Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
regfootball

HONDA AND DRIVER...ER...CAR AND DRIVER MIDSIZE TEST Mar 08

51 posts in this topic

third.

4 cylinder automatics (as tested price listed)

7. Avenger SXT - 20,195

6. Fusion SEL - 26,945 (note Fusion gets new engine for 09)

5. Camry LE - 23,883

4. Sonata Limited - 24,485 (must be an 09, it has a new interior)

3. Malibu LT - 21,905

2. Altima 2.5S 23,665 (despite some drivers hating the CVT)

1. who else? - 24,495

Edited by regfootball

0-60/5-60/quartermile/mpg

7. Avenger 9.0/9.3/16.8/26

6. Fusion 9.5/10.1/17.3/24

5. Camry 8.9/8.8/17.0/26

4. Sonata 8.8/9.0/16.8/25

3. Malibu 8.7/9.1/16.7/24

2. Altima 7.8/7.9/16.2/23

1. Accord 8.2/8.7/16.4/25

no mazda6, no legacy, no passat, no galant, no aura, where are all the competition?

You're complaining with third? The differences between the Accord and Malibu are so minimal that picking between one or the other comes down to personal taste. They're mostly equal with either being better in certain areas. The Altima... well... It's sporty. Car And Driver likes sporty. :P

not complaining, actually. reporting.

no worries. 010 taurus will kill all these cars.

Edited by regfootball

In sales to Avis?

Its to bad the Taurus is a fullsize car and the Malibu competes w/ the Fusion in the midsize category. :P

Wow, auto Fusion is teh suck, stick with the stick. The less expensive SE probably would have jumped a spot or two. It does need an updated interior, a little more style would be nice.

I assume they mentioned the excellent ride and handling combination of the Accord, a trait many Hondas have exhibited over the years. I would say they got the top 3 right, you cant go wrong with any of them. Though I'd take an Accord coupe over any of the sedans.

fusion gets new just about everything in 09.

they liked the chevy but for some reason went altima at number 2. i will have to go back and reread. their praise for the honda was consistent with their track record and was filled with man love about the car just like their man love for the 3 series.

truth be told, i would at least test drive the accord, but the interior and exterior styling drive me away from the car big time. Honda blew it with styling on this car.

Now with the C/D test pretty much everyone has compared the midsizers. The Malibu has done well, now lets see whether folks actually buy the car.

The Malibu has done well, now lets see whether folks actually buy the car.

GM is increasing Malibu production by adding it to Orion with the G6... so people are buying the Malibu.

Wow, auto Fusion is teh suck, stick with the stick. The less expensive SE probably would have jumped a spot or two. It does need an updated interior, a little more style would be nice.

I assume they mentioned the excellent ride and handling combination of the Accord, a trait many Hondas have exhibited over the years. I would say they got the top 3 right, you cant go wrong with any of them. Though I'd take an Accord coupe over any of the sedans.

There is an Altima coupe now too...which means I'd still choose the Accord coupe.

And hey, the Malibu beat the Camry - that's good enough to build several months of an ad campaign around.

Edited by Duncan

The Avenger is t3h suck. I hope the new interior upgrades are drastic, and they do something about the suspension and powertrain.

Fusion sucked too, but it's being upgraded too.

Go Malibu! It kicked the Camry's ass once again. You really can't go wrong with the top 3, but if I had coupe or sedan to choose from I might pick the Accord Coupe (exterior is excellent, love the interior), although if I were picking sedans solely the Malibu with win it for me.

GM needs to continue advertising that the Camry should beware.

Edited by Dodgefan

I don't really have an issue with the Accord winning; that was a given since it's C&D we're talking about.

I do have issues with the Altima beating the Malibu.

I think the Altima is probably the most overrated mid size car on the market, and FWIW the Altima coupe is one ugly SOB. At least the Accord coupe is somewhat interesting to look at.

The Altima has more HP (both 4 and 6 cyl) and better EPA ratings (both 4 and 6) than the Malibu, it also has more interior room than the Malibu. Design is subjective, I cant find a real problem with either cars exterior, interior wise, the Malibu is fantastic in LTZ trim, the rest of the Malibu trim are ok, I wouldn't call them any better than the Altima. So why did the Malibu deserve to beat the Altima?

Edited by Satty

fusion gets new just about everything in 09.

they liked the chevy but for some reason went altima at number 2. i will have to go back and reread. their praise for the honda was consistent with their track record and was filled with man love about the car just like their man love for the 3 series.

truth be told, i would at least test drive the accord, but the interior and exterior styling drive me away from the car big time. Honda blew it with styling on this car.

Now with the C/D test pretty much everyone has compared the midsizers. The Malibu has done well, now lets see whether folks actually buy the car.

I haven't seen the article yet.....but I'm guessing the Malibu LT with its softer suspension and smaller tires (compared to the LTZ) probably didn't have the same ride-and-handling compromise that C&D has raved about in the past.....slotting the sportier Altima one step ahead.

Way I look at it....is that ANY GM car that can finish within the top three of such a large comparison test is only due praise....

The Altima has more HP (both 4 and 6 cyl) and better EPA ratings (both 4 and 6) than the Malibu, it also has more interior room than the Malibu. Design is subjective, I cant find a real problem with either cars exterior, interior wise, the Malibu is fantastic in LTZ trim, the rest of the Malibu trim are ok, I wouldn't call them any better than the Altima. So why did the Malibu deserve to beat the Altima?

I agree......

While I'd be inclined to purchase a Malibu over an Altima, I can say honestly that the Altima still has a higher-quality interior.......

I wonder how much the 6-speed auto would have helped the Malibu. Offering a class-exclusive (I believe) feature such as a 6-speed on a 4cyl may have gotten some high praise.

I don't really have an issue with the Accord winning; that was a given since it's C&D we're talking about.

I do have issues with the Altima beating the Malibu.

I think the Altima is probably the most overrated mid size car on the market, and FWIW the Altima coupe is one ugly SOB. At least the Accord coupe is somewhat interesting to look at.

G6 coupe is nicer to look at than both.

Yeah, I always liked the second gen Solara.

I agree......

While I'd be inclined to purchase a Malibu over an Altima, I can say honestly that the Altima still has a higher-quality interior.......

the altimas plastic is an improvement but its door and seat fabric is nasty bad. plus, its all very monotone dreadful and dreary. this ain't 1994 anymore.

the nissans do well in test numbers lately due to the CVT, but that is wide open droning engine testing. In this test I would have expected the CVT to help mileage more than it did.

the altima reminds me of the last gen bonneville in terms of style. somewhat overdone and gaudy.

they certainly could have waited with this test to get the 6 speed on the bu.

GM needs to go on a huge camry offensive. kick toyota in the nuts. recognize that honda is still a good product that the honda faithful will not really depart from. but i think they can really build off the mo and start to eat at the camry.

those of you who have seen the 09 sonata's interior (which, yeah why did they let them test an 09?) will have to comment. That is one nasty looking center stack.

Edited by regfootball

I wonder how much the 6-speed auto would have helped the Malibu. Offering a class-exclusive (I believe) feature such as a 6-speed on a 4cyl may have gotten some high praise.

I though so too but apparently you can get that powertrain with the VW Passat, although the VW completes in the more premium bracket of the midsize segment.

Maybe in an alternate dimension where the G6 looked like, well, not crap, otherwise you're eyesight must be impaired. :P

Well ok, it does look better than the Altima Coupe...maybe...

The Avenger is t3h suck. I hope the new interior upgrades are drastic, and they do something about the suspension and powertrain.

Fusion sucked too, but it's being upgraded too.

Go Malibu! It kicked the Camry's ass once again. You really can't go wrong with the top 3, but if I had coupe or sedan to choose from I might pick the Accord Coupe (exterior is excellent, love the interior), although if I were picking sedans solely the Malibu with win it for me.

GM needs to continue advertising that the Camry should beware.

Pretty much my opinion there. Phew, saved me a lot of typing :AH-HA_wink:

While not the worst performer---average is not exactly inspiring.

The Malibu is too heavy for a 2.4L Ecotec of this HP.

I have the same engine, trans in my Cobalt and I hate it. Slow revving and it moans.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0