Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Polish_Kris

Hyundai Accent named Most Dependable Subcompact Car by J.D.

35 posts in this topic

That little Accent hatchback in the sportier trim level, is quite a solid, cute little cheek. I'll take mine with the factory B&M short shifter 5 speed manual with sunroof, in Apple Green.

Twenty years ago, heck even five years ago, who would've thunk it?

Good work Hyundai.

Sample size is approximately 0.6% of all new vehicles sold between November 2004 and April 2005. A fairly good size sample, but still leaves a fairly large margin for error. I don't disagree that the Accent is reliable, but who wants an Accent?

If I had one I would never have problems with it, because I'd never drive it.

Edited by siegen

Sample size is approximately 0.6% of all new vehicles sold between November 2004 and April 2005. A fairly good size sample, but still leaves a fairly large margin for error. I don't disagree that the Accent is reliable, but who wants an Accent?

Here in Canada, the small car market is huge compared to the States, here small care ARE driven by their owners.

Here in Canada, the small car market is huge compared to the States, here small care ARE driven by their owners.

Well, it's a good thing they are only $18k, since 90% of that money goes directly to Korea.

Well, it's a good thing they are only $18k, since 90% of that money goes directly to Korea.

90%? How? Many manufacturing companies are doing extraordinarily well if they're achieving a 15-20% net profit percentage, and that's before corporation tax. And it's highly unlikely Hyundai would rape its North American subsidiaries completely of what's left via a huge dividend, since that leaves no room for future investment.

Even with major parts content supplied from Korea, it's extremely unlikely that 90% of the vehicle's list price ends up there.

Edited by aatbloke

I have no problem with small cars.

90%? How? Many manufacturing companies are doing extraordinarily well if they're achieving a 15-20% net profit percentage, and that's before corporation tax. And it's highly unlikely Hyundai would rape its North American subsidiaries completely of what's left via a huge dividend, since that leaves no room for future investment.

Even with major parts content supplied from Korea, it's extremely unlikely that 90% of the vehicle's list price ends up there.

The 'margin' on a vehicle like the Accent is only about 7 %. Hyundai manufactures NOTHING in Canada and imports EVERYTHING. That means, other than paying the commission for the salesperson, and the overhead of the dealership, a couple parts warehouses and a small head office, all the money leaves this country.

At least Honda and Toyota have the courtesy to build a few vehicles here.

The 'margin' on a vehicle like the Accent is only about 7 %. Hyundai manufactures NOTHING in Canada and imports EVERYTHING. That means, other than paying the commission for the salesperson, and the overhead of the dealership, a couple parts warehouses and a small head office, all the money leaves this country.

At least Honda and Toyota have the courtesy to build a few vehicles here.

If it's imported to your country that's a different matter. Incidentally, gross margin is usually significantly different from NPP, as it doesn't take account of stock movement or overhead. Like I said, any heavy manufacturing company, particularly in the car industry, is extremely fortunate if they see 15% NPP and up.

I don't think it's discourteous not to build in every market you sell cars in. Given the unit profit on small cars is often rather low, it pays only to build them in countries with favourable labour regulations and costs.

If it's imported to your country that's a different matter. Incidentally, gross margin is usually significantly different from NPP, as it doesn't take account of stock movement or overhead. Like I said, any heavy manufacturing company, particularly in the car industry, is extremely fortunate if they see 15% NPP and up.

I don't think it's discourteous not to build in every market you sell cars in. Given the unit profit on small cars is often rather low, it pays only to build them in countries with favourable labour regulations and costs.

Thankfully, I can buy a Civic, which is a great car and built here in Ohio. Or if I go for the SI version, it's built in Canada.

Chris

...it is still a lot sexier than that abomination you were showing us in the Acura thread.

But actually, given the choice between

1. Spending my money on a current Acura product

2. Spending my money on a current Hyundai product

Or

3. Being bitten by a large, angry rabid dog...

I would choose the dog. The pain would only last a few weeks, and rabies can be dealt with by a series of shots. Painfull, yes, but better than 60 months of payments on either.

Chris

What difference does it make, when 90% of the money goes to Detroit, Mich. USA! not CANADA! When purchasing a GM in Canada.

What difference does it make, when 90% of the money goes to Detroit, Mich. USA! not CANADA! When purchasing a GM in Canada.

Give yourself a shake.

At least Toyota and Honda pay lipservice to production facilities in Canada. Hyundai has nothing more than a few warehouses and some dealers in this country. GM, Ford and Chrysler have been contributing to the Canadian economy for almost 100 years. Or did you not know that GM is the largest 'Canadian' company on the Toronto Stock Exchange? Or the Beacon Project where GM has invested well over a billion dollars in Oshawa and environs. Or all the tie-ins GM has with Georgian College. Or the design center in Oshawa that designed and builds the Impala and Equinox.

Besides, Detroit is just across the river from Windsor. Maybe some of the execs or engineers in Michigan own summer homes in Ontario and contribute to the economy that way. Or look at all the Canadians who work in Michigan (including the governor, for Gawd's sake) for the Big 2.5.

Money and investment that circulate between the Big 2.5 and North America are a net benefit to all of us. What Japan Inc and Korea does is just window dressing to allow people like you to sleep at night with the notion that your Asian POS is not killing your neighbor's jobs.

What exactly does Korea do for Canada's economy? ZERO.

Give yourself a shake.

At least Toyota and Honda pay lipservice to production facilities in Canada. Hyundai has nothing more than a few warehouses and some dealers in this country. GM, Ford and Chrysler have been contributing to the Canadian economy for almost 100 years. Or did you not know that GM is the largest 'Canadian' company on the Toronto Stock Exchange? Or the Beacon Project where GM has invested well over a billion dollars in Oshawa and environs. Or all the tie-ins GM has with Georgian College. Or the design center in Oshawa that designed and builds the Impala and Equinox.

Besides, Detroit is just across the river from Windsor. Maybe some of the execs or engineers in Michigan own summer homes in Ontario and contribute to the economy that way. Or look at all the Canadians who work in Michigan (including the governor, for Gawd's sake) for the Big 2.5.

Money and investment that circulate between the Big 2.5 and North America are a net benefit to all of us. What Japan Inc and Korea does is just window dressing to allow people like you to sleep at night with the notion that your Asian POS is not killing your neighbor's jobs.

You are one disgruntle car salesman.

Maybe because the Big Three are not giving your show room the cars people want to buy, and the Asians are, so as I was saying before, they need to wake up, at least Ford is bringing over Mercury German models, maybe Saturn should step up and bring more Opel cars over! And Chevy too, not just crossovers, and rebadged Daewoos.

Give yourself a shake.

Hyundai have no production facilities in the UK, but we don't have hoards of blue-collar workers out on the streets complaining about it. We live in a free market and if there's demand for their vehicles here, they're welcome to join in the competition to vie for prospective punters.

If you don't believe that Honda's and Toyota's production facilities don't significantly contribute to the US economy then you're very misinformed. Take Honda's Marysville and East Liberty, Ohio plants as an example: everyone, from US-based parts suppliers, to utility companies servicing it, right down to landscaping and catering businesses, benefits. The suppliers its employees decide to use to spend their hard-earned wedge on, benefit. Furthermore, every taxing jurisdiction the plant caters to, from local to state to federal level, benefits.

Why do the Ohio plants do so well? They build products the public want. During Honda's time there, it's witnessed the US Big 3 continually dwell on leviathan trucks and SUVs while paying lip-service to the market segments the Ohio plants caters to by producing sub-standard products in those segments, save for the recent Theta and stretched Epsilon platform cars, and to some extent the Cobalt. By the time the Cavalier went out of production, it was so antiquated compared to its rivals it was little more than a joke. Whatsmore, it was so poorly built, GM were essentially giving the then up-and-coming Koreans a carte blanche in the US market.

The problems faced by GM, Ford and Chrysler are all of their own doing, as even today with spiralling fuel prices, not one offers a credible line-up of modern, small cars in their domestic market, save for the likes of Vibe and Astra which themselves are the fruits of agreements with companies outside of the US.

If Honda moved out of Marysville and East Liberty - small towns close to Columbus - tomorrow and leave the USA, would GM, Ford, or Chrysler would step in to plug the gap to allow all those suppliers to regain what they've lost? Highly unlikely.

Edited by aatbloke

Hyundai have no production facilities in the UK, but we don't have hoards of blue-collar workers out on the streets complaining about it. We live in a free market and if there's demand for their vehicles here, they're welcome to join in the competition to vie for prospective punters.

If you don't believe that Honda's and Toyota's production facilities don't significantly contribute to the US economy then you're very misinformed. Take Honda's Marysville and East Liberty, Ohio plants as an example: everyone, from US-based parts suppliers, to utility companies servicing it, right down to landscaping and catering businesses, benefits. The suppliers its employees decide to use to spend their hard-earned wedge on, benefit. Furthermore, every taxing jurisdiction the plant caters to, from local to state to federal level, benefits.

Why do the Ohio plants do so well? They build products the public want. During Honda's time there, it's witnessed the US Big 3 continually dwell on leviathan trucks and SUVs while paying lip-service to the market segments the Ohio plants caters to by producing sub-standard products in those segments, save for the recent Theta and stretched Epsilon platform cars, and to some extent the Cobalt. By the time the Cavalier went out of production, it was so antiquated compared to its rivals it was little more than a joke. Whatsmore, it was so poorly built, GM were essentially giving the then up-and-coming Koreans a carte blanche in the US market.

The problems faced by GM, Ford and Chrysler are all of their own doing, as even today with spiralling fuel prices, not one offers a credible line-up of modern, small cars in their domestic market, save for the likes of Vibe and Astra which themselves are the fruits of agreements with companies outside of the US.

If Honda moved out of Marysville and East Liberty - small towns close to Columbus - tomorrow and leave the USA, would GM, Ford, or Chrysler would step in to plug the gap to allow all those suppliers to regain what they've lost? Highly unlikely.

:deadhorse:

We're talking about Hyundai here and about Canada specifically. This is not Free Trade. Trade from Korea is almost one way. Their trade deficit with Canada is obscene.

As another 80,000 Canadian manufacturing jobs have evaporated, my point is that those buying Korean cars are not helping THIS economy one iota.

Yes, at least Toyota and Honda slap together a few vehicles in Canada to avoid any future problems with NAFTA, but its nice to keep the debate on the assembly line workers, rather than on the preferred 'value-added' jobs like the metalurgists, chemists, engineers, draftspersons, etc. - all of whom are in Japan or Korea.

Please stick to subjects that you (almost) know something about, like the failed-state of manufacturing in the UK.

Please stick to subjects that you (almost) know something about, like the failed-state of manufacturing in the UK.

I was referring to your "Japan Inc" reference.

Over 1.5 million cars are built in the UK each year, of which over 70% are exported. In addition to that, a quarter of a million commercial vehicles are manufactured in the UK every year, of which 50% are exported. More car and commercial units are built here than when the Rover Group was in existence. The car industry in the UK employs over 800,000 people. So can you explained the "failed-state", or are you still living in your dreamworld where share ownership means everything and productivity means nothing?

I'm quite sure you know something about the Canadian motor industry, but you obviously know nothing about the UK or European arenas and whatsmore, evidently as little about basic economics as you do about basic accountancy.

Edited by aatbloke

We're talking about Hyundai here and about Canada specifically. This is not Free Trade. Trade from Korea is almost one way. Their trade deficit with Canada is obscene.

I'm trying to think of the products built by GM, or Ford, in Canada which could conceivably be attractive for export to ordinary Koreans and Japanese living in crowded urbanised countries with punitive motoring taxes and fuel prices exceeding $6 a gallon:

Err ... err ... err ... err ... can't think of any.

Edited by aatbloke

Great, another pissing match. :rolleyes:

Seriously, he should think about what he's talking about he starts banging on about "unfair" trading between Canada and Korea/Japan. If you insist on being different in terms of automotive tastes from the rest of the world, then you have no room for maneouvre if consequently your products don't have mass-market appeal elsewhere.

Seriously, he should think about what he's talking about he starts banging on about "unfair" trading between Canada and Korea/Japan. If you insist on being different in terms of automotive tastes from the rest of the world, then you have no room for maneouvre if consequently your products don't have mass-market appeal elsewhere.

You have a valid point here. It's common sense, really.

However, I do tend to think that the Asian manufacturers in North America have one advantage over the domestic automakers here in that they do not have Unions. The UAW, etc., have had a role in the degradation of the Big Three and the rise of Asia Inc.

However, poor management of the domestic automakers is also to blame.

But that is besides the reason why I posted what I posted. This thread has pretty much been one big argument from the start.

Edited by YellowJacket894

You have a valid point here. It's common sense, really.

However, I do tend to think that the Asian manufacturers in North America have one advantage over the domestic automakers here in that they do not have Unions. The UAW, etc., have had a role in the degradation of the Big Three and the rise of Asia Inc.

However, poor management of the domestic automakers is also to blame.

But that is besides the reason why I posted what I posted. This thread has pretty much been one big argument from the start.

There's a lot to be said for union power being detrimental to big business, especially in a more competitive world. Poor management doesn't help at all. Both were the ideal recipe in bringing down Rover, for example.