Lexus prices LS600h

Flybrian

Lexus LS hybrid arriving in June
Base price is $104,750
Link to Original Article @ AutoWeek | Updated: 04/06/07, 8:00 pm et
Posted Image

AutoWeek's sister publication, Automotive News reported this evening that a hybrid version of the Lexus LS sedan is ready for the market and base priced at $104,750. The car is slated to go on sale in June 2007.

The Lexus LS 600h L will combine a V-8 engine with a continuously variable transmission and electric motor. According to the Automotive News report, Lexus stated that the powertrain will be rated at more than 430 hp.

Wow, it will be interesting to see how many of these they sell.

It doesn't matter to them how many they sell. Just like the Prius this is a marketing move more than anything. I assume they will still loose money on each one they make. But the positive press and increased 'green' persona more than make up for it.

So, is this supposed to have any significant impact on fuel economy or is it only for the additional power, reduction in emissions and let Lexus say they have another hybrid?

i bet the svelte XJ still gets better mpg. The Maserati would probably be my pick here.

Imagine the cackling behind the backs at the office when mr. 'i'm so cool boss man' doesn't show up in a european car.

"Hi Mr. Jones, that sure is a nice Camry"

:)

I'm sorry. You can socially justify an asian lux car purchase up to a certain price.....but once you cross say, 80k and get into that rarified air of the really rich, you're a damned idiot to buy a poseur wagon asian car.

hybrid is the only way Lexus can try to pass off a 100k vehicle. Everyone else would laugh at them otherwise.

a 100k luxo sedan with a CVT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!!! that's like a full size pickup with TIMING BELTS........oops!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by regfootball

In all seriousness, this is a car that's all about impressions. If you're pulling down enough cash to afford $100k+ for an automobile, you're not affected by gas prices and if you were so concerned, you wouldn't buy a car like this in the first place.

i bet the svelte XJ still gets better mpg. The Maserati would probably be my pick here.

Imagine the cackling behind the backs at the office when mr. 'i'm so cool boss man' doesn't show up in a european car.

"Hi Mr. Jones, that sure is a nice Camry"

:)

I'm sorry. You can socially justify an asian lux car purchase up to a certain price.....but once you cross say, 80k and get into that rarified air of the really rich, you're a damned idiot to buy a poseur wagon asian car.

hybrid is the only way Lexus can try to pass off a 100k vehicle. Everyone else would laugh at them otherwise.

a 100k luxo sedan with a CVT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!!! that's like a full size pickup with TIMING BELTS........oops!!!!!!!!!!

now, do you really think 55+yr olds are making any attempts at being cool?

and Lexus might just add another car that is over $100k.

Posted Image

FYI: Toyota stopped using timing belts in their latest motors.

I expect all future Lexus vehicles to carry either an h or f badge.

Edited by toyoguy

In all seriousness, this is a car that's all about impressions. If you're pulling down enough cash to afford $100k+ for an automobile, you're not affected by gas prices and if you were so concerned, you wouldn't buy a car like this in the first place.

well none of the others can manage a SULEV emission score.

the LS600h offers acceleration on par if not faster then its BMW and Audi competitors, all while getting fuel economy on par w/the GS350 awd.

btw, the LS460 is both 2007 world car of the year, and SAE's best engineered vehicle.

Edited by toyoguy

$105,000? For that?[/]

Attention Toyota: If you're going to sell a Lexus for over $100K, the very least you could do is to have it NOT look like every other f@#king model you make.

Frankly, I find the idea that they can't make a car that expensive look any different from their typical "boring-as-hell" styling is insulting.

Dear Lord...guide Detroit's hand and make it strong when it rises up to crush the blight on this world that is Toyota. Amen.

Edited by AxelTheRed

Pairing a V8 to a hybrid system sound f*cktarded until you realize GM will have V8 hybrid systems. However, to be fair, GM's system will only be in SUV's, where a V8 is often required for towing.

Still, I think this car is totally stupid. Buyers in this price range want prestige and luxury, and therefore, want a BMW or Mercedes.

Pairing a V8 to a hybrid system sound f*cktarded until you realize GM will have V8 hybrid systems. However, to be fair, GM's system will only be in SUV's, where a V8 is often required for towing.

Still, I think this car is totally stupid. Buyers in this price range want prestige and luxury, and therefore, want a BMW or Mercedes.

GM's 1st gne hybrids were in pickup trucks only, the Sierra moreso than the Silverado I think. I think the two can be mated well. It just depends on what the producers want to accomplish. But in this case the only thing accomplished will be PR.

now, do you really think 55+yr olds are making any attempts at being cool?

and Lexus might just add another car that is over $100k.

FYI: Toyota stopped using timing belts in their latest motors.

I expect all future Lexus vehicles to carry either an h or f badge.

the baby boomers are most self righteous, image conscious, self important generation ever and judging by all the 'hair club for men' guys wearing nautica and such that try to pick up 30 year old chicks, um yeah, you still see buckets of the graying geezers trying to think like they still matter.

does the new TURDRA have timing chains, not that i can tell........

GM's 1st gne hybrids were in pickup trucks only, the Sierra moreso than the Silverado I think. I think the two can be mated well. It just depends on what the producers want to accomplish. But in this case the only thing accomplished will be PR.

since we sell like 2 million pickups in this country each year at non luxury transaction prices I would think there is a great impact to society to make a hybrid truck that will collectively save us billions of gallons of fuel.

a few thousand ugly overpriced luxury cars that save a couple hundred gallons a year means less than what i am about to spit into the urinal while i am peeing in a few minutes.

Edited by regfootball

If it was a $100k Zeta Caddy, you guys would already have your collective knee pads on.....

It's a tech marvel, it'll sell like hotcakes and, like it or not, it's a rolling billboard for everything that's right about Toyota's PR machine...

Whether or not its worth the money or if its bland or better than a MB or BMW doesn't matter at all! That's genius on Toyota's part and creates a USP that NOONE else has.

You can hate on Toyota all you want, but this thing is exactly what a PR-poor co. like GM could use right now.

The fact that Lexus is pricing this generic throwaway clone to there other offerings for the fantasy land figure of $105,000 is just pure and total arrogance on Toyotas part. The sad part is that the uninformed sheep that have money growing out of there pockets will probably snatch every one of these boring blobs right up.

If it was a $100k Zeta Caddy, you guys would already have your collective knee pads on.....

You go ahead and keep believing you know what everyone else thinks and believes. Gaud, you are so arrogant. :rolleyes:

The Lexus LS is a very nice car, that's still soulless by the words of more than one auto mag. I believe it was compared to having the emotional appeal to a "public" golf course when matched against the class leaders in one magazine (remember, the new Lexus LS finished last.) The Mercedes S600 is far more gratifying to own than this vehicle... even with one less gear and minus hybrid. Most people in this class aren't seeking public approval. It's the other way around.

My Buick also has a Continuously Variable Transmission.

But it does not SUCK, was made five decades ago &

cost me more than it was new but yet still $100,000 less

than this Lexus, give or take a few Datsun Maximas.

the baby boomers are most self righteous, image conscious, self important generation ever and judging by all the 'hair club for men' guys wearing nautica and such that try to pick up 30 year old chicks, um yeah, you still see buckets of the graying geezers trying to think like they still matter.

does the new TURDRA have timing chains, not that i can tell........

Best quote ever!

They "killed off" large cars during the '70's while they were young, bored, and couldn't afford them. Had no problems what so ever buying big SUV's when they had kids of their own and stuff to carry around. Now that their kids are gone, they're getting bored, and they're back into "green-mode" again and trying to kill off SUV's.

Maybe they just can't stand the sight of larger 4-door vehicles because it's a reminder that they're no longer fertile and have nothing of consequence to do anymore?

You go ahead and keep believing you know what everyone else thinks and believes. Gaud, you are so arrogant. :rolleyes:

The Lexus LS is a very nice car, that's still soulless by the words of more than one auto mag. I believe it was compared to having the emotional appeal to a "public" golf course when matched against the class leaders in one magazine (remember, the new Lexus LS finished last.) The Mercedes S600 is far more gratifying to own than this vehicle... even with one less gear and minus hybrid. Most people in this class aren't seeking public approval. It's the other way around.

I don't know what everyone thinks....and quite frankly, I don't care. If you care to review the '16' threads or any other romantic project GM is allegedly thinking about (and read what people wrote--which I believe gives some insight into their thinking) and you take the passion expressed for a Zeta based, $100K+ vehicle, you'll find that a pie-in-the-sky vehicle, with no confirmed production plans--was treated as if it was the next coming (by most posters, admittedly not all.)

Here, we have a production ready vehicle, with 6 cylinder MPG and 12 cylinder power, priced $30K less than the s600 and thousands less than an A8 or 760----and gas is about to hit $3.00/gal average in the US...this isn't an achievement ? And if it was a Caddy---appearances aside, as that is subjective, you can honestly tell me you wouldn't be proud of this as a flagship? ?

I'm just calling the twisted logic being used. You guys get impressed when the new Malibu will have a two-tone interior available.... If you percieve that as arrongance, rather than someone waking you up from the ether...that's fine. I'm OK with that. But I'm going to call people on it.

And, BTW, I work in the business.....I'm utterly dependent upon GM producing good stuff...so, if constructive criticism is too much, just ask me to stop posting. I can't believe how thin skinned people are about GM...it's not your significant other that I'm picking on!

I'm sticking to my guns here. If this were a Caddy, hosannahs up and down the street at C&G. It's a Toyota (cue 'bad guy music'), so go ahead and ignore the fact that this vehicle, while not my cup of tea, is highly significant and, more importantly, is a financial, PR and ego success for its manufacturer.

Best quote ever!

They "killed off" large cars during the '70's while they were young, bored, and couldn't afford them. Had no problems what so ever buying big SUV's when they had kids of their own and stuff to carry around. Now that their kids are gone, they're getting bored, and they're back into "green-mode" again and trying to kill off SUV's.

Maybe they just can't stand the sight of larger 4-door vehicles because it's a reminder that they're no longer fertile and have nothing of consequence to do anymore?

oh wait, it gets better. the last part of their plan is to bankrupt social security and government, piss off all other countries, ruin our world trade so we import everything and outsource all our jobs, they will ruin health care, and leave behind a need for the younger ones to all work in nursing homes cleaning up their poop. They are the ones who contributed the most pollution and consumed the most resources and now expect us to take the responsibility of making up for their own rape of the resources and environment. They will pass enough laws to turn our society into a first class joke. The chosen generation has not even been able to contribute a worthy leader who could lead and have vision instead of the political landscape we have now.

BTW i followed a new LS into work this morning. This car simply does not have the style to compete in the segment it is trying to play in. It is weak. Beyond weak. It makes the honda RL looks stylish in comparison. And that is sad. Whatever happened to all that crap about toyota finally learning about style? just as i thought....bull$h!.

Edited by regfootball

BTW i followed a new LS into work this morning. This car simply does not have the style to compete in the segment it is trying to play in. It is weak. Beyond weak. It makes the honda RL looks stylish in comparison. And that is sad. Whatever happened to all that crap about toyota finally learning about style? just as i thought....bull$h!.

Hey Toyota, Mercedes called and they want their previous generation E-Class trunk back!

Show me one hybrid that gets decent real world mileage. Don't throw me a copy of CR.

The car with the highest real world mileage (I guess that makes it "decent"?) I could find was a hybrid...

'07 Prius - FuelEconomy.gov - Avg User MPG (29 cars) - 44.8 MPG

'06 Prius - FuelEconomy.gov - Avg User MPG (88 cars) - 47.0 MPG

'05 Prius - FuelEconomy.gov - Avg User MPG (134 cars) - 47.6 MPG

'04 Prius - FuelEconomy.gov - Avg User MPG (50 cars) - 47.2 MPG

Prius (II) - GreenHybrid.com - Avg User MPG (3,590 cars) - 47.5 MPG

'04 Prius - Car and Driver Observed MPG - 42 MPG

'06 Prius - Motor Trend Observed MPG - 43.8 MPG

'04 Prius - Road & Track, over 49,432 miles - 41.0 MPG

'04 Prius - Edmunds, over 40,687 miles - 41.4 MPG

Any suggestions? Aside from the Insight, I couldn't find anything better. VW Jetta TDI was close, but average MPG still hovered in the mid-30s.