What is your next car purchase?

intrigued

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With my impending move to the St John's area of Newfoundland, and planned purchase of a house on a few acres, I suspect my next vehicle purchase will be a used Chevy or GMC 4x4 ... although the replacement of my wife's ancient Dodge Caravan is also very high on the list of priorities.

With my impending move to the St John's area of Newfoundland, and planned purchase of a house on a few acres, I suspect my next vehicle purchase will be a used Chevy or GMC 4x4 ... although the replacement of my wife's ancient Dodge Caravan is also very high on the list of priorities.

204634[/snapback]

Does it take a long time to get used to driving on the right (or correct :AH-HA_wink:) side of the street? Just thinking about going to Australia and renting a car makes my palms sweat...

BTW...I like your Avatar...pretty funny.

Buick Reatta

Oldsmobile Intrique

204490[/snapback]

Reatta: I almost forgot about those :lol: They are likable, I just don't know how they hold (held) up. They look great in Maui Blue.

Intrigue: *put tongue back in mouth* - I see a couple of them just about every day...when outfitted in a slick metallic color with some nice alloys and looking all clean from the car wash, this is automotive nirvanah...for me, at least.

204634[/snapback]

Wow... My mom's from Sydney, and she had a bit of a time adjusting to our climate... and we live in Vancouver... Newfoundland will be a little cooler yet.

James, welcome to the New World! And, good choice of vehicles. I'd love to be able to afford a little house on a couple of acres in the ####ry. But then I'd need a John Deere and a Bush Hog. Sounds like fun. Edited by ocnblu

Does it take a long time to get used to driving on the right (or correct  :AH-HA_wink:) side of the street?  Just thinking about going to Australia and renting a car makes my palms sweat...

I've been doing it for 29 years ... and at times, it still gives me sweaty palms. It gets easier the longer you do it, but the first couple of times I was truly terrified. I've reached the point where I can get off an aircraft in LAX or SFO, and face peak hour traffic.

On this trip, except for 2 weeks in the middle when I was on my honeymoon in Ireland, I spent almost 4 months in the US or Canada, and in that time, I drove over 16,000km, topped off by a near 6,000km trip from Northern Manitoba to Newfoundland driving a loaded U-Haul van pulling a Dodge Caravan on a car trailer.

BTW...I like your Avatar...pretty funny.

It appeals to my sense of the absurd.

Wow... My mom's from Sydney, and she had a bit of a time adjusting to our climate... and we live in Vancouver... Newfoundland will be a little cooler yet.

204697[/snapback]

Australia to Newfoundland.........Wow, a bit of acclamation to do there.

204772[/snapback]

Newfoundland will be a lot better than Northern Manitoba (55 degrees north) where it looked like I might be living. The locals up there routinely talk about -40 degree days. My step-daughter calls it "scary cold". ALL the cars there have block heaters, and practically every parking space has a power outlet for the block and/or interior heaters. Newfoundland will have more snow, and it'll be damper, but it won't get as cold.

James, welcome to the New World!  And, good choice of vehicles.  I'd love to be able to afford a little house on a couple of acres in the ####ry.  But then I'd need a John Deere and a Bush Hog.  Sounds like fun.

204727[/snapback]

Although I have to sell my house in Australia first (I'm currently back here to prepare it for sale), I've been looking at houses in the St John's area, and a 4 bedroom farm house with an ocean view on a few acres with a barn and a few other out buildings is in the low CAD$200k price range.

My wife and I feel that we'll need a full size pickup to cart around stuff for the renovations we assume we'll be doing on whatever house we buy, and as we plan to get a few acres, it'll need to be a 4x4 (most likely with a snow plow attachment) to deal with a long driveway on snowy days.

At the moment, the place my wife is renting has a few cows grazing and in the barn, and as part of the deal with the land owner, the cow's owner keeps the driveway clear.

I think I saw my future car!

How i love thee Caddy DTS!!!!!

But is it FWD or RWD?????? really didnt pay attention to it untill i saw one in black witha mesh grille!

204564[/snapback]

If you think that's hot-you should see the custom one in my dad's plant.

It's pretty sweet. :ohyeah:

There is a guy there who has a custom 06 DTS...looks gangster...but still quite

cool too...

what kind of issues?

205235[/snapback]

Since yes there is one in my dirveway I call it the Toyontiac. And I beat it to $h! my better half loves it tho.

Its been to the dealer 37 times now to get stupid stuff fixed. Been through 3 radios. the passenger door trim always falls off. the 12 DC thing in the dash pulls out of the dash. the transmisson has horrible jutters. Very wierd power band. Always shifts into overdrive. Interior holds dirt (hard to clean). Some crazy emmissions faliures causes engine to cut out untill you reset the battery. Dealer still has no clue why that happens. A/C is not cold. Check engine light comes on after the gas needle falls below the 1/2 way mark and brings up 6 different codes. Some times the Key wont respond so you have to move the key around in the igniton to get it to start. Extremely low steering wheel. the left side is pretty much a blind spot. the list goes on. A man can not look straight and drive it.

And all this happend before i started to secretly destroy it.

But the good things are

Handleing.

braking.

Our Suburban just sold today, SO we are now in the market.

Our big debate; Wait for an Acadia and drive a $1000 beater for now, or buy a slightly used Trailblazer EXT or Suburban. As much as I have the itch to purchase something now, we are best off waiting for the Acadia to hit the dealerships.

Since yes there is one in my dirveway I call it the Toyontiac. And I beat it to $h! my better half loves it tho.

Its been to the dealer 37 times now to get stupid stuff fixed. Been through 3 radios. the passenger door trim always falls off. the 12 DC thing in the dash pulls out of the dash. the transmisson has horrible jutters. Very wierd power band. Always shifts into overdrive. Interior holds dirt (hard to clean). Some crazy emmissions faliures causes engine to cut out untill you reset the battery. Dealer still has no clue why that happens. A/C is not cold. Check engine light comes on after the gas needle falls below the 1/2 way mark and brings up 6 different codes. Some times the Key wont respond so you have to move the key around in the igniton to get it to start. Extremely low steering wheel. the left side is pretty much a blind spot. the list goes on. A man can not look straight and drive it.

But the good things are

Handleing.

braking.

205266[/snapback]

Nothing like that toyota quality!

Our Suburban just sold today, SO we are now in the market. 

Our big debate;  Wait for an Acadia and drive a $1000 beater for now, or buy a slightly used Trailblazer EXT or Suburban.  As much as I have the itch to purchase something now, we are best off waiting for the Acadia to hit the dealerships.

205273[/snapback]

Wait for the Acadia... good things come to those who wait.

My next car purchase will depend on how much I keep saving up from work and how much I want a vehicle.

I've got enough cash to buy some vehicles, but I'll wait until love at first sight.

It'll likely be RWD and have a V8, perhaps a 4th Gen Camaro...

But I wouldn't mind a Grand Prix with a powerful engine either ^_^

But the good things are

Handleing.

braking.

205266[/snapback]

Wow. :blink:

I've heard about the trans thing-and the key issue. Hard to clean? That sucks, since I try to clean often.....

She likes it- but I hate the serious lack of power. My 13 YEAR OLD wagon with well

over 100K has much more power than this thing.

THough I do like the look-and it has a real useable interior...

Good luck on killing it though. I know a high schooler trying to do the same thing.

with almost 100,000 miles on it-this kid drives it like he stole it. every day. :rolleyes:

It's still going strong...

I may need to take back what I said earlier. Circumstances may dictate a larger SUV and sooner. I've started looking at GMT-700 and GMT-800 Tahoes and Denalis, with a few Escalades mixed in, just in case I want to let my inner pimp out. Dogs, kid, friends, family, random crap to carry around, difficult to pass roads, etc are all things that make a 14mpg Tahoe more practical than a 28mpg Fusion.

I may need to take back what I said earlier.  Circumstances may dictate a larger SUV and sooner.  I've started looking at GMT-700 and GMT-800 Tahoes and Denalis, with a few Escalades mixed in, just in case I want to let my inner pimp out.  Dogs, kid, friends, family, random crap to carry around, difficult to pass roads, etc are all things that make a 14mpg Tahoe more practical than a 28mpg Fusion.

205347[/snapback]

GMT-700? I think you mean GMT-400.

Hey, I have a wagon!

What's wrong with wagons? :(

205323[/snapback]

everything... they are nothing more than the more brick-like even more awful looking bigger siblings of hatchbacks... and we all know that hatchbacks are in fact the work of satan himself...

no vehicle with less than 6 inches of ground clearance should ever lack a decklid... crossovers were invented for a reason... smaller, more fuel-efficient SUVs that have a legitimate reason to have a d pillar...

i vote... that all hatchback production stops immediately... and all remaining running hatchbacks... especially those riced out and made "faster" with the addition of fun things like 40 pound wings and 20 pound body kits... be donated to the monster truck people... so they will have an large supply of hideous... pointless car to crush

i also vote... that the terms "hot hatch" and "sport wagon" be included in the always growing list of oxymorons... as nothing that short and fat can be sporty... when was the last time you looked at a man like chris farley and said "damn... i bet he can move pretty fast" ?

everything... they are nothing more than the more brick-like even more awful looking bigger siblings of hatchbacks... and we all know that hatchbacks are in fact the work of satan himself...

no vehicle with less than 6 inches of ground clearance should ever lack a decklid... crossovers were invented for a reason... smaller, more fuel-efficient SUVs that have a legitimate reason to have a d pillar...

i vote... that all hatchback production stops immediately... and all remaining running hatchbacks... especially those riced out and made "faster" with the addition of fun things like 40 pound wings and 20 pound body kits... be donated to the monster truck people... so they will have an large supply of hideous... pointless car to crush

i also vote... that the terms "hot hatch" and "sport wagon" be included in the always growing list of oxymorons... as nothing that short and fat can be sporty... when was the last time you looked at a man like chris farley and said "damn... i bet he can move pretty fast" ?

205716[/snapback]

Wow... you have extremely bad taste. Hatchbacks are hot. Your MC is not. :D

Our next car has to be family friendly for our baby boy, coming 3/07!

My BF refuses anything too "soccer dad" so no station wagons, not even a Magnum or Volvo!

Our picks so far (we really want an SUV type vehicle, babies have lots of gear!)

BMX x3/x5

Acura RDX/MDX

Nissan Murano

GMC Yukon Denali

Jeep Commander/Dodge Nitro

It's a weird list.....I like some of the choices, he prefers others but at least we have time to choose and decide, we're not in a huge rush right now.

My BF refuses anything too "soccer dad" so no station wagons, not even a Magnum or Volvo!

Our picks so far (we really want an SUV type vehicle, babies have lots of gear!)

BMX x3/x5

Acura RDX/MDX

Nissan Murano

GMC Yukon Denali

It's a weird list.....I like some of the choices, he prefers others but at least we have time to choose and decide, we're not in a huge rush right now.

205803[/snapback]

Why not an Acadia or Outlook?

BMX x3/x5

Acura RDX/MDX

Nissan Murano

GMC Yukon Denali

205803[/snapback]

why not an AWD Magnum?

why not an AWD Magnum?

205810[/snapback]

He doesn't want anything that resembles a station wagon! I told him a Magnum is not your mom's old station wagon kind of vehicle but he is adamant on an SUV, doesn't even want a 4 door!

He prefers "more manly" looking SUVs which is one reason the Denali is on the list. I like the Commander also.

205716[/snapback]

I vote that all Monte Carlos 2000-present be added to the monster truck range, as well as to any organization that deals with blowing stuff up.

Wow... you have extremely bad taste. Hatchbacks are hot. Your MC is not. :D

205734[/snapback]

I agree.

And while I know you don't like them, but IMO Magnums, especially in SRT-8 form, are hot as hell.

I vote that all Monte Carlos 2000-present be added to the monster truck range, as well as to any organization that deals with blowing stuff up.

I agree.

And while I know you don't like them, but IMO Magnums, especially in SRT-8 form, are hot as hell.

205956[/snapback]

This is how poorly you know me. The Magnum has always been the only LX car I liked. The Charger's styling has grown on me, but isn't my style, regardless. I'm just not afraid to list their faults. Including a cheap interior. :P

Wow, a Denali seems a little big and expensive for 1 kid. We are looking at adding 2 more (adoption), getting us to 4 kids that has us trying to get a Yukon XL. Otherwise we would stick with the smaller more efficient vehicles like our HHR, or a Rainer / Bravada.

It's not even the gas mileage, as some of the new Suburbans get the same as the Trailblazer, it's the parking, maneuvering, etc.

This is how poorly you know me. The Magnum has always been the only LX car I liked. The Charger's styling has grown on me, but isn't my style, regardless. I'm just not afraid to list their faults. Including a cheap interior. :P

206108[/snapback]

If I were to get a Magnum R/T...i could live with the interior...

I've never cared for the interior design of the Charger and Magnum...the 300 has a nicer one...the guage cluster's design makes all he difference for me.

Edited by Dodgefan

Impossible to say.

But rest assured it will be RWD, V8 and domestic.

205201[/snapback]

Great answer. :D

Here's a short list of possible purchases in my semi-near future.

1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Posted Image

1959 Buick

Posted Image

Random Cheap but Roadworthy 1930s car (i.e. 1935 Chevrolet)

Posted Image

Semi-low milage ex-cop car 2000-ish Crown Victoria

Posted Image

1987 or older Chevrolet/GMC pickup... strongly prefer 4-speed manual

Posted Image

...& in about 20 years:

1930s Cadillac V16 dual cowl phaeton :wub:

Posted Image

Edited by Sixty8panther