Official 2008 Mercedes-Benz C-Class images

DetroitNut90

Posted Image

Mercedes today unveiled the 2008 C-Class — a totally redesigned version of its bread-and-butter sedan. Designed to compete with the BMW 3-Series, models will range from the basic C180 Kompressor to the 450 horsepower C 63 AMG. The new C-Class reflects Mercedes' updated design language, with design cues from the new S-Class sedan and R-Class crossover.

Leftlane News

The new C-Class is very average. Aside from the front (which I like) it is either boring (the side), or somewhat ugly (the rear). The interior is very lacking in design originality. It looks like it came from a VW but they forgot to upgrade it to Audi levels for the luxury version. The CTS murders it.

I guess I'll echo what others have said here. It's not bad just underwhelming. The interior will probably be better in person, like the big GL is, and the front end is supremely attractive. The rest of the car is just okay, it's not all that robust or expensive looking.

Wow... that interior doesn't look like Mercedes at all. It'd look great in a cheaper car, but this is a Mercedes...

Times two... I really expected more after the new S-Class. I think it'll look better in person also, since most of the interior chrome touches don't seem to show up very well in pictures.

Not a big fan, but that might change if the new C-class 2 door is a hardtop! :)

Hmm. The interior does look good, but it doesn't look like a Benz. Looks Ford or Korean to me. Rear isn't very good, but I do like the front end.

However, this is the first C-Class that I wouldn't mind having. Even if the S-Class interior is better, it has more electronic $h! and it looks bad to boot. I'll take a car that I can figure out any day over an i-Drive BMW or S-Class.

Overall MB could have done a good job. It is a disappointment compared to the new G and definitely compared the CTS. I was worried that the new C would have stole the limelight from the CTS at Geneva. But I think CTS is safe and ready to be at top of the heap.

The big difference is the CTS is an evolution of a dynamic and groundbreaking design. You knew Art & Science would be the mantra, but not to what extent.

With the C-Class, you know its going to be direct translation of the S-Class' styling with no originality of its own. Once you've seen the flagship Benz, you've seen them all.

The big difference is the CTS is an evolution of a dynamic and groundbreaking design. You knew Art & Science would be the mantra, but not to what extent.

With the C-Class, you know its going to be direct translation of the S-Class' styling with no originality of its own. Once you've seen the flagship Benz, you've seen them all.

Good point Fly. Except one minor correction. You have seen all of the Benz's after the flagship except the E-class which is the bastard child of their line up. :AH-HA_wink:

Hell, order me a 2008 CTS in crimson red... That Benz in the front is sweet, side and interior suck. My friend has a C240 it is a $h!y car hell my 'crude' Bonneville with 1 less cog in the gear box and more weight out performs it. I was very underimpressed with his 38K Benz! I could have a loaded GXP for less (new at sticker) or an SLE with leather, xm radio, 6 disc changer and tape deck for less too. I was disapointed in the size to it was the size of my GRAND PRIX!

Edited by gm4life

That's too bad about the interior. I'm sure it's very high quality and uses some of the finest materials in the industry. Unfortunately, the design doesn't reflect that. It looks like it belongs in a much cheaper vehicle and definately not a Mercedes.

The exterior is pretty stylish for the class. I like the new direction for Mercedes styling even if it might be a bit too conservative for some. For those who have yet to see the new S-class in person, I highly recommend it. It looks so good. It's reserved yet sophisticated all at the same time. This follows that design theme and I'm sure it will look just as good on the road. I do agree on the back though. Could've used a little bit more work. Yet, so does the new CTS but the rest of the vehicle is so good, it's a relatively small issue in my book.

Also, I don't think you can really compare this and the CTS together since this is more around the size of the 3-series or the IS and there is still a bit of confusion on whether or not GM is still positioning this vehicle as a 3-series fighter.

Edited by Cadillacfan

that rear shot looks like the new Lancer to me.

the dash says Aveo meets Saturn Outlook, with a hint of VW.

The door panels say Opel vectra or 2008 Saturn Vue.

the exterior I think is a response to try to be as sporty as a BMW. It looks ok to me, just not very affluent like Mercedes typically does.

The interior does look cheap in the photo. Odd that they would go this direction. Of course, the 3 series interior is cheesy too. Did the Germans get to the point where they have to cost cut interiors now? Perhaps.

Well, the CTS I think presents itself much better, at least in photos.

I think actually if the mercedes grille was half the size it would look way better.

Edited by regfootball

Overall I like the styling, but...there's something about the greenhouse--specifically the rear door glass area that disturbingly reminds me of the last 2 generations of Civics...the C-pillar and upper rear door just doesn't say MB to me..

Depending on what it looks like in person, I really think I could like this.

It's small, and if they still make it available with a manual, I would drive it.

I know, I am really weird.

• 1 month later...