotta be under 6' to fit in them. GM or when I get to test if Ford and their showing of David's 6'5" tall fitting in the back is true will destroy Tesla. Ford can easily beat them on quality and roominess as Tesla is NOT roomy.

I want Tesla to survive and get some better product out there, but right now, it is not enough to win me over.

2 hours ago, smk4565 said:

The Tesla at $35k outsells any car GM or Ford make.   That should concern them already.

King of a dying segment- whooppee. GM & Ford are largely leaving the ever-shrinking field of cars behind.

Tesla should've brought the 'Y' out after the 'S'; he's not spelling it in order anyway, and with te theoretical profits it would've made, a decent pick-up, the sports job and the semi truck would've been here already.

16 hours ago, ocnblu said:

True, I was referring to the size of my bank account.  I'm complaining already about my 21.8 MPG average with winter gas.

That sounds like a First World Problem. :P 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, smk4565 said:

how many of those Tesla 3's are actually priced at 35.... methinks .01 percent.......

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

The $35k Model 3 is a unicorn, I believe.    Of the 114 used Model 3s that come up on Auto Trader locally, only 1 is under $36k, and only 1/2 dozen under $40k. 

In a 500 mile circle of where I live, I can only find 3 Tesla 3 for sale and none are under $45K

image.png

Yet I have 69 Cadillac CT6 available for sale in my 500 mile area.

image.png

Of which 4 of those lovely CT6 are Blackwing Vs

image.png

• Agree 1