AutoExtremist: Auto Mags Are DEAD

Guest Josh

I've been saying this for three years!

The traditional monthly car magazines are dead - they just don't know it yet.

Detroit. If you were to look at the balance sheets of the leading car magazines right now, you would be absolutely stunned at the staggering amounts of revenue they generate every year. Legendary money machines, these magazines make hundreds of millions of dollars annually for the corporate behemoths that lord over them with an iron fist. And if you look at the Big Picture only from those companies' perspective, then the good times seemingly will go on forever. But there are deep and growing cracks in the facade of these money machines - and these fissures threaten to destroy these notorious cash cows once and for all.

First of all, I'll make no bones about what I generally think of what passes for the car magazine biz these days, because it is a sad state of affairs indeed. What once was a an uproarious, fun and passion-filled profession has been reduced to a monthly death march of relentless tedium. The unbridled genius and inspired chaos that once ran rampant at the car magazines in their heyday has turned into an ugly, formulaic and painfully predictable tea dance of orchestrated sameness - and they've become homogenized and sanitized facsimiles watered down to the lowest common denominator.

Why has this happened? It's simple, really. These magazines have been clipped, cropped, chopped and neutered in order to adhere to their corporate overlords' revenue goals - and that means that at no time can these magazines ever offend the UGT (Ultimate Gravy Train) - aka the car companies.

Don't think so? You don't actually think it's coincidental that the car magazines have the same exact cover subjects almost every month, do you? The deckhands at the magazines contend that they're just bringing the latest stuff to their readers, and since they all get the same information as the other guys at the same time, that's just the way it works. And I will tell you that they've abandoned any shred of conviction and independent thought in favor of sinking into a comfortable, trance-like stupor brought on by the sheep-like cadence dictated by the car companies' model rollouts. In short, after years of practicing corporate servitude and succumbing to the carefully crafted wishes of the car companies' PR minions, the monthly car mags have become defacto shills for the product planning agendas and launch plans of the world's carmakers.

Full Read: http://www.autoextremist.com/page2.shtml#Rant

Then the Internet happened - and everything changed overnight.

Love that quote. However, I find it extremly interesting that Ford sent us exclusive imagery and General Motors fights us when it comes to obtaining embargoed media.

Something very very wrong with that picture.

One problem with the monthly magazines is that they all test the same cars every month - usually high priced Japanese and European sports and luxury cars. There's not much reason to pick one over another. They all seem to target readers that own three or more cars and have household incomes over $200,000. The message boards like this and Automotive News are my main sources of information, even though I still subscribe to three of the monthly magazines.

Let me use an example to explain why magazines shouldn't die.

We all remember what happened the last time C&G crashed. Everything was lost, pics, discussions, chops etc. I'm sure we all wish there was a hard-copy of the old C&G that we could refer to, but oh well...

So, you see why we need magazines. Think of it as "back-up" to everything on the internet.

It's been about 6 months since Ive bought a magazine. . . . I was never subscriber but I would buy atleast 4-5 differant mags in a month. Like everyone here has said. . . the internet is just way too quick compared to a magazine.

The only magazines worth reading are the niche magazines.

You can't find the feel that Racer gives you on the net. Drag racing gets next to no coverage. And my personal favorite, Street Rodder is a joy for no other reason than the advertising, in fact it's almost all advertising.

If there is a good reason for the big magazines to go away it comes down to one word. The word "comparo". The real definition of the word is "which corporation paid the most the get the most stars".

BTW if any of you knew Autoweek when it was Competition Press understand what a worthless rag it is now.

Wow, this guy hit the nail with a sledgehammer. Most of everything I've said more than once on these boards; auto 'journalists' "opinions" are dictated by editorial & corporate agendas, thus making the bulk of them irrelevant. Once the groundwork for a readership is in place, there's far too much at stake to distrupt that, therefore --regardless of the catalyst-- an 'opinion bias' is the inescapable result.

Hello,

I don't take exception to what you are saying however it appears that your focus is on car magazines that report about current models and production. I happen to subscribe to many magazines and none of them address current models i.e. Hemmings Muscle Machine, Hot Rod, Chevy Performance, Popular Hot Rodding, etc.

I enjoy each evening sitting down, not at a computer, reading and relaxing. For that I am grateful for car magazines and don't think I will stop anytime soon.

One problem with the monthly magazines is that they all test the same cars every month - usually high priced Japanese and European sports and luxury cars.  There's not much reason to pick one over another.  They all seem to target readers that own three or more cars and have household incomes over $200,000.  The message boards like this and Automotive News are my main sources of information, even though I still subscribe to three of the monthly magazines.

the car mags don't even test very many cars anymore that average folks can afford.

the car mags are so pompous, too.

motor trend quickly became the worst, between the tiny sepai toned images, the retread editorialists who couldn't keep their jobs elsewhere, and the lame articles written by an obviously age and location biased staff. to top it off, horrible car of the year selections.

Edited by regfootball

I gave on the monthy magazines because they were always so far behind. Several months late and always wrong. As for having the same articles, just remember two things, many are published by the same companies (Primedia, Hachette Filipacchi), and share content with foreign magazines, which are amongst the worst offenders when it comes to breaking embargoes. Car magazine used to be written partly by wealthy British comedians like Rowan Atkinson and Ronnie Barker, which made for very good reading. You'd get amusing long term tests of very expensive cars actually paid for by the writer (like Atkinson's own Bentley). It's gone far downhill since then, to the point where they can't tell the difreence between GM and DaimlerChrysler.

This article is 'right on' . The car mags have been groveling at the feet of car companies so long , that they could not give an honest assessment of a vehicle if their life depended on it......and it may well be!!!! They have been rubber stamps for companies for sooo long, I can't remember when I read a critical review to a design................................

motor trend had a huge blurb in their newest issue about the freestyle and meta one, i think it was how the freestyle was going to get killed and moved to mercury, like it was a new item (that had been reported like months ago). Just yesterday Annie at Ford said the Mercury version of the freestyle was killed and the ford is still around. Too funny. M/T's news is obsolete even before it hits the newsstands.

The Magazines should stick to reporting CONFIRMED stories, cause they look like complete and total idiots when they botch stuff and their info is dated.

I still get the magazines because they are cheap, but you have to get that 50% of the info in them is wrong and the other 50% is biased.

Basically the main thing the mags are good for are test numbers and if there is a comparison test. And then you have to know how out of whack their opinions are anyways.

I agree - if you want a real car magazine read Automotive Industries

I would like to agree with you, but Automotive Industries hasn't been anything more than a brochure for the industry in years. It's a shadow of its former self and the current owners aren't doing anything with it. I worked for the company that used to produce it and it was a great magazine then...back when it had over 100 pages per issue. Now it's just a 36-page brochure. Sad, really.

I still subscribe to the big four auto magazines and have for over ten years. While I will agree that they are "old news" many months - it is still entertaining. Plus, I can't bring my computer into the bathroom to read when I am busy on the throne.

I like both - the internet and print media. I often take both with a ton of salt.

Let me use an example to explain why magazines shouldn't die.

We all remember what happened the last time C&G crashed.  Everything was lost, pics, discussions, chops etc.  I'm sure we all wish there was a hard-copy of the old C&G that we could refer to, but oh well...

So, you see why we need magazines.  Think of it as "back-up" to everything on the internet.

This would be a perfect reason to have a DVD burner and copy the site each month so you have a backup copy of the C&G. I tend to copy info I like and want to have on hand to my local system and for long term burn DVD's of all my stuff. Equal to a magazine for me. :)

The only magazines worth reading are the niche magazines.

You can't find the feel that Racer gives you on the net. Drag racing gets next to no coverage. And my personal favorite, Street Rodder is a joy for no other reason than the advertising, in fact it's almost all advertising.

If there is a good reason for the big magazines to go away it comes down to one word. The word "comparo". The real definition of the word is "which corporation paid the most the get the most stars".

BTW if any of you knew Autoweek when it was Competition Press understand what a worthless rag it is now.

And that is the exact reason why my only car magazine subscription is Pontiac Enthusiast, because it is a niche monthly that caters only to a Pontiac Enthusiast and I don't have to read the drivel on the latest greatest refined import.

I would like to agree with you, but Automotive Industries hasn't been anything more than a brochure for the industry in years. It's a shadow of its former self and the current owners aren't doing anything with it. I worked for the company that used to produce it and it was a great magazine then...back when it had over 100 pages per issue. Now it's just a 36-page brochure. Sad, really.

Finacial Times Automotive was the best trade publication out there.

Whoa, now wait just a minute, let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. We're all worked up like a mob with pitchforks and torches in a Frankenstein movie. But consider this, I have my magazine rack in the "library" that I thumb thru and you can't do that with a laptop. Well, ok you could but would you really do that? I think not.

Whoa, now wait just a minute, let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. We're all worked up like a mob with pitchforks and torches in a Frankenstein movie. But consider this, I have my magazine rack in the "library" that I thumb thru and you can't do that with a laptop. Well, ok you could but would you really do that? I think not.

What? No WiFi setup with a wireless laptop? C'mon...move up into the 21st century!

I agree wholeheartedly. I have a whole stack of magazines that I'm suscribed to that I still haven't read (Road & Track, Automobile.)

The only thing I have bothered to look at every time is Automobile's design review written by Cumberford and Egan's articles in R&D. Other than that, it's all the same.

When I read a new magazine called MPH in a stand, it was like a ray of light. It's a breath of fresh air sometimes to hear some humor and wit in a magazine. It's something you don't see often anymore.

Edited by johnnyb

I agree wholeheartedly. I have a whole stack of magazines that I'm suscribed to that I still haven't read (Road & Track, Automobile.)

The only thing I have bothered to look at every time is Automobile's design review written by Cumberford and Egan's articles in R&D. Other than that, it's all the same.

When I read a new magazine called MPH in a stand, it was like a ray of light. It's a breath of fresh air sometimes to hear some humor and wit in a magazine. It's something you don't see often anymore.

MPHmag posts on here, I believe he's a writer for the magazine.

I've subscribed to Car & Driver and Road & Track for over 25 years and Automobile for about 20...they aren't as good as they used to be...not as many new stuff surprises since everything seems to be on the 'net before the print mags. I still enjoy paper mags, though--for reading on the sofa on a lazy Sunday afternoon, reading in the bathroom, in bed (I'm not going to lug the laptop around to read them online).

I also frequently pick up Car, Top Gear, and Evo..I enjoy the Brit mags...for specific old-car and buff magazines, I subscribe to Collectible Automobile, Hemmings Muscle Machines, and Bimmer. I pick up Mopar Muscle, Mustang Monthly, Classic and Sports Car, and others occasionally.-

The only magazines of much value I read are AutoWeek and Automobile-that's about it, with the Internet being where I get most news. And I forgot about Car, occasionally Auto Express (not so much these days), and Collectible Automobile, the latest issue of which had something on the history of Chevrolet in Brazil or other parts of Latin America. Car is expensive though-the U.S.A. price is now like $9.25, or more than double that of Automobile or a regular U.S.A. magazine.

Edited by Mule Bakersdozen LS

The only magazines of much value I read are AutoWeek and Automobile-that's about it, with the Internet being where I get most news. And I forgot about Car, occasionally Auto Express (not so much these days), and Collectible Automobile, the latest issue of which had something on the history of Chevrolet in Brazil or other parts of Latin America. Car is expensive though-the U.S.A. price is now like $9.25, or more than double that of Automobile or a regular U.S.A. magazine.

Someone else who reads Collectible Automobile (and Car)!! How long have you been reading CA?

You "punks" are all too young to even know or remember how car mags in this country got started.

It all began out of frustration ---- the car companies would not tell you anything

about their products, other than what was printed in the dealer literature.

Tom MacCahill at Mechanix Illustrated is the one who broke the ice! He conned

Ford into "lending" him a car, for a magazine "photo shoot", and he proceeded to

"wring it out", and then write his opinions of it for a magazine article.

Nobody would print it, because it was critical, until Mechanix Illustrated took a chance. They ran out of copies! History was started.

Similar with Motor Trend and Hot Rod. They were started out of frustration, in order to spread information that the manufacturers would not give you!

The turn-around has come about, because those independent pioneers have either

passed on, or their products have been sold to people with other interests! All

of the big car mags are now foreign owned!

Auto Week went down the tubes when the ol' man died! They used to be the most

up-to-date source of actual, factual automotive data, but not any more.

Now all of these mags are catalog extensions for the car companies or SEMA

companies!

When was the last time you saw an article about swapping factory parts from

one model to another?

Two other factors have brought about the demise of GOOD car mags.

One is the Federal Clean Air Act, and it's penalties for parts substitution, abetted

by the California Air Control Board at their arrogant ostrich-like attitudes.

The other is an unspoken rule that all things good automotively have to come

from California! There is no other place in this country that has good, intelligent

automotive news, if it did not originate there!

The outcast exception is GM HighTech magazine, but that is a bi-monthly, and is on a very short leash! Again, it is foreign-owned!

Well, these are my opinions, ----- from a very frustrated ol' hot rodder, who is not

a pro, and does it because I enjoy mechanical things. :deadhorse:

You "punks" are all too young to even know or remember how car mags in this country got started.

You make some great points...and recalling Tom McCahill may get some kids to read his old reviews. But you have TWO problems with car magazines..and they're quite different.

Unabbridged commentary on products is non-existant, but reading between the lines will get some answers. It's nothing like a McCahill review and no manufacturer outside of minor import brands will get completely beat up in a review (Consumer Reports beat up Suzuki and Isuzu but how about Ford Bronco IIs?). Today, car companies lend magazines products and provide them with support (financial and otherwise). The media and the car companies are closely tied...for the good (and bad) of both.

Your other problem seems to be in the "hot roddding" magazine subsector. Swapping parts is found in these magazines still, but the Big4 magazines (which should but doesn't include Hot Rod) never really covered this territory as a first priority. Magazines like Hot Rod and High Tech Performance (I wrote for them before they added the "GM" prefix) fit your desires a bit more closely.

Hudson,

Who do you consider the Big 4???

All the car mags were created for enthusiasts, who could not get answers to their inquiries from their usual "local" sources.

Your inference to "Hot Rodding" ignores the fact that, that was one of the prime movements that created car mags after WWII. Yes, sub-cultures did occur---- later!

BTW, I did have a copy of Vol 1, #1 Hot Rod, dated October 1946

(I think that was the year), but I sold it many years ago!

I have had voluminous collections of many car publications that have long ago gone by the wayside.

Another name to throw out for the foreign buffs was(is) David E Davis, but he too sold out, for big bucks!

It used to be that most of the mags were run by frustrated, ex-engineers, who knew whereof they spoke. Today's writers sound like

they all grew up with left-handed monkey-wrenches as their only

weapon of choice!

Anybody ever hear of Doug Marion, over at Super Chevy? He was a

hands-on guy, who rose up the ladder & then disappeared!

Oh yeah, on the factory parts swapping thing----- when have you seen an article about putting a Buick supercharger on any other GM engine? There have been plenty of articles about this type of modification, but all with after-market, expensive SEMA parts, not with bone-yard resurrections! :banghead:

Posted Image

Edited by rkmdogs

Hudson,

Who do you consider the Big 4???

Automobile, Car and Driver, Motor Trend, and Road & Track...the "Big4" monthlies. These are the biggest general interest car magazines. While Hot Rod is actually larger (by circulation and ad dollars) than two or three of these, it's a specific interest car magazine...the leader of that "niche."

I have had voluminous collections of many car publications that have long ago gone by the wayside.

My collection numbers somewhere above 2,400 issues covering over half a century and more than 200 titles (many of which are single issues in the collections).

Hudson,

GREAT collection! My all-time favorite tho was "Car Life," published by John R. Bond, I believe after he left Road & Track. Second choice is the earlier "Car Craft",

but that has had so many editors, it is like a revolving door.

Where do you find the room to store them?

I have had 2 collections in the past.

The first, went back to 1946, as I mentioned. But then my wife insisted that the attic was sagging, so I sold over 600 issues, back in the mid 60's.

My second start was from 1962 until 2004, but I gave that one up when we moved South, for lack of space. The pic attached was my barn, laid out on 3 4'x8' tables as you could see.

I also sold over 3600 pieces of dealer lit, catalogs, FSM, and owners

manuals to a guy in NY, who sells on the web, by the piece!

My collection now consists of only about 200 selected copies, for special

items or vehicles of interest.

One of my pet peeves----- all the mags & video car shows tout engine

changes that include the use of a carb, instead of fuel injection!

When was the last time that Detroit, or anywhere sold a new vehicle

with a carburetor?

This is one of the myths being continued on the great unwashed, because fuel injection is too complicated or requires sophisticated

computer programs to decipher. How many of those cars can pass

the emissions tests for the street in CA.?

Edited by rkmdogs

Hudson,

GREAT collection! My all-time favorite tho was "Car Life," published by John R. Bond, I believe after he left Road & Track. Second choice is the earlier "Car Craft"

I think Car Life merged into Motor Trend.

Where do you find the room to store them?

I have a dedicated library with 2,400+ magazines and 500+ books, mostly automotive. It kinda comes with the territory.

I don't believe this to be the case. I think that they just went "belly-up" as so many

fo the mags did at that time.

They were started by writers who were very successful in other mags, but could

not sustain them on their own.

This was all before the French companies started buying up US car mags!

John R. Bond had been with Road & Track, but left there when it got sold.

Nobody has answered my question -- what happened to Doug Marion@

Super Chevy after George Elliot got killed in that jet car accident and Argus Publishing got sold. I know that he was involved with the first Super Chevy shows,

but then disappeared from the auto mag scene.

He published my first article on Malibu's. in Sept. 1987.

Wow, this guy hit the nail with a sledgehammer. Most of everything I've said more than once on these boards; auto 'journalists' "opinions" are dictated by editorial & corporate agendas, thus making the bulk of them irrelevant. Once the groundwork for a readership is in place, there's far too much at stake to distrupt that, therefore --regardless of the catalyst-- an 'opinion bias' is the inescapable result.

PERFECT!!!

I'm glad that EVERYONE isn't snowed.

I agree 100%! Everything is there, even the gorgeous photography! As it stands now, MPH or Automotive News are about the only 2 worth more than extra TP in the men's room.

I don't believe this to be the case. I think that they just went "belly-up" as so many fo the mags did at that time.

Find an old (1970s vintage) copy of Motor Trend. Right on the cover, I believe it says "incorporating Car Life and Sports Car Graphic" (pardon my poor memory if it's not exact).

Also, see the link below that backs up my poor memory.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enthusiast...S216.A5749.html

Find an old (1970s vintage) copy of Motor Trend. Right on the cover, I believe it says "incorporating Car Life and Sports Car Graphic" (pardon my poor memory if it's not exact).

Also, see the link below that backs up my poor memory.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enthusiast...S216.A5749.html

Hudson,

I don't have a copy of Motor Trend in that vintage handy at this time, but

THANKYOU, THANKYOU, THANKYOU for the lead to the wonderful story by Mike Davis in the Yoostsbee column.

Unfortunately, he did not mention the rival publisher, Argus, that had been owned by George Elliot, nor it's subsequent sale to Prime Media, after George's untimely death.

There are so many nich mags out there it is hard to keep track. I remember another good one that pulled no punches, Mopar Performance.

Chrysler put them out of business tho, for using their slang name. What a shame!

Would you care to share some other long-gone mags with us? I know that I had

tons more, many out-of-print, but can't remember a single one right now! :duh:

Would you care to share some other long-gone mags with us? I know that I had

tons more, many out-of-print, but can't remember a single one right now! :duh:

Good and bad.

I remember when Motor Trend briefly revived "Sports Car Graphic" in the late 1970s. It featured some interesting articles including one on the Lotus Sunbeam (known in lesser forms in the US as the Dodge Omni and Plymouth Horizon). The pictures were fantastic and I've wanted one ever since reading this article. The magazine also featured something that has been lost to time and techonogy: hand-drawn pictures.

The short-lived 1990s magazine "Classic Automobile Register" was William Jeanes' (of "Car and Driver" fame) attempt at an upscale car magazine. It had some interesting features and articles, but it was a bi-monthly and apparently didnt' find a market. My charter subscription was converted into extending my "Road & Track" subscription when the magazine folded.

Bad....did I say "bad?" I meant AWFUL. Ever see "Auto Phyle?" Not to be confused with the "AutoWeek" publication "Auto File," this one was self-published. I don't recall the publisher's name, but a co-worker of mine looked the magazine over and assumed that the layout for the magazine had been done on a Mac (it was a standard Mac format, according to him). The pictures are good, the subjects very good, the writing and research, terrible. I bought one issue (early 1990s) at Tower Books. The research turned my stomach. A few years later, I bought a complete set (12 issues) of the magazine at a charity auction for less than $10. I open them up whenever I need a laugh.

Hudson,

Do you recall........ what was the name of the mag that Tom McCahill

started on his own?

I had the entire publication--- 12 volumes, that I sold with my first collection disposal, but I can't recall the name.

Hudson,

Do you recall........ what was the name of the mag that Tom McCahill

started on his own?

I had the entire publication--- 12 volumes, that I sold with my first collection disposal, but I can't recall the name.

I didn't know he started his own publication...unless it was "Tom McCahiill's..." something or another, which sounds vaguely familiar now that I say it.

Hudson,

Just recalled another one, while rummaging out in the garage-shed.

Popular Hot Rodding.................

I don't know if this one is still around, but I have issues up thru 2004,

so I presume it is still available.

This was geared mostly for the hands-on, do-it-yourself kind of

enthusiast, and always had low-cost mods and tech tips. I think its'

popularity went up as the more competition-oriented mags seemed to

turn into "professional-racing report cards."(Meaning you had better be spending mega-bucks!)

That attitude turned off a lot of the week-end warrior types, who had to

race on weekends what they drove to work during the week! ^_^

AND.......

Do you remember the mini-mags?

These were great for those bathroom reading expeditions.

This one was one of the best!

Posted Image:pbjtime:

Edited by rkmdogs

Back in the 1970's, I enjoyed Road Test magazine. I still have a few copies around. One thing I liked is that it posted car sales every month. Back then, the only alternative to getting the figures was subscribing to Automotive News.

Been reading CA for a number of years; didn't subscribe but bought my first issue in '85 and have been growing my collection over time. Same for SIA- of which I got a boxful from a co-worker who's father subscribed.

Old Cars Weekly has some very interesting pieces in it, and it's nice to get something every handful of days instead of waiting (in some cases) 2 months.

I used to pick up Car Craft, Hot Rod & PHrodding, but they cater so overwhelmingly to the Chevy crowd that I quickly got disgusted. Rod & Custom often has different tech ideas for the hands-on among us.

I was able to get a years subscription to road and track, car and driver, and motor trend for 8 bucks...so I bought it...Other than that I also have Auto Aficionado which is a very nice automotive journal which many of you would probably enjoy...It is kind of new, infact, I know the guy who makes it and my name is even in a few issues...I help out on it...It's a really nice, high end magazine...a bit on the pricey side,but deffinitely a beautiful mag and well worth it. Like I said, you guys would be interested...a nice mix of classics, high end cars, and exotics from all eras.

Someone else who reads Collectible Automobile (and Car)!! How long have you been reading CA?

I want to say about 1998 or so? I have the Cars of 1957 Issue and the one with the Plymouth Duster/Sedan Deliveries in it-I plan on getting the one with the Latin American Chevy's this weekend or so, its a great niche magazine, I wish I got the issue with the old stillborn Lincoln's i(1981 Lancelot, anyone?) n it, and still I kick myself for it, lol. I love especially the clay models and drawings and the retrospective insight in there. However, there's been a lot of imports in there lately, but its still interesting to read about them. Car I've been reading since 1995-when I got my first issue.

Wow, I never knew we had so many contibuters to car magazines on this site. Amazing! :blink:

rkmdogs: Therein lies the problem. Every time one of us young "punks" (I'm guessing we don't get called "kids" until we are at least 30) tries to find any issues of Hot Rod/Car Craft/PHR/Four Wheeler/Peterson's 4 Wheel and Off Road dating back more than a few years that the tribal elders keep saying are so great we always find they are being hoarded by somebody with 3,000 of them and who doesn't want to part with a single one or let the unsterilized hands of a stranger even touch them. "

Joe,

Sorry if my terminology seemed offensive, but at the time I was only trying

to get some attention. You are not "young punks" but are instead "uneducated

enthusiasts". I, and other "older enthusiasts" shall attempt to enlighten you.

As you may have noted in my previous posts, I have sold my collections twice!

Now, I donate the ones that I don't want to keep for reference to a local

garage as "reading material" for their customers.

My major complaint with all of the current pubs is that their articles sound more

like extensions from some manufacturers publicity department, instead of

being a useful piece of information to their readers. They never get their hands dirty or their knuckles skinned --- some shop "donates" the grunt work for the

free advertising! Yet the writer goes on about how "poor" they are!

Even the on-TV shows seem like hour-long commercials for some manufacturer

of choice extolling the virtues of their latest piece of after-market crap!

Never mind that it costs mega-bucks, or that they donated it for the TV show!

The on-air restoration shows, like Foose's, or the Boyd Coddington soap opera

never address the issue from the average joe's position; Just, some lucky guy

is getting a free ride! :ohyeah:

Edited by rkmdogs