Sign in to follow this  
Nodnarb

Recalls a time for Toyota to shine.

70 posts in this topic

...So this is what it's looking like to me.

GM: We are recalling 75,000 cars from the late 90s for a faulty windshield wiper.

Media Outlet 1: GM's Crappy Vehicles Spawn Yet Another Recall.

Media Outlet 2: GM's Closing of the Quality Gap Still has a Ways to Go.

Toyota: Begging your pardon, young sirs and madames, but we are needing to recall a million of our cars because the steering could fail and cause the driver to lose control of their vehicle.

aaaantoine: Isn't this reminiscent of what happened to Satty's Solara? (okay, I'm only now saying this, but the thought just dawned on me)

Media: "By proactively recalling nearly 1 million cars worldwide, Toyota can burnish its already excellent reputation for customer service"

aaaantoine: ... :cussing:

Is everyone else seeing this?

I just want to make sure.

Interesting. So the next time GM, Ford, or DCX recall so many vehicles for a major defect (a screwed-up steering system that could have the driver losing control of the car is pretty major in my book), can we expect such a nice, friendly "recalls-aren't-so-bad" article?

I doubt it.

wow. read some of the owner comments. they are raggin on the mess that wrote this piece, with the exception of the old dude with the wheelchair who bought his prius to SAVE THE PLANET......

*shakes head*

And people claim there is no bias....

Right.

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"You've made a fool of everyone" ... Jet ... 'Look What You've Done'

First the NYTimes article and now this...I really believe the masses are gonna start to wonder wth is going on.

dude, you have no idea how many folks have their heads in the sand to anything that required thinking and cars these days......

tonight, my buddy is all gung ho and trading the odyssey to get an SUV because the wife 'wants an SUV and 4wd' so they are all horned on either the Pilot or Ridgeline. i mentioned the upcoming outlook and acadia and enclave and all i got was the whole GM is crap speech. Then i offered up the x5, Volvo XC, the Land Rover, Freestyle, CX-7, Tribeca ( and they used to have two Outbacks!) anything basically besides the Pilot. I know the Pilot is handy and a nice vehicle but when he started saying how 'Honda is selling so many Ridgelines' and i'ts all the vehicle you need' and how he can say with a stright face that the ody held its value so much better than GM......

dude. you paid 33 grand for that ody about 30 months ago and now you will take 18000 in trade. you lost 15 grand in 30 months.

BUT IT HOLDS ITS VALUE SO WELL..........

wtf? in my book that's still losing 6 grand a year on a vehicle. Holy crap, that's robbery. at least pull your head out of the sand and realize your getting bent over. That X5 won't lose 6 grand a year, and nor will the XC Volvo, unlike what you claim.

Admit you're a Honda banger and are sucked into the whole thing! you can say honda always builds a great car but have never heard of the MDX/TL tranny problems!?!?!

and then realize your wife is having a milf identity crisis and is basically tired of the minivan image and wants the SUV to boost her ego and make her feel hip again. She's tired of the mommy wagon stigma. She doesn't want or NEED the 4wd to drive 7 miles to work on backroads. oh, but the Jeep GC is too small! The Commander is too big!

MAN!

meanwhile my other buddy got stuck leasing a Pilot for his wife against his will, he hates the "cheap interior" and the 15 mpg. At least he admits its not all its cracked up to be. He also hates the sub 20 mpg and small cabin and slow acceleration of his FOUR CYLINDER passat.......

Edited by regfootball

Toyota fan responds at bottom of article:

Nickname: PJTodd

Review: I am a Toyota fan, but this article is a shameless PR piece disguised as reporting. The irony is that Toyota routinely scores poorly in surveys of customer service at the dealership, despite the quality of the vehicles. Forgetting the brands involved in the article, this is just exceptionally poor journalism.

Date reviewed: Jun 5, 2006 4:27 PM

Funny, all this toyota love seems to be creating negative repsonses. Once again, toyota is following in the foot steps of GM 30 years ago.

{waiting for the import humpers to continue to blindly deny media bias...}

Reg- good post above but what jumped out at me is that you called your buddy's wife a milf. Want to unburden yourself in the Lounge on this issue (don't forget at least one pic!)?

That's the thing... some people are always saying FoG

exagerates and is drinking GM KoolAid, where's the

fountain of Nippon-Aid that all these journalists are

drinking?

This makes me want to demolition derby a Camry in

this year's Holloween Howler Race.

Yeah, this is pretty poor journalism. But the comments also show us that no car company is invincible from criticism, even from its own customers.

I wrote Automotive for my univeristy's paper, and generally speaking, they were pretty unbiased (if a bit more domestic leaning articles :AH-HA_wink: ). Hell, some guy on campus walked up to me after he read one of my articles and told me he made up his mind and bought an SRT-4, a nice silver one. (it's a beaut)

However, one week I had two 2500 word essays, so outsourced my article to a buddy. Needless to say, I got plenty of complaints from people in my residence about how I (he) over glorified the Mazda3...

Editorial kinda gave me hell about journalistic integrity and impartiality, even though I didn't write the article and told editorial in advance that I didn't write it.

Chances are Matt Vella will likely get similar treatment or worse after his higher ups read this article and the comments about it.

I just shake my head. Sixtyeight is right: FOG isn't as crazy as people think. The bias is real and we see it every day. Our local rag, the Toronto Star, publishes this kind of crap all the time. Bob Lutz even chewed them out a couple years back about the Grand Prix, which they hated.

Recalls are NOT necessarily a bad thing, to be sure, but to spin this article this way, yet GM got trashed over the tailgate cable problem is outrageous.

{waiting for the import humpers to continue to blindly deny media bias...}

Reg- good post above but what jumped out at me is that you called your buddy's wife a milf. Want to unburden yourself in the Lounge on this issue (don't forget at least one pic!)?

actually for that post I was using the term milf generically, almost like cultural slang, as a representation of her being the middle aged mommy thing. In truth, this person I have zero sort of admiration for in a physical way. ZERO. Not ugly, or anything, just not at all the sort that does anything for me. To top it off she's my wife's best friend. So really I guess I was using it as a descriptive term for the middle aged self confident mom trying to be hip.

It's probably how we can be such good 'couple friends' there's never any underlying tension or anything like that to disrupt a productive couple friendship.

Usually, if you are a guy and are friends with some other mom you find attractive or there is any sort of tension or flirting, your wife will generally develop animosity towards the other female. Consequently, its darn tough to maintain a couples relationship and your own marraige without problems of some sort.

Funny how the meaning of a term like milf can drift or evolve once it gets used more and more..........

Edited by regfootball

Yeah, this is pretty poor journalism. But the comments also show us that no car company is invincible from criticism, even from its own customers.

I wrote Automotive for my univeristy's paper, and generally speaking, they were pretty unbiased (if a bit more domestic leaning articles  :AH-HA_wink: ). Hell, some guy on campus walked up to me after he read one of my articles and told me he made up his mind and bought an SRT-4, a nice silver one. (it's a beaut)

However, one week I had two 2500 word essays, so outsourced my article to a buddy. Needless to say, I got plenty of complaints from people in my residence about how I (he) over glorified the Mazda3...

Editorial kinda gave me hell about journalistic integrity and impartiality, even though I didn't write the article and told editorial in advance that I didn't write it.

Chances are Matt Vella will likely get similar treatment or worse after his higher ups read this article and the comments about it.

that Vella dude should be relegated to mailroom status. One or two more articles like that and he would be fired, if I were the boss. Why his boss/editor allowed that to go live, they ought to be reprimanded as well.

Poor journalism is an understatement. This is more than rediculous.

BTW, just to get under everyone's skin, one article does not prove the media bias theory.

Guest YellowJacket894

I was going to post this to the mentioned website. Think I should?

How much has Toyota paid you to write your piece, Mr. Vella?

Probably just enough to convince yourself to shove your head up your ass and write this senseless drivel. You are a very unprofessional journalist, sir.

The fact is that General Motors and the rest of the guys busting their ass in Detroit make very competitive products that are just as good as anything Toyota can build. However, their work is never good enough for schmucks like you who continue to shove this money-driven crap down the throats of the American people.

People like you make me sick. Most Americans read the local newspaper and watch CNN to read the news. They expect the unbiased opinion from a professional journalist who presents the facts from both sides of the story. You've failed to do this, Mr. Vella. This whole "article" sounds like something Toyota released from the PR department. I mean, just look at the headings. "On the case"? "Ahead of the pack"? I would expect the same thing from a Toyota Camry media packet.

It's true that GM and Detroit weren't the best of the world...about twenty to thirty years ago, but they've seen their faults and are coming back full circle with better products. In reality, Toyota is like Detroit way back when and -- guess what? -- they're going to fall just as hard as Detroit did, if the fall is caused by Detroit's retaliation or the little guy known as Korea.

I pity people like you who always want to be on the winning team, not matter how much the team cheats.

Edited by YellowJacket894

Bob Lutz even chewed them out a couple years back about the Grand Prix, which they hated.

That was funny, I almost forgot about that.

Lutz had balls, I like that!

Funny how the meaning of a term like milf can drift or evolve once it gets used more and more..........

OK, I gotcha. I defaulted to the original definition knowing the horndog you seem to be at times. Just looking for a good story.

tonight, my buddy is all gung ho and trading the odyssey to get an SUV because the wife 'wants an SUV and 4wd' so they are all horned on either the Pilot or Ridgeline.  i mentioned the upcoming outlook and acadia and enclave and all i got was the whole GM is crap speech.  Then i offered up the x5, Volvo XC, the Land Rover, Freestyle, CX-7, Tribeca ( and they used to have two Outbacks!) anything basically besides the Pilot.  I know the Pilot is handy and a nice vehicle but when he started saying how 'Honda is selling so many Ridgelines' and i'ts all the vehicle you need'

Let's look at it the other way. If your buddy was all gung-ho about a GM SUV, would you even mention any other vehicles? Let alone a Honda? Probably not.

and how he can say with a stright face that the ody held its value so much better than GM...... dude.  you paid 33 grand for that ody about 30 months ago and now you will take 18000 in trade.  you lost 15 grand in 30 months.

It's not Honda's fault dealers give you jack for trades, or that your buddy might not be a very good negotiator.

Guest Josh

Or it doesnt hold its value worth a piece of my dogs $h! in the backyard.

I love how the fan boys try to compensate for their shortcomings on many things.

What I see is this:

Detroit is starting to turn the public perception, so why not put a *piece* like this out there to quickly change the public perception overnight on GM vehicles?

The Asians already know they E85 campaign is working and are trying their best to shelve that.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this