Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
buickguy

Lutz Confirms: More Models for Buick!

65 posts in this topic

From today's Detroit Free Press

Meanwhile, GM has decided to add models to its Buick brand Vice Chairman Bob Lutz said. Fuelled by the success of Buick’s new Enclave SUV and strong showings in customer satisfaction and quality surveys, “there’s now a consensus within GM that Buick is alive and well and can appeal to young people,” Lutz said. Buick was widely considered to be a candidate for elimination just a couple of years ago.

Buick is alive and well?

Hmmm. Pre-Lucerne, Buick had rigamortis

Then with Lucerne, it was in a coma, but had a heartbeat

Now, with Enclave, it's one step above Terry Schivo.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited by the prospect of a strong and thriving Buick. However, "alive and well" doesn't yet apply.

Cadillac isn't even completely well, though very much alive.

So after going from 7 models to 3 in about 3 years they are doing better...hmm.

Well, if that is the case, I would expect a TE-based X-Over (mini Enclave), perhaps a Delta sedan, and also perhaps an MPV, though I'm doubtful on that.

Do you have a link to this article, I couldn't find it?

A few of the people within my company keep insisting that Buick & Pontiac

will not see the mid teens (201X) and when I said "what about the Enclave,

Solstice and G8" I was told: all those core products will go to chevy.

Riiiiiiiiiiight! <_<

Please let it be one of these:

Posted Image

and and one of these

Posted Image

Edited by K.C.

buickguy: Thank you for spotting this!

It should be fairly easy to figure out what Buick in North America will get by watching Buick in China. So I'd say the additional models could be a Riviera first (in fact, I could swear I read that GM said it'd have an announcement about that at the L.A. or Detroit Auto Show) and, a few years later, the NG Park Avenue will take the place of the Lucerne. Other possibilities: a smaller crossover and a smaller sedan - if China is doing these. But I'd say no to Velite - too much time has gone by, and the Enclave and the Riviera concept ("the new global face of Buick") are the new design templates.

Edited by wildcat

Well, if that is the case, I would expect a TE-based X-Over (mini Enclave), perhaps a Delta sedan, and also perhaps an MPV, though I'm doubtful on that.

Do you have a link to this article, I couldn't find it?

Here you go sir.

GM has high hopes for the Chevy Malibu

September 11, 2007

By MARK PHELAN

FREE PRESS AUTO CRITIC

FRANKFURT, Germany – General Motors top two executives said they expect the 2008 Chevrolet Malibu to far exceed the current model’s sales and win customers from other brands in the huge and fiercely competitive midsize sedan market.

“We see big upside for the Malibu. It could do a lot better” than the current model, GM chairman Rick Wagoner said. The current Malibu was GM’s third-best selling car with 163,853 sales last year. “A lot better,” he added with emphasis, saying that GM has ambitious internal goals for the midsize sedan that goes on sale in November.

In wide ranging interviews at the auto show here Tuesday, Wagoner and GM vice chairman Bob Lutz spoke optimistically of the company’s plans for expansion at home in North America and in developing markets around the world.

Wagoner said GM is looking at several options to boost its sales in Southeast Asia, including a possible deal with Malaysian automaker Proton, and that the company may expanding in the fast-growing Russian market.

Meanwhile, GM has decided to add models to its Buick brand Vice Chairman Bob Lutz said. Fuelled by the success of Buick’s new Enclave SUV and strong showings in customer satisfaction and quality surveys, “there’s now a consensus within GM that Buick is alive and well and can appeal to young people,” Lutz said. Buick was widely considered to be a candidate for elimination just a couple of years ago.

link:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...NESS01/70911042

Here you go sir.

GM has high hopes for the Chevy Malibu

September 11, 2007

By MARK PHELAN

FREE PRESS AUTO CRITIC

FRANKFURT, Germany – General Motors top two executives said they expect the 2008 Chevrolet Malibu to far exceed the current model’s sales and win customers from other brands in the huge and fiercely competitive midsize sedan market.

“We see big upside for the Malibu. It could do a lot better” than the current model, GM chairman Rick Wagoner said. The current Malibu was GM’s third-best selling car with 163,853 sales last year. “A lot better,” he added with emphasis, saying that GM has ambitious internal goals for the midsize sedan that goes on sale in November.

In wide ranging interviews at the auto show here Tuesday, Wagoner and GM vice chairman Bob Lutz spoke optimistically of the company’s plans for expansion at home in North America and in developing markets around the world.

Wagoner said GM is looking at several options to boost its sales in Southeast Asia, including a possible deal with Malaysian automaker Proton, and that the company may expanding in the fast-growing Russian market.

link:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...NESS01/70911042

Thanks.

Currently, no TE Buick is planned anywhere, but there are Deltas (hatch, sedan) planned for China along with an MPV. These could probably be converted for sale in the US pretty easily, but they wouldn't be here until late 09/early '10 at the earliest. I would like to see a LaCrosse coupe (a la Riveria concept) but that isn't in the plan currently.

Thanks.

Currently, no TE Buick is planned anywhere, but there are Deltas (hatch, sedan) planned for China along with an MPV. These could probably be converted for sale in the US pretty easily, but they wouldn't be here until late 09/early '10 at the earliest. I would like to see a LaCrosse coupe (a la Riveria concept) but that isn't in the plan currently.

You are welcome.

Thanks.

Currently, no TE Buick is planned anywhere, but there are Deltas (hatch, sedan) planned for China along with an MPV.

'TE' ?

TE is what the "BRX" and "9-4x" are going to be on, also known as "Theta-Epsilon".

Hmmm...interesting. A blending of parts of Theta and Epsilon, I presume?

any chance the laX/regal could be a sedan/coupe duo?

velite/riviera halo car

park ave replace lucurne as mid range car for buick

enclave.

does buick need a delta car? a TE vehicle? does it need a poll?

Does Buick Need a Delta?

One as small as the Cobalt, no.

One bigger than the Cobalt but smaller than Regal? Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to have a new Special or Skylark...

Buick is alive and well?

Hmmm. Pre-Lucerne, Buick had rigamortis

Then with Lucerne, it was in a coma, but had a heartbeat

Now, with Enclave, it's one step above Terry Schivo.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited by the prospect of a strong and thriving Buick. However, "alive and well" doesn't yet apply.

Cadillac isn't even completely well, though very much alive.

Please dear God, someone give Buick some water! :P

who woulda thunk it?

give a brand a car that sets itself apart but also is right on with the trends and you have a success. guess a car that is ten years behind the current design fads is a lesson well learned [Lucerne Lacrosse].

of course both Pontiac and Buick have life in them. Throw &#036;h&#33; at consumers and they will run away and not give you second notice. Throw a nice piece of filet for sirloin prices and you've got a deal.

It's great to know that the General finally realizes that it has an asset in Buick. Now I would like to see a little less talk and a lot more action with the new products. Buick (and Pontiac for that matter) desperately need them.

They are near dead, sales are down this year, they have been down 20% of more several months in a row. The Enclave gets outsold by 40 or so other SUVs

If they made a really good Malibu and Impala there would be less need for Buick. The 08 Malibu exterior is one of the best looking cars I think, I wish the interior were better though. Buick won't ever appeal to young people, they are the car of the baby-boomer's parents. I know there is a market for a soft-quiet near luxury car, but there are cars that fit that market much better than the dated Buicks. If Buick made a class leader, I'd say they are worth keeping, but they don't.

Considering the quality, reliability and satisfaction, I think Buick has earned the right to stay, IMO it'd be a sin to kill them after all they've accomplished against Lexus so far :). All Buick needs in exposure, good advertising to help it shed its stigma... Its sales in China help too.

smk aka "debbie downer" is back.

He needs to ask his parents to let him out for a while and he can see that the Enclave is a class leader.

Dropping a brand doesn't help Chevy. It just hurts GM.

Buick is the highest ranked GM brand in quality. #1 tied with Lexus.

Enclave sales are growing, and the vehicle is flying off lots.

They are near dead, sales are down this year, they have been down 20% of more several months in a row. The Enclave gets outsold by 40 or so other SUVs

If they made a really good Malibu and Impala there would be less need for Buick. The 08 Malibu exterior is one of the best looking cars I think, I wish the interior were better though. Buick won't ever appeal to young people, they are the car of the baby-boomer's parents. I know there is a market for a soft-quiet near luxury car, but there are cars that fit that market much better than the dated Buicks. If Buick made a class leader, I'd say they are worth keeping, but they don't.

The Enclave is still getting ramped up. Give it 2 more months then see how it's selling. Obviously, when there are 9k orders, it's doing well.

You don't just give up a brand that is tops in quality that easily. I do think there was a wait and see on the Enclave. If such a great vehicle couldn't make a splash in the market place then the brand name really was dead. The Enclave has proven otherwise.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0