2008 Dodge Viper SRT10

BB_454

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/12/28/200...ge-viper-srt10/

Add LLN to your RSS feed!

2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 revealed

Chrysler has revealed the 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 — a more powerful version of its popular two-seat sports cars. It will arrive in Dodge showrooms in North America this summer. The SRT model gains an additional 90 horsepower from the new 8.4-liter powerplant, for a total of 600 hp and 560 lb.-ft. of torque.

Zero to 60 mph takes under four seconds, and 0-100-0 mph is completed in just over 12 seconds. The Viper SRT10's 8.4-liter engine breathes through new cylinder heads equipped with CNC-machhined combustion chambers, larger valves and Variable Valve Timing (VVT). VVT electronically adjusts when the exhaust valves are open and closed according to engine speed and load.

The Viper SRT10's V10 channels its power through a new, smaller-diameter, twin-disc clutch. The transmission is the latest evolution of the Tremec T56 six-speed manual, known as the TR6060. It features 10 percent wider gears for higher torque capacity and a new synchronizer package. Stopping power is another key attribute of the Dodge Viper SRT10 formula, with 14-inch brake rotors gripped by Brembo dual opposing calipers, good for 60-to-0 mph in less than 100 feet. Gallery after the jump…

I will add photos in a minute.

Yea I was just talkin about the car with a friend, the interior looks so cheep for a car thats runs in the mid 80's. Wish they would have done a little bit more to the exterior, and the sidewall on the call looks bigger, maybe its just me, but I thought they looked a little more low profile before. Maybe they need more flex in the sidewall to keep the tires from spinning?

Very cool! It doesnt have the rep of a Corvette but the Vipe is establishing itself well as time goes on. Amazing that the jump in horsepower is so high in cars nowadays. I remember with 20-30 hp was a huge leap, now jumps are 50 hp and up. I've been a fan of this car and will continue to do so. I was hoping for some more styling changes and interior changes, but this is a sports car for people who just want to go fast and want the Viper name. People don't buy these for interior comfort. They get it for the image and the balls to the wall V-10 under the hood. I think the wheels that are shown on these are cool. One thing about this car is that it is pure American from the big torque/high hp engine to the crude insides. I love it just for that reason, and I'm not even an American anymore (well, just in citizenship, but not in mindset).

I wasnt talking about interior comfort, but look at the inside of a Z06, Lambo, Ferarri, Porshe etc. I think they all surpass the interior in this car. If its was only ment to be for track use than I would say its fine, maybe a little over kill than. But in a $85k+ car it should be better, IMHO.

I like this picture the best, and the color. Racing stripes are so 90's (but so is the viper! lol).

Posted Image

And that interior is plain UGLY!!!! What the hell is that doing in such an expensive car?? That's a Dodge Neon interior with extra gauges!

Posted Image

It looks good on the outside, but the Grand Caravan we rented had the same stereo and climate controls, if not better ones. I guess that's part of the Viper's "charm."

It might have more power than the Z06, but I think the 'Vette SS will fix that.

eh... never really been a fan... its so much heavier than the 'vette... and 0-60 under 4 is right where the new Z06 is (3.7)... so why pay so much more for a heavier, uglier car with a crappy interior?

also... that new hood... is so overdone its insane... i hope it actually needs all those vents because if not... DCX needs to fire its entire American design studio

and have they changed the lower air dam at all since they debuted this thing?

I'd never buy one new but it's nice to know it exists.

There's no replacement for displacement... except

when it's a Z06. :spin:

That engine just keeps getting bigger! Goodness! And, what's this?? Variable Valve Tming? In a Viper?! Uh-oh, Chrysler must be getting soft... lmao!

Please. The Viper wasn't ever meant to be a refined, classy sports car for the upper crust country club members.

It's a loud, raw, fire breathing monster of a toy and sure, the interior could be better, but that's not its mission or point in life either. It's to show that it's got more balls than any Vette has had yet (that's why in my opinion why the numbers were upgraded). I'd take a Viper over a Vette anyday for a number of reasons. One of them is sheer appearance, another is the bigger engine with more cylinders, a big one is that it's from Chrysler Corp. (hehe, yes, I know), and the purity of mission.

Z06 = Stadium Rock (Led Zeppelin etc)

Viper = Thrash Metal (Motorhead etc)

It's a 'to each is there own' type of thing....

fixed

Edited by 04monteintimidator

Sorry to rain on the Anti-Viper parade, but as far as looks go, it's by far sexier than the Vette. No question about it. The Vette used to be sexy... in the 60's. But the C5 and C6 are just bulbous, warmed over C4s. As they say, there's nothing like the original. C2, C3, C4, and the Viper > C5 and C6. Oops, I didn't make anyone cry, did I? :P

As far as the interior goes, it is definitely pathetic, that I'll agree with.

Sorry to rain on the Anti-Viper parade, but as far as looks go, it's by far sexier than the Vette. No question about it. The Vette used to be sexy... in the 60's. But the C5 and C6 are just bulbous, warmed over C4s. As they say, there's nothing like the original. C2, C3, C4, and the Viper > C5 and C6. Oops, I didn't make anyone cry, did I? :P

I'll give you the "C5 is bulbous" comment (though I still like it and would take one in a heartbeat). But the C6 is surprisingly trim. Park one next to a 911 and you'll see their dimensions only differ by a couple of inches.

Most of you people are ragging on the Viper, and saying that the Z06 kills it. Well, according to some magazine tests, the Z06 does beat the current Viper.....by a few tenths in every catagory......but now the '08 Viper has 95 more horsepower!!

The Viper was getting a little long in the tooth, and was finally surpassed by a Corvette.......so Dodge did something about it.

Even though the latest gen Vipers aren't as sexy and bold looking as the first gen was....I still think they are sexier than the Z06, which is a fine looking automobile:

Posted Image

This is interesting that they are upgrading it in its last year of production. The '09 Viper vs. Blue Devil might be a good showdown, though I don't know if the Viper stands a chance other than in a straight line as the Blue Devil will essentially be a C6-R for the road.

Dodge Viper - David Lee Roth

Corvette Z06 - Sammy Hagar

Roth is loud, raucous and ferocious, much like the Viper.

Hagar is polished, more streamlined, and more marketable, and so is the Corvette.

:lol:

BINGO - that is what I was going for... (maybe it was a different generation thing... haha)

Very impressive bump in horsepower. Considering the Vette only beat by a small margin before, it should be interesting to see any comparisons. The hood vents are a little silly but they are necessary.

I love the Viper and respect it for what it is: a big mean pissed-off and insanely powerful car that embodies the soul of American Muscle....and it looks badass.

For all those complaining about the Viper's interior...just remember...the Corvette's isn't exactly a masterpiece itself. :P

Edited by Dodgefan

The interior is garbage, but that's not the point. Remember what the Viper is all about - a cheeseburger with extra cheese; a sawed-off shotgun; vacationing in Chechnya; sex without a condom. Its risky, daring, and by those virtues, exciting.

Its by no means a luxury car, nor is it an extrodinarily well-rounded machine. Its value is minimal for the price and its about the most impractical thing you can buy from an American manufacturer (you could at least carry things in a Lightning). But that's the point.

Its raw, unchecked, unbridled, and untamed. Remember, this car didn't have anti-lock brakes until '99ish and you burned your thighs on the exhaust when you got out.

You slap people with a Mustang. You hit them with a Corvette. And you punch them in the face with a Z06. But with this car, you kick them in the groin, clock them in the head with a stilson wrench, kick them again while they're unconcious, take their wallet, $h! on their lawn, and f@#k their wife.

That's a Viper.

Or maybe I've had too much soda, who knows?

The hood is now ribbed for your pleasure.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Now that I got that out of my system.... the Viper is an amazing car for Dodge to produce. The fact that they can make this car is incredible. However, what super car do you need "BURN" warning signs on the door sills so you don't fry your leg on the side exhaust pipes? Don't get me wrong, I think more horsepower is awesome and this car has plenty of it. However, what good is all that power if it can't be controlled? The suspension packaging on the Viper has been its major downfall. It can only drive in a straight line if you can get the tires to hook up off the line in the first place. It's like an angry teenager looking for acceptance from the upper classman in high school. It's trying so hard, but continues to get left out of the Super Car agrument year after year, because the total package is laughable. Dodge is trying the "stuff all the horsepower you can" routine and it just doesn't work like that anymore. For any vehicle to be considered, it needs to compete in all areas.

As far as the interior goes, it is definitely pathetic, that I'll agree with.

Yeah buddy!

That's what I'm talking about (about the hotness of the Viper, hmm, it's figurative and literal!).

Hmm, does the Viper seem more manly than the Vette???

The interior is garbage, but that's not the point. Remember what the Viper is all about - a cheeseburger with extra cheese; a sawed-off shotgun; vacationing in Chechnya; sex without a condom. Its risky, daring, and by those virtues, exciting.

Its by no means a luxury car, nor is it an extrodinarily well-rounded machine. Its value is minimal for the price and its about the most impractical thing you can buy from an American manufacturer (you could at least carry things in a Lightning). But that's the point.

Its raw, unchecked, unbridled, and untamed. Remember, this car didn't have anti-lock brakes until '99ish and you burned your thighs on the exhaust when you got out.

You slap people with a Mustang. You hit them with a Corvette. And you punch them in the face with a Z06. But with this car, you kick them in the groin, clock them in the head with a stilson wrench, kick them again while they're unconcious, take their wallet, $h! on their lawn, and f@#k their wife.

That's a Viper.

:lol: Couldn't have said it better myself.

Hmm, does the Viper seem more manly than the Vette???

I think so!

That's a Viper.

:rotflmao:

That was amazing, Fly...

I like the Viper. It's basically everything that Fly said it was, which is like I said, part of the Viper's charm. There really isn't anything like it out there, although the Corvette comes close in terms of power.

The Viper is like using a slegehammer to kill a fly, while the Corvette is like using a rubber mallet for the same task. They both get the job done.

But the C6 is surprisingly trim. Park one next to a 911 and you'll see their dimensions only differ by a couple of inches.

That... has nothing to do with what I said. :lol:

The C6 is just an upgraded C5, while the C5 was an updated C4 is what I'm saying. Originality and sexiness left as soon as the the C5 arrived. It was a bloated C4. The C6 is a trimmer bloated C4 with some barely noticeable lines etched in and Modena headlights. The only good thing about the C5 or C6 are how they perform. Great chassis, great engines, decent comfort. But to look at? I'll pass. Give me a real Corvette like the beautiful C2.

In terms of Vette styling, everything from the '68 on is just an ever-evolving rework of a Ferrari 250GTO. :-P

But seriously. You guys who imply that the Viper is only good in a straight line are kind of forgetting that Team Viper got themselves a whole shelf-full of Le Mans trophies a few years back. It's a great-handling track car -- IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING. It's got that Porsche 930 vibe of being able to really bite the clueless in a hurry, which is why the internet is full of pix of wrecked snakes. But it's a great piece of sporting equipment for the skilled driver. Really.

I wouldn't want one as a daily driver. But as a Sunday morning car... hell yeah.

The hood is now ribbed for your pleasure.

Guess it would have to be, because judging by the size of the hood, the prospective lady will know she won't be too happy later in the evening...

Meh, I'm tired. I'd rather leave the compensation jokes to the pro's on this board.

That's a Viper.

Best post ever. :thumbsup:

:rotflmao:

That was amazing, Fly...

I like the Viper. It's basically everything that Fly said it was, which is like I said, part of the Viper's charm. There really isn't anything like it out there, although the Corvette comes close in terms of power.

The Viper is like using a slegehammer to kill a fly, while the Corvette is like using a rubber mallet for the same task. They both get the job done.

Yeah buddy!

And that's why I love the Viper!

What's wrong with the C6? Nothing really to me. There is nothing wrong with sticking to an existing platform/layout to perfection. Look at the 911. Same layout after all these years, the only thing that's happened to it essentially is the enlargement of body, chassis, and the addition of (literally) ass-saving electronics. Sure, there have been major changes, but the Vette is like the current 911- a wonderful evolution (of the 996) and gradual metamorphosis towards something better and magnificent.

But, the Viper, in a matter more like the 911's of yore, will bite you and toss your fanny into the nearest ditch if the you're clueless as to its capabilities and sensitivities.

The Viper is a Beautiful Brute.

Remember, the next one is rumoured to possess something like 800 hp. That's right. I've got your nuclear sledgehammer right here baby!

Edited by MyerShift