Sign in to follow this  
Mach5GTP

G6 convertible trunk

82 posts in this topic

I got the new dealer brochure for the G6 vert, and there is no mention of the trunk, other than to say the trunklid is dual-hinged, to open normally for trunk access, and rearward for top stowage. Looking at all the pics I can find, I don't see how the trunk could open "normally"; I just don't see the dual-hingedness, to coin a term.

I did see in a Google search that the trunk volume is 5.8cu.ft. top up (for comparison, my GTP's is 15.5), and (eep) 1.8 top down. Pack soft, folks! (I wonder if my car care supplies would fit in 1.8?) Does anyone know anything, have any pics of normal trunk opening, etc.? We all remember the long thread here about the "design flaw", forcing one to raise the top to remove anything from the trunk, but I want to know more. TIA.

Pontiac seems none too eager to disclose any useful info re/ trunk space or trunk access. Hmmm... :scratchchin: FWIW, if I got one of these cars (see my other G6 thread for the level of self-loathing I'm nursing over that desire), I'd find a pair of nice leather duffels to strap into the back seat when I needed cargo space. :yes:

EDIT- oops, had the wrong cargo volume in there

Edited by Mach5GTP

Guest Josh

Seems Pontiac trunks with 'Verts arent' worth much but speaking from experience.........

It does not matter. The cars are rock solid. I drove a G6 'Vert too and let me tell you, it's incredible. My Solstice is the same. You forget about the trunk space when driving.....I just make my passenger carry all her $h! cause mine can fit in back. :)

Seems Pontiac trunks with 'Verts arent' worth much but speaking from experience.........

It does not matter. The cars are rock solid. I drove a G6 'Vert too and let me tell you, it's incredible. My Solstice is the same. You forget about the trunk space when driving.....I just make my passenger carry all her $h! cause mine can fit in back. :)

My 04 GTO doesn't have any trunk space either. I learned how to cope with it. I'm actually looking for a G6 Vert or a Solstice here in a few months. My single man life is starting to come to an end so I have to get one more fun car for my practical car years are closing in FAST! Trunk space means NOTHING to me at this point! Oh, and I want a pinball machine too!

In short: if you want practicality, get a sedan or a minivan. If you have a coupe, stop whining about the trunk. Coupes and convertibles are not meant for practicality in the first place.

I need capacity, so I never get coupes. Period.

Cool Tony, thanks! That's how I figured it would open, kinda crazy to see your roof laying in there. :blink: More pics welcome if anyone has them!

Can't wait to hit a dealer soon to see one in person. I do still want one, sort of surprisingly. "The Transformers, more than meets the eeeyyyee..." :P

I :wub: it in that Electric blue color.

By way of answering my own question, here's a pic I found on eBay:

Posted Image

Very shallow indeed, and the trunk floor appears to slope upward towards the rear. You'll definitely gonna need to pack light, like shorts and T-shirts instead of jeans and jackets. I have to question the need for a roll-up cargo shade- maybe to keep your tiny amount of stuff dry if the top is wet when you fold it?

I might be inclined to lose the spare tire and carry an air compressor, Fix-a-Flat, and a AAA membership. FWIW...

In short: if you want practicality, get a sedan or a minivan. If you have a coupe, stop whining about the trunk. Coupes and convertibles are not meant for practicality in the first place.

I need capacity, so I never get coupes. Period.

B.S....

Oh great...! I'm going to buy a convertible that I can't even drive with the top down IF I want to put anything in the trunk......

It's absurd and other manufacturers don't make you compromise as much.....(Ford Mustang, Chrysler Sebring, Toyota Solara convertibles for three examples....)

The G6 hardtop is bull$h!.....a properly-engineered G6 SOFT top would have taken up far less space and been far more practical. To spend the money on engineering this type of 4-seat convertible that gives you 1.8 cu. ft. of trunk space with the top down is a prime example of GM's ineptitude.....

:banghead:

B.S....

Oh great...!  I'm going to buy a convertible that I can't even drive with the top down IF I want to put anything in the trunk......

It's absurd and other manufacturers don't make you compromise as much.....(Ford Mustang, Chrysler Sebring, Toyota Solara convertibles for three examples....)

The G6 hardtop is bull$h!.....a properly-engineered G6 SOFT top would have taken up far less space and been far more practical.  To spend the money on engineering this type of 4-seat convertible that gives you 1.8 cu. ft. of trunk space with the top down is a prime example of GM's ineptitude.....

:banghead:

I agree a softtop would be better for practicality, but there aren't many hardtops that give you a lot of trunk space. None of the cars you mentioned are hardtops.

The G6 hardtop is bull$h!.....a properly-engineered G6 SOFT top would have taken up far less space and been far more practical.  To spend the money on engineering this type of 4-seat convertible that gives you 1.8 cu. ft. of trunk space with the top down is a prime example of GM's ineptitude.....

Name me another 4-seater hardtop whose third and fourth seats are usable for more than a briefcase, a dog, or Vern Troyer.

Name me another 4-seater hardtop whose third and fourth seats are usable for more than a briefcase, a dog, or Vern Troyer.

Volvo C70 and VW EOS

Guest Josh

The G6 GXP will do well. It's the cheapest hard top that actually works and does it well. American cars actually ARE good for something.

The G6 GXP will do well. It's the cheapest hard top that actually works and does it well. American cars actually ARE good for something.

Also the G6's roof should do better over time.

it a) utilizes a much simpler folding mechanism, b) uses fewer panels

while this decreases the availible trunk space, it actually REDUCES wind noise b/'c there are only 2 "creases/joints" in the ceiling vs. 4 in the EOS/C70

I really don't trust VW to make such a tricky roof, and have it work for at least 5k miles.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this