Cobalt Cometh to Cory

Well, what to say besides, it's officially mine. I'm not terribly exciting, but still somewhat am for the sake of finally having a car again. Anyways, here's the story.

This car was originally purchased by my grandpa for my grandma back in '05. After three years, she passed away last June. She had only put 8000 miles on it. For the last year, my grandpa has been driving it since selling his Silverado. He hasn't really liked it too much. It's too small for him and always complains about hitting his head when gets in and hitting his stomach once he is in. Recently, he's been looking into trading it in. Most dealerships have only offered him around $5500 for it, despite the super-low mileage. With my car-less-ness, he offered to sell it to me for the amount he was offered. He gave a bit of a break from that as well, and decided upon $5k even.

Currently having 10k miles, its in pretty good condition, as one would expect. The only issue it really has is the amount of filth in the interior from my grandpa never bothering to clean it. That and this mysterious squeak. I'm not certain where exactly it is coming from. It occurs while in motion, at all speeds. Almost sounds like its coming from something inside, but I can't pinpoint it. Otherwise, not much to fret over in this car it seems. I just have to get the filthy interior clean (hence the lack of interior pictures).

A few comments about it... I forgot how light the steering is. My god, I could probably turn it by blowing on it. You can't tell that it's even connected to the wheels. I must also mention the mushy brakes. It stops well, but stepping on the pedal is a deceiving feeling. Besides those, it drives and rides rather well. Not great, but it's certainly not bad. I just wish it were better equipped. Manual locks are a bitch to have when you frequently carry an expensive camera and electronics in your car.

The few pics I were able to snap before darkness set in.

026-1.jpg

027.jpg

028-1.jpg

029-1.jpg

030.jpg

025-2.jpg

033-1.jpg

I don't plan on keeping it forever, however. After I'm done with it, my Mom wants to buy it off of me to keep the car in the family. The Sunfire has been running especially $h!ty lately, two years after being told it was bound to blow up by a mechanic. Maybe it'll last another year.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an odd question... are the front struts naturally clunky? Or should I look into having those checked out? Something big is clunking up front when I travel over bumps and whatnot. It rides fine, but that clunking isn't something I'm terribly fond of.

That's not normal, the one I spent 2 months with was quiet over all bumps.

Congrats in the car, it sure is clean outside and in the engine bay! You can probably look into getting remote keyless entry installed on it. Here's to hoping it serves you well. :cheers:

Remote keyless entry can only be installed on cars with power door locks. And Vipes, is there any sort of warranty left on the car, did your grandmother purchase an extended warranty that may be transferrable, do you know? I would be moderately concerned about noises myself, and would want them checked out. Maybe someone on a Cobalt forum can help.

I have an odd question... are the front struts naturally clunky? Or should I look into having those checked out? Something big is clunking up front when I travel over bumps and whatnot. It rides fine, but that clunking isn't something I'm terribly fond of.

I have some disconcerting noises from time to time too. I was told that they are normal. I've had a couple of mechanics listen to mine and tell me that that's what FWD compacts do. I also had an RSX owner tell me that his car made the exact same noise when he heard it.

BTW, I was expecting a grey sedan. Red coupe, it's nice, what are you complaining about?

It might be the lower control arm bushings. There's a TSB for it. Mine had that issue and I got them fixed under warranty.

As for the interior squeak, that might be the rear seat. As a test, go in the trunk and pull the levers that releases the seat backs and allows them to fold down. Drive the car around like this and see if the squeak goes away. If it does, that's another TSB, though if you're interested it's a fix you can probably do yourself, and I can dig up the article on how to fix it.

It might be the lower control arm bushings. There's a TSB for it. Mine had that issue and I got them fixed under warranty.

As for the interior squeak, that might be the rear seat. As a test, go in the trunk and pull the levers that releases the seat backs and allows them to fold down. Drive the car around like this and see if the squeak goes away. If it does, that's another TSB, though if you're interested it's a fix you can probably do yourself, and I can dig up the article on how to fix it.

+1 I had mine replaced too...

Granted, no squeak....

Great choice. You seem to be having an affinity to red. It has been kept in a good condition.

For some reason, I was expecting a refridgerator white sedan with the original dirt of the last 4 years still on it.

+1

Not sure if this was even an issue for the 'balts, but on my ION sedan, the swaybar endlinks would wear out and clunk after 20K kilometres (16Kish miles). I believe there was a new design released towards the end of production on the IONs but I'm not sure, and I don't even know if the balts had that issue. Might want to check on that as an option.

Not sure if this was even an issue for the 'balts, but on my ION sedan, the swaybar endlinks would wear out and clunk after 20K kilometres (16Kish miles). I believe there was a new design released towards the end of production on the IONs but I'm not sure, and I don't even know if the balts had that issue. Might want to check on that as an option.

Yeah, but they are a different animal...and the IONs were (and still are) JUNK....

It's too bad because I like the coupe..

Maybe it's haunted by your Grandma, in any event Congrats Cory ...

I told you on AIM last night that this isn't normal ya clunk head :lol:

Intermediate Steering Shaft. Happened on our Maxx, the earlier couple of years of the Electric Steering System had kinks that were mostly worked out by 2007/8.

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

And Vipes, is there any sort of warranty left on the car, did your grandmother purchase an extended warranty that may be transferrable, do you know? I would be moderately concerned about noises myself, and would want them checked out. Maybe someone on a Cobalt forum can help.

No remaining warranty.

BTW, I was expecting a grey sedan. Red coupe, it's nice, what are you complaining about?

I'm not really complaining... More or less wishing it weren't so basic. With the exception of the Cutlass, my last two cars were well equipped.

I thought about the rear seat, the right side was unlatched when I got it, so I latched it (which was rather difficult, I had to 'beat' it into latching).

Intermediate Steering Shaft. Happened on our Maxx, the earlier couple of years of the Electric Steering System had kinks that were mostly worked out by 2007/8.

I don't know where to start. Control arm bushings, sway bay end links, intermediate steering shaft. I thought these cars were supposed to be solid. :P

Cory. The Cobalt came w/ the 5yr/100k mile powertrain warranty. Being that it's an 2005 model it MIGHT still have that warranty still.

GM introduced the 5/100 Warranty in 2007. Model Year 2006 and lower cars only have the standard 3/36.

Congrats on the new-to-you car BV. While it may not be what you want, at least it should be reliable enough to get you to more destinations. While I initially liked my first car - a '78 Chevy Camaro LT (in September '92) - once I saw that a majority of my fellow classmates were buying cars made in the late '80s/early '90s, I began to dread driving my car. But now 15-16 years later I look back on the time I had that car, the places it took me, and I miss it. Let me know how it performs - I'm assuming it has the 2.2L 4cyl engine. The wife wants us to look into either a G5 or Cobalt (well, she likes the look of the G5 GT, but it'd be more practical to get a Cobalt Sedan), so let me know your thoughts and opinions on how this car is to live with on a daily basis.

Congrats on the new-to-you car BV. While it may not be what you want, at least it should be reliable enough to get you to more destinations. While I initially liked my first car - a '78 Chevy Camaro LT (in September '92) - once I saw that a majority of my fellow classmates were buying cars made in the late '80s/early '90s, I began to dread driving my car. But now 15-16 years later I look back on the time I had that car, the places it took me, and I miss it. Let me know how it performs - I'm assuming it has the 2.2L 4cyl engine. The wife wants us to look into either a G5 or Cobalt (well, she likes the look of the G5 GT, but it'd be more practical to get a Cobalt Sedan), so let me know your thoughts and opinions on how this car is to live with on a daily basis.

I can answer any questions you might have. My gf has a 2008 Cobalt LS Sedan that I drive often.

It might be worthwhile to look into a GM Protection Plan. Given what you've gone through in the past, you might enjoy the piece of mind of just driving it to hte dealer and saying "Fix it, please."

After looking at it myself, I'd say its the control arm bushings. They look to be pretty much shot. How, considering the complete lack of abuse from my grandparents, is lost on me.

Also, the hood latch seems to rattle at idle while it's in drive. It's really quite annoying. I'm not even sure how to possibly address that.

As well, I looked into the rear seat latches and they are not the cause of the squeak. In trying to pinpoint it some more, it seems to be coming from the right front somewhere. That's as far as I've gotten. :P

Poor BV can't get a break. At least my car waited 5 months before I had to replace a leaking fuel pump gasket. :P

Oh well, it should be good to you once you get those things taken care off. I did enjoy mine.

Also, manual locks aren't bad. Sure power is nice, but I never found myself really complaining about it in the Prizm (except when I was delivering and wished for remote).

I just wish it had an inside trunk release. It's on the list.

After looking at it myself, I'd say its the control arm bushings. They look to be pretty much shot. How, considering the complete lack of abuse from my grandparents, is lost on me.
There's a TSB on it, so I'd assume a defect in the rubber used.

Also, the hood latch seems to rattle at idle while it's in drive. It's really quite annoying. I'm not even sure how to possibly address that.
There should be two litte bumpers on the radiator support near each fender. Turn them counterclockwise one turn at a time to raise them up.

I haven't had a chance to see if the rattling has stopped, but I twisted those up to the point where the hood didn't line up with fenders anymore and there was still play in it. It did seem more firm, though. I twisted it back down to a reasonable point with it still being firm. I'll see if it rattling goes away tomorrow.

Where can I find a list of these TSB's? This damn Cobalt seems to have every one of them so far. :P

i suppose you could, if you're feeling longful for the pontiac days, slap a grand am badge on the trunk and a twin kidney g5 grille on the front and all of that.

sincerely though, it may not be the desired option right now, but a fairly new vehicle for the good price you got will help you to motor cost effectively for awhile and allow you to have more time to scope out for the next vehicle in the future. at least you don't have to baby it....... enjoy the new ride.....

i suppose you could, if you're feeling longful for the pontiac days, slap a grand am badge on the trunk and a twin kidney g5 grille on the front and all of that.

sincerely though, it may not be the desired option right now, but a fairly new vehicle for the good price you got will help you to motor cost effectively for awhile and allow you to have more time to scope out for the next vehicle in the future. at least you don't have to baby it....... enjoy the new ride.....

It's a 2005, he *has* to call it a Pursuit :AH-HA_wink: