Jump to content
Create New...

Genesis News: 2021 Genesis G80 Packs New Styling, Two Turbo Engines


William Maley

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, riviera74 said:

The Escala should be the replacement for the CT6 that was just cancelled.  Yes, the Escalade and the XTs can have the bulk of the sales, but a CAR flagship is still somewhat necessary.  Just no more 4cyl cars (XT4 and CT4 aside) please.

I read recently that the CT5 and XT6 were going to be on Omega, but were switched to Alpha 2 and the Acadia platform to cut cost to pay for EV development.

2 hours ago, dfelt said:

Sad that Cadillac has never really optimized taking their concepts to market and given much less than they could in the luxury segment. Yet still Genesis is way better, but not perfect than many out there and a side profile comparison shows that Genesis nailed it for the most part.

image.png

image.png

And they built it, Cadillac did not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

G80 is certainly no better than the CT6, which Cadillac DID build.

But the CT6 is gone and I wonder if this G80 is more CT5 size.  The G90 would be the CT6 competitor.  GV80 however sizes up well with the XT6.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Point was- CT6 -while going away- was a beautifully proportioned sedan.

No worries- no one is going to buy the genesis anyway.

They'll sell a few, but they will probably price it at 95% the cost of a BMW or Mercedes, and people aren't going to pick a Genesis over the German options.  We see that with the G70, I think the challenge gets even harder the farther you go up the ladder.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, smk4565 said:

They'll sell a few, but they will probably price it at 95% the cost of a BMW or Mercedes, and people aren't going to pick a Genesis over the German options.  We see that with the G70, I think the challenge gets even harder the farther you go up the ladder.  

I would take a Korean or Japanese auto every day over German built crap. Reliable and will not leave me stranded nor gouge me at $1,500 for a replacement head light.

German Built Auto's, Over Priced, Over Rated! :pokeowned:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I would take a Korean or Japanese auto every day over German built crap. Reliable and will not leave me stranded nor gouge me at $1,500 for a replacement head light.

German Built Auto's, Over Priced, Over Rated! :pokeowned:

The Germans engineer cars for performance, ride, handling, etc.  I’m not convinced that a G80 can match a 5-series on that front or an E-class on interior materials.    The German cars aren’t over priced they are priced correctly for the market since they sell the best.  An overpriced car would not have demand.
 

I think the G80 looks sharp and I like the interior.  It stomps an Acura or Lexus GS that is as old as dirt at this point.  On the surface the G80 looks like a strong competitor but how well will it drive? 
 

And what will the price be?   This car is dead in the water if it is 5-series money, needs at least a $10k discount.

Edited by smk4565
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

The Germans engineer cars for performance, ride, handling, etc.  I’m not convinced that a G80 can match a 5-series on that front or an E-class on interior materials.    The German cars aren’t over priced they are priced correctly for the market since they sell the best.  An overpriced car would not have demand.
 

I think the G80 looks sharp and I like the interior.  It stomps an Acura or Lexus GS that is as old as dirt at this point.  On the surface the G80 looks like a strong competitor but how well will it drive? 
 

And what will the price be?   This car is dead in the water if it is 5-series money, needs at least a $10k discount.

Seems like every (non-German) luxury auto needs a discount in order to compete.  US/Koreans especially.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Based on personal experience with Mercedes-Benz I would still take the G80 over an E-Class knowing my ownership costs will be lower and reliability will be longer at a lower price.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has anyone actually priced a headlight replacement lately?  Through the roof.  And not just for Germans.  A Corolla, for example, has standard HID headlights and they are over $1100 just for the assembly, not including labor.

  • Confused 2
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah I've heard LED headlights/enclosures are super pricey to replace.

On G80 pricing, I'm going to guess starting in the mid to high forties to start.  With it being a sedan, the global economy tanking and small business closures sure to be massive, it will have trouble selling just like any other new car.

 

 

 

Edited by frogger
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Has anyone actually priced a headlight replacement lately?  Through the roof.  And not just for Germans.  A Corolla, for example, has standard HID headlights and they are over $1100 just for the assembly, not including labor.

I wanted to replace the headlights over my then 1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (the part that clouds over the bulb assembly).  The parts department at my local Buick dealer said $300 each.  Rockauto has it for about $120.  Unfortunately, none of it is cheap anymore.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Has anyone actually priced a headlight replacement lately?  Through the roof.  And not just for Germans.  A Corolla, for example, has standard HID headlights and they are over $1100 just for the assembly, not including labor.

Searching online, I see prices for the Corolla HID headlight assembly from $367 to $645 on Amazon and a crazy $941 on ebay, but who uses crapy ebay any more. I am surprised they are still in business. Interesting to see that depending on the Toyota dealership web site you use, prices for the HID headlight assembly run from $799 to $971 from the Miami Toyo dealership. Crazy for that auto to have that expensive a headlight assembly for a 2020 corolla. $1,100 I can see as an MSRP price but that is just stupid for a chunk of plastic and LED bulbs.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would not go with aftermarket headlights.  They are complete junk.  Unfortunately some ins companies will only pay for aftermarket.

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

Searching online, I see prices for the Corolla HID headlight assembly from $367 to $645 on Amazon and a crazy $941 on ebay, but who uses crapy ebay any more. I am surprised they are still in business. Interesting to see that depending on the Toyota dealership web site you use, prices for the HID headlight assembly run from $799 to $971 from the Miami Toyo dealership. Crazy for that auto to have that expensive a headlight assembly for a 2020 corolla. $1,100 I can see as an MSRP price but that is just stupid for a chunk of plastic and LED bulbs.

LOL that is for cheap aftermarket crap.

3 minutes ago, dfelt said:

a chunk of plastic and LED bulbs.

LOL more complicated than that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

I would not go with aftermarket headlights.  They are complete junk.  Unfortunately some ins companies will only pay for aftermarket.

LOL that is for cheap aftermarket crap.

LOL more complicated than that.

I agree not all after market suppliers are quality, but some are and worth it.

I disagree with you on more complicated than that. If it meets DOT requirements, then there really should not be a difference between the OEM and the 3rd party company selling direct while also supplying the OEM. I have not seen complex headlights now that they are all pretty much formed plastic with reflective chrome lining on the inside and then the front clear lens attached.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

dfelt... omg HID headlights have an HID controller box on the bottom of the housing.  Some headlights steer with the steering wheel.  And etc. etc., there are many features on a modern headlight.

This is not 1973.

Why would a headlight need to meet Department of Energy requirements?

Then you have LED headlights.  You think they're cheap?

You want everyone to drive an EV but you are stuck in the far past when it comes to headlights... LOLWUT?

Edited by ocnblu
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dfelt said:

Based on personal experience with Mercedes-Benz I would still take the G80 over an E-Class knowing my ownership costs will be lower and reliability will be longer at a lower price.

And yet the G80 currently starts $12k lower than a 5-series or Eclass and is still outsold 3 to 1 by them, maybe more than that. 
 

The new G80 is nicer but Genesis has no brand image at all.  They undercut the S-class by $40,000 with the G90 and still can’t sell them.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

And yet the G80 currently starts $12k lower than a 5-series or Eclass and is still outsold 3 to 1 by them, maybe more than that. 
 

The new G80 is nicer but Genesis has no brand image at all.  They undercut the S-class by $40,000 with the G90 and still can’t sell them.  

Apparently the USA is now a German province.  I remember when the USA essentially became a Japanese prefecture. . . . and that was 30 years ago.

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

dfelt... omg HID headlights have an HID controller box on the bottom of the housing.  Some headlights steer with the steering wheel.  And etc. etc., there are many features on a modern headlight.

This is not 1973.

Why would a headlight need to meet Department of Energy requirements?

Then you have LED headlights.  You think they're cheap?

You want everyone to drive an EV but you are stuck in the far past when it comes to headlights... LOLWUT?

Oops, meant DOT, but then you did know what I meant by that. Now the electronics is another things all together and those are sold separate from the headlight assembly unit which is mostly plastic and are very complex. You know that those are separate items when getting replacement parts from an accident. Silly Boy, who is still stuck in the past with ICE auto's not wanting to change to modern cleaner running EVs. LOLWUT!!! Right back at ya! 

 

27 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

And yet the G80 currently starts $12k lower than a 5-series or Eclass and is still outsold 3 to 1 by them, maybe more than that. 
 

The new G80 is nicer but Genesis has no brand image at all.  They undercut the S-class by $40,000 with the G90 and still can’t sell them.  

EXACTLY  how MB and BMW were in the 70's and 80's before finally catching on with the badge snobs. As such, I expect Genesis to reduce from a almost 30 year barely making it to a much smaller time line before they equal the German brands.

24 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Apparently the USA is now a German province.  I remember when the USA essentially became a Japanese prefecture. . . . and that was 30 years ago.

Yes, one needs to watch what they say as the market can change on a dime and boom out goes the Europeans for who knows what next. Maybe EVs? 😏

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search