The Magnum Making A Comeback?

The Magnum Making A Comeback?

William Maley - Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

July 17, 2011

post-10485-0-51184200-1310962092.png

If someone was to write out a list of the coolest wagons ever built, the 2005-2008 Dodge Magnum would be somewhere on that list. RWD, a range of V6s and V8s, and just practical, found it a good amount of fans. However, poor sales and Chrysler's money woes meant the Magnum would be shown the door a few years later.

“That vehicle was single-handedly killed by one executive who is no longer with the company. He’s retired. A lot of people in the company still like that vehicle — a lot. A lot of things that weren’t possible back then, now are.” said Ralph Gilles, the Chrysler design chief who helped style the Magnum and now the head of the SRT group.

Gilles was speaking to reporters at an event introducing the 2012 SRT lineup. The question was brought up about whether more vehicles could be introduced.

“With the Magnum, we owned the station wagon segment,” Gilles said. “It was always a pleasure to go to car shows and trade fairs and see the number of Magnums that owners had personalized with such obvious loving care.”

Asked whether the Magnum has been given the green, all Gilles would say is,

“Stay tuned. Great things are coming. That’s all I can say.”

Source: New York Times Wheels

i always thought it looked to much like a 300 estate with a dodge grill back when it was still in production, but now i realize there are quite a few small differences, overall i liked the car, but how bad did it sell that it was discontinued?

i always thought it looked to much like a 300 estate with a dodge grill back when it was still in production, but now i realize there are quite a few small differences, overall i liked the car, but how bad did it sell that it was discontinued?

Sales:

2004: 36,897

2005: 52,487

2006: 40,095

2007: 30,256

2008: 6,912

2009: 113

It looks like a 300 estate with a Dodge grill, since it WAS sold as a 300C Estate in Europe with a 300C nose. I can't find production numbers, or when that production ended... I had heard it continued longer than Magnum production did... but I can't find nothing about it.

I forgot that the Magnum beat the Charger to market by like a year. I would have preferred Dodge to use the Magnum name for the sedan... and Charger on a 2 door version of the Charger we got (note, not the Challenger).

I still feel the Magnum was a sports wagon, and therefore a lousy station wagon. I could never cope with the low rear section.

It looks like a 300 estate with a Dodge grill, since it WAS sold as a 300C Estate in Europe with a 300C nose. I can't find production numbers, or when that production ended... I had heard it continued longer than Magnum production did... but I can't find nothing about it.

It looks like the 300C Estate lasted until the end of that generation, MY 2010.

Interesting to wonder what a new Magnum wagon could look like...would it take 300 styling cues so it can be sold as a Lancia in Europe, or would it take after Charger styling...

Sales:

2004: 36,897

2005: 52,487

2006: 40,095

2007: 30,256

2008: 6,912

2009: 113

I forgot that the Magnum beat the Charger to market by like a year. I would have preferred Dodge to use the Magnum name for the sedan... and Charger on a 2 door version of the Charger we got (note, not the Challenger).

I still feel the Magnum was a sports wagon, and therefore a lousy station wagon. I could never cope with the low rear section.

Not bad sales rate. Venza is only managing about 32k this year, Flex will do about 27k and both of those offer more utility.

It was bad for Dodge because they thought they would be able to sell the Magnum as a direct replacement to the Intrepid and that just wasn't going to happen.

• 5 weeks later...

We've had ours more than 4 years, we still love it. Ours is a Magnum R/T, we load more stuff in it than many would believe, it's good on gas and has decent power. GREAT family vehicle.

If they bring it out again I'll be looking at it for sure. My wife LOVES it, so it better not change much! ;)

Chickster.jpg

Edited by CMG

Holden was making a "Sportswagon" a few years back, I thought North America was supposed to get it...? It looked pretty good IMO.

Dodge Magnums have quite a following, we still hit the odd "LX meet" locally, a couple dozen or more show up week after week! lol