BP, Exxon, Sunoco, Shell...

Lamar

So the other day I had to stop for gas on the way home from DC. Trying to mind my pennies, I stopped at a 7-Eleven gas station and put about $20 in the tank of the Bonneville.

Fast-forward to Friday, and as I'm driving to DC that morning/afternoon, my SES light comes on. Code: P0404, which is an EGR malfunction. So I'm like "aw crap" since I still have a pending SES light in my wife's Maxima that I need to get taken care of before we move in June. I'm looking up the code on the Internet to see what's required to fix the issue.

Then I get a bright idea... how about I get gas from a real station? I fill up at a BP on the way home, and voilà, no more SES light on Saurday. :D

Have any of you experienced the same? What stations do you go to regularly, and which do you avoid?

I go to BP and Sunoco for the most part, as they don't have the E10 thing going on (why I avoid Exxon, Citgo, and Shell unless I have no choice). Used to go to Royal Farms, but when I saw that my gas mileage was HORRIBLE using their gas in the Pathfinder, I swore it off.

If I want to fill-up and get a car wash I'll sometimes go to shell, especially in the winter. You get half off the car wash when you put 8 gallons or more in...so it's killing two birds with one stone.

I hear Haffners gas is pretty $h!ty, but I've never had a problem with them.

Sometimes I go to Sunoco, but its usually out of the way.

Irving (Blue Canoe) is my favorite because Shaws gives gas discount coupons when you shop there, which is on top of Blue Canoe's already lowest prices in the area. Plus they have the only Quiznos in the area...which kicks ass. Only problem is that it's pretty out of the way, and I never pass by it unless I make a special trip or on teh rare occasion I go to Wal Mart.

Ever since we started getting Super Wawas, which have gas stations, I go there 95% of the time. It has the best price and consistent quality. Plus the attendants are better and they have free air for your tires.

For the rest of the country, a Wawa is like a clean, high quality 7-11.

I generally avoid the mom-and-pop type stations just because I don't know where they get their gas. I go to Petro-Canada if I can. I avoid Esso because their gas is extremely dirty compared to every other major Canadian station (over 2x more pollutants by volume than the next competitor).

Thinking a bit more about this, I think this code is one that will come on and off as the problem gets worse, and is likely not directly related to a single tank of gas.

I'm fairly sure your Bonne is like mine... and has the EGR right on top, so replacing it or cleaning it out is relatively easy. I mention cleaning, since the tubing can get full of soot, or the valve can get fouled with soot... EGRs are a little pricy and cleaning it out with carb cleaner could save you 50-100 bucks.

I've been lucky. EGR is about the _only_ thing on my Bonne I didn't change at the 193K refresh.

Thinking a bit more about this, I think this code is one that will come on and off as the problem gets worse, and is likely not directly related to a single tank of gas.

I'm fairly sure your Bonne is like mine... and has the EGR right on top, so replacing it or cleaning it out is relatively easy. I mention cleaning, since the tubing can get full of soot, or the valve can get fouled with soot... EGRs are a little pricy and cleaning it out with carb cleaner could save you 50-100 bucks.

I've been lucky. EGR is about the _only_ thing on my Bonne I didn't change at the 193K refresh.

You may be about right about that code. What year is your car?

I usually just shop by price and if the station's pumps look decently cared-for. The fuel itself is often shipped in from the same local tanker terminal in many places anyway, the additive pack mixed into the base fuel just changes. I think the quality of the tanks and equipment at the station probably has more bearing on fuel quality than the brand being sold.

BP, Casey's, and Kum & Go are the three I usually stop at. I'll sometimes go to Shell or Phillips 66, but it's not very often.

BTW, Casey's has awesome pizza-by-the-slice...they actually make more money on their pizza than anything else, I believe.

Edited by mustang84

Very good review, yes :AH-HA_wink:

After repeatedly getting 87 from Royal Farms in my G6, possibly to some strange results, possibly not (our Malibu has been perfect on the same), I switched to only 87 from Exxon in my Malibu.

Then with the G8, I started out the first time with Exxon and after confirming Shell's "top tier" status (that, and really, it's about the only big brand choice around here), I'm now locked on only the Shell station for the 93 Supreme it enjoys sipping post tune. Random stations scare me, for whatever reason, though the G6 was the only car I ever had issues with, repeatedly, though I'm pretty sure they weren't fully station induced--just a psychotic, screwed up car and fuel system.

So, long story short, I'm now happy with and sticking to Shell's 93 for the G8, but could comfortably use 93 from Exxon, Wawa, or a Sheetz if visiting PA...I think.

Edited by caddycruiser

Kum and Go usually has the best looking women working behind the counter, although QuickTrip can surprise from time to time. The hot girl at QT on Thursday mornings is the only reason I put up with their inferior coffee one day a week. Casey's is way far down on the hot chick ladder.

Oh, this thread is about the gas at the stations? Never really thought about it, I put in whatever is closest when the time comes.

Oh yeah, SAmadei, they're only just now building a Wawa near where I live. A gas station, that is. They actually have a store nearby but without the gas pumps. :confused0071:

Where I grew up, there's a station halfway between my parents' house and their offices. They almost swear by it.

Kum and Go usually has the best looking women working behind the counter, although QuickTrip can surprise from time to time. The hot girl at QT on Thursday mornings is the only reason I put up with their inferior coffee one day a week. Casey's is way far down on the hot chick ladder.

Oh, this thread is about the gas at the stations? Never really thought about it, I put in whatever is closest when the time comes.

Only Satty... :lol:

You know, I used to frequent the ice cream shop during college 'cause of a cute girl that worked there.

I avoid Exxon/Mobil like the plague for political reasons.

XP once gassed up at Mobil but actually got

40% gasoline and 60% H20 in his Riviera.

Another great gas station name is SHEETZ! I have been to them all. The only place where gas is WTF? Is in utah and other mountain states where they have 85 octane.

?

I usually do either Mobil/Sunoco...sometimes a speedway....

Though I'd consider Shell.....

the BP gas around here sucks....

Ever since we started getting Super Wawas, which have gas stations, I go there 95% of the time. It has the best price and consistent quality. Plus the attendants are better and they have free air for your tires.

Super Wawas are all around southern NJ, and there's a brand new one close to where I work so I'll go there. If I don't go there, I go to the Gulf station near my house. I'm not sure if this occurs anywhere outside of NJ, but about two years ago gas stations (at least in southern NJ) started charging $0.05-$0.10 more per gallon if you used a debit/credit card to pay. Some stations didn't upcharge initially, but then 99% of them did (it really sucked when gas was at $4/gallon without the surcharge). I guess some stations felt the loss of customers and now at least half if not more have stopped upcharging for debit/credit card usage. What does this have to do with the post? Wawas were the only ones that never chraged more and that's when I started using them. I used a BP gas station too and it caused hesitation with my AURA but not the G6 (and they have the same 3500 V6!!). From time to time I also used a Citgo, as I pass it on the way to & from work, but they were the first to upcharge and still do.

The Super WAWA has not yet invaded central Jersey, for the most part. I've seen one in Hunterdon Cty.

-- -- -- -- --

I have less choice than gas drinkers. There are 2 stations right near me that are always equal in price, and the cheapest around: Raceway & Hess. I prefer the Hess because it's pumps are more intuitive and I pump my own. I avoid Citgo for political reasons.

The Super WAWA has not yet invaded central Jersey, for the most part. I've seen one in Hunterdon Cty.

-- -- -- -- --

I have less choice than gas drinkers. There are 2 stations right near me that are always equal in price, and the cheapest around: Raceway & Hess. I prefer the Hess because it's pumps are more intuitive and I pump my own. I avoid Citgo for political reasons.

Sadly enough, Hess isn't the cheapest around here. It was where I was in undergrad though.

Can't say I blame you about Citgo. I only avoid them 'cause their gas doesn't last as long for me though.