Review: 2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid

Variance

Review: 2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid

Posted Image

The 2008 Highlander Hybrid is an exceptionally versatile package that allows you to haul the kids and their lanky pals in happy comfort without experiencing unnecessary gas pump trauma. It's always quiet and hassle-free, just like the neighbor's kid (not your own), and its green-friendly powertrain takes some of the guilt out of the constant motorized errands that are part of raising a young family. It's comfortable and useful without being so precious that you're afraid of parking it somewhere a rogue supermarket cart might find you. You might even be able to cancel that summer math tutor if you can get the kids involved in running fuel-economy calculations.

Maybe things would have turned out differently for schizophrenic Sybil if her mother had driven a 2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid.

Edmunds

It's admittedly sharp from this particular angle. Note the in-bumper exhaust pipes. This would be one of the first mainstream vehicles to install the exhaust in this fashion, with the metal flush to the plastic of the bumper.

*Looks closer* ...Are those reflectors!? Lame.

It's admittedly sharp from this particular angle. Note the in-bumper exhaust pipes. This would be one of the first mainstream vehicles to install the exhaust in this fashion, with the metal flush to the plastic of the bumper.

*Looks closer* ...Are those reflectors!? Lame.

I actually agree, the rear is pretty sharp.

The interior is odd, though. It comes off both as expensive yet drab at the same time. The area on the upper dash looks like it was pulled right out of a newer Hyundai.

It looks almost as good as that new Hyundai.

Not quite.

But almost.

It's amazing how far Toyota has fallen since starting to cheap out their interiors and dumb down their exteriors just to save $$$ on assembly.

A single tear rolls down his face.

The exhaust exits in the same place as my '57 Buick...and that is the last thing I find interesting in this trucklet. This is a car that I do not understand, or will I ever find it remotely attractive. The sell in quantity, and I cannot begin to understand why. What is it, the truck that tries to look like a 4 Runner but is built on a Camry but is bigger than a Rav4, but smaller than a Sequoia? What mission is it supposed to fill? And 23 mpg is good, but what can you do with it? Does it still tow?

I need to stop reading anything with the word Toyota in it...my blood pressure is already through the roof and I am tired of thier product and the idiots who buy them. Sorry, but is there a help group out there for people like me who are ANGRY at the stupid people who buy these toys and get self-righteous when doing so? Seriously, the next Toyo-bitch that looks at me sideways in my Corvette (that gets better mileage than this Hybrid does by the way!) and gives me that "You are ruining my precious Earth for my kids because you drive a Gas-Guzzling Sports Car" look will get ripped out of thier little battery powered shi* box and taught the meaning of HIGH VOLTAGE COLONIC with thier battery cables. I am sick of the attitude that goes along with the Toyota lifestyle. I wonder if the Highlander will have 6 HYBRID badges on all sides like the little brother Camry's 3? Serously, I am going to the gun range and shoot some target clays before I hurt someone.

It looks almost as good as that new Hyundai.

Not quite.

But almost.

It's amazing how far Toyota has fallen since starting to cheap out their interiors and dumb down their exteriors just to save $$$ on assembly.

A single tear rolls down his face.

Don't know where you're getting all that from. That is one of the best and highest quality interiors in any Toyota to date.

Non-nav model

Posted Image

Posted Image

It always amazes me that the Jap Humpers come to a GM related site and expect us to like their cars! :puke:

You tell 'em! :rolleyes:

Why not let other people with differing POV's speak their minds? Are we living in a Police State? And calling anything 'Japs' (or the gun diatribe by toesuf94 above) makes both of you sound like sociopaths, thus eliminating any opportunity to turn the 'humpers' opinion around.

I'm fine with you being a huge fan of GM. I'm even OK with your hatred of imported products...its the personal, seething deep down hatred and stupidity that really ruins the C&G experience for alot of us, whether we agree with your automotive opinions or not.

It's just a silly website, man. Lighten up, Francis.

Jesus Christ it never ends, the Land Cruiser, the Rav 4, now this, Toyota is making ugly very appealing and I just wish the mainstream public would read up on their recalls in the last year or 2 and maybe finally prove that Toyotas only sell because of their "quality" and not their breathtaking designs. Once people realize the quality is not up to par...maybe GM can get it's foot back in the door long enough to shut it.

Edited by Delta Force79

It looks like a RAV4 pumped up on steroids (along with some 'bacne'). That being said, they'll still sell every one they produce...

Automotive News has this vehicle on the front cover of this week's edition with some fairly revealing admissions by Toyota that their quality assurance system needed extensive revamping and this vehicle's intro was delayed to get it right.

You tell 'em! :rolleyes:

Why not let other people with differing POV's speak their minds? Are we living in a Police State? And calling anything 'Japs' (or the gun diatribe by toesuf94 above) makes both of you sound like sociopaths, thus eliminating any opportunity to turn the 'humpers' opinion around.

I'm fine with you being a huge fan of GM. I'm even OK with your hatred of imported products...its the personal, seething deep down hatred and stupidity that really ruins the C&G experience for alot of us, whether we agree with your automotive opinions or not.

It's just a silly website, man. Lighten up, Francis.

Have I stopped anyone else from stating their opinion? No. Are we living in a Police State? Well I'm sure you heard of the Patriot Act, draw your own conclusion. The term Jap is used in English as an abbreviation of the word "Japanese.", doesn't make me a Sociopath. Sorry not buying your Political Correctness Bullsh*t today. The Humpers will not change their minds, those minds were set long ago as they rode in their Mommy's and Daddy's 80's version of what they try to peddle here now.

Oh, and I'm glad your fine with me being a huge fan of GM, but last I looked I don't need your permission to be one, more PC Bullsh*t of yours! Again not buying it from you today enzl. I'm sorry I ruined your C&G experience perhaps you should seek a therapist's help in resolving your issues. Cut me a break! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Love,

PCS

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Have I stopped anyone else from stating their opinion? No. Are we living in a Police State? Well I'm sure you heard of the Patriot Act, draw your own conclusion. The term Jap is used in English as an abbreviation of the word "Japanese.", doesn't make me a Sociopath. Sorry not buying your Political Correctness Bullsh*t today. The Humpers will not change their minds, those minds were set long ago as they rode in their Mommy's and Daddy's 80's version of what they try to peddle here now.

Oh, and I'm glad your fine with me being a huge fan of GM, but last I looked I don't need your permission to be one, more PC Bullsh*t of yours! Again not buying it from today enzl. I'm sorry I ruined your C&G experience perhaps you should seek a therapist's help in resolving your issues. Cut me a break! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Love,

PCS

"Jap' is offensive. period. I've complained about it's use before and I'm now officially requesting you don't use it.

It's like the n word or any other slur that makes you sound like an idiot. whether I'm being PC or not, you wouldn't use the n word to make a point here...so don't use that word either. If you need help dragging your knuckles along the keyboard those few extra letters, than don't bother posting.

And, as usual, your simian mind gets all bent out of shape because of a legitimate criticism. And your response is angry and bitter---probably your personality, but that's your problem.

And if you don't mind ruining the experience here for others, than I'd add selfish to your list of descriptives as well.

"Jap' is offensive. period. I've complained about it's use before and I'm now officially requesting you don't use it.

It's like the n word or any other slur that makes you sound like an idiot. whether I'm being PC or not, you wouldn't use the n word to make a point here...so don't use that word either. If you need help dragging your knuckles along the keyboard those few extra letters, than don't bother posting.

And, as usual, your simian mind gets all bent out of shape because of a legitimate criticism. And your response is angry and bitter---probably your personality, but that's your problem.

And if you don't mind ruining the experience here for others, than I'd add selfish to your list of descriptives as well.

Sorry I don't take orders from you enzl. A Simian mind is better than the Ameba sized one that you attempt to use. Also if the moderators feel they need to edit my post they can, that's why they are there. I don't see that title under your name.

Kisses! :P

Sorry I don't take orders from you enzl. A Simian mind is better than the Ameba sized one that you attempt to use. Also if the moderators feel they need to edit my post they can, that's why they are there. I don't see that title under your name.

Kisses! :P

If I were a moderater, I would. It doesn't offend me personally, but enzl did make a legitimate request.

Edited by Oldsmoboi

If I were a moderater, I would. It doesn't offend me personally, but enzl did make a legitimate request.

Back to the vehicle...what I really hate about Toyota's latest products is that many of them have these "bulging" head and tail lights...it ruins the lines of the vehicles, makes them look bug-eyes, and just looks silly.

The integrated exhaust is kinda cool, but they they seem to far out toward the corners. Many of the design flaws could be fixed with revised front and rear fascias and reshaped head and tail lights.

No complaints about the interior except for that ugly 4-spoke wheel they keep using.

Edited by Dodgefan

Let's all play PC.

Enzl, I am officially requesting that you stop using these terms.

idiot

knuckle dragger

simian mind

angry

bitter

selfish

I personally take offense to these terms. Please stop!

Don't know where you're getting all that from. That is one of the best and highest quality interiors in any Toyota to date.

Non-nav model

Posted Image

Posted Image

Well IMO it looks like crap. I don't like unseamless interiors that have knobs bulging out. Looks like the made the interior and then shrunk it around the parts that wouldn't move. Simply put Toyota contiues to make ANOTHER vehicle that doesn't appeal to me, and not just because I'm a GM fan ither.

Well IMO it looks like crap. I don't like unseamless interiors that have knobs bulging out. Looks like the made the interior and then shrunk it around the parts that wouldn't move. Simply put Toyota contiues to make ANOTHER vehicle that doesn't appeal to me, and not just because I'm a GM fan ither.

I actually like that aspect...it's like thinking outside the box...or universal HVAC and stereo controls that are in a box that appear in every damn model, if you will.

Let's all play PC.

Enzl, I am officially requesting that you stop using these terms.

idiot

knuckle dragger

simian mind

angry

bitter

selfish

I personally take offense to these terms. Please stop!

If you seriously think calling someone any of those is as bad as referring to anyone using an ethnic/racial slur, you have serious problems.

And that's all I'm going to say about this because subjects like this always piss me off.

Just a suggestion: To keep threads from degenerating like this use the "report" button or PM a mod to let them handle it.

[End of tangent.]

The interior looks 'Korean' but I'm not sure whose fault that is, whether it's Toyota's for not having any original ideas, or if it's the Koreans for copying everyone. If anything, I just hate the 'plood' on the console and on the interior door handles.

As for the exterior, it's pretty much what I'd expect for a Toyota... not really offensive, and not really beautiful or eye-catching.

I noticed this line in the review...

Growing families, put that Tahoe angst out of your mind. There's no reason to believe that your future lies in some hulking sport-utility based on a gas-swilling pickup truck.

Nice one Edmunds... :rolleyes: ... I would have preferred something like these...

Growing families, put that Sequoia angst out of your mind. There's no reason to believe that your future lies in some hulking sport-utility based on a gas-swilling pickup truck.

Growing families, put that Armada angst out of your mind. There's no reason to believe that your future lies in some hulking sport-utility based on a gas-swilling pickup truck.

Edited by Captainbooyah

Care to share how you found those wonderful professional quality TOYOTA pictures?

Sure, just an uninterested, unpaid, voluntary blogger that suddenly arrives at just the right moment with commercial quality photographs that are found no where else on the internet.

For a vehicle that isn't even for sale at this time.

:yes:

If anyone cares to look on the Toyota website, the pictures are far less flattering, even putrid.

Dare I say putrid?

Non-nav model

Posted Image

Posted Image

That interior does not look good. The center stack is cluttered beyond all belief with huge Playskool nobs. The only thing interesting is the double-layering of the dash, but Toyota has done that before. The door handles are nice too. But otherwise, pretty unimaginative and cluttered.

That interior does not look good. The center stack is cluttered beyond all belief with huge Playskool nobs. The only thing interesting is the double-layering of the dash, but Toyota has done that before. The door handles are nice too. But otherwise, pretty unimaginative and cluttered.

I have to agree with the line "one of the best and highest quality TOYOTA interiors to date." No argument there. I don't mind it.

Still wouldn't be caught dead in one, though.

Care to share how you found those wonderful professional quality TOYOTA pictures?

Sure, just an uninterested, unpaid, voluntary blogger that suddenly arrives at just the right moment with commercial quality photographs that are found no where else on the internet.

If anyone cares to look on the Toyota website, the pictures are far less flattering, even putrid.

Dare I say putrid?

Jeezuz calm down will ya? I just visited the link mentioned in the first post and the photos were there.

Edited by scotthendersonfan

Dare I say putrid?

Erm, well they are pretty easy to obtain if you actually go to the edmunds review, click the galley, and right click :copy image location: then add image tags before and after the pasted selection...that's where a lot of people get their photos to post from. Edmunds, if nothing else, has good photography.

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www...rid.int.500.jpg

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www...brid.ip.500.jpg

toyota's grey plastic interiors are like death/hell on a stick.

one time i test drove a sienna van with gray interior and after i was done I wanted to curl up in the fetal position, crying to mommy 'make it stop, make it stop!' while I furiously poke myself in my eyeballs several times with a bic pen.

Edited by regfootball

Reg, I think the interior is tan/black, not grey. The black might be dark grey, though. I still think it looks good. Notice the apparent quality of the plastic that surrounds the HVAC and radio buttons. Not just basic black plastic but grey-colored material that looks upmarket.

I am surprised at the gas mileage Edmunds got in econ mode. Very nice. The price difference between the gas-only and hybrid versions, however, is probably going to be too much, kind of like the current-gen.

And the holes in the rear bumper are not the exhaust...they're reflectors. I made the same mistake, too, when we first saw this.

Reg, I think the interior is tan/black, not grey. The black might be dark grey, though. I still think it looks good. Notice the apparent quality of the plastic that surrounds the HVAC and radio buttons. Not just basic black plastic but grey-colored material that looks upmarket.

I am surprised at the gas mileage Edmunds got in econ mode. Very nice. The price difference between the gas-only and hybrid versions, however, is probably going to be too much, kind of like the current-gen.

And the holes in the rear bumper are not the exhaust...they're reflectors. I made the same mistake, too, when we first saw this.

I think they offer dark gray/light gray too...see the difference?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Well look at that, they are reflectors...the exhaust pipe is kinda hidden on the lower right below the bumper...sneaky bastards!

nice try. it still makes me convulse and want to pour muriatic acid all over myself.

wow, toyota's big accomplishments are a new turdra, sequoia, land cruiser, and highlander. all fuel sucking heavy trucks and all top drawer ugly to boot. so much for 'eco friendly' toyota. not to mention scrapnel comes standard now with the arrogant sales experience.

so much for 'prius nation'. The only way now for toyota to go even larger and uglier would be to put a chrome grille on rosie odonell and test her out in consumer reports.

Edited by regfootball

Erm, well they are pretty easy to obtain if you actually go to the edmunds review, click the galley, and right click :copy image location: then add image tags before and after the pasted selection...that's where a lot of people get their photos to post from. Edmunds, if nothing else, has good photography.

lol. Caught red-handed.

I didn't come anywhere close to that article.

I took one look at that piece (thread photo) and started blowing chunks.

It reminded me so much of what they've done to the Camry - engineered all the luxury and craftsmanship out until nothing worth owning remains.

Really, which other manufacturer throws in a two-link IRS and calls it acceptable?

To the point of the photography, you are right on target.

The stuff that's available on the net is much more typical Toyota. 8)

A floating sea of beige.

Posted Image

Lifelike appendage beige.

Posted Image

Cheesy old-school Toyota. Not certified for use with a snowplow

Posted Image

Cheesy new-school Toyota. Domo Arigato Mr. Roboto.

Posted Image

lol. Caught red-handed.

I didn't come anywhere close to that article.

I took one look at that piece (thread photo) and started blowing chunks.

It reminded me so much of what they've done to the Camry - engineered all the luxury and craftsmanship out until nothing worth owning remains.

Really, which other manufacturer throws in a two-link IRS and calls it acceptable?

To the point of the photography, you are right on target.

The stuff that's available on the net is much more typical Toyota. 8)

A floating sea of beige.

Posted Image

Lifelike appendage beige.

Posted Image

Cheesy old-school Toyota. Not certified for use with a snowplow

Posted Image

Cheesy new-school Toyota. Domo Arigato Mr. Roboto.

Posted Image

That's because most cameras, including mine, suck. You need a high megapixel camera to get good quality photos, and a lot of people don't have them. Oh, that, and TURN THE BLOODY FLASH OFF!!!! :banghead:

And in their defense, it's not like GM, Chrysler, and Ford haven't turned out their share of crap and poor quality photos. Most car interiors look like ass when taken with a camera that isn't good.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Dodgefan

Well, I would never buy one of these.

That being said, I think it's a very handsome design, without a lot of flash.....but it is a tad on the boring side.

The interior, however, I think is fantastic and top-of-the-segment.

Seriously?

Man's entitled to his opinion, I guess. But I think the Outlook and Acadia interiors are better from a design perspective.

Seriously?

Man's entitled to his opinion, I guess. But I think the Outlook and Acadia interiors are better from a design perspective.

They are very nice too...well except how the door panels don't match :P

There's something to be said about the way Toyota (along with Honda and some other brands) integrate their buttons, knobs, and displays into the dash...and look different from vehicle to vehicle...as opposed to the same square set of controls and stereos appearing in every car.

Well, you've seen me complain about GMs corporate radio insert as much as anyone else. But I don't care how well integrated your buttons are, when your regular stereo display looks like it came right off a decade-old CD player you lose a lot of points.

I'm also not a big fan of Toyota's new staggered dashboard design kick. I don't like it on the Rav4 and I don't like it here.

I've always loved the Acura TL's interior.

Posted Image

And the 08 CTS is exactly the kind of interior I love as well.

Posted Image

Just wanted to give you (O.C. and Dodgefan) an idea of what kind of interior design language I like so you wouldn't think I was just picking on Toyota.

I've always loved the Acura TL's interior.

Posted Image

And the 08 CTS is exactly the kind of interior I love as well.

Posted Image

Just wanted to give you (O.C. and Dodgefan) an idea of what kind of interior design language I like so you wouldn't think I was just picking on Toyota.

I love the CTS's design...and it also has integrated controls...it makes the car's interior unique and special.