Lincoln Planning to Add Suicide Doors To Continental

The Lincoln Continental isn't doing so well. So far in 2018, sales of the model have dropped 30 percent. As we reported earlier this month, there is talk that the Continental could be going away once its lifecycle is completed. But the brand isn't giving up on their flagship sedan just yet.

During the 2018 National Automobile Dealers Association show yesterday, Lincoln showed its dealers a photo of the Continental with rear-hinged (aka suicide) doors and disclosed plans to build it. The move is part of an effort by Lincoln to show commitment to its car lineup. No timeframe or additional details were given. A number of Lincoln dealers who were at the meeting revealed this news under the condition of anonymity to Automotive News.

A Lincoln spokeswoman declined to comment on the suicide doors.

Suicide doors are not new nor unique to Lincoln. Before World War II, a number of brands equipped various models with this type of door. The 1961 Lincoln Continental would feature this type of door, helping make this version of the Continental one of the brand's most iconic models.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

I'll be pleasantly surprised if this does happen.  I like the current Continental, and a retro touch like this would be neat.

Nice Touch but they have many other issues they need to address besides putting on retro cool Suicide doors.

This would require some fairly substantial engineering changes on the current car.  I'm sure it could be done to the current one, but at what cost? There should be a next generation Continental on the new platform already in the works, my guess is that it shows up there.

I'm starting to wonder if Ford isn't doing a big media fakeout on some of this doom and gloom news surrounding the car lines.

They should install suicide doors and then cancel the Continental the next year.  Seems like a typical Ford product planning sort of thing to do.  Maybe this can be the new Lincoln signature, and put suicide doors on every vehicle they make, then it will make their cars different than Fords.

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

Would be a smart move for Lincoln to have Gullwing, Scissor, Suicide doors and more as you can use the same platform, but the style, interior and doors would make it different enough to not have comparisons.

6 hours ago, ocnblu said:

This will be cool, just what the doctor ordered.

Doctors are useless when the patient is essentially terminal.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Would be smart for Ford to build F series and Mustang...pretty much the only product they can keep interesting and relevant.

...and 1973 would have been a good time for them to have started facing relevancy issues.

• Downvote 1

Lincoln was down 23% last month, to 6700 units/mnth. I still don't think that's bad. Mini sold 3000 units with only 1 less model (really; it's 6 variations of the same cheese sandwich). Ford's volume can easily cover Lincoln.

The suicide doors is tremendously interesting- another major stepping stone to monetizing their heritage. Have to see what happens.

I wonder if people buzzed about Lincoln's survival in the early '60s, with sales volume far smaller than today. Myself, I've yet to come across such period conjecture.

If it just the doors, it would be a waste of money. Add a few other interesting ideas-now it might be worth something....

35 minutes ago, frogger said:

Lincoln's potential is mostly tied to China as a Buick competitor IMO.

Bingo.  I hate to be a Buzz kill but on a recent trip I saw more Ford products from the 50's and 60's out on a March Monday on the interstate than current generation Continentals.

Hate to Agree with SMK but Benz products are becoming as common as Toyota around here.

8 hours ago, balthazar said:

Survival of the continental as a product vs Lincoln as a brand I think.  They will continue to build the SUV products.  Wonder what the inevitable demise of the fusion lineup will do for the Lincoln car line.

There’s no way they want to take the current car and then refresh it with those doors. That’s actual suicide for the car.

The Continental really needs to provide obsessive luxury and quality, and the current car is good, but nowhere near that.

I just don’t understand how a car from LINCOLN that starts at $45,000 can be optioned up to $85,000.

Ford needs to invest in its product very badly and Hacett isn’t a car guy plain and simple.

6 minutes ago, Suaviloquent said:

Nothing unusual about that...plenty of models have a $40k or more spread between base and fully loaded...like the F150.

15 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

There's nothing wrong with the Fusion, Edge, or Explorer either.

There's nothing wrong with the Fusion, Edge, or Explorer either.

Edge and Explorer are decent but not class leading. fusion will go the way of the dodo bird and is not the car the accord or Camry are IMHO.

1 hour ago, Suaviloquent said:

This isn't out of the norm for any luxury automaker and even non-luxury vehicles. Look at all of the half ton trucks, for example.

Chevy Colorado has a 30k price spread as well. Starts at $20,200 and can be built to over $50,000. Lexus GS starts at 46k and can be built to 90k.

Just now, A Horse With No Name said:

Yeah they're not at the top but they're pretty close and offer performance trims their competitors don't save for the SRT Jeeps. There also isn't one brand that has a class leader in all of those segments so that's kind of a moot statement as each automaker kind of mixes and matches who's atop on each segment.

Just because the Fusion is going away doesn't mean it isn't a good car and still towards the top half of its segment and for being around for 6 years already, isn't a bad testament towards the car.

2 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

This does also smell like a desperate gimmick to get attention to a failing model.

Probably would not be Desperate if they actually advertised the auto with a decent marketing plan so people know about the auto.

In fact IDIOT FORD, Needs to reduce the advertisements for their trucks and put some of the bucks into the other product sections.

I have not seen anything on any Ford car, CUV or Lincoln auto around Seattle, but plenty for their truck. Sad

Just now, dfelt said:

Problem is, Ford's ugly ass trucks are what sell in large volume and make the $$$$.....it's what the sheeple want.

3 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I understand that but I am also willing to bet that they could reduce by 10-15% the advertisements for the F150 and still get the same sales while increasing awareness of other products.

I have seen ZERO ads for the Continental or the new Navigator. Very sad for such new auto's.

Just now, dfelt said:

Not sure how effective advertising is anymore, in the era of cord cutters and streaming.

1 minute ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Auto Industry need to embrace the change to ads that are in the screen of the tablet / smartphone user. I agree that it will be harder, so they need to evolve with the changing times.

Of course, with ad blocking software, many people (myself included) don't see most advertising on their mobile devices.  Advertising as a concept is obsolete--regardless of the medium--IMO.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Actually strange to hear this from me the Ford hater in the group but I really like the F series a lot. Ford did an amazingly nice job with both the regular series and the Super duty IMHO.

Plus Ford has a nice selection of specialty versions ranging from Raptor to king Ranch. I will happily give them the trucks.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Even on YouTube I only pulled up one advert for the new Conti.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

It is a self perpetuating cycle...they sell trucks, they justify truck advertisement...which sells more trucks...rinse lather repeat. Plus a lot of truck advertisement is on things like network sports shows which will have a guaranteed male audience ready to buy them.

2 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I'm sure it's a good product, but it's just so overwrought and hideously styled up front, IMO.   The F-series hasn't had a really good looking pickup overall IMO since the 9th generation ('92-97).

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Just now, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I'm sure it's a good product, but it's just so overwrought and hideously styled up front, IMO.   The F-series hasn't had a really good looking pickup front end IMO since the 9th generation ('92-97).

We will simply ahve to disagree on this.  Although I do also like the 9th gen F series.  My brother in law owns one, lifted with a 460, clean California truck.  Hell, I would rock that thing!

2 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I can't imagine what you think of the new Silverado if you think the F150 is overwrought.

It's even more overwrought...  the only new pickup design I like is the Ram, but only certain trims.

The Ram is definitely the cleanest looking of the three. I also agree that it only looks "right" in certain trims.

The trim levels I like are the Laramie, Laramie Longhorn, and Big Horn.  I like the Limited interior, but the grille is too busy IMO.  I don't like the Rebel front end.

if they got rid of the rental stripper model and kept it to just reserve and higher I wouldn't complain.

But that's why the car isn't amazing outright. i knew that, and I still love the styling. But there's too much lost from the concept to get a $50,000 car, where if Lincoln was actually after prestige, they'd realize that hypocrisy doesn't run in their favor.

Mercedes can whore out S-Classes in Germany in livery fleets all they want, because America doesn't care about that.

That's why brining back a model from the dead requires an actual decent plan to capture buyers.

The closest thing to that is perhaps how the Zeta Camaro was so popular because it tied into the Transformer Films. Whoever got that deal is a legend in GM right now.

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

There are also about a bazillion more people with pleasant memories of Camaros than Continentals.  But also agree on the transformer thing.

True..the '61-69 'suicide door' Continentals are from before my time, though I have seen them at car shows and in movies.  As far as Lincolns, I have good memories of the ones my Dad drove from the mid 70s through the 90s...Continentals and Town Cars.   I wouldn't mind having a modern Continental at some point in the future..I do like largish luxury cruisers--enjoyed the DTS and Merc S-class my sister and I had.

I will not begin to make predictions on the Continental.

What I do know is that I did spend some time in one this past week (although I didn't get to drive, I rode as a passenger for a couple of miles on a test drive).  After last week, I decided I needed to go back to the dealership I used to work at (Coccia Ford/Lincoln), and see it first hand..... Finally.

It is a really good luxury sedan.... really good.

They are not moving off the lot very fast, but they are selling at that dealership at mostly the highest profitable trim levels (more Black Label than they anticipated).

I don't know if suicide doors some will move more of the lots, but it is an intriguing idea.

Edited by lengnert

On 3/26/2018 at 11:32 AM, FAPTurbo said:

HET GUYS KNOW HOW TESLA MADE COOL DOORS WE CAN TOO PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO US

I bet Ford could actually make them able to close and align properly.

6eM8LHe.png

The trim piece on the front part of that door looks lovely also.

On 3/26/2018 at 1:36 PM, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Advertising as a concept is obsolete--regardless of the medium--IMO.

Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 5.28.31 PM.png

3 hours ago, FAPTurbo said:

...what's with the tail lights?

45 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Maybe a color keyed lens option?

Maybe pre-production model and maybe that is why trim is missing and door misaligned and tail-lights not finished?

Maybe its a legit production model, but the owner of this particular Model X is a aloof about his possessions and dont really treat his car right and tail-light is busted due to the fact he backed-up into something and is taped up and the trim that is missing...maybe its a wintery area that he lives in and when his window was frozen shut with freezing rain, he hammered the phoque out of the ice to de-ice his electric CUV and in turn, phoqued up his trim?  About the door being misaligned? Maybe his children hang on to that door when it opens and closes like its a roller coaster ride at an amusement park?

I know one thing...my wife's 2013 Ford Fusion exterior trim has fallen out, FoMoCo has fixed the problem and replaced. Long story and huge job but FoMoCo did have an issue with the first Fusions with the chrome trim along the doors...

Edited by oldshurst442

The picture may be bogus, notice how jagged the seam between the doors is right above the handles.

Here is a clear photo of a Model X, don't see any of the trim anomalies.   Anyway, the Falcon doors on the Model X seem pointlessly complex; 'suicide' doors are less complex, but still pointless, IMO.

IMG_-axagf-e1502720913887-860x482.jpg

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

10 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Here is a clear photo of a Model X, don't see any of the trim anomalies.

IMG_-axagf-e1502720913887-860x482.jpg

This is where I was getting at, without actually saying it.

And...as 1st hand experience with a FoMoCo product, I found it ironic that we are laughing at Tesla....with a possible photoshopped pic, maybe not, but I having a 1st hand experience anecdote, we are using a FoMoCo automobile to use as an example of fine workmanship...

Not that FoMoCo is shyte, but with this generation Fusion...

YIKES!

Now...

I recommend the Fusion for ANYBODY to buy. Id even trade-in my Acura TL for a Fusion Sport,  but laughing at Tesla using FoMoCo as an example of how to do...I dont think so, Tim!

Edited by oldshurst442

5 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

How much does a Fusion sell for

How much does a Model X sell for

Case closed

Quality control is a thing...for ALL companies...regardless of price.

And...FoMoCo has been manufacturing cars, like, 4 Ev-R...

No excuse for FoMoCo...

Tesla...considering is still new at this, are doing not so bad...(but haterz gonna hate anyway...)

Ferrari and Lamborghini in the 1990s were WORSE than Tesla...

That would be both Italian companies in the car making business longer than Tesla is now as compared to those Italians in the 1990s.

And...the Japanese fanboyz would be laughing at ANY American car company in the 1990s due to workmanship...

So...

Point being, dont be laughing at Tesla when others do the same shyte...

Tesla's shyte stinks.

But so does the other's shyte!

About Lincoln...

The Continental does not sell to what FoMoCo was expecting it to sell...

Maybe the production Continental should have kept the tightness of the concept...

The irony...

The Continental is on the Fusion platform...

The Fusion DID have trim problems...

Edited by oldshurst442

Panel gaps and door alignment have been an issue for telsa for a while. I can spot them when I'm sitting in traffic.

I know a pickup is a different animal, but Ford has been offering suicide doors on the Supercab pickups for decades.

What the hell, besides a negative bias against Ford, would make anyone think they can't do it right on a luxury sedan?

It isn't like it makes it a guarantee that Lincoln might not be able to do it, but good gracious the evidence is in their favor.

Edited by lengnert

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Sure...

But my partner's Model S is FLAWLESS...

It happens.

I could see various panel gaps on Fusions too.

Some are tighter than others. My wife's Fusion. Not so tight.

OK. Price does come into effect. My wife's Fusion was 26 000 CDN. The Model X is what? 85 000-95 000 CDN?

Quality control is NOT up to par on both...

THAT is all Im sayin'.

If you were placing bets on who is more likely to get it right, would you bet on the 100+ year old company who has built suicide doors before or would you bet on the 15 year old company which still is using humans to manually drive the robots on their production line because they can't get them programmed correctly?

THAT is all I'm sayin..

THAT is all I'm sayin..

But that speaks volumes, Drew.

12 minutes ago, lengnert said:

They COULD do it properly!

Question is...are they GONNA?

The Continentla did not keep the showcar quality dazzling details.

There are a plenty.

The stance.  Longer wheelbase. I think the Edge is on the same platform, right? And I think the Edge might have a longer wheelbase, right? So what gives?

The pristine and tight tolerances and the luxury car details. Concept down below.  Look at the hood. THAT hood and front area SCREAMS luxury. Tight tolerance. The hood closure is sealed shut and is one with the whole top front end. The bottom chrome trim. The back wheel arches have a certain presence with that bulge.  Muscular.

Just impeccable luxurious details.

Related image

What we got.

Image result for lincoln continental

And front end hood and area that is the same as in a Ford Fusion.

Image result for 2013 ford fusion se

No cleaned up chrome trim on the bottom. (That chrome trim was a helluva nice touch in my opinion.) No bulge at the rear wheel wells.

The actual production car just seems like a very ordinary ride. The production car we got should have been the MKZ...

Image result for Lincoln MKZ

Which low and behold...is what the MKZ actually is...(at least in the Continental and on the Fusion the hood area is more smoother...)

Had the Continental we got be exactly like the concept, Lincoln would have had a hit on their hands...instead, it was just a more expensive MKZ (for nothing) which in turn is a more expensive Ford Fusion...

Not good! (For the Continental and the Continental name plate...)

So...on this platform,

Do you really think suicide doors will actually improve the image of the Lincoln brand and the Continental name?

THAT is all I'm sayin..

If I was a bettin' man?

What if I told you I wasnt gonna bet on FoMoCo either?

I know that I said FoMoCo was NOT shyte...

But they dropped the ball on the Fusion quality, they dropped the ball on the Continental.

Trucks. Yeah. They sell a ton of those. Always have.  The Navigator does NOT disappoint!

The Continental however, does!

The Navigator is all about the little details.

The Continental, not so much!

Edited by oldshurst442

12 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

They COULD do it properly!

Question is...are they GONNA?

The Continentla did not keep the showcar quality dazzling details.

There are a plenty.

Just impeccable luxurious details.

Related image

What we got.

Image result for lincoln continental

And front end hood and area that is the same as in a Ford Fusion.

Image result for 2013 ford fusion se

Image result for Lincoln MKZ

Not good! (For the Continental and the Continental name plate...)

So...on this platform,

If I was a bettin' man?

What if I told you I wasnt gonna bet on FoMoCo either?

I know that I said FoMoCo was NOT shyte...

The Continental however, does!

The Navigator is all about the little details.

The Continental, not so much!

To be sure, it would have been even more outstanding if Lincoln would have kept some of the elements you suggested.

However, I was not disappointed in the least with my actual (if admittedly brief) direct experience with the car itself.

I honestly wish I was in the financial position right now (like I was years ago when I owned a late 80's Signature Series Continental) because it would only be a quick decision between the Lincoln and the Volvo (which would probably fall to the Lincoln because of my personal history).  And if they continue to improve the car (and I get my poop together) it will be in my driveway in the next couple of years.

And I get that the Fusion is not without some quality issues. But they continue to improve that, and hopefully the new platform they are moving to will be even better for all the models they build off of it.

I miss very much my first generation Milan. That was a great looking and completely reliable car. ('05 Premier)

30 minutes ago, lengnert said:

I sooooooo wanted to love the Continental.

Correction.  I love the concept!  I would have found a way to trade-in the Acura for a Continental had it been like the concept.

Now...well, Im keeping my Acura as I love that car to death, but, BELIEVE me when I say that the Fusion Sport COULD BE a replacement vehicle for me had I was trading in my Acura tomorrow. (That or the new Buick Regal GS. In my opinion, the Regal GS is the TRUE successor to the Acura TL SH-AWD, NOT the TLX that Acura is peddling now)

Why do I view the Fusion Sport MORE than a Continental?

I dont think the extra $$$ is worth it to buy the Lincoln. Either in MKZ form or in Continental form.

Yes. Yes. The Continental blows the Fusion away in luxury, details and the like. I just dont deem the Continental worth that extra dough. If I spending that kind of $$$ on a sedan. Im skipping the Continental. Im going elsewhere. Cadillac, Buick, BMW, Mercedes, Audi...

If I wanna stay with FoMoCo, and yes I dont have ANY dislike for FoMoCo, Im keeping the extra cash in price difference between a Fusion Sport and the Continental and maybe I go to Vegas and blow the difference there. Bet it all on black or something...

Yes. the 1st generation Fusion and Milan were nice lookin' vehicles too. Aged quite well. There is a regular customer that comes to my restaurant who has a Fusion sport. Black. Good lookin' ride.  260 HP and 250 ft./lbs torque 3.5 liter V6.  Naturally aspirated! I LOVE THAT!   My Acura has got a 3.7liter V6 with 300 or so naturally aspirated horses and  270 ft./lbs...

I love me some naturally aspirated V6s. Turbos and superchargers are cool and all. I prefer naturally aspirated.

Looks something like this

Related image

Great looks!

The 2nd generation DOES have some issues. The GREAT thing is FoMoCo is ANSWERING and REPAIRING all problems.  So...my wife's Fusion is basically FLAWLESS. No problems with it. The recalls get sent. The dealership repairs. There hasnt been ANY issues before the recall repairs. So we are all good!

I applaud FoMoCo for stepping up to the plate. Its just that its costing them money!

Edited by oldshurst442

People aboard the International space station also discuss them...what is your point?

THAT is all I'm sayin..

In all reality the Lincoln probably is bolted together to stay together longer than a lot of European and Asian cars. Still something about Ford reliability I don't like, but were I to own  a luxury car out of warranty...it would probably be Lincoln or Cadillac.

17 hours ago, lengnert said:

They did it with 1950's/1960's era technology, and 50 plus years later a bunch of those cars are still on the road with doors that work fine. I remember finding suicide door Lincolns in Junkyards in the 1980's that had been in horrific accidents...doors still operated perfectly.

Edited by A Horse With No Name

6 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

See, this is why you are da' man!

I know you don't have a personal affinity for Ford and Lincoln, but you are certainly the most even minded when it comes to talking about a brand that you don't favor.

Kudos, AHWNN.

Edited by lengnert

30 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

It would definitely be a Lincoln or Cadillac followed by the Asian brands. German engineers just to everything so different it is more difficult to do regular/simple stuff on our own.

European cars have a certain charm, but I plan on owning only a few. A high maintenance vehicle is like a high maintenance woman...best done sparingly, with specific goals in mine.

In other words if it flies, floats or F@#$& you are better off renting it. The same thing can be said of European automobiles.

A used German car out of warranty is a gateway to madness and bankruptcy.  My sister learned her lesson with not one but two used Mercedes, and I had enough direct/indirect dealings with those money pits never to consider one again.   Now an older Lincoln I wouldn't mind as a weekend toy.   But for a daily driver, only something modern and under warranty.

3 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

An older Lincoln will just be a Ford with nicer leather and a fancy grille.  If the interiors of the Town Car weren't so painfully "geriatric taxi cab", I'd totally own one.

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Yes, mechanically simple for the most part.   I like the blocky 80s Town Cars, 90-97 ones (there was one trim w/ white leather and blue that I like in particular), the final generation 03+, and the 60s-70s biggies...

...yeah...and again not a Ford guy but I am sitting here in Columbus lusting after the Mercury Marauder.  Even a guy like me has to admit a few of the vehicles of that era from Ford have some real charm and appeal.

17 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

For the Seventies, the pre 1977 down sized Thunderbird would just  be the cats a$$.  Those cars just had a long hood/shorter deck disco era look to die for.

I'd like any in the '87 - '97 range.

I have thought of buying one for my 17 year old daughter learning to drive. Safe, reliable, inexpensive, not bad looking. Seen several on the market here locally for relatively short cash.

• By Drew Dowdell

330,075

284,859

15.9

1,243,136

1,139,079

9.1

Total vehicles                                             601,862       609,693          -1.3             2,422,698      2,497,318          -3.0

FORD BRAND

28,307

17.8

112,204

103,587

8.3

• By Drew Dowdell
      The first product to come from Ford's investment into startup automaker Rivian will likely be a Lincoln SUV due to arrive sometime in 2022.  The vehicle will be all-wheel drive and compete against Rivian's own R1S which is priced at $72,500.  The models will share Rivian's skateboard platform, a design that combines the motors, batteries, controls and suspension into a single unit that the body can be built around.
      The Rivian R1S is a three-row EV crossover with a range of up to 410 miles and will be built in Normal Illinois at a former Mitsubishi plant. It is expected to go into production sometime in 2021.
      There will also be a compact Lincoln EV crossover coming for 2021 that could be built on the same platform that the Ford Mustang Mach-E rides on.
      EV sales have been tepid so far in the US, but Lincoln is banking on the EVs to be bigger sellers in the Chinese market.

• By Drew Dowdell
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Los Angeles - At the Los Angeles Auto Show, Lincoln introduced the Lincoln Corsair Grand Touring, a plug-in hybrid trim.  Based on the standard Corsair, the Grand Touring's powertrain consists of a 2.5-liter Atkinson-cycle four-cylinder gas engine and a permanent magnet synchronous motor.  The combined output based on Lincoln's calculations would be roughly 266 horsepower.  Electric All-wheel drive powers the rear wheels.  EV range is targeted at 25 miles EPA.
      Power is conveyed through a PowerSplit electric continuously variable transmission with two electric motors working together to provide very smooth acceleration.
      In addition to the five modes normally available to Corsair drivers, two additional modes are available on the Grand Touring;  Preserve EV mode recharges and saves battery power for later, the engine and motor work continuously to deliver full power.  The battery can be recharged up to 75 percent while in this mode. Pure EV mode is designed to keep the vehicle in all-electric mode as much as possible, only using the gasoline engine when the power demands exceed the electrical capabilities of the vehicle.
      The Lincoln Corsair Grand Touring will be built in Louisville Kentucky and will go on sale summer of 2020.

• By Drew Dowdell