Buick needs more models

buickguy

I can't stand reading about Buick sales being down when writers don't analyze the reasons. Buick has fewer models.

10 years ago Buick had several models. For 2006 they offered only 5: Lucerne, LaCrosse, Rendezvous, Rainier and Terrazza, all with various trims. In 1996 they offered 11 models, with various trims.

This is why sales are down.

I know Buick is now part of the BPG channel, but they could use a few more models.

1. a convertible/coupe, bigger than the Pontiac g-6, more upscale, a real head turner.

2. a smaller SUV to go with the bigger Enclave.

3. a LaCrosse wagon.

1996 Buicks

Park Avenue

LeSabre

Century

Century Wagon

Regal Sedan

2 door Regan

Roadmaster Sedan

Roadmaster Wagon

Skylark

Skylark Coupe

Riviera

I don't think it's just about the variety of models. It's about the design and image direction of the Buick division. They aren't where they should be. The Enclave is a start, but they have a long, long way to go.

Buick has a non-image, not a bad one, there just isn't one. And I'm a huge fan of Buick. The Buick that once was and has to reclaim.

Buick and Pontiac are one division now, and there is no need for a plethora of models that will create more overlap in the showroom. LaCrosse, Lucerne, and Enclave are enough, supplemented with some new small RWD Pontiacs and GMC trucks.

Here's how I understand it:

Buick-Pontiac-GMC is one sales channel -

Pontiac & GMC are one division.

Buick is its own division.

Steve Shannon is Buick's General Manager.

John Larson is Pontiac-GMC's General Manager.

Now the truth of it all is... John Larson is also the BPG-Channel General Manager.

So, in reality... the individual P-G & B divisions appear to be just a formality. Maybe this was done to preserve Buick as an independent division until they found out if the channel consolidation was successful. If it failed, Buick could be separated with a management structure intact.

I think there's room for a smaller luxury-geared CUV & a coupe/convertible flagship. The number of vehicles in a line-up does not determine if they'll be sub par... It's the execution of each vehicle line & attention to detail that determine their success.

If the Torrent was moved over to Buick, there'd be no overlap. A boulevard/touring 4-passenger coupe-convertible would not produce overlap either.

It is not 1996, period. Also a two door or wagon version of a 4 door is not a "model", it's a body style.

And that '96 Century was the ancient Chevy Citation platform in its last year! :deadhorse: Good riddance! For 1997, the Century/Reagl went to one platform. The Roadmaster was dead in 97, and Skylark was fleet only by 98.

Face reality, GM has 25% market share at best, and Buick will never ever have the 1996, 1976, 1966, 1956..... line up.

Edited by Chicagoland

The only reason they were still making these two in 1996 is because someone forgot to shut the factory down way back in 1991.

215334[/snapback]

They were still selling fairly well, despite the fact they were looking and feeling quite dated by then. Old people loved those cars (Cieras too).

After the Enclave debuts in LA, what is next?

218931[/snapback]

The Epsilon II Lacrosse comes out in very early 2009, and the Zeta Lucerne comes out a year later. I am a huge proponent of Buick getting a TE instead of/in addition to SAAB, but it doesn't look like that's happening.

The only reason they were still making these two in 1996 is because someone forgot to shut the factory down way back in 1991.

215334[/snapback]

Lets not forget the Abody Century made a lot of money for Buick, and they are known as reliable cars and were a good value for the time. Compared to the 06 cars they seem prehistoric but in 1996 Buick sold 92,468 of them, which for a car in its 15th season isnt too bad.

… If the Torrent was moved over to Buick, there'd be no overlap. A boulevard/touring 4-passenger coupe-convertible would not produce overlap either.

215516[/snapback]

The idea was for the midsized Torrent to move over to GMC, and for a smaller CUV similar to the Vue or Captiva to be added to Buick and/or GMC, but so far only the midsized GMC seems firm. BPG also lacks a C/D-segment sedan in North America (China and Taiwan get different versions of the J200 Excelle), but perhaps Alpha will spawn a small rwd Pontiac in that niche. Ideally there would be a compact rwd Pontiac and a D-segment fwd Buick (replacing the Chinese Regal) similar to the Vectra, but that may only be feasible if the Buick is imported from China.

I was just looking to see if this article had already been posted. Doesn't appear so but this looks to be a good place to put it. :)

Four models huh?

1 - Enclave obviously

2 - New LaCrosse

3 - New Lucerne

4 - halo vehicle? :scratchchin: Coupe? :thumbsup:

Just my .02 of course.... :)

Won't the Epsilon II Lacrosse be in the C/D segment?

221202[/snapback]

No. The C/D segment encompasses encompasses roughly sedans 4.4–4.6 m long. While this includes early model Vectras, Camrys etc. (the original V1 Camry was just 4.4 m long), the main vehicles in this size class are now the Focus, Cobalt, Corolla etc.

The "European" size classes overlap, and the areas of overlap are given compound names.

C-segment (4200-4600 mm)

...........D-segment (4400-4800 mm)

.........................E segment (4600-5000 mm)

.....................................F segment (4800-5200 mm)

Ford has stuck with "CD" for successive generations of medium sedans (Sierra-Mondeo) even as each has grown in size, from C/D to D/E and soon to E/F. The US LaCrosse is slightly too long, but the Chinese Lacrosse just squeezes into the the E/F segment. The Hyundai Sonata and G6 define the bottom of the E/F-segment, and even if the next LaCrosse loses a few inches it will stay in the E/F segment, along with the Maxima and Azera.

The D/E segment is dominated by European-style midsize sedans such as the 407, Passat, the facelifted Vectra (originally at the top of the C/D segment), Toyota Avensis, Mazda6, Citroen C5, Mondeo, Optima, Legacy and Malibu. In the luxury end D/E sedans include the G35, Acura TSX, 9-3, X-type and Alfa 159. FYI the new Astra sedan is bigger than the Opel Vectra in almost every dimension (+3 mm wheelbase, +7 mm length -2mm in height, but -44 mm in width).

I don't think a Halo car would improve sales of the Lacrosse and Lucerne. I would prefer a new Lacrosse cause the current one is such an old design with a dated engine and platform. This can't bring new customers.

221509[/snapback]

A new LaCrosse is already in the works- but it will not be Buick's 4th vehicle.

I think the 4th vehicle Buick plans to come out with will be a halo car. Obviously Buick is trying to classify itself in the luxury division, and the evolution from the LaCrosse to the Enclave show that is the definite direction.

So offering a 4th vehicle below 30k when you already have two would give Buick more flak for calling themselves luxury but really aren't...

Now- the major thing Buick needs more than anything else is an image boost. The quality is there, the design is there, the luxury is there. The image is still stuck in first gear. A halo car- a 30k-40k Buick coupe would be the exact car that would electrify the company. 4 door vehicles do not boosts images. A Buick coupe would be very stylish compared to most coupes in that price range if done with anything-near the mindset the Enclave was designed from.

And Buick has a history of amazing coupes. It has a lot to work with. Or convertibles.

And the platform that will most likely be used, from what I can tell, is the Zeta platform again... which the Velite was made for. If their Centieme-to-Enclave Concept-to-Enclave Production idea works well when the Enclave goes on sale (and by all sounds it will go very well) there may be a Velite-to-X Concept-to- X Production.

I'd like to hear a more logical suggestion for the 4th vehicle. I think it will be a halo car.

Edited by Cananopie

The only [non sporty] 2 doors that sell well are droptops. Maybe a new version of the Bengal?

222892[/snapback]

I debate that this is only because the current options of hardtop coupes are very poor.

But a droptop is very likely coming from Buick seeing the Velite.