SingleStylish

Which would you rather have?

90 posts in this topic

Cobalt. *I hate this lame inset decklid trend. *Hey, Civic, it's not 1996 anymore. Ditch that goofy wing. (Ditto SS) *What a horrendous place for an ancillary digital speedometer. Why not incorporate it into the regular gauge cluster like everyone else does? *Civic's interior simply looks awful with three different HVAC vent designs.

I'm assuming you're referring to the SS Supercharged since it's about equal in horsepwer to the Si. It's kind of a tough choice for me as I find both to be good-looking cars. I think I might take the Si because I prefer it's interior to the Cobalt's.

Cobalt.

*I hate this lame inset decklid trend.
*Hey, Civic, it's not 1996 anymore. Ditch that goofy wing. (Ditto SS)
*What a horrendous place for an ancillary digital speedometer. Why not incorporate it into the regular gauge cluster like everyone else does?
*Civic's interior simply looks awful with three different HVAC vent designs.

[post="11536"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Agreed on every point. I prefer the smaller, more tasteful spoiler available on the other trim levels of the Cobalt. Not to mention the Cobalt SS/SC is my current favorite compact.

Exterior design: Civic Interior design: Cobalt Overall: Need to drive Based on looks alone, I'd pick the Cobalt. Though I think the exterior design of the Civic is more substantial, I'm not fond of the Ion-esque front and the interior downright sucks.

Sorry... I'm going to have to go with the Civic. It looks less ricey and ungainly outside. The interior sucks... but I have a GA, so I can't really complain much. I'm sure the build quality is better too... Not sure about driving dynamics as I haven't driven either, obviously.

If the new Civic Si drives more like an old Integra than the outgoing Civic Si, I'd take it. The Cobalt SS is a decent drive. There's nothing really wrong with it other than I don't care for the way the supercharged engine sounds.

It's a tossup for me. Because my loyalty tends to be with GM, I would go with the Cobalt. It's a liitle more aggresive looking as well.

The Cobalt would do me well in any trim, as long as it's a stick. Leave the Civic to the 604373407406702357967 Honda customizers who will do everything from remove the springs to adding lights from a Ford Fusion to be different.

Cobalt - The interior and exterior of the honda are way to 80s for me. That digital dash is down right horrible.

Cobalt. Most likely I would not be comfortable in the Si if it comes standard with a sunroof.

Civic.

Neither of them look super sporty in my opinion. The Civic's interior is georgous minus the speedometer and multistyled air vents. The Chevy's interior looks.... well, too Chevy. It looks cheap, old and plastic. On the outside, the Civic is a Civic, and not incredibly sporty. However it does look very refined and classy, where-as the Chevy's large spoiler and chrome rims look awful (I sure hope those are not the actual wheels that come on it). The basic body style of the Chevy is not that great either, it looks like a late 90's body design, not a big upgrade from the Cavalier.

Of course the Civic would benefit greatly in the sporty department by using a farther back A-pillar, longer hood, and a spoiler more similar to the 99-00 Civic Si's spoiler. But the car was designed with interior room and passengers in mind.

I'm not even going to comment on the longevity or resell value of the cars, as that is not really a choice.

The Chevy is probably faster in a straight line, being supercharged and having more displacement. The powerband is much broader. I believe a comparison has already been done between an 05 RSX-S and the Cobalt SS, and the Cobalt was slightly faster in the 0-60 and 1/4 times. And since the 05 RSX-S is comparible in engine power and weight to the Civic Si, I can only assume the same would be true in a Civic Si vs Cobalt SS performance comparison. This does not, of course, say anything about engine quality or refinement. Nor does it speak of track performance.

Edit:
Here is the RSX-S vs Cobalt SS R&T article for an idea of the performance aspect (take it with a grain of salt, no mag is unbiased or perfect). The Civic Si is rumored to be taking the place of the Acura RSX for 2007 and a 2 door TSX being introduced as Acura's entry model sports car (although I think it's a horrible idea and probably not true, we'll see). Like I said, the new Civic Si and 05 RSX-S are very comparible in performance, with the Si having a slight edge due to being lighter (although I can't say for sure since I haven't found any specs on it yet). I'm going to guess that the Si and SS are going to be very close in track times. Edited by siegen

I think the Civic has a better interior, but I would still take the Cobalt. The engine is underrated by a good amount and has a lot more torque than the Honda.

Cobalt... Interior is simple and clean, exterior doesn't look like it is going to jump!

Cobalt. Exterior looks much better. The spoiler could definitely go but the overal design is much more "sporty" and aggressive than the civic. The civic looks like a mutated Ion...which they actually managed to make look worse. The civic interior is downright nasty. The design is horrible and I wouldn't put much stock in the "higher quality" thing...the same thing has been said about the RSX and yea...that one is anything but.

I remember honda saying the last generation was of better quality than the previous, but we all know that didn't turn out to be true.

I wouldn't put much stock in the "higher quality" thing...the same thing has been said about the RSX and yea...that one is anything but.

How is the RSX anything but? Honda's have been known to be extremely well built and last over 200k easily, even with a lot of abuse. So far I have not seen any proof that the RSX is anything different from its predecessors.

Cobalt without the wing. But again, I won't really be considering sports cars. If it did exists, a coupe with the LT(Z) chrome would look interesting.

Cobalt--no question. Steering wheel and IP of the Civic is disgusting!!!! If Chevy did that everyone would be all over them. Only Honda can get away with that. Plus the Coblat will kill the Civic in a race and lookks way better. (hate the wing) I saw the estimated 0-60 of the Si in a magazine---7.3 seconds! If thats true I might be able to beat that in my 2.4L SS Cobalt!!! :P But I'll reserve judgement on that until some test numbers come out.

I saw the estimated 0-60 of the Si in a magazine---7.3 seconds! If thats true I might be able to beat that in my 2.4L SS Cobalt!!! :P  But I'll reserve judgement on that until some test numbers come out.

The new Civic's tighter gearing requires an upshift to 3rd gear to reach 60mph (it is a 6 speed transmission). I'm sure the 0-100 numbers will be a lot more flattering to the straight-line acceleration fanatics.

Honda, Because it is obviously better built, and in terms of reliability (the superchargers are never to be trusted, I've seen how superchargers burn out on GTP's), and of course the resale value compared to Chevy will always be higher for Hondas, so you get your money's worth.

Honda,

Because it is obviously better built, and in terms of reliability (the superchargers are never to be trusted, I've seen how superchargers burn out on GTP's), and of course the resale value compared to Chevy will always be higher for Hondas, so you get your money's worth.

[post="12996"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

In the past I'd agree about being better built but don't write off the Cobalt so quicky. Mine is tight and rattle free. Plau at 27 HZ I wonder if Honda can match that

Honda,

Because it is obviously better built, and in terms of reliability (the superchargers are never to be trusted, I've seen how superchargers burn out on GTP's), and of course the resale value compared to Chevy will always be higher for Hondas, so you get your money's worth.

[post="12996"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

and you have drivin the new civic? or are you just guessing? and of course you are basing the reliability of a new engine on a completely unrelating engine?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor