Sign in to follow this  
z28luvr01

You need a car and have 16K on hand. What do you get?

Title says it all.

So many choices....

But, as of this moment, I'd hunt down the cleanest 2500/2500 HD 4x4 with a plow that I could find.

Need exceeds want at the moment.

But that LS2 GTO is sounding mighty good...

2002 300M Special, SRT Design wheels, repaint for my Intrepid, cat back dual exhaust for both, refinish my wheels, pocket the rest. :P

Although I do really like both the Focus and new Fiesta.

• Upvote 1

I have always had a soft spot for the last gen Dakotas...just the right size for me.

I'd love a beater Jeep to take off roading and use in the winter to keep my car away from evil salt.

A low mileage 1993 Mustang Cobra in teal. They can usually be had for $14-18K in nice shape. It would be a garage queen though.

• Upvote 1

Assuming I can't buy 16 $1K cars or 8 2K cars (hey, you need spares), I'd have to say the late model GTO is the only way to go.

If I had $16K to buy my mother a car, I'd get her a ~2008 Camry Hybrid with ~30K miles. Good visibility, solid structure, 3600 lbs, economical, and easy to drive. Being so cheap, it's hard to imagine spending twice as much for a brand new Fusion Hybrid.

But if I were buying a car for myself, a used European sports sedan will do - E39 5-series, B5 or B6 Audi A4 or S4 (preferably Avant) - and the rest will go toward maintenance. A CPO MINI (Cooper S, if possible) or new Fiesta, if I wanted to be practical.

I'd do what I just did and buy a 2007 Saab 9-5 Aero. It's fully loaded, performs pretty well though the suspension is a little harsh, gets very good gas mileage and still has 1.5 years of factory warranty on it (2.5 yrs of powertrain) assuming Saab survives that long. So far I'm very happy with my purchase. Of course, I wanted a practical, fun to drive family car that will work well during Michigan winters. Without those requirements, I would have bought something else. I would have preferred a G8 but prices on those (even the 6 cyl models) are actually higher than what I could have bought a brand new one for a year ago.

Congrats on the new car, 2 quick...

In answer to the question....hmmm....

If I could find a decent BMW Clownshoe Coupe or E30 M3, that might be nice...

Or a GTI, manual, clean, couple of years old...

Or a used Cooper S....

Or a Cobalt SS TC used....

Or a nice clean SVTR Focus and 8k to take a trip to New Zealand or someplace interesting.

But probably the Cooper S....

Although the grage queen 93 Cobra in teal sounds like a winner also...as does a GTO..

Chris

I'd do what I just did and buy a 2007 Saab 9-5 Aero. It's fully loaded, performs pretty well though the suspension is a little harsh, gets very good gas mileage and still has 1.5 years of factory warranty on it (2.5 yrs of powertrain) assuming Saab survives that long. So far I'm very happy with my purchase. Of course, I wanted a practical, fun to drive family car that will work well during Michigan winters. Without those requirements, I would have bought something else. I would have preferred a G8 but prices on those (even the 6 cyl models) are actually higher than what I could have bought a brand new one for a year ago.

I think the warranty claim reverts to GM should anything happen to Spyker. That's why the sale took so long because GM wanted to be sure that Saab was staying gone and that they wouldn't have to take old warranty claims if Spyker failed.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook