cire

Motor Authority: An Opel Insignia Rebadge For Cadillac?

113 posts in this topic

I don't know if the info in this article is just speculated rumor or an actual fact based on a reliable source (I know quite a bit of internet "news" is more of the former than latter). I think the Insignia is a great product, but it belongs at B-P-G. If Cadillac is going to receive an Epsilon based model to slot below the CTS (which I believe it will at some point; I don't believe the corporation will follow through with the Alpha platform), then it should have its own unique "Art & Science" inspired design.

Link:Visit My Website

Source: Motor Authority

I still don't quite get the great debate over offering the 2010 LaCrosse and the Insignia in the same lineup. The Insignia is a smaller car based on the SWB Epsilon II platform. The LaCrosse is a larger car based on the LWB Epsilon II platform. The way these website articles make it sound, the 2 products are essentially the same car when they actually are not. I think there is room for both products at B-P-G. An Insignia based Regal would be the midsize premium sedan while the 2010 LaCrosse would serve as the large flagship sedan of the B-P-G sales channel. I just wish that GM would stop tripping up by second guessing themselves and just follow through with a plan. It seems like they waste too much effort and resources analyzing everything, but never fully executing or accomplishing anything. For heaven's sake, just get on with it!

Blarch. Please, no FWD sedans for Cadillac...leave the mainstream to C-B-P.

Blarch. Please, no FWD sedans for Cadillac...leave the mainstream to C-B-P.

Just a bit of a reality check: I think most or all of Cadillac's future products will end up on some variation of Epsilon, Theta, or Lambda. Future development on Kappa and Zeta is dead. I seriously doubt that GM will continue to support Sigma solely for the CTS line; I think the current CTS line will be the last of the Sigma based products. Alpha has been delayed; I think GM will take the cowardly route and cancel it too. It just doesn't look good for the future of RWD for GM. I don't like it or necessarily agree with it, but I think it is the sad reality.

I do hope that logical minds prevail and the Insignia is placed in B-P-G where it belongs.

FWD Cadillacs means we'll go back to teh 90's when Caddy has no respect. The Sigma platform has single handedly brought the brand back. Why not just continue to update it? It's world class already, I see no reason to replace it with an inferior platform, and no need to start over with a new one.

If GM really does make the Cadillac lineup all FWD I will lose all hope for the company.

That is another FAIL for Cadillac. No Cadillac should be front drive or have a transversely mounted engine. The CTS could be the last rear drive Cadillac, which is very sad.

A FWD Cadillac will only cause journalists to bring up the Cimarron for the eleventy billionth time, and since it's from Europe, they'll just liken it to the Catera as well. Keep this sort of product for Buick, or Cadillac will never get any respect.

FWD Cadillacs means we'll go back to teh 90's when Caddy has no respect. The Sigma platform has single handedly brought the brand back. Why not just continue to update it? It's world class already, I see no reason to replace it with an inferior platform, and no need to start over with a new one.

If GM really does make the Cadillac lineup all FWD I will lose all hope for the company.

If they go all FWD, maybe with some AWD, it means they've set their focus on Lincoln, and maybe a bit of the Acura and Volvo market, as well as the lesser Lexuses. They will have given up on competing in the big leagues.

Edited by moltar

Which is completely stupid, because the CTS-V shows Cadillac can beat them all. Why the hell would they give that up? Buick is supposed to be for Acura/Lincoln anyway.

Yes, but these may indeed be the End Times for GM, the final downward spiral into oblivion... it's all about short-term survival right now, by sacrificing the future..

GM is just killing itself then; not the media, not the public.

GM is just killing itself then; not the media, not the public.

I've long thought GM was it's own worst enemy..people try and blame the media, Toyota, the unions, the government, I think they majority of their problems lie within.

A FWD Cadillac is better than no new product at all.

I wonder if GM has considered setting up Cadillac as a semi-Independent company? Then it would be possible for them to purchase BMW engines or partner with another competitor like Alfa Romeo.

I've long thought GM was it's own worst enemy..people try and blame the media, Toyota, the unions, the government, I think they majority of their problems lie within.

I second that. Almost every issue GM has (high cost, uncompetitive products, poor resale values, angry customers, bad image, and piss poor marketing) are their own doing.

This is it, why is it that Ford is building their best products in years, and I have more faith in Chrysler then I do in GM? We are watching the slow death of an American giant.

A&S is hard, edgy lines and all Cadillac.

Opel Insignia is soft lines and very Buick. WTF?

A FWD Cadillac is better than no new product at all.

I wonder if GM has considered setting up Cadillac as a semi-Independent company? Then it would be possible for them to purchase BMW engines or partner with another competitor like Alfa Romeo.

Not really if the new products is sub par for the brand. Then again it's probably that logic that got us the Cimarron. "Better to have a small piece of $h! than no small car" That's went over well, even 20 years later.

DTS already ruins any credibility they have against BMW and Benz, a front drive SRX will drag it down more, and as soon as they get the Epsilon sedans out, Cadillac will be Lincoln/Acura at best, but Acura will hold the advantage in perceived reliability because Honda makes it. Cadillac needs at least 3 unique rear drive platforms if they are coming to compete with BMW and Benz.

Not really if the new products is sub par for the brand. Then again it's probably that logic that got us the Cimarron. "Better to have a small piece of $h! than no small car" That's went over well, even 20 years later.

Insignia = Cimarron ??? I think not. The Cimarron sucked because it was a glorified Cavalier.

No one is suggesting a Cobalt based Cadillac here.

Ok, maybe not a Cimmaron, but a Lexus ES equivalent-- a FWD entry lux generic based off a mass market FWD sedan. Nothing significant. Such a car would help Cadillac compete with Lincoln maybe, but hardly M-B or BMW.

Edited by moltar

Ok, maybe not a Cimmaron, but a Lexus ES equivalent-- a FWD entry lux generic based off a mass market FWD sedan. Nothing significant. Such a car would help Cadillac compete with Lincoln maybe, but hardly M-B or BMW.

Yup, and what the hell would the point be? The new LaCrosse is supposed to compete with teh ES. This would be another example of in house competition.

Yup, and what the hell would the point be? The new LaCrosse is supposed to compete with teh ES. This would be another example of in house competition.

Exactly...but Cadillac dealers probably now worry about Buick dealers stealing sales from them and vice versa.

Insignia = Cimarron ??? I think not. The Cimarron sucked because it was a glorified Cavalier.

No one is suggesting a Cobalt based Cadillac here.

Not yet anyway.

The Insginia isn't a piece of crap, but the logic remains the same "Why be the best when we can just be "meh", and compete with Buick while we're at it!"

LaCrosse is supposed to start around $25k, so it won't be competing with Lincoln or Lexus, but rather the Avalon, maybe V6 Chrysler 300. They could make another front drive Cadillac to replace the DTS to compete with Lincoln and Lexus, but why bother. Cadillac should be rear drive, any front drive product is inferior to a BMW, Benz or Jaguar.

Unless you've been under a rock, nearly every article about the LaCrosse has stated that it is aimed squarely at the ES. If it undercuts it in price then by all mean, but it it targeted at the likes of the ES, MKS, and TL.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor