FUTURE_OF_GM

Restaurants that suck/Restaurants that excel!

83 posts in this topic

I the spirit of the 'bands that suck' thread, I thought I would start this one. I'll post some of my selections in a little while.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Sogno DiVino (for lunch) and Buon Appetito (for dinner) in San Diego's Little Italy... Excellent!

Rock Bottom, in San Diego... Terrible (the food, not necessarily the beer and appetizers)!

Restaurant that suceeds: Raising Caine's. :thumbsup:

Restaurant that fails: Shoney's. :puke:

There's this stakehouse in the village I'm living in that excels. Nice meat, they have this dish made with prawns that is just :drool:... The ones close to the place I used to work at all sucked.

Edited by ZL-1

Stone Brewery, and Hacienda de Vega in Escondido (north-east of San Diego), Excellent!

chains

good- Chili's, Red Lobster, Famous Dave's, TGIF, BUCA, Macaroni Grille, Red Robin, Don Pablos, godfathers pizza, Old Chicago, Pizzeria Uno, Big Bowl, Chipotle, Chin's, Pei Wei and whatever its parent chain is.

bad- Applebees

inbetween- Pizza Hut

will add more later.

although with this economy, i don't think anyone eats out anymore.

i love chinese buffets and mongolian joints and pizza places.....chinese places are always iffy though because they are so inconsistent.

inbetween- Pizza Hut

Pizza Hut has been inconsistent as of late. I don't even like buying from the one nearest me now because there's just something... off with it.

although with this economy, i don't think anyone eats out anymore.

It's damn near cheaper to eat at McD's than it is to cook at home these days.

Restaurants that get my approval:

Applebees, Chili's (GOD I LOVE CHILI's), Baja Fresh, Subway, Carl's Jrs/Hardees

OKay ones:

Dominoes, Pizza Hut, McDonalds

Edited by Teh Ricer Civic!

inbetween- Pizza Hut

DO NOT get the macaroni and cheese!

Papagallo's, Franina's, and Jade Garden. All awesome.

Stone Brewery, and Hacienda de Vega in Escondido (north-east of San Diego), Excellent!

Agreed!

Excellent food and beer. Very nice facility as well.

I love Stone ales. Easily my favorite brewery. Speaking of which, I need to go back down and refill my growlers...

Double Bastard ftw.

why would you get macaroni and cheese on a pizza?

I was referring to the new pastas they have...

Agreed!

Excellent food and beer. Very nice facility as well.

I love Stone ales. Easily my favorite brewery. Speaking of which, I need to go back down and refill my growlers...

Double Bastard ftw.

What sucks is, all these years I've been going to school in SD but just barely found out about the brewery and restaurant. I haven't tried the Double Bastard, but the the Arrogant and Oaked Bastard are killer, as is the Smoked Porter.

subway rocks. I've been jared lately and does help a guy slim down!

i was wondering if those new pizza hut pastas were any good. I bet they are nasty though....and laced with sodium and chemicals.

can we all agree that papa johns has the best chain delivery pizza?

that said, i love little caesars.....the crazy bread, big gut bomb but oh so good!

I was referring to the new pastas they have...

What sucks is, all these years I've been going to school in SD but just barely found out about the brewery and restaurant. I haven't tried the Double Bastard, but the the Arrogant and Oaked Bastard are killer, as is the Smoked Porter.

If you like the Smoked Porter, give their Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout a try. Pretty freaking good.

I love Oaked Bastard, and they carry it at my local bevmo which is nice. The double bastard has a great flavor to it, and a nice kick as well (somewhere around 10% if I remember correctly...) Their Levitation and Vertical Epic ales are pretty good as well.

Damn...now I'm thirsty.

I happen to be a fan of The Cheesecake Factory :AH-HA_wink:

Oh, and John Harvards... they make the ONLY beer I like.

As far as chain fast food... I like Quiznos, Panda Express, In-N-Out, Carl's Jr, and Rubio's.

Taco trucks are great, too, and now that L.A. has overturned the ordinance that banned them, I can, uh, do homework comfortably though a Friday night knowing I can always grab tacos de carnitas or lengua from Rambo's, or tacos de asada or "veggie" from Leo's, should I ever get hungry...

The "new" Pizza hut pastas are just bigger versions of the pastas I had to make when I worked at a Hut years ago. They were a pain in the ass to make back then, I'm sure its worse now.

I'll have a better idea of local restaurants after Saturday's Taste of Springfield. Its pretty sad, I've lived here 10 years (mines that year and a half in the middle) and I really haven't tried a lot of the local restaurants. I went to the Taste last year for the live music, didn't do the food. This year I'm going to see what they've got. I know I'll be disappointed just because I grew up with the Taste of Chicago, I doubt I'll be able to get fried gator in one booth, then move three booths over for cheesecake.

Edited by Satty

Stone Brewery's restaurant is disgusting. They may know beer but they don't know sh%@ about food. The onion rings are soaked in grease. The burgers are so dry that you could use it as a pumice stone. The beer however is beyond excellent!

Excellent:

Sakura - Japanese steakhouse; my new favorite place to go, every part of the meal is astoundingly delicious

That's Amore - Italian joint in Rockville, I was impressed with the tortellini I ordered

Poor:

the Phillip's on 142nd Street in Ocean City. They used to be good...now, not so much.

Stone Brewery's restaurant is disgusting. They may know beer but they don't know sh%@ about food. The onion rings are soaked in grease. The burgers are so dry that you could use it as a pumice stone. The beer however is beyond excellent!

How long ago did you go? I wonder if the restaurant wasn't as good when they just opened it up. I've only been there twice but have sampled a lot of their menu, and it's mostly pretty good.

Excellent:

Sakura - Japanese steakhouse; my new favorite place to go, every part of the meal is astoundingly delicious

That's Amore - Italian joint in Rockville, I was impressed with the tortellini I ordered

Poor:

the Phillip's on 142nd Street in Ocean City. They used to be good...now, not so much.

I went to Amici Miei, also an Italian restaurant, in Rockville... GROSS. Should have went to That's Amore instead.

How long ago did you go? I wonder if the restaurant wasn't as good when they just opened it up. I've only been there twice but have sampled a lot of their menu, and it's mostly pretty good.

I went last month on Sunday. If I ever go again, I'll have to get really drunk first.

I went last month on Sunday. If I ever go again, I'll have to get really drunk first.

Hmmm... so I guess I'll never get the burger...

Have you had the "Super Chief," at Chief's in Solana Beach? That's a good sized burger, and definitely not dry.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor