Hyundai Equus Teaser

NOS2006

http://www.leftlanenews.com/hyundais-i70-bhl.html

[Hyundai has released a third teaser sketch of its upcoming Equus flagship sedan. The latest sketch shows the Equus’ interior, revealing a rather luxurious setup — not all that much dissimilar from the Lexus LS. As previously reported, the Equus will be based on the Hyundai Genesis.

It’s unclear if the car will be marketed as a distinct model from the Genesis/i50 or if it will be sold as a LWB (long-wheel-base) variant. Sources are still referring to this luxury sedan as the i70 — and sometimes as the i90 — but the name is not yet confirmed. Either way, the sedan will replace the current Equus, a squared-off sedan that has been on the market since the late 1990s.

However, we do know that it will be offered as a V8 model only and will be even more prestigious than the new Genesis. The new sedan will be powered by a 5.0L V8 — rated between 400 and 420 horsepower — although two supercharged V8s, displacing 5.5L and 4.6L, are said to be in the works.

As Hyundai is using Cadillac, BMW and Lexus as benchmarks, expect an iDrive-type system (such a knob can be seen on the car’s center console in the sketch) as well as many other luxury amenities. The new flagship will feature Hyundai’s first application of LED headlamps.

The new model is a whopping eight inches longer than the Genesis, according to Hyundai research and development boss Dr. Hyun-Soon Lee, who confirmed that the large sedan will replace the Equus JS 380 — and best it in length by around two inches.

Dr. Lee also said Hyundai has no plans for body styles other than sedans and coupes for the Genesis platform — that means no crossover or station wagon, as speculated by some.

The Equus is expected to hit the Korean market later this year, although the Equus has not been completely ruled out for the U.S.

This car is going to be awesome, but I do wish Hyundai got a little more creative with their design on this and the Genesis. They need their own identity, not elements of Mercedes and Lexus, but I think they are playing it safe since they are moving into new territory. Interior isn't really creative, but looks very nice and it is inoffensive, so they'll appeal to a broad range. As compared to a BMW interior that can be polarizing.

The engines sound awesome, I'd like to see what the 4.6 and 5.5 liter supercharged V8s are putting out, and this car and the Genesis will offer 8-speed transmissions also. I wish Cadillac had a powertrain like that, instead GM thinks luxury buyers want a 300 hp V6.

This car is going to be awesome, but I do wish Hyundai got a little more creative with their design on this and the Genesis. They need their own identity, not elements of Mercedes and Lexus, but I think they are playing it safe since they are moving into new territory. Interior isn't really creative, but looks very nice and it is inoffensive, so they'll appeal to a broad range. As compared to a BMW interior that can be polarizing.

The engines sound awesome, I'd like to see what the 4.6 and 5.5 liter supercharged V8s are putting out, and this car and the Genesis will offer 8-speed transmissions also. I wish Cadillac had a powertrain like that, instead GM thinks luxury buyers want a 300 hp V6.

Hey genius, the 300 hp V6 is in the smaller CTS. You can get a V8 in the larger STS. The Equus is larger than the CTS.

One more thing. You want a V8 in the smaller CTS?

cadillac-cts-v-2009.jpg

Do you listen to yourself?

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

But in the end, you're still driving a Hyundai

w-wait.... didn't hyundai JUST intro a lux line, the genesis.... now there's another above it ?? Is it another brand, or is it a 'genesis equus' ?? Whatever- way to steal your own thunder. :wacko:

>>"Genesis will offer 8-speed transmissions also"<<

Problem here is, with the econoturd reputation hyundai has, merely benchmarking the others isn't going to make it- they need to WAY overshoot them. genesis should have a 10-speed trans, 32 speakers & 600 HP quad-turbo biodiesel just to get anyone to even look at it. {/smk}

Hey genius, the 300 hp V6 is in the smaller CTS. You can get a V8 in the larger STS. The Equus is larger than the CTS.

One more thing. You want a V8 in the smaller CTS?

Cadillac's General Manage about a year ago said luxury buyers want a V6, so that is what Cadillac is going to focus on. Yet BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, Infiniti, Audi, Lexus and even Hyundai have V8s. The Genesis is getting an engine upgrade that could be 420 to 500 hp if they put a supercharge on it. And the CTS-V is a pushrod, that isn't a refined, luxury engine and it registered 71 dBa at 70 mph, they should be closer to 67-68 decibels. CTS should have a DOHC V8, it isn't like it is a small car, it is 4,000 pounds, that is a lot of car.

The Equus is around 202 inches long, so it is a rather large car, they are going to near S-class size here, which is too big for me, but it looks like Hyundai could have a great car here. It may fall flat like the VW Pheaton, but I at least they are trying.

What a messed up world we live in where 3 of

Hyundai's upcoming products have me more

excited than 93% of the GM lineup.

Good, the more RWD for the people the better!

Dodge called and wants the Charger's up kick back.

That style of up-kick, in a general sense, is about

80 years old, and in a more strict & specific sense

dates to the late 1940s.

As much as I love the Charger it's like car No.347

to lay claim to it in production form. And if you call

the 1930s style up-and-over the rear wheel arch

a stretch than let's settle on the 1967 F-body.

Ilove the Charger but is has ZERO original styling

cues, and the Hyundai sketch, sexy as it is, has

even less by extension. To my eyes it's very

Buick-cooncept-car.

0610_z%201936_mercedes-benz_540K%2025_mo

234051810_504d43a513.jpg

1939talbotlagot150saoutya8.jpg

Delahaye175S.jpg

PA03Delahaye.jpg

Edited by Sixty8panther

if anyone would be "calling for it's kick-up back" it would be a 1950s Buick.

49roadmaster.jpg

1950-1952-buick-3.jpg

DSCF0001.JPG

1953+Buick.jpg

1971BuickRiviera-feb-a.jpg

DSC03950.JPG

53218775_pr.jpg

1967CamaroZ28.jpg

1967_Camaro_RS_SS.jpg

68camaro2.jpg

68rsss.jpg

Hmm. Hyundai is moving up. I'm glad not all automakers are going downhill.

Speaking of which, Hyundai sales were up 14 percent in January.

While EVERY carmaker (aside from Subaru and Kia) posted double-digit declines, Hyundai posted double-digit gains.

If I hear one more person on this forum trash-talk the LS_ pusrods

I just might go postal. Here's a motor that is in every category that

actually MATERS, superior to a DOHC... it's kicked Ferrari's @$$ at

LeMans even though they have a DOHC V12, it is cheaper, less

troublesome & more durable than anything short of a Caterpilar I6

turbodiesel, its low maintenance, easy adaptibility, incredibly

versitile in any of those applicatiomns, it responds amazingly well

to insane amounts of boost, and takes abuse like nothing else short

of the original SBC from 1955...and yet some will still bitch about it.

WTF else do you want it to do to be acceptable?

Who the F*** cares about it being loud?

Guess what? It can very easily be quieted but pu%$ies who do

not like a snarling, baratone, thundering V8 rumbling do NOT

buy a Cadillac CTS-V. In fact I MUCH prefer the rumble of my

pushrod V8 powered cars versus the sewing-machine-on-crack

clacking of my 1997 Cadillac STS's Northstar.

(don;t mean to pick on you SMK, just curious)

Uhh, Satty, what Sixty8 is saying is true. You don't buy the CTS-V for a quiet engine. You buy it for a quiet ride. I don't think you're going to buy the fastest V8 production sedan in the world and hope for it to have a quiet engine. The LS engines have proven time and time again to be very reliable, efficient, competent, and competitive. Why change it?

Uhh, Satty, what Sixty8 is saying is true. You don't buy the CTS-V for a quiet engine. You buy it for a quiet ride. I don't think you're going to buy the fastest V8 production sedan in the world and hope for it to have a quiet engine. The LS engines have proven time and time again to be very reliable, efficient, competent, and competitive. Why change it?

Cadillac is a luxury car, it should be able to be a rocket and quiet. That is the what makes the great cars what they are, they can do multiple things well in an effortless manner. Chrysler can put a 425 h V8 into the 300 and Charger, doesn't mean it is a better car than a V6 CTS for the same money. The Cadillac is still a better car, it just isn't as fast in a straight line. I will always believe that all Cadillacs should have DOHC engines only.

And the CTS-V is really the fastest V8 sedan because most of the other V8 cars have limiters on them, and there are sedans like the Bentley Flying Spur that do 198 mph, but that is 12 cylinder. The Jaguar XFR with an aero kit and slight engine mods at 225.675 mph on the Bonneville Salt flats. So if they offer an XFR-S, which they may do, they will be king of top speed, an nobody else is touching 226 mph in 4-door.

Cadillac is a luxury car, it should be able to be a rocket and quiet. That is the what makes the great cars what they are, they can do multiple things well in an effortless manner. Chrysler can put a 425 h V8 into the 300 and Charger, doesn't mean it is a better car than a V6 CTS for the same money. The Cadillac is still a better car, it just isn't as fast in a straight line. I will always believe that all Cadillacs should have DOHC engines only.

And the CTS-V is really the fastest V8 sedan because most of the other V8 cars have limiters on them, and there are sedans like the Bentley Flying Spur that do 198 mph, but that is 12 cylinder. The Jaguar XFR with an aero kit and slight engine mods at 225.675 mph on the Bonneville Salt flats. So if they offer an XFR-S, which they may do, they will be king of top speed, an nobody else is touching 226 mph in 4-door.

Once again, you fail to understand the DOHC is not better than OHV, it's merely a different way of getting the same result.

The CTS-V is the fastest sedan because it has the best balance of acceleration and handling....top speed is useless on a curvy track like the Nurbergring, because you rarely, if ever have the opportunity to reach the top speed.

Since your brought up Bentley, I'm sure you must know that the Arnage's V8 is OHV, yet you never bitch about that.

Funny part is.. you just proved yourself wrong.

Once again, you fail to understand the DOHC is not better than OHV, it's merely a different way of getting the same result.

The CTS-V is the fastest sedan because it has the best balance of acceleration and handling....top speed is useless on a curvy track like the Nurbergring, because you rarely, if ever have the opportunity to reach the top speed.

Since your brought up Bentley, I'm sure you must know that the Arnage's V8 is OHV, yet you never bitch about that.

The fastest V8 sedan claim is based on the 191 mph top speed of a manual equipped CTS-V. That is what Cadillac stated. I know the Nurburgring time, and it is a great time, but that has nothing to do with the "fastest V8 sedan" claims in their ads.

The Arnage engine I think is retired this year, it's a dinosaur, it makes a lot of power, but even they are moving on. What Bentley does, doesn't really matter, people that buy Bentleys just buy it. They aren't cross shopping, or looking at the Rolls Royce V12 and comparing driving experiences or quietness.

Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Infiniti and Jaguar use DOHC (some SOHC in Mercedes), if Cadillac wants to be like them, they should be all DOHC also.

It does matter, the fact is that the other sedans have limiters, and that makes the CTS the fastest. Stop trying to put it down.

The Bentley V8 is not being retired, and if you have a "source" then for once post the link.

The Arnage engine I think is retired this year,

Back your &#036;h&#33; up with links or I'm just deleting your posts.

it's a dinosaur, it makes a lot of power, but even they are moving on. What Bentley does, doesn't really matter, people that buy Bentleys just buy it. They aren't cross shopping, or looking at the Rolls Royce V12 and comparing driving experiences or quietness.

Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Infiniti and Jaguar use DOHC (some SOHC in Mercedes), if Cadillac wants to be like them, they should be all DOHC also.

You're just going to continue to be wrong on this. The CTS is "loud" not because of the valvetrain but because of the exhaust tuning. Cadillac tuned the CTS sound the way they did on purpose. Some of the smoothest and quietest V8s I've been behind are pushrod. LT-1 Fleetwoods are super quiet inside and they had relatively minimal sound deadening compared to modern cars. The 5.3 in my Avalanche was difficult to hear from the front and was actually louder near the tailpipe than near the engine. The idle was smooth like glass and it was silent on the highway.

Cadillac chose a different route than Lexus for a reason. They realized they weren't going to be able to out Lexus, Lexus. Cadillac made the CTS-V look great and sound badass.

The Lexus GS is the Bill Gates of cars. The Cadillac CTS-V is the James Bond.

I think it's funny how people will try to splice atoms about how a Cadillac is ALMOST not good

enough to go head to head with cars 2, 3 or 4 times their price, so obviously GM fu&%ed up!

Yeah.... Bentleys are nice, but they're an apples-to-oranges comparison even if they DO help

out my point of Pushrod superiority.

As far as the "if Cadillac is trying to be like them..." Who the hell said they ARE?

God I hope Cadillac is not trying to "make a better Lexus GS or Jaguar". :rolleyes:

Sure the comparison will be made but last time I checked Cadillac has

quite of bit of original product that the OTHERS can not match!

If Cadillac needs something other than a pushrod V8 it's a pushrod V16!!!

I'd rather Cadillac have Hyundai's 4.6 V8 or the coming 5 liter V8 than the antiquated Northstar. The Equus will have 420 hp and the DTS has 290, Cadillac can't keep up with Hyundai, that is a sad day. I want to see Cadillac build the best cars in the world, but anyone that thinks the current lineup is world class is fooling themselves.

If the pushrod is the superior engine, why not put the 3900 pushrod V6 as the base CTS motor?

Does Cadillac need some new product & more inve$tment? YES!

Is a new DOHC motor a magic bullet? HELL NO, way off the mark.

I really don't care if Cadillac build the best cars in the world or even in America- I cannot stand the brand. Also, I will never give them even a sliver of credit for, for example, accomplishments such as bullying their way into the 3-series's segment and taking major USM marketshare from it, all the while resisting BMW's example of huge reliance on fleet sales in it's own market to bolster global sales numbers.

Thanks for finally admitting this.

-- -- -- -- --

BTW- hyundai's 420 HP NEXT year is still far behind Cadillac's 469 DOHC HP that's been available for a number of years now. Want to enter the big leagues, you have to overshoot the benchmarks, not fall short of them.

I'd rather Cadillac have Hyundai's 4.6 V8 or the coming 5 liter V8 than the antiquated Northstar. The Equus will have 420 hp and the DTS has 290, Cadillac can't keep up with Hyundai, that is a sad day. I want to see Cadillac build the best cars in the world, but anyone that thinks the current lineup is world class is fooling themselves.

If the pushrod is the superior engine, why not put the 3900 pushrod V6 as the base CTS motor?

Your idiotic comparisons are done.

And let's remember Balthazar, that 469 horsepower output

is coming from a motor that has been updated & gained

forced induction but the meat-n-potatos of the motor, like

the entire block & guts have been around in production

form since fall of 1992.

That's the most recent update of a 17 year old motor.

Not that I'm trying to put down Hyundai but if we're going

to draw comparisons there's one that nobody is making.

Wow!

Hyundai is getting exceptionally impressive and moving along so fast it's nearly hard to imagine what may come next.

I'd guess a cabrio of something but I do not know.

I wish GM/Ford/Chrysler could turn themselves around and advance as swiftly.

And let's remember Balthazar, that 469 horsepower output is coming from a motor that has been updated & gained forced induction but the meat-n-potatos of the motor, like the entire block & guts have been around in production form since fall of 1992. That's the most recent update of a 17 year old motor.

Not that I'm trying to put down Hyundai but if we're going to draw comparisons there's one that nobody is making.

Firstly, a major protion of the NS was redone, not just having a blower bolted on. It is 4.4L, not 4.6L afterall. But I admit I do not know the extent of the redesign; IIRC it involved on the order of 50% of all parts.

But that's besides the point entirely : age has nothing over capability.... or in smk's world, peak numbers. I wouldn't care if the SC NS was from '80, if all else was equal. Fact is (again: in smkWorld), in the 2 showrooms, one has X HP, and one has X+50 HP... yet somehow X+50 is ignored while X is world's better.

Edited by balthazar