000_equus_nyc_opt.jpg

Citing an unnamed source "close to the project," InsideLine is reporting that Hyundai plans to bring the Equus super-sedan to the States within the next two to three years. According to the insider, "... you wouldn't be too far off if you said the car was coming to the United States. Our chairman wants it."

Although the news doesn't come as a complete surprise, particularly considering Hyundai brought out an Equus to this week's New York Auto Show, the biggest hurdle to overcome is price. In its current form, the Equus starts at around $96,000, putting it squarely up against such high-dollar machinery as the Audi A8, BMW 7 series, Lexus LS and Mercedes-Benz S-Class. Hyundai knows it's not ready to swim with the whale sharks of the luxury world, so it's hoping to get the sticker closer to $50,000 when equipped with the automaker's 5.0-liter V8 and new eight-speed transmission.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/09/hyundai...to-three-years/

I don't really care for it.

I don't car for the 90's greenhouse and the low belt line, and how the rear character lien dips into nowhere. It kind of reminds me of teh LaCrosse's character line but doesn't connect wit the front one.

The front is kind of busy but it's not too bad.

The rear is ok, but I don't like the tail lights...they remind of of the Yaris'.

Overall, especially from the rear 3/4 view, it gives me a last gen LS vibe...which is ironic since the Toyota name is shown in that photo.

Interior looks very nice, as is becoming typical of Hyundais.

Time to be crass: f@#k this car and everyone who buys it.

This is a piece of rolling garbage, a heap best left to the scrap pile. The front fascia is gaudy and overwrought and there isn't a single unique line or original styling cue anywhere on the car. The interior is a Lexus rip-off, a bold-faced wannabe. In twenty or thirty years, there isn't going to be a soul in the world that is going to give a damn about this particular South Korean car and the only people who are going to buy it are just going to kick their own ass every morning when they wake up to drive it to the office by repetitively asking themselves, "Now why didn't I buy a BMW again? The sticker price was the same ..." Their neighbors, friends, family, and co-workers are all going to roll in laughter at them behind their back. I'd even go so far as to hedge a bet that someday in the future, the owner will probably commit suicide due to the external and internal torment.

To sum it all up, this is going to be one big mistake with a $50k plus price tag.

Edited by YellowJacket894

Truthfully, the Genesis is good enough, Hyundai doesn't need this! However, this car is not all that new, it's actually on generation number three!

It was a joint venture job with Mitsubishi to create an S-Klasse fighter for the domestic market. Mitsu got their own version, Hyundai got theirs. Now Hyundai is the lone player of this car, since Mitsubishi backed off.

It was a joint venture job with Mitsubishi to create an S-Klasse fighter for the domestic market. Mitsu got their own version, Hyundai got theirs. Now Hyundai is the lone player of this car, since Mitsubishi backed off.

Ah! So that's where they got the grille from! The Lancer!

800px-2002-2003_Mitsubishi_Lancer.jpg

Just like when the last generation was shown at the New York show a few years back, this is an impressive car in person. It's prettier than pictures make it out to be...and it's big. With the Hyundai range stretching across 6(!!!) sedans, I think they're pushing it but as long as the Genesis is a success, I don't see why they can't try this as well.

It may just be me, but I see some 10 LaCrosse/Allure in the rear styling, especially the taillamps.

If this does come to market, I must say that I am impressed with the rate at which Hyundai has transformed themselves from a low class econobox laughing stock to a full fledge player in the American auto market. Like their products or not, they deserve respect for quickly learning from the market, and their mistakes.

As for the Equus, I think its beautifully done for $50K, but not for $96K. I do think that this will be another Phaeton type vehicle in the U.S. market if introduced too soon.

Considerring how many Genesis sedans I've seen on the road(to date, only 3 in total, 2 of which driven by Korean!!!!) in my area(Northern NJ) so far, probably no-one will even look at this crap if it has the price tag of anything over 45K. Even 45K will be too high since it still has that Hyundai name(unless they remove it and create a new luxury division that will cost them 2.5 Billion dollars). It may sell in Korea for 96K for Korean people tends to be tempted with the car the bigger the better and wouldn't mind forking over that kinda money if they have it, America will be different. Sure Americans love big cars, but most of them are limited to the good ol' American made, or a well-known Japanes such as Lexus. I heard that this car is kinda regarded as the beefed up Genesis in Korea and I heard it gets marketted as Genesis Super or something like that, since it has the exact same engines as the Genesis, only bigger body, I don't think it will be that much a success here in the States. They are doing things too fast. They should slow down.

Edited by Diehard GrandPrix Fan

It's almost scary-looking...

But Hyundai/Kia is learning. And they're learning quickly. With Hyundai bacoming sort of Toyota-ish and Kia providing lower priced 'quirky' cars such as the Kia Soul, would they have room for an upscale 'quirky' brand? One that could be financially self-sustaining at around 150K units/year and give Hyundai/Kia engineering expertise?

Edited by ZL-1

Hyundai has "Oldsmobile Syndrome"...ashamed of the name, so they remove all references and add a silly new logo (what is that, a dove?) and over-emphasize the model name in order to confuse people even more (A car company named Equus?).

Never mind that the styling is gimmicky and not warranting of a $50k price tag.

I think if it's priced right, it'll sell.

I have to applaud Hyundai for turning around their comapny and image, something GM can't do to save their life, literally.

Personally, I am becoming a fan of the Korean automaker, and actually wouldn't mind owning one in the future, something I wouldn't have said 3 or 4 years ago.