Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Flybrian

So I want to buy a Jaguar

43 posts in this topic

A 1997 X300 (XJ6). Two owner, 135,XXXmi, 4.0 litre slant six. These late night photos don't do it justice; its an exceptional car and I can buy it for ~$4000. The second owner (a bishop at a local church who has bought a few cars from us) had some work done to it and its in great running condition. Original, blemish-free paint, great interior, and so on.

dsc02457ok5.jpg

dsc02459wq8.jpg

dsc02463qx0.jpg

dsc02460fo5.jpg

dsc02462nt0.jpg

Just a thought.... :scratchchin:

Is that frost on the roof and trunk, or just condensation?

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Condensation. Its friggin' 70 outside.

Pretty sure its a FL baby all the way. Need to run an AutoCheck to confirm, though.

Those are nice, do you have a local independent shop that specializes in Jags?

How reliable were those Jags? Looks like it's in great shape.

How reliable were those Jags? Looks like it's in great shape.

Yeah, don't Jags have wiring issues?

I think the Ford-era Jags definitely are more reliable than the older ones...

First, for 4 grand, I would probably buy it. However, you do need to know that Jags, even those of the late Ford era, are still prone to lots of problems, especially electrical. If ANYTHING breaks (and given the cars age and mileage, something will break sooner rather than later), it will be extremely expensive to fix. I am not just talking the occasional $500-1000 service; I am talking about repair work that could cost you more than what you paid for the car.

No. They have character.

Reliability isn't any more of an issue than other cars of that era.

Don't let that get in the way...

If you dont buy it, I will. It will give me a reason to wear that purple velvet hat I bought the other day.

Fly... Now you have me looking into Jaguars again.. I hate you. :P

Despite having 180k and having a horrible interior treatment, this one is really nice. For $3k, I could make it work. It's a quite thorough description, with lots of pictures, too. It seems to be in stellar running condition. Clicky

Sure is a nice Jag, Fly....

So, you going to buy it ... or just still thinking about it?

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Windows open on the rest of the world" ... Suzy Bogguss ... 'Drive South'

So like, does anybody around here take an interest in GOOD cars anymore or what? Between $h! like this and everybody crapping their pants every time some FWD 80's piece of $h! with T-Type badges glued onto it pops up on eBay Motors I wonder where everybody's good taste went. Does anybody have any neat old cars or trucks they have an interest in? Is there a '68 Buick or '55 Oldsmobile on somebody's front lawn you drive by every day on the way to work that grows on you a little bit more every time you glance at it? A 1980's Caprice or GMC truck, even? Anybody?

Fly, if you buy this thing, then good luck. The repair bills will soon eclipse the purchase price of the vehicle and you'll wonder why you didn't get something that was a lot more fun, a lot more interesting, and made a lot more sense. Did this car have its cylinder head redone at 120,000 miles as recommended? If not, then watch out because it's a ticking time bomb. Check the acidity of the coolant, or better yet just flush it and refill it right away as the Jaguar I6's are incredibly prone to head gasket failure. Some of their water pumps are also prone to impeller failure resulting in over heating which also leads to head gasket failure and head warpage. Timing chain tensioners are another thing that love to go in these cars, they have oil pressure issues when cornering, and the list goes on. But, if you really can't live without a burl wood shifter knob and rock hard uncomfortable leather seats that European car manufacturers are famous for then this tarted up English Ford with a cat on the hood is right up your alley, I guess.

First, for 4 grand, I would probably buy it. However, you do need to know that Jags, even those of the late Ford era, are still prone to lots of problems, especially electrical. If ANYTHING breaks (and given the cars age and mileage, something will break sooner rather than later), it will be extremely expensive to fix. I am not just talking the occasional $500-1000 service; I am talking about repair work that could cost you more than what you paid for the car.

Yes..that's the big problem with buying high mileage luxury cars..sure, the entry price may be low, but the repair costs over time will be double, triple, etc the purchase price...that's what my sister found out with her old Benzes...expect to spend $2-5k annually to keep it running..

Edited by moltar

XP715 pretty much says what I'm thinking. You'd have to pay me to own a Jaguar, just because of those repair bills.

A buddy in high-school had an XJ6 that he picked up for a song. He loved to brag about his plush, British car. However, it was always fun to point out what DIDN'T work, like the rear windows, and locks, and all the creaks, and strange noises.

That Jag is gone, and now he drives another XJ6, which is already beginning to mess up. :rolleyes:

He always ridicules me for driving 'Domestic' but at least my 18 year old truck's power windows, and locks still work just fine.

Edited by Captainbooyah

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0