On my way back to the USA

I thank y'all for your thoughts, prayers & good wishes. He had surgery and is still in the ICU, in a drug induced coma. The hardest thing for me was to put in place his wish to never be resuscitated and to never, never be put on a ventilator. So his DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) is in place just as he wanted. I did as he asked.

Credo che sia meglio d'avere DNR. È difficile per la famiglia, però è meglio per la vita che soffre. Stai tranquillo e tutto sarà bene.

:yes: I agree.

My thoughts and prayers are with your dad, you, and your family, Borger.

Edited by ZL-1

Sorry to hear that.. I hope he gets better. The last half of '99 was rough for my Dad, he was hosptialized several times before succumbing to cancer a couple days before Xmas...flew back and forth from Colorado to Ohio 6 times in 6 months..

Sorry to hear that.. I hope he gets better. The last half of '99 was rough for my Dad, he was hosptialized several times before succumbing to cancer a couple days before Xmas...flew back and forth from Colorado to Ohio 6 times in 6 months..

Thanks, he seems to be going down hill slowly, 1st the stroke, now this, I really don't know how much more he can take. All I can say is thank God for frequent flyer miles, because back and forth from Germany to the USA can get expensive.

I was never close to my father and he went under, shall we say, sudden and scandalous circumstances over 23 years ago. I can only imagine what you must be going through.

I was never close to my father and he went under, shall we say, sudden and scandalous circumstances over 23 years ago. I can only imagine what you must be going through.

I never got along with EITHER of my parents, with yelling being the norm. I've only lost my cool with 1 or 2 friends. I've generally been on great terms with most friends, co-workers or bosses I've had.

For me, it was the cultural and educational gap. You can't have their limited viewpoint on the world and then try to raise kids who are very educated and cosmopolitan, and always think they're your little kid.

My father's passing was no surprise. It came on the heels of a few years' decline in health related to cardiac issues. It was better, actually, since my mom played nurse 24/7 for a couple of years and she needed to get some sleep.

I see that other kids/adults have better relationships with their parents and, if you do, you're lucky. You will always have that memory. It sounds like that's the case with you, B.

Edited by trinacriabob

On a side note, I figured Paolino spoke Italian (the sig gave it away) however PCS, I didn't know you spoke it too? I am from an Italian background. I can't write it too well (I attempt to when I speak to my relatives over MSN) but it's not that great.

I, too, lost my dad to cancer in January 07. I was very cose with my dad. He did all he could in this lifetime to give me a good start in life, and to try and make my mother and I feel secure and safe. Sadly, our healthcare system let my dad down. They botched up some different tests he had done, and by the time they found out he had cancer, it was in stage 2. He had an aggresive tumour and didn't respond to anything. He still lived 3 years through it all because treatments slowed the progression, but to watch someone you love deteriorate before your eyes, is never an easy thing. Doesn't matter if it's cancer, stroke, heart attack, diabetes, whatever, it still has a lasting effect on you.

Personally, I was with my dad every step of the way. I took days off work, I lent my parents money for some unexpected bills, I traded my saturn coupe in for a 4 door ION so that he could enter and exit the vehicle ok, and brought him to all his appointments, made pharmacy runs during any hour of the day or night, etc.

My point is, if you show your support to a loved one, whether they are terminally ill or just going through a difficult time, you have a sense of gratitude and peace in the long run.

Keep us updated PCS...we are all thinking of you.

On a side note, I figured Paolino spoke Italian (the sig gave it away) however PCS, I didn't know you spoke it too? I am from an Italian background. I can't write it too well (I attempt to when I speak to my relatives over MSN) but it's not that great.

I, too, lost my dad to cancer in January 07. I was very cose with my dad. He did all he could in this lifetime to give me a good start in life, and to try and make my mother and I feel secure and safe. Sadly, our healthcare system let my dad down. They botched up some different tests he had done, and by the time they found out he had cancer, it was in stage 2. He had an aggresive tumour and didn't respond to anything. He still lived 3 years through it all because treatments slowed the progression, but to watch someone you love deteriorate before your eyes, is never an easy thing. Doesn't matter if it's cancer, stroke, heart attack, diabetes, whatever, it still has a lasting effect on you.

Personally, I was with my dad every step of the way. I took days off work, I lent my parents money for some unexpected bills, I traded my saturn coupe in for a 4 door ION so that he could enter and exit the vehicle ok, and brought him to all his appointments, made pharmacy runs during any hour of the day or night, etc.

My point is, if you show your support to a loved one, whether they are terminally ill or just going through a difficult time, you have a sense of gratitude and peace in the long run.

Keep us updated PCS...we are all thinking of you.

Thanks saturndood. I am half Italian and half German. I went to school in Germany until I was 10 years old. School in Germany at that time required language courses in 3 other European languages starting at age 5. I decided on English, Italian and Spanish, German was spoken in my home, since my mom is a native German. I look Italian, but think like a German, at least that's what my father always said. I continued with my language studies when we moved to the USA, so I guess you would say I'm multi-lingual, but to this day I prefer German over English.

You were a good son to your dad!

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Aye, PCS ... very sorry about this news for you.

Thoughts/prayers coming your way....

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ... & I approve this post

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"There's just too much that time cannot erase" ... Evanescence ... 'My Immortal'

:yes: agreed 100%

I missed your post, but (odd coincidence) the subject I quoted was talked about up during dinner with a friend of mine tonight. I was telling her that the help I gave to someone was worth it even if I didn't get anything in return. In the end it made me a better person and it gave me a sense of peace and fulfillment that I was able to swallow my pride and my doubts about that person and be there when she needed me.

• 1 month later...
Thanks saturndood. I am half Italian and half German. I went to school in Germany until I was 10 years old. School in Germany at that time required language courses in 3 other European languages starting at age 5. I decided on English, Italian and Spanish, German was spoken in my home, since my mom is a native German. I look Italian, but think like a German, at least that's what my father always said. I continued with my language studies when we moved to the USA, so I guess you would say I'm multi-lingual, but to this day I prefer German over English.

You were a good son to your dad!

Sorry PC-S, I completely missed your reply until now, but thank you for your words. It's also great that you know a few different languages. Definitely can benefit you in life if you put it to the test.