SRX competes against 8 lux suv's in C&D

Nice job GM that puppy is aging well. Think about it the LR3, X5, and MB are ALL NEWER!

Yes..good point. The updated interior in the SRX looks quite good in the pics... and the SRX is the 2nd lightest in the group, over 1000lbs less than the lardy LR3.

The styling of the SRX has really grown on me..I really like how it looks like a CTS tall wagon more than an SUV..

....and that is the reason I absolutely wouldn't buy one. I hate the wagon look and would much rather buy something else that looked the part of an SUV. One of the reason's I like the Lambdas so much. To each his own I guess.

....and that is the reason I absolutely wouldn't buy one. I hate the wagon look and would much rather buy something else that looked the part of an SUV. One of the reason's I like the Lambdas so much. To each his own I guess.

Well if people want more traditional SUV Caddy does offer the Escalade, EXT, and ESV.

My boss has an SRX, navy blue V6.

She's from Singapore so it's esp. cool.

Both of my co-workers have Japanese cars. (97 Civic EX & 06 Scion tC)

I think GM is going to make a mistake by not updating it and killing it. It is exceptional to drive.

May be it should get a makeover like a SUV and keep it there.

The upcoming CTS wagon is, for the most part, an update...The new CTS' will be available with AWD and the SRX is essentially a CTS wagon now, anyway.

The 5 passenger TE based crossover at the low end could also mean that a CTS wagon will have a 5+2 capacity to differentiate it from its lower priced bretheren.

The SRX is a bit of a puzzler... it got great press for years but no one bought it. The interior was crappy for quite some time, though.

the interior hurt it. as i've tried to outline before, though, it was the styling that didn't hit the heart of the market. it isn't mainstream styling; i think it's pretty attractive, and quite a few people seem to think so as evidenced by modded SRXs running around LA. It's pretty popular here. But look at the LR3, for example, it's similarly priced, Land Rover has a horrible reputation for reliability, and clearly objectively speaking it's a much worse car than the SRX, but the baby RR styling has set it apart from the masses, and I couldn't get a LR3 intender to even consider the SRX, it's way too "different". and it's doing almost as well as the SRX, with a much more limited dealer base, and thus market base. People like making the right statements, and this is even more important in the highly discerning crowd of the luxury market, I believe. I guess for many people, a wagon styled like the SRX is too feminine for some, too boxy for others, and too unrefined still for others [in the looks dept.].

If Sigma can go a little wider, SRX replacement would be cool. Even without that, I agree with the above, GM needs to seriously reconsider leaving the large x-over segment at Caddy. Though if something were to come off of Zeta that would be pretty cool. No Lambda! Unless you make it light enough, performance-oriented enough, and way way distinct. I'm also getting the feeling GM is going to consolidate everything to Zeta eventually...

I recently sat in an 07 SRX at a local autshow. The new interior LOOKS fantastic, but even the leather-wrapped dash parts didn't feel as substantial as I had hoped. I got the impression that the leather used on these components was very very thin. There was no softness whatsoever. The leather/vinyl on the doors isn't so great either.

I still think the interior is competitive in the class, but I'm not so wowed by it anymore.

I recently sat in an 07 SRX at a local autshow. The new interior LOOKS fantastic, but even the leather-wrapped dash parts didn't feel as substantial as I had hoped. I got the impression that the leather used on these components was very very thin. There was no softness whatsoever. The leather/vinyl on the doors isn't so great either.

I still think the interior is competitive in the class, but I'm not so wowed by it anymore.

There's no leather on the dash whatsoever... it's vinyl they're using, and the stitching is what's cool about it.

C&D seems to have taken notice.

Well, I know people like to disagree, but out of all the magazines, they usually know what they're talking about most and have an eye for picking what really is the best in a crowd--you just can't get stuffy when you're favorite doesn't win and say they were paid off, etc. That's just dumb.

So I can't wait to get home tomorrow and read this comparo :thumbsup:

Ahh, that explains it. Does this mean they're really using vinyl in the CTS? Is all of this comotion about the new hand-cut and sew process just a bunch of hype?

Pretty much, but that isn't a bad thing, as it's always the appearance and feel that are key, and using real leather to wrap the dashboards of a mass market vehicle...well, that just isn't done, and would be one hell of a supplier and cost issue, that's for sure. Plus, the vinyl not only looks and feels 95% the same, but can be made to stand up to the heat and such a dashboard takes, better.

Edited by caddycruiser

Vinyl can feel as good as leather too The computer chair I hve is made out of vinyl but its so soft I thought it was leather when I first looked at it in the store.

Yes, definitely. BMW's leatherette is so convincing that it's hard to justify spending extra for leather, which is harder to maintain, too.

Caddy's new vinyl is certainly better than the dot matrix industrial stuff they were using before.