Cadillac News: Cadillac Lyriq Gives Us Our First Peek Into GM's Electric Dreams

It is no secret that General Motors has big ambitions in the electric car space, we talked about back in March. But our chance to see to see the first fruits of this, the Cadillac Lyriq had been delayed due to COVID-19 pandemic. But tonight, Cadillac finally revealed the Lyriq in show car form.

"Show Car" is important in this context as Cadillac is finalizing various parts of the Lyriq's design - various reports say the design is 80 to 85 percent production ready. This may explain why Cadillac isn't launching the model until late-2022. The design is quite out there with a large pattern grille, vertical LED headlamps, fastback roofline, and rear lights that wrap around the pillars. Moving inside, the center piece is a curved, 33-inch display that features driver information and infotainment. There is also a dual-pane head-up display that can display different information - the nearest one can show speed and direction, while the further one can issue alerts and navigation.

Cadillac hasn't released any power figures on the Lyriq, only saying that it will offer two drivetrain versions; rear-wheel drive with a single electric motor and all-wheel drive with two electric motors. A new modular platform for electric vehicles promises a low-center of gravity and a near 50/50 weight distribution for the all-wheel drive version. Range is targeted at over 300 miles. Cadillac says the production model will offer DC fast charging.

Source: Cadillac
Press Release is on Page 2

LYRIQ Show Car Leads Cadillac Into Electric Future

• The brand’s first all-electric vehicle introduces a new era in luxury, technology and zero-tailpipe-emissions performance

Cadillac’s introduction of its electric portfolio begins today with the debut of the LYRIQ show car — a dynamic, modern and fully electric luxury crossover. 

The propulsion system and supporting technologies position Cadillac to be a leader in electrification, connectivity and automated driving, all delivered with thrilling performance and a new threshold in technology integration.

“Led by LYRIQ, Cadillac will redefine American luxury over the next decade with a new portfolio of transformative EVs,” said Steve Carlisle, executive vice president and president, GM North America. “We will deliver experiences that engage the senses, anticipate desires and enable our customers to go on extraordinary journeys.”

The LYRIQ is based on GM’s next-generation, modular electric vehicle platform and driven by the Ultium propulsion system, allowing Cadillac to deliver customers a variety of range and performance options. With range being one of the biggest factors when it comes to selecting an EV, we’re designing LYRIQ to offer beyond 300 miles of range on a full charge, based on internal testing1. Performance and technology highlights include:

• Charging options that fit a variety of preferences for home, the workplace and on the road — including DC fast charging rates over 150 kilowatts and Level 2 charging rates up to 19 kW2.
  • Rear-wheel drive and performance all-wheel drive configurations.
  • The latest version of Super Cruise3, the industry’s first truly hands-free driver assistance feature, available on more than 200,000 miles of compatible highways and recently enhanced to include automated lane change.
  • New technologies such as dual-plane augmented reality-enhanced head-up display and remote self-parking.
  • The brand’s most seamless and adaptive technology interaction with the driver and passengers, including the latest Cadillac user experience, which is showcased in a 33-inch-diagonal advanced LED screen the spans the entire viewing area of the driver.

“LYRIQ was conceived to make every journey exhilarating and leverages more than a century of innovation to drive the brand into a new era, while rewarding passengers with a more personal, connected and immersive experience,” said Jamie Brewer, Cadillac LYRIQ chief engineer. “To do this we developed an architecture specifically for EVs.  It is not only an exceptional EV, but first and foremost a Cadillac.”

LIBERATING PERFORMANCE
Some luxury EVs today feature adapted traditional internal combustion engine architecture, that is not the case with LYRIQ. Cadillac’s all-new, modular EV platform on which the LYRIQ is based is the foundation for its liberating performance. With a dedicated EV architecture, its design eliminates significant physical constraints associated with adapting electric propulsion within a conventional vehicle architecture, for an optimized design that supports greater driving range, an engaging driving experience and a new interpretation of passenger space.

Within the LYRIQ, the Ultium battery system is a structural element of the architecture, integrated in ways that contribute to ride and handling, as well as safety. In fact, the lower center of gravity and near 50/50 weight distribution enabled by the placement of the battery pack results in a vehicle that’s sporty, responsive and allows for spirited driving.

Additionally, the LYRIQ is driven primarily by the rear wheels, with a performance all-wheel drive option available. The placement of the drive motor at the rear of the vehicle contributes an even greater feeling of balance and agility — attributes that affirm Cadillac’s longstanding commitment to satisfying performance. It also enables the system to channel more torque to the pavement without wheelspin for exhilarating acceleration and greater cornering capability. Vehicles equipped with performance all-wheel drive go a step further, with a second drive unit placed at the front of the vehicle, which allows for a significant amount of tuning flexibility, enhancing vehicle dynamics and performance for drivers.

ALL-NEW ULTIUM BATTERY SYSTEM
The Cadillac LYRIQ is powered by GM’s new Ultium battery system, which offers approximately 100 kilowatt-hours of energy to deliver stirring performance.

Ultium’s state-of-the-art NCMA (nickel-cobalt-manganese-aluminum) chemistry uses aluminum in the cathode to help reduce the need for rare-earth materials such as cobalt. In fact, GM engineers reduced the cobalt content by more than 70 percent, compared to current GM batteries.

The advanced battery chemistry is packed in large, flat pouch cells that enable smart module construction to reduce complexity and simplify cooling needs. Additionally, the battery electronics are incorporated directly into the modules, eliminating nearly 90 percent of the battery pack wiring, compared to GM’s current electric vehicles. 

When it comes to charging, LYRIQ offers quick and convenient charging options whether at home or on the go. With DC fast charging, the LYRIQ can charge at rates over 150 kW. 

ARTFULLY INTEGRATED TECHNOLOGY
Envisioned to make interaction with its technologies more intuitive and rewarding, the LYRIQ’s partnership with the driver and passengers is simultaneously energizing and artful.

Upon approach, the LYRIQ recognizes the driver and initiates a “greeting” with a choreographed lighting sequence, while also preparing the cabin for the journey, including seat, mirror and climate system adjustments. Once inside, the LYRIQ offers Cadillac’s highest level of driver information, infotainment and connectivity integration, for a more seamless and rewarding experience.

A 33-inch-diagonal advanced LED display artfully integrates a single, large screen that spans the viewing area for the driver and incorporates driver information details, infotainment controls and camera views. This new display has the highest pixel density available in the automotive industry today and can display over one billion colors, 64 times more than any other vehicle in the automotive industry, providing a stunning in-vehicle experience unlike anything seen before from Cadillac.

Additional technology and interactive highlights include:

• Battery and charging monitoring conveyed by easy, at-a-glance graphics. The system identifies the vehicle’s energy needs at home and on the go, according to owner preferences, while also monitoring and forecasting energy consumption and providing charging suggestions.
  • New dual-plane augmented reality-enhanced head-up display employs two planes: a near plane indicating speed, direction and more, and a far plane displaying transparent navigation signals and other important alerts.
  • The latest version of Super Cruise, the hands-free driver assistance feature, including automated lane change.3
  • Supervised remote parking that uses ultrasonic sensors to help the LYRIQ park itself in parallel or perpendicular parking spaces — whether the driver is inside or outside of the vehicle.4

SENSE OF SOUND
LYRIQ’s technology also addresses sound in two important ways: Blocking unwanted sounds and making the most of the sounds passengers want to hear.

For the first time, Cadillac will introduce a new road noise cancellation technology, which takes active noise cancellation to the next level by introducing more microphones and accelerometers, which improve noise cancellation abilities. With this new system, Cadillac’s performance and audio engineers can target the frequency range of tire cavity noise, reducing the noise level in the vehicle and allowing for a quieter in-cabin experience.

The Cadillac LYRIQ builds on the brand’s exclusive partnership with AKG. “With LYRIQ we wanted to deliver a sound experience that would transport the driver from a vehicle into a recording studio,” said Hussein Khalil, Cadillac lead audio design release engineer. “With the AKG sound system, we are able to deliver this experience along with the quality and reliability luxury customers expect.”

At launch, LYRIQ will offer a 19-speaker AKG Studio audio system that delivers exceptionally crisp and precise sound reproduction, enabling drivers and passengers to enjoy their favorite music.

NEW FACE OF CADILLAC
Cadillac’s first electric SUV makes a bold design statement that introduces a new face, proportion and presence for the brand’s new generation of EVs. It’s a forward-looking vision unconstrained by the needs of a traditional internal combustion engine and driveline.

“The LYRIQ represents the next iteration of the iconic brand’s styling, enabled by electrification, as only Cadillac can express,” said Andrew Smith, executive director, Global Cadillac Design. “Inside and out, LYRIQ is a thoughtful integration of design and technology and is intended to make every drive an occasion.”

Defined by taut lines and clean surfaces, LYRIQ is assertive and modern, characterized with a low, fast roofline and wide stance that emphasize agility and convey confidence. Additional details such as a flow-through roof spoiler express the careful attention paid to aerodynamics to optimize efficiency on the highway.

A distinctive “black crystal” grille in the front is one of the LYRIQ’s most unique and expressive design elements. It is also a dynamic feature, as it is part of a dramatic lighting choreography that — along with bold vertical, slim LED signature lighting — greets the owner upon approach. At the rear, a split taillamp design incorporates slim LEDs that are also integrated into the lighting choreography.

Inside, the LYRIQ’s new electric vehicle architecture opens up possibilities in vehicle spaciousness and design; and Cadillac designers used this as an opportunity to rethink how to use the space and where to locate various interior elements.

The result is a more airy, minimalistic design that does more to involve the driver and passengers in the driving experience while offering exceptional functionality when it comes to storage solutions. It is also brimming with subtle yet obsessive details such as backlit speaker grilles, curved screens with hidden storage and, like the exterior, orchestrated lighting features.

View full article

I dig this actually...pretty cool.

but the idiocy of it (typical GM idiocy in a higher dose this time) is to not have it ready until 2 years from now, and also, it really would help Cadillac a lot more to make it ICE engine and sell it as the XT7.

twin turbo six standard.  Blackwing v8 twin turbo OHC optional.

I'd change the rear side window a bit and wrap the tailights a bit differently but I sort of dig what they are getting at....trying cool things.  Front lighting is way cool.

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 2

It doesn't look good, the front looks too much like a Chevy Blazer and the rear end is all messed up.  But it is a concept too, so we'll have to see what the production car looks like, and all the interior images they showed were simulated, so we can't really be sure yet how that will look.

Would be nice to have heard more specs, like horsepower or performance beyond a targeted 300 mile range.  Seems like this will be a 2023 model, so it is a ways off.  I don't know why they would show their hand that far out, and I think what they have isn't better than what Tesla was selling a couple years ago.  

• Disagree 3

11 hours ago, regfootball said:

but the idiocy of it (typical GM idiocy in a higher dose this time) is to not have it ready until 2 years from now, and also, it really would help Cadillac a lot more to make it ICE engine and sell it as the XT7.

I'd change the rear side window a bit and wrap the tailights a bit differently but I sort of dig what they are getting at....trying cool things.  Front lighting is way cool.

Agree with you that the stupid 2yr to get to market is just total mgmt. ignorance, would have been better to hold off on showing anything then till closer to the on sale date.

Disagree with you on the ICE thing, that boat sailed and the companies who move to EV sooner will survive I believe. 

GM can survive on their current ICE line up to profit through the change over to an EV portfolio.

Cool part is that I can see this as a Blackwing edition with the 3 motor 1,000 HP / 11,000 lb-ft of torque layout that they are planning for Hummer. Course, EV's are far more programmable than ICE and so they could have a potential 2,000 HP / 22,000 lb-ft of torque version to go into the ultimate Blackwing version all with Black chrome would be awesome.

Rear is for sure very controversial and it does seem to generate a love or hate reaction on the web from people posting. 

For sure Cadillac has people talking about them.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, regfootball said:

This was designed as an EV, so that's not going to happen...and we are talking about GM..it would have had a transverse 2.0 4 had it been an ICE product..

I'd love to have seen GM build a powerful V8 CUV to compete w/ the Cayenne,  but that window of opportunity is past...GM's future is electric as they have stated.  

GM is committed to the EV future...whether they will be successful or not only time will tell...

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 3

Didn't it take 2 years for Tesla between the showing of the Model 3 to being able to buy it?
Hell, hasn't the M3 (a trim and engine upgrade on the same model) taken 1.5 years to go on sale from when a new 3-series did? This sort of time span is certainly not unprecedented.

5 hours ago, balthazar said:

^ Right, but because it's Cadillac / GM, it's "inept management".  🙄

Yup, They should then call it a concept for consumer feedback on the styling rather than a show car for production.

GM is not the only one here that shows stuff off IMHO way too early from Production. I wish everyone would show concepts for getting feedback from the Public, but keep actual production auto's to no more than 12 months out from release. I think this would be better public perception.

17 hours ago, balthazar said:

Blazer :

Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 9.53.48 PM.png

Lyriq :

Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 9.53.52 PM.png

😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

Dated, dowdy & spartan when new, dead in 2022 :

Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 9.57.27 PM.png

The Cadillac front end looks like a Chevy.  Even worse when you put an XT6 vs a Chevy.  

Edited by smk4565
  • Disagree 3

16 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

The Cadillac front end looks like a Chevy.  Even worse when you put an XT6 vs a Chevy.  

While they are blah you can at least truly tell them apart unlike the MB stable.

Perfect case in point, one cannot tell which model is which here. This is just terrible, worse styling differentiation ever!

image.png

3 hours ago, David said:

Yup, They should then call it a concept for consumer feedback on the styling rather than a show car for production.

You mean like the show car for production ELR or the show car for production XTS?
I’m not worried.

32 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

The Cadillac front end looks like a Chevy. 

You’re sight impaired.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, David said:

While they are blah you can at least truly tell them apart unlike the MB stable.

Perfect case in point, one cannot tell which model is which here. This is just terrible, worse styling differentiation ever!

image.png

Except all 4 of those are E-classes.  I don't care if all Cadillacs look the same, I care if Cadillacs look like Chevrolets.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Except all 4 of those are E-classes.  I don't care if all Cadillacs look the same, I care if Cadillacs look like Chevrolets.

Yet I doubt the majority here myself included could tell these were E class and not S or C class.

Having Family DNA is one thing, having all levels of a product line blur into each other is another. MB has blurred all levels badly.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, David said:

Yet I doubt the majority here myself included could tell these were E class and not S or C class.

Front fascias are the same, grilles differ.  Headlights are the same...and the E-class is the only MB line w/ 4 bodystyles..sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon.

• Thanks 1

Cadillac says it will start under $75k, which makes me thinking dual motor with options is pushing $100k.  This vehicle better be good if they want Escalade money for it.  

The Lyriq doesn't have 400 mile range or 350 kwh charge which are the top on market now, this car is 2-3 years away.   I don't see what the hook is, other than if you currently have a Cadillac SUV and want an EV.  Unless more details are released closer to launch so we have to wait and see.

41 minutes ago, balthazar said:

That's was a Ward's Auto/other rag's guess, not Cadillac-sourced.

In the Ward's article they said Steve Carlisle said it would start under $75,000.  

Without knowing the performance or standard features, it is hard to determine what is a good price point.  $75k undercuts the Tesla Model X by $5k, maybe that makes the Lyriq a bargain, or maybe $75k is a rip off, but we don't know yet.

If 80% of that vehicle comes to market starting at $75K, that's incredible bargain... but that interior (or 80% of that interior) is $100K plus.
The Model X is certainly no class leader here - Tesla is hiding it's sales by combining them with another falling -and completely unrelated- model, the Model S. The field is ripe for a new model to rise to the top. You know it's not coming from mercedes.

24 minutes ago, balthazar said:

If 80% of that vehicle comes to market starting at $75K, that's incredible bargain... but that interior (or 80% of that interior) is $100K plus.
The Model X is certainly no class leader here - Tesla is hiding it's sales by combining them with another falling -and completely unrelated- model, the Model S. The field is ripe for a new model to rise to the top. You know it's not coming from mercedes.

Base Model X today has 351 mile range, Cadillac is targeting 300 miles in 2023.

The Model X Performance does 0-60 in 2.6 seconds, and GM won't allow anything faster than a Corvette, so I doubt the Lyriq is going to beat that.   And if Tesla has some cash flow, I imagine they'll have new versions of the Model S and X by 2023.  

Mercedes has over 400 miles of range in the EQS, that will come next year, and EQE and a couple SUVs in 2022, if anyone is going to challenge Tesla I'd imagine it will be Mercedes who will have the battery factories and facilities to make all this stuff and has a customer base used to paying these kind of prices.   VW group might also be a big disruptor given their global size and number of brands.  

4 hours ago, smk4565 said:

In the Ward's article they said Steve Carlisle said it would start under $75,000.

A-aaaaand they said the original Seville would start at $8K, and when it came out it was $12K. The Lyriq is too far from the showroom floor to pin it down now.

2 hours ago, smk4565 said:

The Model X Performance does 0-60 in 2.6 seconds...

Yet no one buys it. 

and GM won't allow anything faster than a Corvette, so I doubt the Lyriq is going to beat that.

Seeing as how the base Corvette already is doing 2.8 secs, there’s plenty of room. Doesn’t really matter obviously; no one buys the 2.6 sec SUV as it is. Perhaps you don’t understand the consumer demographic like you think you do.

• Agree 1

On 8/7/2020 at 9:41 AM, balthazar said:

Didn't it take 2 years for Tesla between the showing of the Model 3 to being able to buy it?
Hell, hasn't the M3 (a trim and engine upgrade on the same model) taken 1.5 years to go on sale from when a new 3-series did? This sort of time span is certainly not unprecedented.

Not to mention how long has Benz been “showing off” the delayed EQS lineup? Funny how that gets sidestepped by the resident Daimler fan. 

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Without knowing the performance or standard features, it is hard to determine what is a good price point.  $75k undercuts the Tesla Model X by $5k, maybe that makes the Lyriq a bargain, or maybe $75k is a rip off, but we don't know yet.

For those wondering about the Ward's Auto article - https://www.wardsauto.com/vehicles/cadillac-lyriq-pricing-expected-under-75000

In response to a media question during a briefing earlier this week, GM North America President Steve Carlisle says pricing for the Lyriq will begin below $75,000.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, balthazar said:

^ Lyriq is “80% production”. That leaves 20% up for possible change.
Logically thinking, that likewise gives room for 20% change in MSRP, and not necessarily downward, either.

But is that a bad thing? Logically we have Buick doing what it should and that is mid level luxury to entry level high end. 

At this point, why not have Cadillac be that TRUE LUXURY brand. I see no reason for Buick and Cadillac to fight it out in the same 30 to 60 K range.

I agree that true luxury brands should not be downmarket... but the small margin / bigger volume is too ahrd for single-marque brands to resist. SMK seems to think that a $75K Lyriq is some sort of indicator of a problem. I believe we're too far out from a finalized vehicle to take that figure as law right now.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Not to mention how long has Benz been “showing off” the delayed EQS lineup? Funny how that gets sidestepped by the resident Daimler fan. 

The issue isn't that Lyriq is 2.5 years away from dealerships, it is that the range they are promising is 50 miles less than what the competitor offers today.  I assume a big part of showing the vehicle now is to get people excited and to sign up to buy one like Tesla does or like what Ford did with the Bronco.  But Cadillac didn't give a reason to wait 2 years for this car.  

Tesla Model X performance, which you specifically mentioned before, has a range of 305 miles.

Besides the already-illustrated time span explaination, I think the reason to wait for the Lyriq is obvious.
You know people were waiting for the Model X (initially; not any longer), and look at how bland & uninteresting that is.
Plenty of folk are going to find the Lyriq a stunner worthy of waiting for.

Edited by balthazar

7 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I agree that true luxury brands should not be downmarket... but the small margin / bigger volume is too ahrd for single-marque brands to resist. SMK seems to think that a $75K Lyriq is some sort of indicator of a problem. I believe we're too far out from a finalized vehicle to take that figure as law right now.

$75k isn't a problem if the car is good.  All the interior images shown were computer simulation, so we can't really judge how good the interior is, we don't know what the actual materials will be like.  We don't know the horsepower or performance either.    It is too far out to judge.  I don't get why Cadillac showed it now really without more of a hook to excite buyers.    Unless GM just had to show an EV to shareholders to make it look like they were doing something because of Tesla.  

Tesla is worth 6 times more than GM right now, GM shareholders have to wonder why they are sticking around.

15 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

The issue isn't that Lyriq is 2.5 years away from dealerships, it is that the range they are promising is 50 miles less than what the competitor offers today.  I assume a big part of showing the vehicle now is to get people excited and to sign up to buy one like Tesla does or like what Ford did with the Bronco.  But Cadillac didn't give a reason to wait 2 years for this car.  

All the writeups including the latest one from wardsauto is saying as a 2023 model year, meaning this auto will be out late spring, summer 2022 or 1 and 1/2 years away, not 2.5. If GM stays on this course, they will still deliver the LYRIQ way faster than MB has delivered the EQS.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

All the interior images shown were computer simulation

19:25 in the video. I don't see anything in that segment that proves it's all CGI.

- - - - -
Legally, a 2023 model can go on sale Jan 1, 2022. Cadillac did that sort of thing with the first CTS.

Edited by balthazar
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Tesla Model X performance, which you specifically mentioned before, has a range of 305 miles.

Besides the already-illustrated time span explaination, I think the reason to wait for the Lyriq is obvious.
You know people were waiting for the Model X (initially; not any longer), and look at how bland & uninteresting that is.
Plenty of folk are going to find the Lyriq a stunner worthy of waiting for.

But the base Model X has 350 miles.  And the Lyric is not a Tesla.  Tesla is the on fire brand, it represents the future.  Cadillac is the past and has an image problem.  

8 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

$75k isn't a problem if the car is good.  All the interior images shown were computer simulation, so we can't really judge how good the interior is, we don't know what the actual materials will be like.  We don't know the horsepower or performance either.    It is too far out to judge.  I don't get why Cadillac showed it now really without more of a hook to excite buyers.    Unless GM just had to show an EV to shareholders to make it look like they were doing something because of Tesla.  

At this same stage for MB on the EQS, everything was computer simulation also, but from what they have shown we already know that the bulk of the interior is real including the dash which is from the new Escalade. This is already superior to what has been seen out of MB.

• Agree 1

But the base model doesn't go 0-60 in 2.6 secs.
How many models do you want to compare 1 competitor to?

Correction: Tesla WAS on fire. the catalog is stale now- Model s is NINE years old, and Musk has combined S & X sales numbers to hide the dwindling numbers there. The Model 3 cannibalized off most of the S buyers.

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, balthazar said:

19:25 in the video. I don't see anything in that segment that proves it's all CGI.

- - - - -
Legally, a 2023 model can go on sale Jan 1, 2022. Cadillac did that sort of thing with the first CTS.

Totally Agree, none of that is CGI, it is all real compared to what MB had shown before their autoshow with the EQS. I do love how the front lights up when you unlock the auto. Interior is awesome!!!

1 minute ago, David said:

All the writeups including the latest one from wardsauto is saying as a 2023 model year, meaning this auto will be out late spring, summer 2022 or 1 and 1/2 years away, not 2.5. If GM stays on this course, they will still deliver the LYRIQ way faster than MB has delivered the EQS.

I have read Lyriq will be on sale late 2022.  EQS will be on sale in calendar year 2021. 

5 minutes ago, balthazar said:

It is pre-prouction interior and they are only showing bits and pieces.  I'll reserve judgment on the vehicle and price until when we see the product version.  The styling I am not  fan of, I assume that will stay pretty similar.  

4 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

I have read Lyriq will be on sale late 2022.  EQS will be on sale in calendar year 2021. 

CORRECTION, via multiple sources, on sale some time first half of 2021 with deliveries by the end of 2021 start of 2022. That means the EQS will either be a very late 2022 model year or early 2023. About the same time frame as the Cadillac being delivered since you can pre-order it starting this fall with a deposit, final pricing to determine cost in 2021 or so. Not much difference than what Tesla, Ford or anyone else is really doing.

Same with the Hummer by GMC this fall.

21 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

It is pre-prouction interior and they are only showing bits and pieces.  I'll reserve judgment on the vehicle and price until when we see the product version.

Yes; it's not 100% production-spec. But it's also not "only CGI", is it?
They showed most of it tho- doors, dash, center console, panoramic overhead shots. A lot more than 'bits & pieces' and just as much as any OEM-issued interior video. As for 'reserving judgement', you've already made up you mind and that -I dare to say- was before you saw a single image.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, David said:

CORRECTION, via multiple sources, on sale some time first half of 2021 with deliveries by the end of 2021 start of 2022. That means the EQS will either be a very late 2022 model year or early 2023. About the same time frame as the Cadillac being delivered since you can pre-order it starting this fall with a deposit, final pricing to determine cost in 2021 or so. Not much difference than what Tesla, Ford or anyone else is really doing.

Same with the Hummer by GMC this fall.

Order date doesn't matter, when it is physically sitting on a dealer lot is what matters.  Tesla can take 500,000 reservations for a Cybertruck but that is meaningless until there is an actual  truck sitting in an actual customer's driveway.  

21 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Order date doesn't matter, when it is physically sitting on a dealer lot is what matters.  Tesla can take 500,000 reservations for a Cybertruck but that is meaningless until there is an actual  truck sitting in an actual customer's driveway.  

I would basically agree with that, except Tesla threw all that convention out the window, having thousands waiting a year to 2 years, with deposits made, for a car.

42 minutes ago, balthazar said:

That's highly questionable- mercedes just announced they are cancelling SEVEN models.
I knew the cost-cutting was going to hit quick & hard.

Yeah, cutting coupe and convertible versions of the C, E, and S-class and the CLS is probably dead after this generation. There may be a new CLE coupe/convertible coming so they have a convertible that isn’t over $100k in the portfolio.

They are cutting vanity products that don’t sell which is smart, there is no shortage of SUVs,  they keep adding those.

9 hours ago, smk4565 said:

EQS will be on sale in calendar year 2021. 

Wrong, reviewing multiple auto news sites, they all seem to have one consistent thing in common. S-Class sedan is set to make an appearance in September 2020 with on sale date as a 2021 starting Jan 2021 due to the Pandemic.

This is the real clear NOTE to pay attention too:

Christoph Starzynski, the EQS chief engineer, says it already feels like an S-Class and that the team is hitting its targets. When will the EQS go into production? Starzynski said it will probably be "two more years", which means that it may only arrive as a 2023 model and give the all-new S-Class plenty of time to lay the foundation for the next generation of Mercedes flagship luxury sedans.

That means at the Earliest we will see this out in the 2022 calendar year here in the US. Considering how much both Mercedes-Benz and BMW have launched their EV's as a Global auto to then state it will be China First, Europe and then the US. Battery production delays, now teaming up with CATL so that they have Production close to MB manufacturing, yet that plant is only in construction phase now with production to start at the end of 2021. 

The EQ has been delayed multiple times due to two main reasons, they state demand in China and Europe have outstripped production, but then came back and said now that battery supply is not allowing them to start production and sales in the US.

They cannot make the EQ a Global on sale auto, how will they make the EQS when they do not have production up and running yet.

Clearly the EQS is a 2022 as a 2023 at the earliest production EV here in the US if they even ever get the EQ here.

MB EV's are Vapor products on the Global stage right now. 

Cadillac LYRIQ will be a China first product, then brought to the US. From there maybe the rest of the world, but GM has only Committed to China / Asian rim and the US for their EV products.

On top of this, Daimler has stated in 2020 the only all electric product in production is the SmartCar, first company to go all pure EV from ICE. https://www.daimler.com/innovation/case/electric/eq-production-hambach.html

They state they plan to have 10 to 15 EV's in production by 2022. 

• 1st have to get battery production going
  • 2nd actually have to get the presales of their EQ EV produced and delivered in China and Europe, forget the US, no on sale date per their own MBUSA web site.
  • 3rd have to actually have product here, they have stated they are investing in the US with battery production here, but that is not slated to be completed till Q1 2022. So the earliest would be Q1 2022 for EV production and sales here.
  • Reminder, May 7th 2019 MB had their news release that Sales would start as would production soon, yet still nothing available for reviews in Europe or China of the EQC yet. https://www.daimler.com/investors/reports-news/financial-news/20190507-eqc.html
  • MB announced in 2017 a $1 billion investment in their Tuscaloosa facilities with the bulk being for EV production that would start early next Decade. Being after 2020 and yet to date they have only increased for production of CUVs, electric investment has only recently started with some expansion of their buildings but nothing to date stated as production of battery packs or actual auto's yet. With their only head of Engineering stating 2 years at the earliest to come to market behind the new S-Class again this goes inline with having a 2022 year release at the earliest. https://www.daimler.com/company/locations/tuscaloosa/
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Yeah, cutting coupe and convertible versions of the C, E, and S-class and the CLS is probably dead after this generation. There may be a new CLE coupe/convertible coming so they have a convertible that isn’t over $100k in the portfolio.

They are cutting vanity products that don’t sell which is smart, there is no shortage of SUVs,  they keep adding those.

Why should they cut models when you have always stated they are the most profitable auto company around and will always have the most diverse portfolio. That would imply they should have no problem continuing to sell non-profitable cars.

• Agree 1

This is an interesting read on why the LYRIQ is NOT for the US market. We might never actually get it since there is no confirmed production in the US, only China. The US seems destined to get the Hummer by GMC brand for sure which is not slated for China.

This brings up an Interesting thought, if LYRIQ is not for the US, but really only China where Cadillac has a strong growth and GMC does not exist, Could GMC become the big luxury brand in the US as Cadillac goes away to China only?

Could we see a Chevrolet / Buick / GMC future of the US?

One would hope that Cadillac would become the true Luxury only brand it once was and that anything below the $60 to $70 K level is left to Buick/GMC dealerships.

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/35466/the-cadillac-lyriq-leads-gms-electric-luxury-future-but-its-not-really-for-you