douglask

James Bond in a Camry?

41 posts in this topic

Aston Martin boss Dr Ulrich Bez has told the producers of the James Bond movie franchise he will no longer pay a product placement fee to see the world's most famous spy drive a car from the British brand. Instead, the producers of the next Bond film are believed to be considering product placement money from ... Toyota.

Bez says the British brand [now owned by US giant Ford] has the style and substance to bring unmatched credibility and publicity to the Bond franchise.

He says that Bond in a Toyota Camry would do little for publicity or credibility.

The dilemma for producers of the Bond films is that other car makers are prepared to pay millions to have Bond drive and, typically, destroy their automotive wares.

Cash-rich Toyota is said to be prepared to pay big dollars to be in the Bond film.

> Full Article

One thing for sure, he won't be gettin' any chicks in a stupid Camry. That AM boss needs to have his head examined... pay the fee already, doofus!

One thing for sure, he won't be gettin' any chicks in a stupid Camry.  That AM boss needs to have his head examined... pay the fee already, doofus!

[post="39261"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Now now, Ocn... he may with the Camry SE! It has a spoiler... and an amber instrument cluster. :rolleyes: :lol:

Better yet, Bond in a prius. :) I can just see it now, there goes Bond trying to drive away from the bad guys but since the 0-60 is over 10 seconds they catch up to him in their Yugo.

Let me just say that if there was a car from Toyota right now as cool as the 2000GT then this would be at least a slight bit rational... but Toyota is a jooke right now. They don't even have a Supra any more. How about the Gillette comercials for Mach3 turbo razors wiht that cheesy balck and green '95 Supra. Retardred.

I always liked the 2000GT. It's the only true Japanese classic other than the original Z cars.

Isn't there a new Supra on the horizon? I mean how many times have we seen a supposed Toyota in black canvas on the ring in Autoweek?!

Posted Image

If it does happen, it'll probably be a Lexus. But Bond in anything other than an Aston Martin is like cake without the frosting...a big MEH.

Better yet, Bond in a prius.  :)  I can just see it now, there goes Bond trying to drive away from the bad guys but since the 0-60 is over 10 seconds they catch up to him in their Yugo.

[post="39296"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

If he's in the Prius, the premise could be he's pissed about the false claims with the fuel economy, and call it like Priuspussy. LOL

What about BMW? That Z8 in "The world is not enough" was hot as hell (so was Denise Richards :P) still no Austin Martin though.

LF-A, the rumored super Lexus? Releasing the car to the public the same week the film comes out would be a marketer's wettest dream.

Hahaha...the only car I could think of is the SC430...what an ugly terd of a car.

It would be depressing to see Bond turn into one giant Lexus commercial like I, Robot did. Look at the freeway scene in Matrix 2 - one long, commerical for GM. Depending on how much exposure is offered, it would be worth it for GM to snatch this out of Toyota's hands. Bond flicks are not only watched once at the cinema, but they are among the most collected film series out there. We are talking decades of advertising.

I, robot was an Audi commercial, Men In Black II was Mercedes commercial, Matrix Reloaded an Cadillac commercial and so on. The only Lexus commercial I have seen was Minority Report, but at least you only saw the logo of the car in a snip of a second in the end of the movie. Far less than in the other ones mentioned above, and nothing is settled yet about the new Bond movie.

LF-A, the rumored super Lexus?  Releasing the car to the public the same week the film comes out would be a marketer's wettest dream.

[post="39322"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Is it a Lexus then, sems many think it's still the upcoming Supra. Either way that car would at least somewhat make sense... they could play up the ties to the GT2000 ragtop in the old film... was it Goldfinger or You Only live Twice... ?

Either way I liked the coupe version of the 2000GT better than the ragtop.

There might be the new gen Camry either used by Bond, like when he is on a street chasing someone then needs a car, so he stops traffic and the first car to stop, will be a new shiney Camry, lol. or it might be used by the bad guys as a get-away car.

What about BMW? That Z8 in "The world is not enough" was hot as hell (so was Denise Richards :P) still no Austin Martin though.

[post="39305"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

yea, the new M-roadster, or M-coupe, or better yet, the M6 (or even M5) would be awesome. (what would be even cooler is seeing him in a Z06) :AH-HA_wink:

He drove an AMC Matador coupe in one movie . Even thats better than a Camry.

[post="39288"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The bad guy drove the Matador- Bond was in a Hornet (in which he does a spectacular corkscrew jump over a river. Since both guy stole the cars from an AMC dealer in the movie, it wasn't the most blatant product placement- that would have been in the beginning of "Live and Let Die", where the only cars on New York's FDR drive are 1972 Chevrolet B-bodies and Cadillacs.

Remember, the Ford T-Bird was in Die Another Day...for four seconds.

Imagine if you will... You have a dog's-level view of the side of a street. A chrome wheel rolls by as a car stops before you. Above the rocker panel, you see the door crack open and a cane hit the pavement with a loud *clack*. A foot comes into view and pivots. You now see the tips of two fine-leather shoes before you and hear a grunt and groan of someone as they exit the car. The feet step out of view and the door closes. The cane clacks once more as the person steps into the frame. The camera pans up to reveal... Sean Connery ?! With his sophistication and signature accent, he proclaims: "It's a phucking Camry! Who ELSE would you be expecting?" Edited by ShadowDog

Toyota doesn't sell anything beside the Camry? If and this is a big if, Toyota is used in the next Bond film, I'm certain they'd use the LS600h or at least LS460/GS450h.

You have to realize that the movie is a prequel Bond flick, and it's set in the Cold War era. Keep that in mind when you're thinking of what car will be in it.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor