Jeep Compass pics from Family Car

mustang84

Gaah! That awful steering wheel material and texture! I had an '05 Plymouth Fury rental with that stuff. I'll admit that I might be a bit spoiled with a leather and wood steering wheel in the CTS, but that rental's texture was so unpleasant to touch. I drove with my hands on the spokes just to avoid the wheel.

The posters over at The Truth About Cars would say that manual locks and windows are a good thing...http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=2375

207584[/snapback]

because why?... so everyone opts for the electric option that's $x00?

looks like if the jeeps rear seats fold down you couldn't roll down the rear windows w/o opening the door...like my boss's ~mid 90's cherokee.

all though... the rear looks like it would have adaquate room for adults in those seats...

Interesting placement of the stick shifter.

And Mustang84, there are some interior bits that wouldn't have been done in the 80s:

- Odometer would be analog spinny device

- HVAC would be a set of sliding controls instead of knobs.

- There would be no cupholders

As a side note, why did it take car manufacturers 80 years to realize that drivers might want to have a place to put their drink?

Well, that is just unfortunate. It's ugly from every angle, every color, and in every photo (professional & real life).

The interior is a joke. You really think that Mercedes-Benz would've given it's American brands some pointers.

Not only is this ugly, but it's useless. Why would anyone buy a Jeep that is basically a rebadge of the more attractive, and cheaper Dodge Caliber and can't go off-roading in it and then have another Jeep based off the same platform, that is a little bit bigger, is more attractive, priced similarly, and can actually go off road? We thought Ford and GM had problems. DCX is screwed if it keeps making decisions like this.

Interesting placement of the stick shifter.

And Mustang84, there are some interior bits that wouldn't have been done in the 80s:

- Odometer would be analog spinny device

- HVAC would be a set of sliding controls instead of knobs.

- There would be no cupholders

As a side note, why did it take car manufacturers 80 years to realize that drivers might want to have a place to put their drink?

207811[/snapback]

I was meaning more about the shape of the dash. When I saw it, the fox-body Mustang first came to mind.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's not too similar, but they both have the little square housing above the speedo, the "shelf" on the passenger side, and 80s Mustangs actually did have HVAC rotating knobs. Either way, the Compass has a god awful ugly looking dashboard.

Those are the most unfriendly crank windows I've ever seen. Jesus. And at the price they're charging...unacceptable.

207660[/snapback]

This is the base model "4x4" version, which MSRP's for $17,175. I don't think there are any other AWD or lockable AWD/"4x4" vehicles that can be had for $17K or under.

Argue all you want about how ugly you think it is, but I know people that think it looks good, and are willing to purchase one to be different. Jeep will be catering to people that like the features but think this vehicle is ugly, with the Patriot.

i drove a compass at the full throttle event recently.

wow the interiors are dismal in these things and they ain't the greatest drives either.

the interiors remind me a bit of my wife's old OMNI. blocky, horrific plastic, just BAD.

please do not compare my Aztek to this dung. My Aztek is FAR NICER, exterior styling aside.

i drove a compass at the full throttle event recently.

wow the interiors are dismal in these things and they ain't the greatest drives either.

the interiors remind me a bit of my wife's old OMNI.  blocky, horrific plastic, just BAD.

please do not compare my Aztek to this dung.  My Aztek is FAR NICER, exterior styling aside.

208054[/snapback]

But that exterior...even the COmpass ain't that bad :P

This is the base model "4x4" version, which MSRP's for $17,175.  I don't think there are any other AWD or lockable AWD/"4x4" vehicles that can be had for $17K or under.

208049[/snapback]

But this thing is clearly designed for the urban/city market, so why the huge emphasis on this pseudo-Jeep 4x4 deal? And the crank windows are still unacceptable for $17k+

But this thing is clearly designed for the urban/city market, so why the huge emphasis on this pseudo-Jeep 4x4 deal? And the crank windows are still unacceptable for $17k+

208195[/snapback]

OK....I'll agree when you show me another 4x4 of a similar size that can be purchased for $17K with power locks and windows.

If you don't want the 4x4, then the price drops to $15K for the 4x2. How many other 4x2 CUV's can you buy for $15K?

OK....I'll agree when you show me another 4x4 of a similar size that can be purchased for $17K with power locks and windows.

If you don't want the 4x4, then the price drops to $15K for the 4x2.  How many other 4x2  CUV's can you buy for $15K?

208219[/snapback]

Chevy HHR LS for $15,880* Dual-power Mirrors

* Cruise control

* Remote Keyless Entry

* Power locks

* Power Windows (Driver Express-Down)

* Six-speaker stereo

* A/C with cabin filtration

Compass Sport 'D' 4x2 for $15,985* Manual Mirrors

* No cruise control

* No keyeless entry

* Manual locks

* Manual windows

* Four-speaker stereo

* No A/C

The Sport 'E' package gives you most of those options for $18,595, very close to the high-trim HHR 2LT. The Kia Sportage and Hyundai whatever also start close to or at $15.5-16k.

As far as the 4WD argument, again, the Compass is not an offroad vehicle, so who cares about 4x4 for this price?

Chevy HHR LS for $15,880* Dual-power Mirrors

* Cruise control

* Remote Keyless Entry

* Power locks

* Power Windows (Driver Express-Down)

* Six-speaker stereo

* A/C with cabin filtration

Compass Sport 'D' 4x2 for $15,985* Manual Mirrors

* No cruise control

* No keyeless entry

* Manual locks

* Manual windows

* Four-speaker stereo

* No A/C

The Sport 'E' package gives you most of those options for $18,595, very close to the high-trim HHR 2LT. The Kia Sportage and Hyundai whatever also start close to or at $15.5-16k.

As far as the 4WD argument, again, the Compass is not an offroad vehicle, so who cares about 4x4 for this price?

208227[/snapback]

Add the power group to the Compass, and you get power everything and A/C, and you are up to $17,830 on the Jeep website.

Add ABS (standard on the Compass, as is ESP), and side curtain airbags (again, standard on the Compass), and you are up to $17,265 for an HHR.....which is not available in a 4x4 configuration.

Not so different now....and you even compared a wagon to a crossover or cute ute.

Suzuki SX4 is AWD and can be locked in 4X4, it is also cheaper and better looking than the putrid Compass.  Plus it comes with power windows.

208304[/snapback]

I figured Suzuki would have some cheap little AWD $h!box....but I didn't feel like checking. :lol:

The Suzuki is classified by the EPA as a "Small Wagon", while the Compass is classified as a "Four Wheel Drive SUV".

What gets me about the Compass and Caliber is the "zero-effort design" center stack. Its a box with cut outs for the radio and hvac.

That, and the plastic everything interiors. :banghead:

Compass

Posted Image

Caliber

Posted Image

See the difference a little creative design makes.....

HHR

Posted Image

Suzuki SX4

Posted Image

I wouldn't say that the HHR and SX4 interiors are creative but they are certainly more inviting then the cold, staid look of the DCX siblings. People spend most of the time during thier day in their cars and I don't know who would like to look at squared-off shiney plastic.

Guest YellowJacket894

Brew, I think you really need to see the Compass for what it is: a compact car in Jeep clothing.

If Jeep needs something to woo the compact-crossover crowd with, keep the Patriot. At least it tries to be something more than a Caliber in Jeep drag.

I had an '05 Plymouth Fury rental with that stuff.

Since when did DCX start making '05 versions of Christine? :unsure:

I had an '05 Plymouth Fury rental with that stuff.

Since when did DCX start making '05 versions of Christine? :unsure:

208833[/snapback]

Most people don't consider a 190hp wheel-covered hood-propped 4-speakered entry level decontented rental special deserving of the hallowed 300 nameplate.

I prefer 'Newport' myself.

Suzuki SX4 is AWD and can be locked in 4X4, it is also cheaper and better looking than the putrid Compass.  Plus it comes with power windows.

208304[/snapback]

:withstupid:

I figured Suzuki would have some cheap little AWD $h!box....but I didn't feel like checking.  :lol:

The Suzuki is classified by the EPA as a "Small Wagon", while the Compass is classified as a "Four Wheel Drive SUV".

208499[/snapback]

Actually the Suzuki seems very nice.

What gets me about the Compass and Caliber is the "zero-effort design" center stack. Its a box with cut outs for the radio and hvac.

Compass

Posted Image

Caliber

Posted Image

HHR

Posted Image

Suzuki SX4

Posted Image

208816[/snapback]

I actually like the design of the Caliber, it's simple but not ugly...it's the materials that kill it. The cutout for the stereo at least has the rounded knobs so it looks somewhat integrated, as opposed to a square...and unlike many of GM's products, the HVAC controls and buttons are fully integrated. As for interior similarities...yes the basic design is similar, but it's got more differenciation than say, the Cobalt and G5...same with the exterior. I do feel the Compass is hideous though, at least the G5 looks nice.

The Suzuki wins hads down for interior design out of all the ones shown, and probably materials too...and features. It's also good looking.

I'd like to try a Caliber R/T FWD with the manual still....

Compass

Posted Image

Caliber

Posted Image

HHR

Posted Image

Suzuki SX4

Posted Image

208816[/snapback]

I don't get the comment on plastic. The interiors are "all plastic" on all of the pictured dashes. The only way not to be "all plastic" is to use metal, wood or cloth/leather.....and none of the pictured dashes incorporates any of those materials (except maybe the Suzuki could have a real metal trim piece, but most likely it's plastic too)......and personally, I could do without wood on any modern vehicle......at least any one under $125,000, or not named Rolls Royce.

All of the comments about the interior not having "any design" because they are angular and boxy.....are just personal opinions. CG interiors being angular and boxy are their current signature design, and are also different from most of what's currently out there. Beside, why would they put a soft, swoopy, bubbly interior in a car with an angular exterior?? :huh:

You Compass haters don't have to take my word for it. The Compass made two top 5 "Most Popular" lists on Yahoo Autos. People are interested in it, even if you're not:

Each week Yahoo! Autos brings you the top 10 most popular cars in each of the different categories. The rankings are determined by the number of visitors that view each new car. Choose a car to see pictures, reviews, features, and more.

Top SUVs

1. 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser

2. 2007 Honda CR-V

3. 2007 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class

4. 2007 Jeep Compass

5. 2006 HUMMER H3 SUV

Top Economy Vehicles

1. 2006 Nissan Sentra

2. 2006 Pontiac Solstice

3. 2007 Scion tC

4. 2007 Jeep Compass

5. 2007 Toyota Camry

I don't get the comment on plastic.  The interiors are "all plastic" on all of the pictured dashes.  The only way not to be "all plastic" is to use metal, wood or cloth/leather.....and none of the pictured dashes incorporates any of those materials (except maybe the Suzuki could have a real metal trim piece, but most likely it's plastic too)......and personally, I could do without wood on any modern vehicle......at least any one under $125,000, or not named Rolls Royce.

All of the comments about the interior not having "any design" because they are angular and boxy.....are just personal opinions.  CG interiors being angular and boxy are their current signature design, and are also different from most of what's currently out there.  Beside, why would they put a soft, swoopy, bubbly interior in a car with an angular exterior??  :huh:

You Compass haters don't have to take my word for it.  The Compass made two top 5 "Most Popular" lists on Yahoo Autos.  People are interested in it, even if you're not:

208850[/snapback]

That ain't right that the Caliber (the better looking one of the two) isn't even on there)

And you can't argue that it should have soft arm rests and steeringw heel. Everything else can be hard plastic fine, that's acceptible in the price range. But not the arm rests...not the places you're gonna touch almost all the time. There is no excuse for that, angular design or not.

You Compass haters don't have to take my word for it.  The Compass made two top 5 "Most Popular" lists on Yahoo Autos.  People are interested in it, even if you're not:

208850[/snapback]

Doesn't mean jack if no one's buying them. And lest we forget, the Compass is in a bit of a sales struggle at the moment.

Doesn't mean jack if no one's buying them. And lest we forget, the Compass is in a bit of a sales struggle at the moment.

208852[/snapback]

Most brand new Chrysler vehicles will be taking off slowly. If you go to a Jeep dealership, you can get a Liberty cheaper than you get a Compass right now. Or you could go to a Dodge dealership and get a Ram, Dakota, or Durango, cheaper with all of the rebates on "gas guzzelers".

I don't get the comment on plastic.  The interiors are "all plastic" on all of the pictured dashes.  The only way not to be "all plastic" is to use metal, wood or cloth/leather.....and none of the pictured dashes incorporates any of those materials (except maybe the Suzuki could have a real metal trim piece, but most likely it's plastic too)......and personally, I could do without wood on any modern vehicle......at least any one under $125,000, or not named Rolls Royce.

All of the comments about the interior not having "any design" because they are angular and boxy.....are just personal opinions.  CG interiors being angular and boxy are their current signature design, and are also different from most of what's currently out there.  Beside, why would they put a soft, swoopy, bubbly interior in a car with an angular exterior??  :huh:

208850[/snapback]

that's on par with my own best 'pro mitsubishi' rants.

bravo.

My 300 Touring is faster than your Fivehundred!    :neenerneener:

:lol:

208939[/snapback]

LMAO......maybe a bit. i just had my ECU reflashed. I can honestly say the 500 gets around quite spritely now. Its cured the engine and throttle and tranny problems. Major difference in engine and transmission behavior. It actually absolutley flies on on ramps now too, since we'll have to call it a draw until we can drag. It would not be a stretch to say I have shortened my 0-60 by a half of a second.

Edited by regfootball