Testimony: Some in polygamist sect may have had kids at 13

Polygamy  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thought on Polygamy?

• I agree with it
    • I disagree with it
    • It doesn't bother me one way or the other

Link to article http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080418/ap_on_...ygamist_retreat

WOW! 416 children! :blink: Some of those poor children some have had babies at the age of 13! That is just crazy!

I don't believe in polygamy, I think it is wrong.

What are your thoughts on polygamy?

Edited by jessi_chan

I really don't care what people do with their lives necessaily, except for the effect it has on the kids. I certainly oppose 50 year old men marrying and impregnating 12 year old girls!! Um, Ewww!!! :puke: But, the fact remains for now, it is illegal. That's why these people tend to hide in these compounds, it isn't our place to feel sorry for the women because they are oppressed or missing out or something. Plenty of people in the world don't know half of what is out there in the world so they don't miss it. It's the God complex these "leaders" have. If these people are so devout and want this life then why keep them barricaded in a fantasy world if it isn't just to have sex with little girls?

This is horribly sick in every way imaginable. And you cannot really say anything other than such.

I hope no one will be offended when I say this, but the institution of some religions can be as vile as the sin it denounces. Sometimes much worse.

Edited by YellowJacket894

Polygamy, in and of itself, isn't the problem.

As partsgirl says, it is these twisted leaders that promote this sort of abuse as a "sacred right" that make it a nasty thing.

Then again, the very nature of polygamy tends to minimize the humanity of those who have to "share" a spouse.

On balance, polygamy is a pretty ugly business - and rather backward.

Polygamy, in and of itself, isn't the problem.

As partsgirl says, it is these twisted leaders that promote this sort of abuse as a "sacred right" that make it a nasty thing.

Then again, the very nature of polygamy tends to minimize the humanity of those who have to "share" a spouse.

On balance, polygamy is a pretty ugly business - and rather backward.

Precisely. As evidenced by the walled off compounds and, as seen in interviews the past few days, the most sheltered women EVER who, however poorly, deny that.

It's the abuse factor that has made this such a big thing, as well as the huge Koolaid factor of the adult women, like deer caught in the headlights now trying to speak with the "normal" (however much of an oxymoron that is) world.

I really don't care what people do with their lives necessaily, except for the effect it has on the kids. I certainly oppose 50 year old men marrying and impregnating 12 year old girls!! Um, Ewww!!! :puke: But, the fact remains for now, it is illegal. That's why these people tend to hide in these compounds, it isn't our place to feel sorry for the women because they are oppressed or missing out or something. Plenty of people in the world don't know half of what is out there in the world so they don't miss it. It's the God complex these "leaders" have. If these people are so devout and want this life then why keep them barricaded in a fantasy world if it isn't just to have sex with little girls?

I agree. I don't care what people do with their lives, but it is sick to think that a 50 year old man would even think of doing that to a child. That truly sickens me. And I do feel sorry for those women, because half of the time this life style is not their choice. They have men come into their lives and dominate them and brainwash them into thinking that this is the only right thing to do. I think of polygamy and slavery having a lot in common, I mean think about it.. the Men that owned the plantations would force the women into having sex with them and get them pregnant and force them to have their children. Therefore giving them lots of children as well as in polygamy. In slavery you are forced to work on the plantation as well as raising the children. Polygamy is mainly just having many wives and making as many children as possible, which then the women would raise the children. This is how I see slavery and polygamy as being similar.

I've met several gay and bisexual people in polyamorous relationships. Some existed with unbelievable drama, but most were handled with the highest level of maturity and sincerity. I believe there isn't a single type of relationship that's perfect for everybody or addresses everyone's needs and/or emotional capabilities. A union between one man and one woman is not the universal answer to companionship… It isn’t even the best solution for instinctively driven procreation, but I’ll digress.

I do agree that any type of relationship in the 21st century should exist between consenting adults, regardless of how many people are involved.

Any way you slice it, it's sick that this monster has been getting children pregnant and keeping these women couped up in this prison of his.

And apparently we've got another one of those insane religious sects to thank for this kind of crap, although the guy is probably screwed up in the head on his own anyway.

I've got enough drama with one wife and one kid--I think 2 or more would put me in an early grave.

I feel for these women & children--another awful example of the perversion, misuse & abuse of God by those claiming to be Holy.

I cant maintain one healthy relationship, why would I want to try 2+?

I'm with you on that but as others have said polygamy is not the real issue here.

Child abuse & irresponsible breeding habits are. The thought of some

nasty, preverted old man having sex with pre-pubecent girls is gross

and WRONG. Maybe in the middle ages they let this kind of $h! slide

but we know better today, people's life expectancy is not 35, there

is NO reason why anyone needs to have kids at 12.

I voted that it doesn't bother me....IF you consider the straight definition of "Polygamy" which is having multiple wives.

If that's what your "religion" or "beliefs" endorse, then who am I to argue? It doesn't affect me.

Looking at it another way, there's a huge portion of our (heterosexual) population that will go far out of their way to insure that I, a gay man, will never be allowed to legally marry the man I want to spend the rest of my life with.

Therefore, I can't and won't condem polygamists.

HOWEVER, clearly having sex with minors, no matter what your beliefs on marriage, IS illegal and should be condemed at all costs....and those individuals should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Personal feeling A) Polygamy is wrong.

Personal feeling B) The gov't should protect religious and personal freedoms.

Not fully heartfelt conclusion) The gov't maybe should allow polygamy, but only among consenting adults. The situation referenced is just sickening.

I've met several gay and bisexual people in polyamorous relationships. Some existed with unbelievable drama, but most were handled with the highest level of maturity and sincerity. I believe there isn't a single type of relationship that's perfect for everybody or addresses everyone's needs and/or emotional capabilities. A union between one man and one woman is not the universal answer to companionship… It isn’t even the best solution for instinctively driven procreation, but I’ll digress.

I can agree that monogamy is not right for everyone, but the sort of relationship you're talking about isn't what most people even mean when they're talking about polygamy. When I think of polygamy, I think of men treating women not as equal partners in a relationship, but as objects to be owned and collected by men, which is pretty f@#ked up even before you realize that it often leads to people engaging in pedophilia.

Polygamy and pedophilia are two separate issues.

Keep in mind that the true definition of pedophilia is sex with a prepubsecent child.

As what Ven said, I've known polygamous gay relationships that were interesting and seemed to work for those involved. It takes a great degree of self confidence and maturity to make a group work well. As a general rule I don't think most people are capable of handling one other significant other, let alone more.

Several years ago, I was involved in such a relationship. I thought I was handling it; unfortunately, it handled me.

As I've said before, as a Society we are going to have to come to terms with the fact that the so-call 'nuclear family' is defunct and new models have to be examined if we are going to move forward.

Nothing is wrong with polygamy given that individuals are old enough to determine that that is the they want to go in. If an individual at the age of 25, after weighing the alternatives, opts to enter a community marriage, then I support it whole heartedly.

The difference between that situation and virtually all polygamist sects is that people are brought up in this culture with no education or knowledge of life outside of the community. They are raised in a culture of fear, and forced into these decisions (if you can call it that) well before they have the cognitive ability to do so.