Picking out a car for Albert

I'll post out our CR-V issues in another thread, but suffice it to say that we have very good reason to start looking elsewhere soon for a CR-V replacement.

His requirements:

1. AWD/4WD - non-negotiable

2. Best fuel economy possible

3. Heated seats (can be cloth)

4. cannot be too large, the Equinox is about the biggest he would got

5. low price

6. body style doesn't matter

My requirements:

1. Prefer an American brand but not stuck on that for the right car.

Right now, I'm thinking we look at the new Compass and the Kazashi.

Hyundai Tuscon/Kia Sportage. Smaller than an Equinox. AWD with high riding position. And good economy figures.

Subaru Forester. High seating. Excellent visibility. Reasonable price and economy.

I do like the Patriot, if it weren't saddled with a CVT. Good size. American. Good economy figures. Just that pesky CVT holding it back.

Don't care for Compass' looks. And Kizashi is nice, if you have a dealer that'll stick around, that would be a sticking point for me.

IF GM had a delta-based, high-riding CUV, it would be first on the list, but alas.

IF Ford had their Focus-based new Escape out now, or a Fiesta-based, high rider CUV, those would be first on the list too, but alas.

Hyundai Tuscon/Kia Sportage. Smaller than an Equinox. AWD with high riding position. And good economy figures. I don't like the looks Tuscon, but the Sportage isn't terrible for a small CUV

Subaru Forester. High seating. Excellent visibility. Reasonable price and economy. He won't drive a Lesbianmobile... it's already off the list.

I do like the Patriot, if it weren't saddled with a CVT. Good size. American. Good economy figures. Just that pesky CVT holding it back. I'm a recent convert to the Nissan CVT, I'd want to test the Chrysler version.

Don't care for Compass' looks. And Kizashi is nice, if you have a dealer that'll stick around, that would be a sticking point for me. Our local Suzuki dealer started off as an AMC dealer, then switched to Jeep/Eagle, then switched to Plymouth/Jeep, then switched to Oldsmobile/Jeep, then switched to Daweoo/Oldsmobile/Jeep, then switched to Isuzu/Jeep, then switched to Suzuki/Jeep and picked up a Kia franchise down the street. I'm impressed with his persistence in the face of adversity. We both like the exterior looks of the Compass (he immediately said it looks like a baby Grand Cherokee), but even in pictures, the interior got a "meh" from him.

IF GM had a delta-based, high-riding CUV, it would be first on the list, but alas. If I knew that the Granite was coming with AWD, I'd just tough it out.

IF Ford had their Focus-based new Escape out now, or a Fiesta-based, high rider CUV, those would be first on the list too, but alas. Ford is interesting because they make the one car he would make an exception to the AWD rule for. The Fusion Hybrid... he just likes it that much. The current Escape doesn't interest him and I wasn't really impressed with the interior design and quality of construction on the interior.

Liberty?

Nitro?

I'm thinking Edge is too big and too thirsty

There could be an AWD Fusion.

CPO 2008 SRX? (dreaming) He used to enjoy driving my CTS, so I'm sure the SRX would be fine size wise.

edit: Rogue?Tiguan?

I had to go to Edmunds because the Hyundai website was too stubborn to give me the info I sought. It seems the Tuscon has heated seats in GLS trim, if the info is correctamundo. Sportage doesn't list them until you go all the way to leather, and you have to get a bunch more stuff in a bundle. Tuscon has that catfish face, and Sportage is a smiling alligator, but they both come highly recommended by the press.

I've softened to the looks of the Tuscon, I even like the green on it. It would be between the green, light blue, or brown if I were doing it.

Rogue and Tiguan are interesting choices. I always liked the looks of the Rogue, but after driving mom's Cube, I just feel weird driving a CVT (wild revs on accel, rubber band effect), but you two do what you want. I wish the manual were available with the AWD. Tiguan might get pricy, you'll have to spec one out and see how high it goes with the equipment you desire. The 2.0t is a sweet motor, and VW has such a special driving feel, it's an instant connection between driver and machine. Don't they also offer free maintenance for the duration of the warranty?

Among the small CUV class, I feel the Chryslers have the most claustrophobic interiors, with multiple blind spots due to the really thick pillars. It's especially bad looking over your shoulder.

I'll post out our CR-V issues in another thread, but suffice it to say that we have very good reason to start looking elsewhere soon for a CR-V replacement.

His requirements:

1. AWD/4WD - non-negotiable

2. Best fuel economy possible

3. Heated seats (can be cloth)

4. cannot be too large, the Equinox is about the biggest he would got

5. low price

6. body style doesn't matter

My requirements:

1. Prefer an American brand but not stuck on that for the right car.

Right now, I'm thinking we look at the new Compass and the -----Kazashi------

I can set u up.....but maybe not for much longer......

You know the new edge if not too lavish is a nice choice......excellent resale......so popular.....gas mileage is quite nice on the new version.......

taurus sedan awd?

actually, a 4 cyl awd equinox wouldnt that be a decent option?

captiva sport! lol

Edited by regfootball

To get AWD, you have to step up to the S model. A Countryman S ALL4 with nothing but Winter Package (for the heated seats and mirrors) prices out to $28,400.

That is with a 6-speed manuel transmission.

Edited by ocnblu

Tiguan S 4motion is $27,495 with no options. To get heated seats, you have to step up to the SE model, which is a fair amount more moolah.

But with Volkswagen, you get the "excellent" service..

Subaru Legacy? (or would that fall into the same problem with the forester)

Well as much as I like this X-type for under $19,000:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=302720252&dealer_id=64481301&car_year=2007&systime=&doors=&model=9-3&search_lang=en&start_year=2006&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=50&min_price=&rdm=1310952683837&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=&fuel=&keywords_display=&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2009&make3=&showZipError=n&make2=JAG&certified=&engine=&dma=PITTSBURGH_NO&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&transmission=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&color=&address=15202&sort_type=priceDESC&model2=XTYPE&max_price=25000&make=SAAB&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=8&standard=false

THE SEARCH ENDS HERE! I personally wouldn't buy it (because it almost certainly will break down) but the fanboys will love it.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=303243117&dealer_id=566566&car_year=2008&model=9-3&pager.offset=0&search_lang=en&start_year=2006&search_type=both&distance=50&rdm=1310952683837&marketZipError=false&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2009&showZipError=n&make2=JAG&dma=PITTSBURGH_NO&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&first_record=1&default_sort=priceDESC&address=15202&sort_type=priceDESC&model2=XTYPE&max_price=25000&make=SAAB&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=8&standard=false

I can see the point of an AWD Hyundai because their new cars are quite good, have good value and you get the mega warranty. But $26k for a Compass? I sat in one of those at the auto show, the interior is produced by Rubbermaid and it has a metal antenna from the 80s. $28k for a Tiguan that looks like a roller skate? I think not. Chrysler products will likely break and depreciate like a rock thrown off a cliff and the Taurus is massive. My 3 selections are hard to beat.

Edited by smk4565
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

For the most part, nothing new under 30k is worth owning these days.

Is $28,400 too much?

He is a soccer dad without the kids. It doesn't have to be fancy or even be a stunning handler... pretty much anything would be an improvement in handling or power over the existing CR-V.

We're looking more at low 20's... which is why visions of 2008 SRXes keep dancing in my head.

The heated seat thing is a bit of an odd dealbreaker - and it seems to launch you into a higher price range altogether.

Can't stand them, myself.

They aren't so much a deal breaker as a deal sealer....

http://www.autotrade...&standard=false

THE SEARCH ENDS HERE! I personally wouldn't buy it (because it almost certainly will break down) but the fanboys will love it.

I can see the point of an AWD Hyundai because their new cars are quite good, have good value and you get the mega warranty. But $26k for a Compass? I sat in one of those at the auto show, the interior is produced by Rubbermaid and it has a metal antenna from the 80s. $28k for a Tiguan that looks like a roller skate? I think not. Chrysler products will likely break and depreciate like a rock thrown off a cliff and the Taurus is massive. My 3 selections are hard to beat.

We're searching for a car due to reliability problems in our Honda and you're recommending an X-Type and a 9-3? :mellow::stupid:

Our CR-V has a metal antenna now... I don't think he'd care. I certainly don't.

Journey.

4-cylinder is still only available with a 4-speed auto... which is what he have now... I'd like to move up in the world at least a little bit.

The V6 with AWD and heated seats tickles the upper end of the budget coming in at $25,6 before any incentives... so it makes the list. I like the looks of it, but it still has to pass the Albert test.

You said he liked your CTS... how about an '08 AWD CTS? You should be able to find a CPO one for under $25k.

As for the heated seats... you can install them from after market manufacturers. I'm not sure how it's all done, but I assume that it doesn't require cutting holes in the seats to install. Probably costs you an extra $500 or whatever, but on some cars with the bundling, it might be worth it if the heated seats are in a bundled package that you don't want anything in except for the seats.

We're searching for a car due to reliability problems in our Honda and you're recommending an X-Type and a 9-3? :mellow::stupid:

Well that is why I originally thought MKZ, because it has all the desired features, it is ranked near the top in JD Power quality and reliability, and the MKZ is one of the most fuel efficient AWD V6's out there. The MKZ meets all of the previously stated criteria and is available in any color for near $20,000.

With all the people here that like the Regal GS at near $40k, and are clamoring for the Insignia OPC with the turbo V6, I thought the Saab would get more love. It has the Haldex AWD, the 2.8 turbo V6 from the SRX and Opel, better looks than the Buick, better interior than the Buick, half the price of the Buick. That Saab has what all the Regal and SRX lovers like at half the price. But at the same time, I wouldn't buy a Saab because it will break down all the time.

There are Audi A4's for $20k. Personally not my sort of car, but my mom has an 07 with over 100k miles on it, no major repairs, in fact I don't think anything has broken on it. And the 2.0 will average 25 mpg even with our hills and traffic.

You said he liked your CTS... how about an '08 AWD CTS? You should be able to find a CPO one for under $25k.

You can. I saw a CTS with AWD and direct injection for $23k. I think it had 50-60k miles though, but I seem to remember a less well equipped CTS with fewer miles for the same price.

Well that is why I originally thought MKZ, because it has all the desired features, it is ranked near the top in JD Power quality and reliability, and the MKZ is one of the most fuel efficient AWD V6's out there. The MKZ meets all of the previously stated criteria and is available in any color for near $20,000.

With all the people here that like the Regal GS at near $40k, and are clamoring for the Insignia OPC with the turbo V6, I thought the Saab would get more love. It has the Haldex AWD, the 2.8 turbo V6 from the SRX and Opel, better looks than the Buick, better interior than the Buick, half the price of the Buick. That Saab has what all the Regal and SRX lovers like at half the price. But at the same time, I wouldn't buy a Saab because it will break down all the time.

There are Audi A4's for $20k. Personally not my sort of car, but my mom has an 07 with over 100k miles on it, no major repairs, in fact I don't think anything has broken on it. And the 2.0 will average 25 mpg even with our hills and traffic.

I think the MKZ is an excellent suggestion. He already likes the Fusion, so upselling to the Lincoln wouldn't be hard. Completely disagree about the Saab interior, I like the Regal's much better, and so does he.

x-type is a reliability nightmare.

Agree with Dodgefan on the Journey... With the recent upgrades, it's an excellent contender if it's not too big for Albert.

So the Forester is out... What about a Legacy or Impreza?

Kizashi is a good choice you really can't go wrong with.

If you're into dying brands such as the aforementioned, Mitsubishi has AWD Lancers as well as the Outlander Sport that gets pretty good reviews.

There's the Mini Countryman that was mentioned, but it'll push the price higher than most.

As ugly as it is, what about a Nissan Juke, if not the Rogue?

The Sportage is pretty nice.

The Tiguan is, too.

• Agree 1

Are all Subarus out, or just the Forester? An Outback Sport has standard heated seats and 20/27 EPA ratings. According to the Comfort and Convenience portion of the website the All Weather Package (which includes heated seats) is available on the 2.5i Premium 4 or 5-door, but it doesn't show up on the Build Your Own option sheet. Weird. Anyways, the Journey wouldn't be bad if you're craving a new car, but a used SRX would be a fantastic choice.

Agree with Dodgefan on the Journey... With the recent upgrades, it's an excellent contender if it's not too big for Albert.

So the Forester is out... What about a Legacy or Impreza?

Kizashi is a good choice you really can't go wrong with.

If you're into dying brands such as the aforementioned, Mitsubishi has AWD Lancers as well as the Outlander Sport that gets pretty good reviews.

There's the Mini Countryman that was mentioned, but it'll push the price higher than most.

As ugly as it is, what about a Nissan Juke, if not the Rogue?

The Sportage is pretty nice.

The Tiguan is, too.

Well it is unlikely he'd do a wagon (I tried to get him to look at a dirt cheap new 9-3 Combi a while ago and he just won't do it), so the Legacy would have to be the sedan... not that there's anything wrong with that.

I already have enough stomach problems as it is without a Juke sitting in our driveway. The Countryman is too much money.

08 SRX. They're that cheap now?? DAMN and really nice, too.

^^^^^^

[quote name='Oldsmoboi' timestamp='1310961444' post='668413'

I think the MKZ is an excellent suggestion. He already likes the Fusion, so upselling to the Lincoln wouldn't be hard. Completely disagree about the Saab interior, I like the Regal's much better, and so does he.

The thing about the MKZ is it isn't much of an upsell. On the used car market, the MKZ is priced fairly close to a loaded Fusion or Milan. Fusions on average run a few thousand cheaper, but most of them have 4-cylinder, FWD, cloth, etc. With the MKZ it is easy, they pretty must have all the equipment standard, and it seems like 60% of them are AWD. There was also less styling change at the 2010 refresh, so the 2008 MKZ looks more current than the 2008 Fusion.

The other sensible option for economical AWD is Subaru. On the SRX, they would fit the price target, but they are also like 195 inches long and even the V6 isn't that efficient in there. The running costs on that would be higher than on an AWD sedan.

I am disappointed in this thread however, no one has brought up the Pontiac Aztec and all wheel drive motoring doesn't get any more exciting than that.

Try a Legacy sedan if he wants something new (which you know I advocate, you're starting off with zero miles and complete control over the car's maintenance and general care. It will last longer and prevent another purchase in a couple of years). They've got heated seats and a CVT. And they're nice cars with Symmetrical AWD on every model, yessir.

• Agree 1

Try a Legacy sedan if he wants something new (which you know I advocate, you're starting off with zero miles and complete control over the car's maintenance and general care. It will last longer and prevent another purchase in a couple of years). They've got heated seats and a CVT. And they're nice cars with Symmetrical AWD on every model, yessir.

I'm not a "must buy new" person. I look for the best overall value in a car that fits my (our) needs.

no one here cares about what you and your "boyfriend" do. LOL

You've been warned once about being rude to others. Now you've been rude to me. You won't get a third warning.

• Agree 3

Back to cars, In searching near $20k AWD cars, the results were Legacy, Impreza, Fusion/Milan, Taurus/Sable, MKZ, and higher mileage A4, 328, and C280. For equal money, the MKZ is the best Ford product, so it becomes MKZ vs Legacy, which isn't much of a contest.

But $23,990 gets one a 2007 Cadillac STS V6 awd, with luxury package and navigation, moonroof, rear parking aid, chrome wheels, heated and cooled seats, and heated steering wheel.

I think the STS is definitely going to be too big. That would more likely be a car for me if I wasn't pining for an Avalanche. The newest Legacy is also possibly too large too. No way on a Taurus. The Fusion was his goldilocks "just right" in size for a sedan. I think he would "put up" with an SRX to get the luxuries he likes if the price was right.... but that might take some pushing.