49 posts in this topic

Satty    338

Top 10 Automakers Worldwide

Ranking  Automaker      2005 Global Sales

1  General Motors          8,381,805

2  Toyota Motor Corp.      8,120,000

Overseas brands are included.

Satty    338

Only possible explanation I could think of, other than one source or the other playing with the numbers, is that GM counted commercial vehicles or busses or something like that and the other place didn't. I dont have a clue why there would be a discrepancy of eight hundred thousand cars. Maybe Jim Dollinger sold that many Buick's on December 31st but weren't registered until January 3rd so they didn't go down as 2005 sales?

Hudson    16

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/06/08/010402.html

GM still is the biggest car company in the world. I wonder if  GM's overseas brands are included in this figure :scratchchin:

GM is a global company...of course they count GM's overseas brands. Opel, Vauxhall, Holden, and Saab are 100% owned by GM and therefore counted in their global sales.

roopull    0

The problem is that while Toyota keeps selling more & more cars each year, GM is selling less. So, Toyota can afford to support its massive size & is making massive profits while doing it. GM's massive size, unlike Toyota's, is NOT an asset, but a problem. The UAW as crippled GM into not being able to properly adjust to market demands. Why else would virtually EVERY new auto plant being built be built in 'right to work' states? The other makers don't want to get stuck in GM's shoes. Brace yourselves for the inevitible... Toyota will be the biggest.

However, if they keep having media black eyes like the new Avalon's reliability issues, the Prius's mileage issues & designs as dull as the Echo... while GM - hopefully - can manage to keep creating awesome rides like the Sky, C6 Vette, & tuner friendly Cobalt, things could eventually turn around. I admit, that's a big IF, though.

Paolino    99

Thats a frighteningly slim margin of victory.

That's what I was thinking. :(

ellives    0

Speaking of boring designs, has anybody else notice the current Lexus commercial for the new ES? That has got to be one of the most boring cars I've seen in years. It makes Buick's current offerings look aggressive.

The problem is that while Toyota keeps selling more & more cars each year, GM is selling less.  So, Toyota can afford to support its massive size & is making massive profits while doing it.  GM's massive size, unlike Toyota's, is NOT an asset, but a problem.  The UAW as crippled GM into not being able to properly adjust to market demands.  Why else would virtually EVERY new auto plant being built be built in 'right to work' states?  The other makers don't want to get stuck in GM's shoes.  Brace yourselves for the inevitible...  Toyota will be the biggest.

However, if they keep having media black eyes like the new Avalon's reliability issues, the Prius's mileage issues & designs as dull as the Echo...  while GM - hopefully - can manage to keep creating awesome rides like the Sky, C6 Vette, & tuner friendly Cobalt, things could eventually turn around.  I admit, that's a big IF, though.

usa1    0

We all know Toyota will pass up GM soon. No one is denying that. I just hope the media jackals turn on Toyota quickly. The media likes to tear down #1.

Mark

Hudson    16

Maybe GMDAT is not being counted.

Some are...some aren't. This is a total of GM sales, which means that sales of GM brands are counted. Daewoo, for example, is not a GM brand since it is owned by GM DAT and GM DAT is only about half owned by GM. Chevrolet and Buick sell GM DAT vehicles in various countries of the world and THOSE vehicles would be counted as GM sales. This could be part of the discrepancy between GM"s numbers (they may be counting Daewoo sales) and the article's numbers.

enzl    0

Some are...some aren't. This is a total of GM sales, which means that sales of GM brands are counted. Daewoo, for example, is not a GM brand since it is owned by GM DAT and GM DAT is only about half owned by GM. Chevrolet and Buick sell GM DAT vehicles in various countries of the world and THOSE vehicles would be counted as GM sales. This could be part of the discrepancy between GM"s numbers (they may be counting Daewoo sales) and the article's numbers.

GMDAT included as of 6/30/05, according to Automotive News.

Fascinating breakdown on page 24 of this week's issue....Ex. Suzuki appears to be the world's most efficient producer, with only 13.7k employees producing 2million vehicles/yr.....Fords breakdown doesn't include Mazda's 1.2 million produced...VW has more employees than any other co.....

Mr.Krinkle    0

The other makers don't want to get stuck in GM's shoes.  Brace yourselves for the inevitible...  Toyota will be the biggest.

whoopy woo. what exactly am i bracing myself for?

am i not going to be invited to the "yay toyota is # 1 party" now?

who gives a sh*t.

roopull    0

why is nissan separate from renault?

I believe Renault simply owns a portion of Nissan, but hasn't actually merged the two companies.... I could be wrong.

who gives a sh*t.

Wow... judging by that response it would appear that you do & you clearly aren't too happy about it. Perhaps you aren't aware of just how obvious your emotions are. Thank you for your insightful and revealing response.

ZL-1    160

I'm probably going to get flamed for writing this, but I'd rather see GM at nr.2 but with the highest profitability, than see GM leading by some 200k vehicles in sales but losing $10B like they did in '05...

ellives    0

This is what the goal should be. The sins that caused the damage GM is responding to has been done over 20-30 years. The UAW has a lot to do with this and they'll get their just reward next year.

Companies need to make a profit to give themselves flexibility to maneuver and grow. Toyota and Honda are obviously aware of this and taking advantage of their positions in this area. GM has the legacy and this is tough to deal with but in the end getting profitable is the only way to take the pressure off and if it's necessary to sell less vehicles to get profitable, go for it.

I'm probably going to get flamed for writing this, but I'd rather see GM at nr.2 but with the highest profitability, than see GM leading by some 200k vehicles in sales but losing $10B like they did in '05...

Mr.Krinkle    0

I believe Renault simply owns a portion of Nissan, but hasn't actually merged the two companies....  I could be wrong.

who gives a sh*t.

Wow... judging by that response it would appear that you do & you clearly aren't too happy about it. Perhaps you aren't aware of just how obvious your emotions are. Thank you for your insightful and revealing response.

your welcome, it was no trouble really.

and i do know exactly what i said, but judging by the sarcasms dripping from your analysis, allow me to dumb it down a shade as you have not read between the lines or just like a snappy one liner to mix it up.

honda does ok without being number one. look at toyota, and theyre number 2 right now. forget the "niche" markets. if anything,dropping down a tick will give the folks at gm something to shoot for again. my point who gives a hairy rats ass who is numero uno. do they need fly girls to root them on....yayy were no 1??

essentially the turnaround thats going on cost 10 billion dollars. thats the real meat of the losses. kind of the you cant make an omlet without etc etc.

like the yellow dart said in the post directly above,

"People would be more likely to forgive them for sliding from 'sales king' than for massive cuts or bankruptcy scares. I agree that profit is more important."

i can think of plenty of products that i have that arent made by numero uno.

does that make them or me any worse off? am i somehow personally affected? are they. what they dont get the blue ribbon to put on their lapels any longer. look at the trouble sony's got themselves into, im not sure of their numbers but theyre a pretty big player.

...so again who cares who is the biggest or who is no 1?

Edited by Mr.Krinkle

lanky9172    0

Good morning everyone, long time reader, first time poster. I agree that a big problem with GM staying on top is the union especially when the union has members who act like the following: a fraternity brother of mine's dad retired from GM and is complaining about them cutting pensions and health benefits. This guy is obese though, probably 60-80 lbs. overweight and is on oxygen. I don't know if he is on oxy because of the work he was doing in the factory or what, but regardless, he could breathe a lot easier if he lost the set of tires around his middle.

So he has health problems and is pissed his health care is being cut. Understandable except for the fact that within the past two years he has bought a new Trailblazer EXT, a brand new Hitachi Plasma (the model with the rotating remote controlled stand which is EXPENSIVE!), a new Onkyo sound system, an XBOX 360 (a retiree? Yup, NOT his kid), a new high end HP computer, etc...real responsible spending there and all he can do is bash GM for cutting the benefits of retirees. How sick is this? If GM is going to stay on top, it needs to change more than just its business, but people's modes of thinking and lifestyle too...

Edited by lanky9172

Mr.Krinkle    0

toyota could probably buy up that difference out of their own pocket if they were so inclined.

it would be a drop in the bucket, assuming of course those numbers are accurate.

id still rather see gm go to number 2 become profitable and then climb back on top. this all reminds me of Ford Vs Chevy wars.

instead of ford though, its toyota. a little more competetion, this time on a global scale.

Simon C    0

Good morning everyone, long time reader, first time poster.  I agree that a big problem with GM staying on top is the union especially when the union has members who act like the following:  a fraternity brother of mine's dad retired from GM and is complaining about them cutting pensions and health benefits.  This guy is obese though, probably 60-80 lbs. overweight and is on oxygen.  I don't know if he is on oxy because of the work he was doing in the factory or what, but regardless, he could breathe a lot easier if he lost the set of tires around his middle. 

So he has health problems and is pissed his health care is being cut.  Understandable except for the fact that within the past two years he has bought a new Trailblazer EXT, a brand new Hitachi Plasma (the model with the rotating remote controlled stand which is EXPENSIVE!), a new Onkyo sound system, an XBOX 360 (a retiree?  Yup, NOT his kid), a new high end HP computer, etc...real responsible spending there and all he can do is bash GM for cutting the benefits of retirees.  How sick is this?  If GM is going to stay on top, it needs to change more than just its business, but people's modes of thinking and lifestyle too...

Ahhh yeah, we know all UAW members are "overweight", and we all play with our XBOX as soon as we get home from work. <_< And then we drink beer!!

GM's problems have nothing to do with design, cookie-cutter cars (1980-1998), and good competition.

The UAW has been a part of GM for what something like 60 years. Back in the 60's I don't recall anyone saying "GM is doing great. It's all because of the UAW". But today, GM is struggling and everyone says "GM is in trouble. It's all because of the UAW" :huh:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.