Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Long Term Test: Pontiac G8 GT

Link to full article: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...photopanel..2.*

08.pontiac.g8.f34.500.jpg

The usual suspects are eyeing our 2008 Pontiac G8 GT as we cruise a free-flowing stretch of Sunset Boulevard. An aspiring starlet in a black smock that barely passes for a dress trips over a sidewalk grate, fixated on the triangular red badge of Pontiac that's sandwiched between the menacing honeycomb nostrils. Four Polo-clad rich kids in a new BMW 328 stare, chat among themselves and then rev their car's engine. The badge on our trunk says GT. In this case, it indicates a 6.0-liter V8, which means our authentic rear-wheel-drive, modern American muscle car doesn't have to indulge in such taunting to attract attention like the base-model Bavarian.

But it's not until a Rolls-Royce Phantom starts to pace us that we realize there's something really special here that everyone can recognize. White with white wheels, the massive Roller is the antithesis to our Panther Black Metallic 2008 Pontiac G8 GT. When the horn of the Rolls-Royce sounds, we think race. Instead, glaring from behind the massive wheel is a face we've seen before in television and music videos but can't put a name to. He's giving us the thumbs-up in an effortlessly cool way. We return the signal and look like dorks.

With a limited audience and limited volume, the 2008 Pontiac G8 GT will not be the car that saves Pontiac (if it needs saving). No, this car is here to show America that GM is listening and really paying attention to the kind of cars we're asking for. It's a good indication about where GM is headed.

I have seen this car silently cruising along a city street. This car has quite a deal of presence, especially in black and other darker colors. The design may not be a work of rolling sculpture, but it is designed well enough to grab your attention and hold it there until it drives out of your view.

Edited by YellowJacket894

I saw a black one at speed the other day, as it rounded a corner and the big muscular spokes

of the front rim chopped the air like the propeller of a Bf109 I couldn't help but drool & stare!

God, I'm always last to see new GM cars out here! It took me forever to see an Enclave, a LaCrosse, and a Lucerne--well, then again, those aren't exactly sold in numbers like Camry's. But I bet I won't see a G8 before July or so. I just started seeing 2008 CTS's a few weeks ago.

Alright you guys - don't hate me because I'm beautiful (okay, that was gay, but I don't get to write that very often)- but I got to test drive a red G8 GT at David Taylor B-P-GMC-Caddy here in Houston yesterday during lunch. I saw it parked out there on my way to work, so I instantly knew that I'd be giving up food for lunch to spend the time over at the dealer looking at it.

bThe sales guy (young guy in his 20s) was totally cool about letting me drive it (with him in the car of course). It was the 6.0L V8 GT, but it didn't have leather or the sunroof, and it only had the 18s - but it was still pretty sweet. My one and only gripe about the car was that it didn't have XM radio built into the OEM head unit (which I guess will be out in the 09 model). Oh, and I didn't really like the battery and oil pressure display being constantly on in the middle (2 giant, strange looking red symbols in the middle of the upper dash) - that was simply very weird IMO. But f*ck it, wouldn't keep me from buying one. So as we all know, it totally hauls ass of course. I can sum it up like this - it feels like a very big Infiniti G35 - instead with that awesome GM OHV V8 sound. Lots of room inside, which is nice. There's something nice about seeing GM starting to build some really solid bodies. There were a few CTS' and STS' parked nearby as well as a new Enclave. You know, it's refreshing to see a dealer lot of GM cars that are simply just really good cars - they all looked like very solid, well put together automobiles. I don't think even the most die hard of GM fan could really say that with a serious face back in 1998. All they need to do is get the word out to everyone that abandoned them over the years to Toyota and Honda.

Back to the G8 being a big car - I have mixed emotions about it. I wonder if GM should really start thinking about coming out with some sedans that are more in the 3400-3600 lbs. range and stuffing the DI V6 in them. Don't get me wrong, I liked the G8 a lot, but I'm wondering if that car should have been brought over as the Buick Park Avenue (with a nicer interior) - and then have a smaller, lighter RWD sedan for Pontiac that's more like a G35 or IS350 or something?

All in all - the G8 was sweet. I think I'm going to hold out for the Camaro though.

God, I'm always last to see new GM cars out here! It took me forever to see an Enclave, a LaCrosse, and a Lucerne--well, then again, those aren't exactly sold in numbers like Camry's. But I bet I won't see a G8 before July or so. I just started seeing 2008 CTS's a few weeks ago.

i have yet to see a G8 in our area, Paolino... hell, ive only recently been seeing the malibu's!

I'm sure I'll be dropping by my dealership sometime in the near future. Hopefully they'll have one on the floor. I am very happy it exists. It fits Pontiac's target market very well. It doesn't seem overlap with Buick at all, but remains a very competent vehicle.

I nearly re-smashed the Roadmaster when I saw one on the road for the first time.

Jesus, it is so amazingly good to see the American car back on the road. Big, comfortable, V8 power, style, presence...even if it is built in Austrailia.

I am the resident C&G small car fan and this thing has me in a sort of automotive lust I haven't known in a good 25 years.

Chris

...and Oh, yeah, I am at the Library writing this now. As soon as I leave here I'm headed over a few blocks to the Pontiac dealer to see this thing up close.

Chris