Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brougham-Holiday

442 Road Test

34 posts in this topic

That's when CARS were cars and MEN were MEN.

Notice the lack of a rollcage in that car as it

drifts, power-slides, pulls J-turns, acceleration &

70-0mph brake trials. People were allowed to

exercise personal responsibility & free will back

then.

Oh and... I thought muscle cars don't handle!? :P

The Olds Rocket V8 fights pollution!? :D

Oldsmobile 442 Road test, check it out!

3:27 - 3:33 FTW!

Did you hear that? "we're going to miss what progress takes from us" :scratchchin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htLIyzrAbx0

What a thrill to take the wheel

Of a Rocket Oldsmobile

In performance it's the star

It's a rocket engined car

Hydramatic drive is new

Futaramic styling too

With the rocket engine & whirl-away

It's a driver's dream come true!

Damn- that was a treat! Just the whole demeanor of the review was a blast of fresh air vs. today's automotive 'journalistic' entertainment.

>>"I thought muscle cars don't handle!?"<< I heard that too- must be CGI in that '72 road test... because it cornered pretty damned flat!

Hot damn, that looks like fun. REAR WHEEL DRIVE FOR THE WIN!!!

Breathtaking....God I miss Oldsmobile :angry:

Breathtaking....God I miss Oldsmobile :angry:

My sentiments exactly. I was ready to be a life-long Olds fanatic, and then after I got my license, they started killing off the brand. It broke me. It's why I'm a Buick fan now, but it still doesn't equate to my olds love.

I had a Cutlass when I was dating my wife, over 20 years ago. I still iss that car.

And god, the convertible 442 in the road test was a 4 Speed! WOW!

I'm not going to sleep tonight thinking about that car...the likes of which we will never see built here again, sadly.

Chris

Awesome video! My dad kicks himself sometimes for buying the '78 Vette instead of a '70 442 that he was looking at years ago. This vid makes me want to get an Oldsmobile for my next car.

I would just love an Olds of this generation, mustang84.

A ragtop would be just awesome, as well as a Vista Cruiser...

Chris

its a 3600 pound brute but it handles like a lightweight... in todays terms it is a lightweight.

correct me if im wrong but the narator sounds like the guy that did all the old nascar comentary back in the day.

its a 3600 pound brute but it handles like a lightweight... in todays terms it is a lightweight.

Indeed, most Cutlasses were great handling cars. Mine is just a run of the mill Supreme and the power steering still feels refreshingly light and decently weighted for a car of its vintage. And another thing that I found surprising after getting mine was that the interior feels much more compact than the exterior suggests.

Edited by YellowJacket894

my dad is still working on his 70 supreme... but with a 455 going in it. it's the gold color too, very rare....and not a convertible.

my dad is still working on his 70 supreme... but with a 455 going in it. it's the gold color too, very rare....and not a convertible.

My Supreme used to be Saturn Gold Metallic at one time as well, as proven by removing the a-pillar interior panels when those were taken out to be cleaned and repainted recently. I am seriously contemplating returning it back to the factory color.

Is your dad's '70 a notchback coupe like mine or a fastback?

Your Supreme has a color code on the underhood data plate- very easy to verify the original color right there.

My Supreme used to be Saturn Gold Metallic at one time as well, as proven by removing the a-pillar interior panels when those were taken out to be cleaned and repainted recently. I am seriously contemplating returning it back to the factory color.

Is your dad's '70 a notchback coupe like mine or a fastback?

um....notchback. just needs a motor, rear glass, exhaust..hm...not sure what else. next time he pulls it out i'll get a pic of it or steal a pic from my parents' pc.

his color...the mixed color is called autumn gold, not sure if that's the original name though.

um....notchback. just needs a motor, rear glass, exhaust..hm...not sure what else. next time he pulls it out i'll get a pic of it or steal a pic from my parents' pc.

his color...the mixed color is called autumn gold, not sure if that's the original name though.

I don't think that's the color's original name either, in fact I'm fairly certain Olds didn't have an Autumn Gold color option for 1970.

I don't think that's the color's original name either, in fact I'm fairly certain Olds didn't have an Autumn Gold color option for 1970.

So Mrs. Butterworth, does this mean you have given up on getting a new Zeta Camaro? :confused0071:

So Mrs. Butterworth, does this mean you have given up on getting a new Zeta Camaro? :confused0071:

Given up? No, not totally, PCS. My next purchase after the Cutlass will be to replace the Sonoma, more than likely, and will either be another classic or the F5 Camaro.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0