Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Buick Enclave and AUTOMOBILE

So, I'm flipping through the recent Automobile...

Came across a short section on the Enclave where it said "Other than the Buick ventiports and grille, [the Enclave] is completely generic"

And then this jewel:

(Might not be the exact quote) "The aluminum on the dash looks like an unrefined knife blade and the REAL wood looks FAKE."

***This is further proof that the anti-GM media sentiment is TOO powerful for GM to overcome. I said it with the Solstice and I'll say it again; GM will NEVER be good enough for the media.

The Enclave is BEAUTIFUL, yet this is the respect GM gets.... These smart assed, exaggerated one liners that have NO JUSTIFICATION.

NOW, apparently Buick show car inspired exteriors are "GENERIC" and excellent, beautiful GM interiors are "Unrefined and fake looking"

***Oh, and there was little positive about ANY of GM's show cars in this issue. (Camaro, Aveo, Enclave, GMT900)

:bs: :angry2: :thumbsdown::cussing::nono: :twocents: :censored::fiery:

I'm glad I cancelled my Automobile subscription, I hated it.

That sounds like some complete BS. The Enclave's wood doesn't look fake at all, and if it's "generic," what is your everyday Japanese car?

What did they say about the Camaro and GMT900s?

You know what would be cool? And it would never happen, but it'd be cool if Toyota developed a car and then put like a Chevy logo on it and we saw what the press would say about it.

Or vice versa... GM developed a car and put a Toyota logo on it. Wonder if the opinion would truly be corrupted?

People always bitch about everything. This doesn't faze me nor should it faze anyone. Edmunds spent a whole paragraph of a ten-paragraph review describing how my car's cupholder flipped out when you close the center console as if that made a rat's ass.

I agree that the aluminum could look a bit better but that is one of my three Enclave complaints, the others being the center stack and the probability that the production version will not be as great as the concept.

Or vice versa... GM developed a car and put a Toyota logo on it.  Wonder if the opinion would truly be corrupted?

That's already happened. Toyota sold the Chevrolet Cavalier as the Toyota Cavalier for awhile in Japan, and the car flopped.

And as everyone should know, the opposite has happened: the Corolla based Chevrolet Nova of the mid to late 1980's. It was a moderate success.

Edited by ehaase

I'm not sure how well this relates to the topic at hand, but GM recently showed the Saturn Aura to a group of 5 people. Without the Saturn badges, all 5 approved of the design. When the Saturn badges were uncovered, only 2 approved.

That's unfortunate to hear from Automobile. I think the Enclave is a design done right...and the interior (spare two issues I had previously mentioned) is a winner.

As for subscriptions...I don't see any point in subscribing to automotive magazines because the news is old and the reviews end up on the net. Kind of like VHS tapes...

One thing I do like about Automobile...perhaps the only thing...is Robert Cumberford's design analysis. I don't always agree with him, but the way he breaks his reviews down is interesting and educational...I wish he'd break off from Automobile and do a weekly analysis...kind of like CarDesignNews, but free.

That's already happened.  Toyota sold the Chevrolet Cavalier as the Toyota Cavalier for awhile in Japan, and the car flopped. And as everyone should know, the opposite has happened:  the Corolla based Chevrolet Nova of the mid to late 1980's.  It was a moderate success.

And honda sold the nsx as an acura and it flopped. The point is critical success, not whether it would be a sales success or not.

That's unfortunate to hear from Automobile.  I think the Enclave is a design done right...and the interior (spare two issues I had previously mentioned) is a winner.

As for subscriptions...I don't see any point in subscribing to automotive magazines because the news is old and the reviews end up on the net.  Kind of like VHS tapes...

One thing I do like about Automobile...perhaps the only thing...is Robert Cumberford's design analysis.  I don't always agree with him, but the way he breaks his reviews down is interesting and educational...I wish he'd break off from Automobile and do a weekly analysis...kind of like CarDesignNews, but free.

I wonder if this review we're talking about is part of Cumberford's design analysis. If so, then it seems fair, as he equally pans cars from all manufacturers.

I'm not sure how well this relates to the topic at hand, but GM recently showed the Saturn Aura to a group of 5 people.  Without the Saturn badges, all 5 approved of the design.  When the Saturn badges were uncovered, only 2 approved.

I believe it without question.

But of course, professional 'journalists' never have a shred of similar bias in their veins, oh no!

Who cares.  Once the Enclave comes out, they'll sell like hot cakes and shut magazines like Automoblah up.

Let's hope so.

I'm still impressed how well the Rendezvous did... I swore up and down that it was not Buick, it was going to flop when it came out.

That's already happened.  Toyota sold the Chevrolet Cavalier as the Toyota Cavalier for awhile in Japan, and the car flopped.

And as everyone should know, the opposite has happened:  the Corolla based Chevrolet Nova of the mid to late 1980's.  It was a moderate success.

Vibe.

It wasn't credited, but I'm pretty sure it was that asshole Cumberford, as it was just as ARROGANT and OUT OF TOUCH as the rest of his writing.

To be fair, MOST of the cars (Well domestics anyway--as that was all I cared to read) in that Automobile were panned.

I'm *STILL* hopeful that the Enclave will help save Buick and I think overall it has gotten GOOD articles. The question is: will it continue to get good press in production?

Cumberford once wrote about a 1957 Chevrolet and in the article, he did nothing but talk down about the car and the era of time. I felt personally offended because I am a restorer... And I'll tell you what... I'd be willing to compare the residuals of that '57 Chevy with ANY of Cumberfords coveted Jap traps any day.

**And BTW, Consumer Reports says that the Enclave borrows cues from the Lexus RX and Infiniti FX.... But, I later felt vindicated because they said that the new Sentra looks like a Saturn Ion.... LOL :D***

what Enclave was he writing about? I haven't seen the issue. Was he talking about the concept or has he been in a production version?!

Until we've driven a real one it is silly to argue about it. If the Tahoe/Escalade/Yukon is the new standard we're dealing with I have higher hopes for this range of SUVs and the future of GM. But don't throw the solstice in for comparisons it still isn't up there.

"Solstice....stil isn't up there"

???????

The Solstice is an EXCELLENT vehicle and the DEFINING turning point for GM.

He was reffering to the concept.

Honestly, I've been in a real Solstice, and there are certain fit and finishing issues. Drastic improvement from the past, but definitely there's still room.

Honestly, I've been in a real Solstice, and there are certain fit and finishing issues. Drastic improvement from the past, but definitely there's still room.

I agree... It could use some work. BUT, it is an excellent car overall!

GM would be doing excellent in their turnaround bid if they had 4 more "hits" that were the caliber of the Solstice.

The Internet is wayyy more fun to read than the fading Auto Rags. Even Autoextremist says they are on a 'death watch'.

They pretty mcuh all say the same drivel for what I call 'casual car fans'. Those that only care about image and media sound bites, and wouldn't know anything about what's under the hood.

Agreed on the anti-GM sentiment in the media.

I went to Ft. Wayne tonight (Friday) and going through the car dealerships, just looking around, and lo-and-behold. The Toyota dealership is still open! I thought they were closed until I got out of my car to glare at a Scion tC (it did have a stick though) and damn, he said he wanted one more sale before he left for the night, a younger guy too, probably not much older than me, and holy crap was he an eager little pain! Gave me the card and everything. From my experience tonight, no wonder some people think the Japanese companies are shoving products down the U.S. market's throat. An experience at a Honda place was the same (I was looking around for anything with a manual transmission). Kind of scary!

I'm not sure how well this relates to the topic at hand, but GM recently showed the Saturn Aura to a group of 5 people.  Without the Saturn badges, all 5 approved of the design.  When the Saturn badges were uncovered, only 2 approved.

....and hence GM's REAL challenge in the marketplace......good products or not.....it's the perception they are battling.

• 3 weeks later...

When I saw the Enclave in Detroit - my first reaction was " what Lexus? " Then I looked more and fell in love more. Cannot wait to see it production form.

As for the ragazines...the days are numbered thanks to the web. We have already seen everything that they are printing a month or more prior. I have cancelled all of my subscriptions...I get my news on the web now. It is easier to delete something on the computer than it is to have to recycle the rags any way.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, whatever your politics the rise of alternatie media such as conservative talk radio have helped counter liberal bias in the media. Perhap the Import bias of the autopress will be countered by an alternative media like autoblogs such as Chees & Gears? :CG_all:

....and hence GM's REAL challenge in the marketplace......good products or not.....it's the perception they are battling.

This will improve with time and as more products are introduced. Right now the idea of Saturn is Vues S-series, and L-series. We here know the future is bright for Saturn and are anticipating those cars. The public will warm up to the new Saturns as more and more are on the road. When Aura, Sky, Outlook, Vue, and Astra are all new, Saturn will be at 1 million units or more. Perception will take a few years to catch up but as long as the new product is rolling out on the streets, the people will begin to react. This is how Nissan, Infiniti, even Honda have all changed over the years. It happened for them, it will happen for us as cooler cars that are desirable are released.