2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Limited

So... I was originally searching for a Grand Prix GTP Comp-G, as some of you may know. I had my preferred dealership looking for one, but it had been a few weeks. I decided to check in to see how the search was going. Upon pulling in, this red car catches the corner of my eye. It's sitting in the far lot and looks to be new. "Is that a... Legacy? Oh... I think it is. Wait... *catches sight of a hood scoop* Thats a GT!" Closer inspection reveals it is, indeed, a 2.5GT and it is fresh off the truck with the auction stickers still displayed. "This just might do." After some talks confirmed that they still haven't found my car of choice, I automatically ask about the Legacy. Once I get behind the wheel, I'm sold. They didn't even have a price for me yet, so they hold it for until I can come back in. Two days later, we finalize it. After everything was said and done, I paid about $13k including tax and tags. KBB retail was $16.6k, so I'm pretty satisfied.

Some details:

• 85k miles
  • 250hp turbo Boxer-4
  • 5spd manumatic
  • Heated leather
  • Sunroof
  • 6CD changer with integrated sub.
  • Dual zone automatic climate
  • Electroluminescent gauges
  • HID headlights
  • Tinted windows
  • 17" wheels with snow tires
  • 2 previous owners
  • Clean carfax save for $1500 fender bender with 2nd owner

Unlike the Grand Prix, where I would have wanted to do some extensive modifications, I'm mostly satisfied with this Legacy as is. I do plan on upgrading the brakes and tires soon. As well, I could see a cold air intake and cat-back exhaust in its future, but its plenty fast as it is.

Now, for pics.

legacy1.jpg

legacy2.jpg

legacy3.jpg

legacy4.jpg

legacy5.jpg

legacy6.jpg

legacy7.jpg

legacy8.jpg

legacy9.jpg

legacy10.jpg

legacy11.jpg

legacy12.jpg

legacy13.jpg

legacy14.jpg

legacy15.jpg

legacy16.jpg

legacy17.jpg

legacy18.jpg

legacy19.jpg

legacy20.jpg

legacy21.jpg

legacy22.jpg

legacy23.jpg

legacy24.jpg

legacy25.jpg

So... I was originally searching for a Grand Prix GTP Comp-G, as some of you may know. I had my preferred dealership looking for one, but it had been a few weeks. I decided to check in to see how the search was going. Upon pulling in, this red car catches the corner of my eye. It's sitting in the far lot and looks to be new. "Is that a... Legacy? Oh... I think it is. Wait... *catches sight of a hood scoop* Thats a GT!" Closer inspection reveals it is, indeed, a 2.5GT and it is fresh off the truck with the auction stickers still displayed. "This just might do." After some talks confirmed that they still haven't found my car of choice, I automatically ask about the Legacy. Once I get behind the wheel, I'm sold. They didn't even have a price for me yet, so they hold it for until I can come back in. Two days later, we finalize it. After everything was said and done, I paid about $13k including tax and tags. KBB retail was $16.6k, so I'm pretty satisfied.

Some details:

• 85k miles
  • 250hp turbo Boxer-4
  • 5spd manumatic
  • Heated leather
  • Sunroof
  • 6CD changer with integrated sub.
  • Dual zone automatic climate
  • Electroluminescent gauges
  • HID headlights
  • Tinted windows
  • 17" wheels with snow tires
  • 2 previous owners
  • Clean carfax save for $1500 fender bender with 2nd owner

Unlike the Grand Prix, where I would have wanted to do some extensive modifications, I'm mostly satisfied with this Legacy as is. I do plan on upgrading the brakes and tires soon. As well, I could see a cold air intake and cat-back exhaust in its future, but its plenty fast as it is.

Now, for pics.

legacy1.jpg

legacy2.jpg

legacy3.jpg

legacy4.jpg

legacy5.jpg

legacy6.jpg

legacy7.jpg

legacy8.jpg

legacy9.jpg

legacy10.jpg

legacy11.jpg

legacy12.jpg

legacy13.jpg

legacy14.jpg

legacy15.jpg

legacy16.jpg

legacy17.jpg

legacy18.jpg

legacy19.jpg

legacy20.jpg

legacy21.jpg

legacy22.jpg

legacy23.jpg

legacy24.jpg

legacy25.jpg

Sounds Really nice, weird point is I see a bunch of gray box's but no pictures, even your tag picture was no showing but at least when I clicked on the gray box it shows me your blackviper tag image. Seems the rest of the site is doing this too, did something change to no longer show pictures?

Over all should be a fun car for you to drive and enjoy. Congratulations. :metal:

That's what I thought, too... until I saw the separate intake.

Well the hood scoop isn't the intake for the engine, it's the intake for the intercooler. So the intercooler would do most of the cooling of the intake air. Having a CAI might help, but not by much since the intercooler would already be doing most of the cooling work for you.

That's what I thought, too... until I saw the separate intake.

Well the hood scoop isn't the intake for the engine, it's the intake for the intercooler. So the intercooler would do most of the cooling of the intake air. Having a CAI might help, but not by much since the intercooler would already be doing most of the cooling work for you.

I agree that a CAI will likely be of marginal value... not because of the intercooler already having a cold air source, but because you can see the intake is right behind the grill, so its already getting fairly cold air. Remember, even if the intake air is cold, compressing it heats it up... so having two scoops will keep it the coolest.

Of course, it looks like that intake is severely bent and/or restricted. His "CAI" will likely resolve those problems, house a bigger/better filter and give him a small performance bump. Plus a bit more snarl.

Of course, it looks like that intake is severely bent and/or restricted. His "CAI" will likely resolve those problems, house a bigger/better filter and give him a small performance bump. Plus a bit more snarl.

That is what I was getting at. My idea of a CAI is at the benefit of increased airflow.

Anyways, I had my first problem already. During work tonight, I suddenly had a vibration develop. I stop and step outside to have a look and, to my dismay, what do I see? A lovely little bubble on the sidewall of the right front tire. Unbelievable. New tires were planned, but not this early. I'm not going to have the extra cash for a set of tires until my next paycheck.

That is what I was getting at. My idea of a CAI is at the benefit of increased airflow.

Well, the first word in CAI, is Cold... otherwise it would be a IAI... Increased Airflow Intake. ;-)

When it comes to modern non-V8 CAIs, I'm most familiar with ones for the 3800s... and they definitely are for cold air first, better flow second. GM did not design in a lot of flexibility for the CAI makers to work with... unless driving around without a headlight is acceptable to you.

Anyways, I had my first problem already. During work tonight, I suddenly had a vibration develop. I stop and step outside to have a look and, to my dismay, what do I see? A lovely little bubble on the sidewall of the right front tire. Unbelievable. New tires were planned, but not this early. I'm not going to have the extra cash for a set of tires until my next paycheck.

Wow the sucks... well, maybe you can take a little comfort in that you guys are slowly convincing me that I'm not alone in being the most cursed person on Earth.

At least you found it before danger found you.

I think you have a curse that's causing all your tire problems

Awesome Subie. Color to body style to Turbo. One of the best used buys ever, and not just fun but will claw itself through any inclement weather episode that could ever be thrown at you.

What kind of tires are you getting?

• 2 weeks later...

Cory,

Again, CONGRATULATIONS ... gorgeous color on your new-to-you Subaru. (Hey, that rhymes!)

Hope you have it for many years ... and enjoy every single mile.

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * RT_06.2011_us66+NW USA

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Got my pedal to the metal" __ Sheryl Crow __ 'Real Gone'

• 3 weeks later...

I just learned something new about the AWD system. Previously, I was under the assumption that there was a 50/50 torque split between the front and rear. That is the case only with the manual transmission. Mine is actually biased more to the rear with the specific transmission my car has. Apparently (copy and paste time) it has an electronically controlled variable transfer clutch that distributes power, but through a planetary-type center differential and a viscous-type limited-slip rear differential. Torque distribution is normally configured at a performance-oriented rear-wheel-biased 45/55 split front to rear (as against the 90/10 split in Active AWD found in most automatic transmission equipped Subarus). Interesting, though I'd still rather have the manual transmission due to its simpler set-up and better overall performance due to such.

Also, I just finished my first modification. It's a simple one that anyone with a GM vehicle would never have to bother with: activating the fog lights to work with the parking lights. Only took 10 inches of wire and two wire taps.

Cool I have the same summer tires as you do... Hope they last 3 summers but I dunno, I don't have a second vehicle and I like taking fast turns :-).

I think if I had your car I would powdercoat the rims to something less ubiquitous.

Also, I just finished my first modification. It's a simple one that anyone with a GM vehicle would never have to bother with: activating the fog lights to work with the parking lights. Only took 10 inches of wire and two wire taps.

I don't recall my GM cars being able to do that... in fact, IIUC, its against the law to drive here in NJ with parking lights and fogs only.

Keep in mind, I only use the fog lamps in... surprise... fog. And fog is fairly rare here.

The best fog light related feature... on the '04 GP GTP, you have to turn the fogs on EVERY time you start the car... so its less likely that you are driving with the fogs on all the time. A pet peeve of mine.

I don't recall my GM cars being able to do that... in fact, IIUC, its against the law to drive here in NJ with parking lights and fogs only.

Keep in mind, I only use the fog lamps in... surprise... fog. And fog is fairly rare here.

The best fog light related feature... on the '04 GP GTP, you have to turn the fogs on EVERY time you start the car... so its less likely that you are driving with the fogs on all the time. A pet peeve of mine.

The fog/driving lights on my Jeep can work w/ the parking lights only, though I don't think I've ever used them like that. I use them occasionally, mostly on dark nights when I want more light right in front of me..

It's probably a state thing. Most GM vehicles I've had experience with had the ability to do so.

I drive with my fog lights on all the time. You can never have too much lighting on the road ahead in my opinion.

It's probably a state thing. Most GM vehicles I've had experience with had the ability to do so.

I drive with my fog lights on all the time. You can never have too much lighting on the road ahead in my opinion.

Makes sense in really dark rural areas...I drove w/ driving lights at night always in rural Ohio...

I drive with my fog lights on all the time.

Yeah, I need to visit you with a hammer. ;-)

You can never have too much lighting on the road ahead in my opinion.

Say that again when you've blinded someone who ends up swerving into your lane.

Wait... then why would you go running with only fogs and parking lights in the first place?

I find the difference fogs on (without fog) or off to be so minimal, its not worth wearing the filaments out. In fog, I see some improvement due to the angle... but then again, I see pretty darn well in the complete dark if I don't have someone blinding me... so I've never seen fog lights to be much worth the hassle.

I'm sure some fog/driving lights are quite effective... but many times at a cost of blinding oncoming drivers.

Wait... then why would you go running with only fogs and parking lights in the first place?

I find the difference fogs on (without fog) or off to be so minimal, its not worth wearing the filaments out. In fog, I see some improvement due to the angle... but then again, I see pretty darn well in the complete dark if I don't have someone blinding me... so I've never seen fog lights to be much worth the hassle.

I'm sure some fog/driving lights are quite effective... but many times at a cost of blinding oncoming drivers.

If a set of fog lights blind an oncoming driver they are either 1) aimed incorrectly or 2) aftermarket and weren't DOT approved. Generally, the headlights will do more to blind someone than a set of fog lights ever will. The key is their aim due to their intended purpose. They aren't meant to shine down the road as far, they do more to light up the road directly in front and to either side of you. Fog lights are great at filling in what the headlights miss.

The ability to use the fog lights independently of the headlights is mostly for use in the early evening or in parking lots.

If a set of fog lights blind an oncoming driver they are either 1) aimed incorrectly or 2) aftermarket and weren't DOT approved. Generally, the headlights will do more to blind someone than a set of fog lights ever will. The key is their aim due to their intended purpose. They aren't meant to shine down the road as far, they do more to light up the road directly in front and to either side of you. Fog lights are great at filling in what the headlights miss.

The worst offenders I see are usually European or high end Asian makes... so I doubt the issue is #1 and I can recognize #2 easily...its not #2.

The only area that fog lights illuminate that regular headlights don't is where objects are moving that you cannot avoid over 30 mph.

The worst offenders I see are usually European or high end Asian makes... so I doubt the issue is #1 and I can recognize #2 easily...its not #2.

The only area that fog lights illuminate that regular headlights don't is where objects are moving that you cannot avoid over 30 mph.

That doesn't necessarily mean they're not incorrectly aimed. Specifically speaking, the fog lights on my MKIII VW's are easily brighter than the headlights. As projectors, they have cut-offs to keep the beams below the line of sight for an oncoming driver. If aimed slightly higher than intended, you'll have a problem.

Speaking of which, I eventually want to switch out the projectors in the Legacy for the vastly superior one's from the Golf.

I'm with SAmadei all the way here. I can't stand people who drive around with their fog lamps on at night. In my opinion, it isn't any different from being that asshole driver who constantly runs his high beams.

It's even worse when I have someone running all of their headlights and fog lamps behind me, shining in my rear view mirrors. I always get a guaranteed headache.

Admittedly, I hate drivers who do this so much, at one time I used to make it at point to turn my high beams on at them if they were the only oncoming car.

I wear contact lenses, my vision is just about in the negative four range, and yet I don't need to run around constantly blinding other drivers. There's no excuse for it.

They're called FOG lamps for a reason. Use them in FOGGY conditions if you really have to. If it isn't FOGGY then leave them off. Honestly, I've always found them to be near useless in dense fog and if you can't what see you're doing in very light fog then you have a problem with your eyesight.

Again, properly designed and aimed fog lights will not blind an oncoming driver. Their purpose is to direct light below that of the headlights without glare and produce light at a lower candela. Otherwise, they're useless as intended and basically driving lights. Using them in the correct fashion that myself and others do is harmless when everything is set up correctly.

Anyways, I just ordered a set of yellow Hella bulbs to aid in their proper use and will reduce glare moreso than white bulbs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...