For Those Who Have Actually Sat in One...

How well would you rate the Grand Prix's interior quality?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. How well would you rate the Grand Prix's interior quality?

• Great
    • In between
    • Average
    • In between
    • Should be MUCH better

If you want to see how far behind the game you are, go sit in the following vehicles: Pre-2006 SAAB 9-5 (an interior largely unchanged since 1998) Honda Accord Chevrolet Impala Mercury Montego VW Passat I think it is hilarious that SAAB's 1998 interiors are still worlds better than Pontiac's 2006 ones! :lol:

Um... Quality-wise, the Grand Prix's interior is better than the Impala's. I have sat in both. I think people who bash Pontiac's new interior focus too much on the design and not enough on the quality. Same with the G6's interior... the plastics (wit the revised 2006 center stack) are one of GM's best for non-luxury interiors.

The Grand Prix does have really attractive front seats, though, except for the generic square headrests, which look too far back. I don't know... in some ways, I kinda like the cheesiness and character of the GP interior. I find it unique and entertaining in a perverse way... the cheesy gauges, the A/C vents machine gunned into the dash, the gigantic minivan steering wheel (I know, I know, the GP had it first), the 1980's window switches... it all adds up.

Oh, I forgot to mention the coach bus upholstery, too, though the stuff on the later models looks pretty decent.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This trim kit makes it look pretty decent, IMO, if you only installed the major parts, not the radio/HVAC control surrounds.

Posted Image

Edited by empowah

Um... Quality-wise, the Grand Prix's interior is better than the Impala's. I have sat in both. I think people who bash Pontiac's new interior focus too much on the design and not enough on the quality. Same with the G6's interior... the plastics (wit the revised 2006 center stack) are one of GM's best for non-luxury interiors.

[post="53965"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Are we talking about the 2006 models? Because if you are, then you need to check back into the 2006 Impala.

Are we talking about the 2006 models? Because if you are, then you need to check back into the 2006 Impala.

What do you seriously think? :blink: ...Ofcourse its the 06 Impala. And IMO the GP's plastics are better. Unless you favor hard shiny plastics on the lower portion of dashes... You ought to agree with me.

What do you seriously think? :blink: ...Ofcourse its the 06 Impala. And IMO the GP's plastics are better. Unless you favor hard shiny plastics on the lower portion of dashes... You ought to agree with me.

[post="53995"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

But the Grand Prix interior is crap. Has been since its debut. They changed nothing for 06.

The GP suffers from GM Center Stack Disease, usually characterized by a huge mass of cheap hollow plastic containing unsubstantial switchgear that doesn't integrate well with the dash or center console at all. Croc s right. From a build quality perspective the 2006 Impala blows the GP away. However, I did appreciate the design when I sat in it. Like it or not, it's vintage Pontiac. The cockpit is very driver oriented though...everything is right where he needs it. I really could live with it if I had to.

But the Grand Prix interior is crap. Has been since its debut. They changed nothing for 06.

Actually... yes, they did. Slightly different design. :P But that's not to the quality of the plastics. That was for the G6 and it's center stack. Anyways, here's some advice for you... focus on the plastics only. Not the color, not the design, not the layout, not anything else. PLASTICS ONLY. Then get back to me with a response... Mmmkay?

Besides having a back seat from hell (literally :o ), I still think (and I'm NOT a huge GM supporter, by any means, especially when it comes to Pontiac), that the '05+ GP interior is quite nice. Not so much in all black form, but the 2-tone beige/charcoal really compliments it well. Shocked the hell out of me too, I know, but after sitting in a Black GP GTP with the 2-tone interior at the Philly Auto Show and then a G6, I liked the GP MORE. Actually, I think a few of the materials in the G6 are a bit nicer, like the top dash texture, but there was just something about the GP's overall cockpit design, steering wheel, front seats, etc., that made it better in my mind. BUT, to support blackviper here, I too think the GP's interior materials are nicer than the latest Impala--just materials though, as both seem about equal in the solidity department. It could certainly stand to be taken up several notches, especially around the center stack (what GM car DOESN'T seem to have that issue anymore? :o ), but overall, it isn't bad at all. I even like it more than the 300M we used to have, because it felt more solid and even better layed out to me. NOTE: Like I said above, the interior COLOR you pick seems to have a HUGE affect on even what "level of quality" one perceives inside a car, of which, the 2-tone beige and black definately looks classier and higher grade in the GP (or any car for that matter) than the "coal bin" option. Edited by caddycruiser

The '06 Grand Prix interior is different from the '05.  At the very least, it has more chrome on the dash.

[post="54056"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Very true. Forgot about that. Remember back to seeing the first '06 GP to hit our local dealers lot this summer--a White GT supercharged with the 2-tone interior--and immediately noticed the new chrome details around the vents and (I think?) in one or two other places. If there was anything really missing, it was a little brightwork, and the new shiny bits for '06 really do make a difference.

It looked great, especially compared to the Lacrosse's lined up right next to it, with their massive flat black center piece and terrible fake wood panel across the dash.

The GP suffers from GM Center Stack Disease, usually characterized by a huge mass of cheap hollow plastic containing unsubstantial switchgear that doesn't integrate well with the dash or center console at all.

[post="54008"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I agree.....totally. The center stack and related controls are what also kill the G6 for me.

I don't mind the soft-touch upper dash and door panel plastics on the Grand Prix. There's nothing wrong with THAT, in fact its quite nice....but the other plastics are hard, hollow, brittle, etc.

Plus, everything seems so loosely assmebled (like the floor console.)

Finally, I HAVE to mention styling.....and I think the GP is just way too cartoonish for my taste from the steering wheel, to the multiple round air vents, to the "TapShift" labeling (and it's TRADEMARKED.....talk about tacky.) It's not that much better than Bonneville (the ultimate in committee-think, cheesy, lack-of-real-world-reality interior design.)

G6 is a much better realization of a sporty "Pontiac-style" interior for me.....but then again, even G6 is saddled with GM CSD.

I own one a Comp G and find it average. I like the seats in front The gauges The headliner door panels are good but I would move the window switchs up. Steering wheel is fine. Heads up display is great folding rear seat info center Trunk release on the door lock buttons. Red back light I hate the dash and console plastic Rear seat needs more padding better trim than the painted silver on the console the 04 XM 6 disc radio looks very very bad for a top line radio padddle shifters are fine but need moved in a little closer even for my medium size hands I feel an upgrade of dash plastic and better or real aluminum trim would go a long way to making the interior look much better. but I find it not much worse or cheaper feeling than many imports under 30K. I paid 24K new for this car and it has been a very good car all the way around. Pontiac was going to offer a carbon fiber parts for the interior but have not seen them sold yet. They would help give it a upgraded look. FYI the engine turned dash of the GXP does little for this long time Pontiac fan. I would rather have the guage panel I have now. It just did not look like the same I am used to in the 64 GTO or the 70's TA. The interor is not what I would call bad but I will be the first to say they could have and should do better. Even the new G6 looks better with the wood trim. Edited by hyperv6

I sat in one a few years back when the new model came out. I remember the hard, rough plastic on the dash. I didn't understand the purpose that weird knob in the center where you could turn the lights off. Edited by Cadillacfan85

Very true.  Forgot about that.  Remember back to seeing the first '06 GP to hit our local dealers lot this summer--a White GT supercharged with the 2-tone interior--and immediately noticed the new chrome details around the vents and (I think?) in one or two other places.  If there was anything really missing, it was a little brightwork, and the new shiny bits for '06 really do make a difference.

It looked great, especially compared to the Lacrosse's lined up right next to it, with their massive flat black center piece and terrible fake wood panel across the dash.

[post="54069"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I like the look of the two-toned interior as well. I think the colors on the door panels should be swapped (gray on top, tan on bottom), but it does bring out the design nicely. Some color coordinated materials (think GTO) would definitely help.

Yea, me too that would be pretty boring ocn. I'm also glad that not all users make childish personal remarks like you do on a consistent basis. --- Back to the topic at hand :rolleyes: If the GP had a more cohesive design that made it easier to forgive the subpar materials, my criticism would likely be less harsh. That said, even on Pontiac.com with all the "glamor shots" they have there you could see big gaps in interior trim fits and problems with alignment on the center stack. I'm sorry, but that interior just is not good any way you slice it. Edited by Croc

Guest YellowJacket894
The design in the previous generation Impala was much more pathedic than the Grand Prix, although I hate the 90,000 or so different vents on the dash of the GP. What are you trying to do, GM? Create a class 4 Hurricane in there?

Guest YellowJacket894
Espically when you find yourself driving it once in awhile. Ugh. Rough edges from moulding the openings for the HVAC vents, and the design was as exciting as hospital strawberry Jell-O. It does have good egronomics, granted, but I would have prefered to see the Monte and Impala share the same interior design.

I've sat in a few and can't get past the fact that I am disgusted this is what we have in a 25k-30k Pontiac. My constructive criticism would be to start over, and follow the things OC said about committee think and out of touch with reality materials, he's right on.

I, for one, am so glad all car interiors don't look like the '06 Topaz, I mean Milan.  Variety is the spice of life.  (I made that up.  Good one, huh?)

[post="54173"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

:CG_all:

I just looked on Pontiac.com, and as I suspected, the changes to the 06 GP are very, VERY minimal.  Sorry, it's still crap.

[post="54127"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You didn't take my advice... *shakes head*

I, for one, am so glad all car interiors don't look like the '06 Topaz, I mean Milan.  Variety is the spice of life.  (I made that up.  Good one, huh?)

[post="54173"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Agreed.

Yea, me too that would be pretty boring ocn.  I'm also glad that not all users make childish personal remarks like you do on a consistent basis.

---

Back to the topic at hand :rolleyes:

If the GP had a more cohesive design that made it easier to forgive the subpar materials, my criticism would likely be less harsh.  That said, even on Pontiac.com with all the "glamor shots" they have there you could see big gaps in interior trim fits and problems with alignment on the center stack.  I'm sorry, but that interior just is not good any way you slice it.

[post="54185"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You have a problem.

----

Back to the topic

You still haven't taken my advice...

Terrible interior. One of the worst I've seen from GM. I went to my sisters wedding a month ago and my dad rented a Grand Prix. They picked me up from the airport in it. Right when I got in(I sat in the front passenger seat) I was like this thing is hideous! My dad agreed with me and he retired from GM with 32 years in. It needs a whole revamp. You know how Pontiac is getting away from 'let's see how much plastic we can possibly put on the exterior of the car'. Well they need to get away from that in the interior as well. No wonder it was a rental car!!

:P ...Okay. The design isn't the greatest. I realize that and even I don't like it all that much. Everything about it is exaggerated and excessive. The lack of brightwork makes it even moreso. Still... I'm just trying to defend the dash plastics. Yeah, the center stack plastics are terrible, but on what 2004 or earlier GM vehicle honestly didn't? Not many, if any (again, luxury is always excluded for obvious reasons). But the actual plastics on the dash were acceptable and moreso than some vehicles like the 06 Impala. I can't comment on door panels and such since I'm not an interior freak like many here. I felt the dash. The Impala's had similar quality plastics on the very top, but from the faux wood down... it was hard and shiny. On the Grand Prix... it wasn't although the dash has no interepting design until the glove box with is quite low. I'm not sure I felt that far down. Even then, the majority is of the better quality plastic and it has more than the Impala. As for the rest, yeah fit and finish is about as poor as it gets. I never argued against that.

As for elaboration of the changes made incase some didn't realize it... The center stack was revised to include the passenger air bag moniter as well as a slightly different Driver Info display design. Chrome was added around the vents and the door handles. All silver trim was replaced with aluminum looking trim. The center console was also revised where that round control thing was removed; I forget what replaced it. The center of the steering wheel, "GP", was replaced with a Pontiac emblem. On the G6, the center stack plastic was changed. It is now the same plastic as the rest of the dash. Also, small chrome touches were added here and there. The radio and climate knobs, basically. See... while I'm not an interior freak, I am a Pontiac freak. I notice even the slightest of differences.

Yes, a few minor things were changed, but the quality of the interior was not. I don't need to sit in it to verify the existence of huge panel gaps that can be plainly seen in pictures. I also know that, while a few things were changed, the overall quality of the materials had not because if so, it would have been given a big fanfare on the site like it was with the 2006 Impala. Don't worry, I'll sit in one in January at LAIAS, but don't think I'll be wowed by a dated interior.

I wouldn't expect you to be wowed.. :P Even I am not wowed. I just don't care all that much. I don't sleep on the dash and I don't pet it... So as long as the dash looks good while the steering wheel, controls, and shifter feel good; I'm happy. :D Edited by blackviper8891

So....Many...Buttons...And...Vents :blink:

Seriously, thats my biggest gripe with Pontiacs--They have to unclutter their interiors.

[post="54937"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I have always found the GP's interior to be a disaster. The seats are overly hard and way overbolstered. The dash is an uncoordinated mess and very chunky looking and childish with all those silly vents and switches everywhere. The glovebox is placed way down where you can't see whats inside. There is no headroom whatsoever if you are over 6" tall, even with the seat moved all the way down. The rear seat is even worse. The backrest is hard as a rock. Try putting your toes under the front seat. It isn't going to happen. Move the front seat back a little more than half way and see how much room is leftover. Watch that head of yours as it's touching the rear window and pray that you don't go over any big bumps. Wanna rest your arm. Your only choice is a rock hard door rest as Pontiac eliminated the rear seat armrst in the switch over to split rear seats. All this plus it just feels clausterphobic back there. Looking at several buy back rentals I have noticed this superb quality that several are talking about. 2 cars with moonroof needed hercules to open and close the cover. Yet another example had the plastic trim around the rood falling off because it must have been warped. I tried to put it back in place but it kept popping back off. One 2005 had the trim around the lower door opening rockers coming off because of a weak clip. Several had steering wheels with silver that was worn off where the audio controls are. Several cars also chirped when the starter engaged as if they had stripped gears. It was very tough to find a used 2005 or 2005 that didn't have something wrong quality wise. This is all a shame really as the exterior is really the strong point of this car and that 260 hp 3800 S/C and 28 mph highway rating. I must say the 2006 does make some improvements to the interior that I noticed right off the bat and I did like the perforated leather wheel too. It's sad they took the light out of the glovebox as that makes it even harder to see whats in there at night.

Guest YellowJacket894
Geeze, nyscene. Say what I said earlier.

...I hate the 90,000 or so different vents on the dash of the GP. What are you trying to do, GM? Create a class 4 Hurricane in there?

But, yes, it is sort of ironic how the exteriors of all Pontiacs are becoming better with every generation but the interiors have kept the same theme since the '90s.

I've counted seven vents on the GP's dash. Which is sad. If it was six total and the passenger didn't have 4 vents a-blowin' at him alone, it would help. Let's face it, the GP is due for a mild refresh and the interior needs more work than the exterior, which I didn't have much of a problem with from the start.

Well... I think both the interior and exterior needs an equal amount of work. Both designs make me frown. The exterior needs to look less weird and exaggerated while the interior needs look more expesive and less cluttered. One thing I do like about the design, however, is the driver oriented-ness of it. I love how the center stack is angled towards the driver...

Actually... yes, they did. Slightly different design. :P But that's not to the quality of the plastics. That was for the G6 and it's center stack. Anyways, here's some advice for you... focus on the plastics only. Not the color, not the design, not the layout, not anything else. PLASTICS ONLY. Then get back to me with a response... Mmmkay?

[post="54009"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's kind of like trying to convince someone a morbidly obese hunchback with a pegleg and a missing eye is beautiful because they have perfect skin. Ain't gonna happen, man.

That's kind of like trying to convince someone a morbidly obese hunchback with a pegleg and a missing eye is beautiful because they have perfect skin.  Ain't gonna happen, man.

[post="56013"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Okay... Listen. I wasn't trying to say that because the plastic wasn't the crap half the people write it off as, that it automatically made it a good interior. Never have I said that. Never. If you'd read further on in the thread, you'd see that I'm not a fan of this interior. I was only talking about the plastics and I was trying to make that appearant so that maybe, just maybe, some would understand where I was coming from. Understand? :D

Okay... Listen. I wasn't trying to say that because the plastic wasn't the crap half the people write it off as, that it automatically made it a good interior. Never have I said that. Never. If you'd read further on in the thread, you'd see that I'm not a fan of this interior. I was only talking about the plastics and I was trying to make that appearant so that maybe, just maybe, some would understand where I was coming from. Understand? :D

[post="56074"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I did read the entire thread, but the fact remains that any defense of that interior is a futile effort.

Oh... so what? Maybe some people like the design. It is subjective, afterall. Maybe some people don't care about fit/finish either. I don't because I look at more important qualities of a car. For me, that happens to be how it looks since I don't pet my dash nor sleep on it. If it looks good and if the actual points of contact feel good... I'm satisfied. I'm not a hypocrite like some here(not necessarily directed at you). Another thing that is important is integrity. However, I've expressed dislike for this interior. None of the things I mentioned were done well in the GP (don't know about integrity). I was just trying to act like those hypocrites and join the "let's pet the dash even though we'll never touch it!" game and express how the dash plastics were better than most similar non-luxury GM vehicles... Is there anything wrong with that?

Damn, this forum has turned into a complete bash fest. Everyone is bashing everything. Doesn't matter what it is, who makes it, or how relevant it is... C&Gers will find a way to bash it. Even I'm quilty of it... :P Jeesh... :D

Oh... so what? Maybe some people like the design. It is subjective, afterall. Maybe some people don't care about fit/finish either. I don't because I look at more important qualities of a car. For me, that happens to be how it looks since I don't pet my dash nor sleep on it. If it looks good and if the actual points of contact feel good... I'm satisfied. I'm not a hypocrite like some here(not necessarily directed at you). Another thing that is important is integrity. However, I've expressed dislike for this interior. None of the things I mentioned were done well in the GP (don't know about integrity). I was just trying to act like those hypocrites and join the "let's pet the dash even though we'll never touch it!" game and express how the dash plastics were better than most similar non-luxury GM vehicles... Is there anything wrong with that?

Nah, and actually, if I'm reading this right, I think we actually agree on pretty much every point here.

Damn, this forum has turned into a complete bash fest. Everyone is bashing everything. Doesn't matter what it is, who makes it, or how relevant it is... C&Gers will find a way to bash it. Even I'm quilty of it... :P Jeesh... :D

[post="56351"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

How true. Usually, I try to stay out of it, but sometimes I just get into the mood for arguing.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest YellowJacket894

Well... I think both the interior and exterior needs an equal amount of work. Both designs make me frown. The exterior needs to look less weird and exaggerated while the interior needs look more expesive and less cluttered. One thing I do like about the design, however, is the driver oriented-ness of it. I love how the center stack is angled towards the driver...

[post="55968"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

If you like a driver-oriented dash, you'll flip over the '98 HUMMER H1's inner workings. But seriously, I'd hate to be the one in the passenger seat forced to listen to Big & Rich on a trip from Chicago to Seattle because it's a good mile to reach the radio controls.

The Grand Prix's exterior isn't all that bad to me. But, it's true, the G6's exterior is way better. And the G6 isn't the most aggressive Pontiac to hit the scene, either.

Let me just say Pontiac's having a very bad identity crisis. It wants to be mature and bad-assed all at the same time without a compromise. (And Chevy might be a small part of the problem, too.) Edited by anorexorcist

Let me just say Pontiac's having a very bad identity crisis. It wants to be mature and bad-assed all at the same time without a compromise. (And Chevy might be a small part of the problem, too.)

[post="61038"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You've just found that out? :P ...Jeesh, Chevy's been a problem for a long, long, long, long time. It's part of the reason the Fiero isn't produced anymore as well as some others. I've said it time and time again... Chevy's full of bastards. :lol: :D