So lone Misery

Satty

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, like Arizona.

Between you and a good childhood friend that lives in Las Vegas, I have pretty much written off the Southwest and the Intermountain West. It's pretty damn bleak, aesthetically speaking.

Between you and a good childhood friend that lives in Las Vegas, I have pretty much written off the Southwest and the Intermountain West. It's pretty damn bleak, aesthetically speaking.

Beauty's in the eye of the beholder - I love the SW.

Just checked the local (Missouri) news and the state hasn't yet burned, consider me disappointed. I loathe that state and cannot wait to leave for good. I wish only the worst for that $h!hole and its people.

Where do you want to move?

Chicago or somewhere on the east coast. I'm enjoying Maryland thusfar.

I've thought a lot about Chicago...I have ties there, lived there briefly while in grad school, like the city and the west/NW suburbs. Also maybe Pittsburgh (lots of family ties there) or further East. Then again, I may go back to Denver or to one of the West Coast extremities. Getting restless in AZ, want to repot myself in '10. I want to be in a big metro area w/ plenty of software engineering opportunities, a major hub airport, and more greenery, w/ hills or mountains nearby and an ocean, rivers or lakes nearby.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Winters are not cold there, and the summers are fantastic, with water recreation activities always within daytrip reach.

:huh:

Not cold here?

Maybe not as cold as it get's in Wisconsin, but you gotta remember our buddy Croc is used to California weather.

The winters here would be a pita to him. The summers are pretty nice tho and the foliage up here in the Pocono's plus all the nice waterfalls/creeks you see when driving down certain roads here during the fall is awesome.

There is ONE "South Central" and I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist outside of Los Angeles.

Eh, the Census Bureau recognizes a "west south central" and "east south central" division to the country. I'm sure local use could just chop off the east or west.

As for Maryland, we've got a pretty good thing going on here. :P

Texas isn't part of the South West. It has it's own region called South Central.

El Paso would argue they are Southwest, like Tucson. Houston is deep South in my opinion, while the panhandle is central like Oklahoma or Kansas. Texas is big.

Ugh my vote is east coast. Chicago...well, I find most people from there to be rather vulgar, and that accent...

<-----Chicago native, the unwashed masses dont effect me. That said, I've taken a liking to Virginia. The University of, not so much the location of said University.

<-----Chicago native, the unwashed masses dont effect me. That said, I've taken a liking to Virginia. The University of, not so much the location of said University.

And? I'm an Indianapolis native with very little to say that's positive about the place. I'll just say this: there are a LOT of nouveau riche in SoCal, and many, many of them came from the midwest. Not really drawing a conclusive link, just noting an observation.

Ugh my vote is east coast. Chicago...well, I find most people from there to be rather vulgar, and that accent...

Agree with you on this.

I like virtually all major East Coast metropolitan areas.

I especially agree with you on Chicago. Except for some interesting leading edge buildings in "the Loop," you can have it. I speak from the perspective of actually being a U of I alum. I could not stand the "chip on the shoulder" how-we-stack-up-against-East-Coast-cities litany coming from the students who came from Chicago proper and its sprawl of suburbs. Also, the Bruce Willis-John Belushi Chicago prototypical a-hole at the baseball game shoving too many hot dogs and too much beer down the hatch is another ugly Chicago persona, as are all their bimbos, saying words like "Chicaaaaago" and "Gaaaaad" and "Baaaaab."

However, I had real good impressions of those who came to U of I from equidistant cities like Indianapolis or Saint Louis...basically friendly people without any kind of chip. I got along with them very well, as I did with all of the downstate people who went to school there.

Re Houston - America's fourth largest city, so there's nothing remotely hick about it. It's really spread out, so it's kind of mindboggling. Their economy is in decent shape, as well. And, damn, there are a lot of good places to eat, including the best low-priced Greek grub I've ever tasted.

I learned last year that some grubs turn into lightning bugs, which makes me hesitant to use grub killer in my yard. I miss seeing copious amounts of lightning bugs lighting up a big ol' maple tree in unison on a warm summer night. I certainly could not eat grubs named Stefanopoulis, but... to each his own, I guess. Edited by ocnblu

Houston hasn't been "Deep South" for a very long time.

Did Houston move and not tell anyone? Last I saw, it's near the eastern border of TX and further south than every major city other than San Antonio, New Orleas, Orlando, and Miami.

And? I'm an Indianapolis native with very little to say that's positive about the place. I'll just say this: there are a LOT of nouveau riche in SoCal, and many, many of them came from the midwest. Not really drawing a conclusive link, just noting an observation.

Interesting developments this week may lead me eventually to Irvine, of all places. I've been steadily moving further west from NE Ohio since '94, maybe the OC is where it's at.

I certainly could not eat grubs named Stefanopoulis, but... to each his own, I guess.

The grub place is called Niko Nikos, with both indoor and outdoor seating, about 1 to 2 miles west of downtown (the original one being on Montrose Boulevard). I was there in April 2008, a little balmy during the day but perfect at night, so I drove in from my hotel in the 'burbs to eat there 2x. I seriously recommend it if you like Greek food: abundant pita serving, tasty tzaziki sauce, fantastic seasoned roasted potatoes and a not too oily Greek salad with feta crumbles. Also, there were friendly people from all over the metro area on the outdoor patio who had driven quite a ways to eat there. It's a Houston institution.

Interesting developments this week may lead me eventually to Irvine, of all places. I've been steadily moving further west from NE Ohio since '94, maybe the OC is where it's at.

Let us know what transpires.

sheep

I initially thought WTF, but now I get it. This is one of those meats that, if not of good quality or if prepared incorrectly, could be disgusting. That's why gyro meat is typically a blend of beef and lamb.

You're kidding, right? BTW, been to Daphne's yet?

Lamb's like a baby sheep, right? :) Haven't been. On their website, they list one near my office, but I went there and it's gone..a 5 and Diner there now. Will have to try one of the other locations.

You're kidding, right? BTW, been to Daphne's yet?

Bob there is a difference in those two meats and their taste. Whan you say Lamb meat in Indian or Arabic food it usually means Goat meat. It is usually lean compared to sheep meat which has more fat. In Indian food - sheep meat is considered inferior compared to the goat meat because extra fat it ruins the flavor.

Bob there is a difference in those two meats and their taste. Whan you say Lamb meat in Indian or Arabic food it usually means Goat meat. It is usually lean compared to sheep meat which has more fat. In Indian food - sheep meat is considered inferior compared to the goat meat because extra fat it ruins the flavor.

That I didn't know about Goat. I assumed Lamb and Sheep meant two variations.

Ok, I stand corrected. I didn't know they differed.

I get scared with that kind of stuff, having had bad lamb mess up an experience at a Greek restaurant or two.

Moltie, do try Daphne's somewhere when you get the chance...for about $8, the chicken combo plate is great (chicken skewer and shaved gyro meat) plus the other stuff one gets in a Greek platter...and their vegetarian combo isn't bad either, though not as good a value for the same price. Caution: they try to upsell you into a meal deal, where they add in a drink and a dessert (their baklava isn't that good and it's just a "cube").

Hahahaha yeah no one calls it "THE" OC if they're from SoCal...unless they're doing it ironically.

I can't stand Orange County...such a beautiful place, but the people...ugh. Some good ones, to be sure, but soooo many new monied boors.