Lutz Confirms: More Models for Buick!

buickguy

From today's Detroit Free Press

Meanwhile, GM has decided to add models to its Buick brand Vice Chairman Bob Lutz said. Fuelled by the success of Buick’s new Enclave SUV and strong showings in customer satisfaction and quality surveys, “there’s now a consensus within GM that Buick is alive and well and can appeal to young people,” Lutz said. Buick was widely considered to be a candidate for elimination just a couple of years ago.

Buick is alive and well?

Hmmm. Pre-Lucerne, Buick had rigamortis

Then with Lucerne, it was in a coma, but had a heartbeat

Now, with Enclave, it's one step above Terry Schivo.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited by the prospect of a strong and thriving Buick. However, "alive and well" doesn't yet apply.

Cadillac isn't even completely well, though very much alive.

A few of the people within my company keep insisting that Buick & Pontiac

will not see the mid teens (201X) and when I said "what about the Enclave,

Solstice and G8" I was told: all those core products will go to chevy.

Riiiiiiiiiiight! <_<

buickguy: Thank you for spotting this!

It should be fairly easy to figure out what Buick in North America will get by watching Buick in China. So I'd say the additional models could be a Riviera first (in fact, I could swear I read that GM said it'd have an announcement about that at the L.A. or Detroit Auto Show) and, a few years later, the NG Park Avenue will take the place of the Lucerne. Other possibilities: a smaller crossover and a smaller sedan - if China is doing these. But I'd say no to Velite - too much time has gone by, and the Enclave and the Riviera concept ("the new global face of Buick") are the new design templates.

Edited by wildcat

Well, if that is the case, I would expect a TE-based X-Over (mini Enclave), perhaps a Delta sedan, and also perhaps an MPV, though I'm doubtful on that.

Do you have a link to this article, I couldn't find it?

Here you go sir.

GM has high hopes for the Chevy Malibu

September 11, 2007

By MARK PHELAN

FREE PRESS AUTO CRITIC

FRANKFURT, Germany – General Motors top two executives said they expect the 2008 Chevrolet Malibu to far exceed the current model’s sales and win customers from other brands in the huge and fiercely competitive midsize sedan market.

“We see big upside for the Malibu. It could do a lot better” than the current model, GM chairman Rick Wagoner said. The current Malibu was GM’s third-best selling car with 163,853 sales last year. “A lot better,” he added with emphasis, saying that GM has ambitious internal goals for the midsize sedan that goes on sale in November.

In wide ranging interviews at the auto show here Tuesday, Wagoner and GM vice chairman Bob Lutz spoke optimistically of the company’s plans for expansion at home in North America and in developing markets around the world.

Wagoner said GM is looking at several options to boost its sales in Southeast Asia, including a possible deal with Malaysian automaker Proton, and that the company may expanding in the fast-growing Russian market.

Meanwhile, GM has decided to add models to its Buick brand Vice Chairman Bob Lutz said. Fuelled by the success of Buick’s new Enclave SUV and strong showings in customer satisfaction and quality surveys, “there’s now a consensus within GM that Buick is alive and well and can appeal to young people,” Lutz said. Buick was widely considered to be a candidate for elimination just a couple of years ago.

link:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...NESS01/70911042

Here you go sir.

GM has high hopes for the Chevy Malibu

September 11, 2007

By MARK PHELAN

FREE PRESS AUTO CRITIC

FRANKFURT, Germany – General Motors top two executives said they expect the 2008 Chevrolet Malibu to far exceed the current model’s sales and win customers from other brands in the huge and fiercely competitive midsize sedan market.

“We see big upside for the Malibu. It could do a lot better” than the current model, GM chairman Rick Wagoner said. The current Malibu was GM’s third-best selling car with 163,853 sales last year. “A lot better,” he added with emphasis, saying that GM has ambitious internal goals for the midsize sedan that goes on sale in November.

In wide ranging interviews at the auto show here Tuesday, Wagoner and GM vice chairman Bob Lutz spoke optimistically of the company’s plans for expansion at home in North America and in developing markets around the world.

Wagoner said GM is looking at several options to boost its sales in Southeast Asia, including a possible deal with Malaysian automaker Proton, and that the company may expanding in the fast-growing Russian market.

link:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...NESS01/70911042

Thanks.

Currently, no TE Buick is planned anywhere, but there are Deltas (hatch, sedan) planned for China along with an MPV. These could probably be converted for sale in the US pretty easily, but they wouldn't be here until late 09/early '10 at the earliest. I would like to see a LaCrosse coupe (a la Riveria concept) but that isn't in the plan currently.

Thanks.

Currently, no TE Buick is planned anywhere, but there are Deltas (hatch, sedan) planned for China along with an MPV. These could probably be converted for sale in the US pretty easily, but they wouldn't be here until late 09/early '10 at the earliest. I would like to see a LaCrosse coupe (a la Riveria concept) but that isn't in the plan currently.

You are welcome.

Buick is alive and well?

Hmmm. Pre-Lucerne, Buick had rigamortis

Then with Lucerne, it was in a coma, but had a heartbeat

Now, with Enclave, it's one step above Terry Schivo.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited by the prospect of a strong and thriving Buick. However, "alive and well" doesn't yet apply.

Cadillac isn't even completely well, though very much alive.

Please dear God, someone give Buick some water! :P

who woulda thunk it?

give a brand a car that sets itself apart but also is right on with the trends and you have a success. guess a car that is ten years behind the current design fads is a lesson well learned [Lucerne Lacrosse].

of course both Pontiac and Buick have life in them. Throw &#036;h&#33; at consumers and they will run away and not give you second notice. Throw a nice piece of filet for sirloin prices and you've got a deal.

They are near dead, sales are down this year, they have been down 20% of more several months in a row. The Enclave gets outsold by 40 or so other SUVs

If they made a really good Malibu and Impala there would be less need for Buick. The 08 Malibu exterior is one of the best looking cars I think, I wish the interior were better though. Buick won't ever appeal to young people, they are the car of the baby-boomer's parents. I know there is a market for a soft-quiet near luxury car, but there are cars that fit that market much better than the dated Buicks. If Buick made a class leader, I'd say they are worth keeping, but they don't.

Considering the quality, reliability and satisfaction, I think Buick has earned the right to stay, IMO it'd be a sin to kill them after all they've accomplished against Lexus so far :). All Buick needs in exposure, good advertising to help it shed its stigma... Its sales in China help too.

smk aka "debbie downer" is back.

He needs to ask his parents to let him out for a while and he can see that the Enclave is a class leader.

Dropping a brand doesn't help Chevy. It just hurts GM.

Buick is the highest ranked GM brand in quality. #1 tied with Lexus.

Enclave sales are growing, and the vehicle is flying off lots.

They are near dead, sales are down this year, they have been down 20% of more several months in a row. The Enclave gets outsold by 40 or so other SUVs

If they made a really good Malibu and Impala there would be less need for Buick. The 08 Malibu exterior is one of the best looking cars I think, I wish the interior were better though. Buick won't ever appeal to young people, they are the car of the baby-boomer's parents. I know there is a market for a soft-quiet near luxury car, but there are cars that fit that market much better than the dated Buicks. If Buick made a class leader, I'd say they are worth keeping, but they don't.

The Enclave is still getting ramped up. Give it 2 more months then see how it's selling. Obviously, when there are 9k orders, it's doing well.

You don't just give up a brand that is tops in quality that easily. I do think there was a wait and see on the Enclave. If such a great vehicle couldn't make a splash in the market place then the brand name really was dead. The Enclave has proven otherwise.

The 08 Malibu exterior is one of the best looking cars I think,

I think the new Malibu is weak like Steve Urkel.

Dull, predictable & safe, just what the Cam-Cord crowd loves. :rolleyes:

There is a segment of the population to whom that appeals..... and they buy over 500,000 cars a year.

Yes...the mainstream family sedan is the biggest market segment..something like 2 million cars a year....Camry, Accord, Fusion, Malibu, etc..

Never underestimate how many people are content with vanilla.

I'm not a huge fan of the current lineup of two FWD Buicks....

but they are ANYTHING but boring!

I'm not a huge fan of the current lineup of two FWD Buicks....

but they are ANYTHING but boring!

The Lucerne isn't bad, but the LaCrosse is just another dull GM rental car and has warmed over Taurus styling.

With the addition of the new grille it stands out much

more than a taurus or Cam-Cord. I'm not saying it

gets an A+ in the styling dept. but it IS unique anough

IMHO to not be a cookie cutter. That being said Buick

NEEDS a Zeta to be trully world class.

who woulda thunk it?

give a brand a car that sets itself apart but also is right on with the trends and you have a success. guess a car that is ten years behind the current design fads is a lesson well learned [Lucerne Lacrosse].

of course both Pontiac and Buick have life in them. Throw &#036;h&#33; at consumers and they will run away and not give you second notice. Throw a nice piece of filet for sirloin prices and you've got a deal.

:yes:

If Buick made a class leader, I'd say they are worth keeping, but they don't.

Can I have some of that Japan Inc. brand kool aid?

If you don't think the Enclave is class leading, then you're on crack (And not the high dollar kind either)

It's funny how it's always the import 'oriented' people who want to axe american divisions. Hmmm...

Buick won't ever appeal to young people, they are the car of the baby-boomer's parents. I know there is a market for a soft-quiet near luxury car, but there are cars that fit that market much better than the dated Buicks. If Buick made a class leader, I'd say they are worth keeping, but they don't.

im 25 and i will say without a doubt, if buick brought back the grand national or a V8 GS al a G8 platform, they would have my dollars hands down. buick used to be known for luxury muscle and i for one am confident that they can do that again given the resources. i'll even settle for a lowly t-type regal if thats feesable.

With the addition of the new grille it stands out much

more than a taurus or Cam-Cord. I'm not saying it

gets an A+ in the styling dept. but it IS unique anough

IMHO to not be a cookie cutter. That being said Buick

NEEDS a Zeta to be trully world class.

I agree with 68 here.

The new Lacross grill, in person, majorly improves the look of the car. I saw an Enclave, 08 Lacross, and 07 Lucerne sitting next to each other in the lot. The Lucerne suddenly looks very dated.

I think the new Malibu is weak like Steve Urkel.

Dull, predictable & safe, just what the Cam-Cord crowd loves. :rolleyes:

Well, Steve Urkel did have personality, he made Family Matters what it was. Lets hope the Malibu does the same thing.

If the next gen LaX/Regal will be Eps II, then it will be the size of the current Impala, which is a large car. A model fitting beneath that could work in the Buick portfolio IF it is done in the elegant, luxurious Buick way.

So after going from 7 models to 3 in about 3 years they are doing better...hmm.

Hate to:

:deadhorse:

But Buick is absolutely doing better with few models. Instead of wasting money on 7 bad models, Buick is in a much better position selling three really good models. Granted, they are not there yet, but the only brand under GM that can and should only support a full line of cars and trucks is Chevrolet. With fewer models, you have a less of a chance of GM hemorrhaging money trying to make sure all the other cars sell well. Too many models is what got GM in trouble in the first place. I don't understand how people still don't see that.

Buick's out of time. Game over.

It would take a minor miracle for Buick to grow its sales on a consistent basis AND be seen by the coast markets as a hip alternative to any number of great offerings out there. All while surviving GM's "channel strategy" which helps solidify Buick's non-special status and pedestrian feel. This is more bogus Lutz spin. He's probably talking about the next LaX without qualifying that the old LaX will also be taken out of production making it seem that products are being "added." And a Cobalt Skylark or a Torrent whatever will fail if that's what the braintrust has in mind.

BTW, the so-called "quality" rankings on which Lutz's statement might have been made are also a joke. The old Regals (which supposedly did so well by JD Power standards) loved to cough up their power steering pumps at around 70,000 miles. Nothing of the kind would ever happen at such low mileage and on a large scale with a Lexus or Toyota comparable product. But then again, 70,000 miles is out of JD Power's 3 year long-term durability range (usually 36,000 to 45,000 miles are typically driiven for that period of time).

This is the best it's gonna get. For you cheerleaders here who actually buy new Buicks (population 1), get 'em while you can.

It would take a minor miracle for Buick to grow its sales on a consistent basis AND be seen by the coast markets as a hip alternative to any number of great offerings out there. All while surviving GM's "channel strategy" which helps solidify Buick's non-special status and pedestrian feel. This is more bogus Lutz spin. He's probably talking about the next LaX without qualifying that the old LaX will also be taken out of production making it seem that products are being "added." And a Cobalt Skylark or a Torrent whatever will fail if that's what the braintrust has in mind.

BTW, the so-called "quality" rankings on which Lutz's statement might have been made are also a joke. The old Regals (which supposedly did so well by JD Power standards) loved to cough up their power steering pumps at around 70,000 miles. Nothing of the kind would ever happen at such low mileage and on a large scale with a Lexus or Toyota comparable product. But then again, 70,000 miles is out of JD Power's 3 year long-term durability range (usually 36,000 to 45,000 miles are typically driiven for that period of time).

This is the best it's gonna get. For you cheerleaders here who actually buy new Buicks (population 1), get 'em while you can.

Accord/Odyssey/TL - all cough up transmissions between 40k and 80k

4-cylinder camrys/corollas/Rav4s - all have major sludge issues

RX has steering wheels that fall off

4-runner loses it's front ball joint

Accord/Odyssey/TL - all cough up transmissions between 40k and 80k

4-cylinder camrys/corollas/Rav4s - all have major sludge issues

RX has steering wheels that fall off

4-runner loses it's front ball joint

How dare you questions Toyota's ability to be absolutely perfect?!

Just joking. Yea buyacargetacheck, that was a little premature of a statement to make. Aside from the fact that obviously Toyota and Lexus have their own problems (and the fact that my 70,000+ Regal has a fantastic power steering pump as well as everything else since I bought it) Buick has sustained industry leading fullsize sedan sales, it not only gave a place to put poor-selling Aztek parts, but actually ended up doing the exact opposite of the Aztek and sell consistently and well (and it was only the Rendezvous), and it tops the charts in long-term-reliability with precious saintly Lexus, and maybe, just maybe (it's a thought) Buick earned that spot.

It's premature to expect Lutz would not promise to deliver on one or two more vehicles. They promised it'd get down to 3, and they hadn't considered the next generation by that point... Enclave was the goal at the time. It is now that time and it's not unreasonable (with the rise of excitement in Buick) to expand their lineup, especially with vehicles following the quality, style, and attention to detail Buick has given the Enclave.

These are valid arguments for Buick's long term survival. Throwing away a successful brand when executed right (or even awkwardly as the Rendezvous showed) Buick can sell, and it can sell well. And the quality keeps the financially responsible within GMs grasps since they are the best sorts you want to be buying your vehicles.

what would lexus sell thats comparable to the regal? just curious. which year was the ps boxes going out?

i love this guy.

for the side of me that GM [and others] has taught to be a dour realist and lower my expectations, I always find myself :yes:

someone in this thread who thinks the lacrosse looks more exciting or unique than Camry needs to get thier eyes checked. the lacrosse really does not look like it belongs in this century. compare it to modern design like in the altima, G35, camry....and you will see what I mean. Yes, the Camry is a better design than the Lax; maybe in base form the Camry is pretty dull, but the straightforward elegant lines are still in place and the Camry still looks like a fresh upscale family car, even in base form. The Lax looks like a rental car that should have been out of production years ago, along with many others in the GM lineup.

I like the Lucerne a lot more; it looks stately. But it blends in too too much and doesn't look like a car costing up to 40k should look like. Also, there is no pretense of nimble-ness with it. Finally the design aesthetic, the look that's supposed to signify it's a Buick, is not there. It looks like any other car. For all these reasons, the Lucerne fails to draw almost anybody but blue-hair comfort-seekers in. Even those buyers are rapidly being ceded to Lex/Toy.

Edited by turbo200

Agreed.

Look at a 97-2000 Buick used and see what condition the paint is in. They do well in 3 year reliability, but not 10 year. Buick says will keep dropping, they serve a purpose for a few more years while their core buyers are alive, but after that they are useless. Obviously Saab should die first in the fewer, but better models plan, but Buick (like Mercury) is on death watch. When they redo the Impala it should be nicer than the Lucerne or Chrysler 300, the Malibu LTZ could have a better interior too.

In hindsight, Oldsmobile was really a blend of what they have been trying to make Buick, Saturn and Pontiac. Olds had some luxury, some performance, and some import fighter ability. Maybe they should have kept them and pumped a lot of money in 1 brand, rather than a little money into 3 brands and dilute resources. Would have given them a better Chevy-Olds-Cadillac hierarchy. Might have failed, but could have worked.