Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Edmunds: 2007 Nissan Altima First Drive

Variance

Part family sedan, part hooligan

By Karl Brauer

Date posted: 04-17-2006

The Altima is arguably the most important Nissan product of the last decade. If you go back a mere 10 years and look at Nissan circa 1996 you'll see a company struggling to survive in the North American market. The Z was about to die. The "premium" products coming out of Infiniti were lackluster at best, and nothing in Nissan's future portfolio indicated a turnaround was anywhere on the horizon.

Fast-forward to the New York auto show — spring of 2001. Nissan rolls out an all-new Altima that offers more interior space, more horsepower and considerably more attitude than the former family sedan benchmarks from Honda (Accord) and Toyota (Camry). Can you say "shift-paradigm"?

Fast-forward another five years to spring of 2006. The Z-car is back, there's a full-size Nissan Titan challenging the domestic trucks, and the Infiniti G35 is openly threatening BMW's 3 Series. Yet the Altima's claim to fame remains the most impressive of them all: It is among the top five best-selling cars in the U.S.

Nissan obviously hopes to continue, and even build upon, the car's success with an all-new 2007 Altima. We were lucky enough to road test an early production model before the 2006 New York Auto Show unveil, and we have a solid picture of how the redesigned Altima will fit into this ultracompetitive segment.

All-new from the platform up

Starting with an all-new "D" platform, Nissan lowered the engine, upgraded the front suspension geometry and improved the shock absorbers for better steering response and handling. The new engine location allows the half shafts to be mounted at equal angles to reduce torque steer, while a new upper cowl structure provides increased rigidity at the front-suspension mounting points. The rear suspension continues to use an independent, multilink design and antiroll bars are mounted at both ends of the car.

Base Altimas utilize 16-inch steel wheels with 215/60 tires, but 17-inch alloys wearing 215/55 tires are available on the 3.5 SE models. The 3.5 SE also features a sport-tuned suspension and larger antiroll bars. Much of the 2007 Altima's improved rigidity comes via the use of high-strength steel throughout the platform, as well as a 1-inch-shorter wheelbase. Despite these structural gains the new model is only 55 pounds heavier than the current car.

With a proclaimed engineering target of creating "the best performing front-wheel-drive sedan in the world," we had rather high expectations for the new Altima. What we got was a noticeable uptick in steering feel and feedback and an overall sharper, more nimble car. The improved front suspension tuning, along with the new speed-sensitive, power rack and pinion steering system, provides a precise and linear steering response that rivals the class leader in this area — Honda's Accord.

Drivetrain developments

Adding to the Altima's fun factor is a more powerful 3.5-liter V6. Final SAE horsepower figures have yet to be released, but expect the peak number to come in around 265, a 15 horsepower increase over the current model's V6. Reduced internal friction and improved cylinder head cooling contribute to the increase in horsepower while also providing a more refined engine note. The base 2.5-liter four-cylinder gets a bump in compression ratio, an improved balancer system and a larger intake manifold, but final numbers for this engine are similarly pending.

More impressive than either engine is the new Xtronic CVT. This is the same unit found in the Murano SUV, but it has benefited from an upgraded "Sport" controller that uses adaptive logic to adjust shift patterns under varying conditions.

As a rule we haven't been too impressed with CVTs, but our brief experience in the Altima suggests this technology is finally ready for prime time. While technically not "shifting" at all, this CVT made the most of both the four-cylinder and V6 engines' power and torque. When rolling into the throttle, or climbing a hill, the CVT allowed the engines to rev quickly and build power before executing a simulated — and very positive feeling — "upshift."

Nissan has been pushing CVT technology for over a decade. It feels the improved efficiency and smoothness offered by this transmission design represents the wave of the future. The company expects to sell 1 million CVTs globally, every year, by 2008. If they all work this well we'll happily contribute to that number. Buyers still not sold on the merits of CVTs can select a six-speed manual transmission for either engine.

It's what's on the inside that really counts

While we appreciated the 2007 Altima's structural and drivetrain improvements, I think everyone can agree on where this car really needed a redo: interior quality. As paradigm-shifting as that 2002 Altima was, it never threatened the segment leaders in terms of cabin environment. For this redesign Nissan wanted to "build on the strengths, address the weaknesses" of the current model.

Tapping on the new Altima's dash and door panels confirmed Nissan did its homework. The previously rock-hard plastics have given way to…well, supple plastics. Seat leather and interior controls are also clearly improved. It's not like you'll confuse the Altima's interior with an Aston Martin's, but the car can finally stand toe-to-toe with Accord and Camry cabins.

For instance, our test car was equipped with dual-zone climate controls and the temperature knobs had a confident, weighty feel as we turned them back and forth (also a slick temperature display inside the knobs). The gauge cluster and radio displays have a significantly brighter and more polished appearance, and the available Intelligent Key system allows for push-button engine starting.

Other options include a nine-speaker Bose audio system and a Bluetooth hands-free phone system. Of course there's still that Nissan-esque folding door over the storage pocket at the base of the center stack. But the one on our test car actually worked smoothly without feeling like it was about to break off in our hand.

It's also worth noting that although Nissan shortened the car's wheelbase by 1 inch during its redesign, the Altima's total interior volume remains the same. This was accomplished by reworking the firewall location and trunk layout, yet trunk space remains about the same.

All-new car, same old mission

Nissan wants the 2007 Altima to be among the top three selling cars in the U.S. Beyond the improvements listed above, the company will add a hybrid model during the winter of 2007 as part of its goal. These enhancements will probably maintain the Altima's standing in the market, but with an all-new Camry (and Camry Hybrid) hitting showrooms, along with increasing pressure from upstarts like Hyundai and Mazda, getting Altima on the sales podium will be an uphill battle.

Nissan doesn't appear concerned, however. The Altima has been part of uphill battles before.

Posted Image

Link: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...rticleId=110046

I would like to see the Altima best Camcord sales, if only because I actually LIKE Nissan and have a deep, seething hatred of Toyota.

If the rumored Altima coupe comes to fruition, it definitely has a shot. A hybrid version is definitely on the way.

Interesting that it's engineering goal was to be "the best performing front-wheel-drive sedan in the world"...that used to be the Maxima's aspiration ('4dr Sports Car'). The Maxima seems to be settling into more of an Avalon role today.

Edited by moltar

Wow... not a single mention of an American car as a comparo... then again, they mentioned Mazda, so I guess that counts. But it's scary how Edmunds thinks the big Japanese three are it... nothing else comes close.

I honestly don't see why everyone raves about the exterior of the Altima. It's certainly better than the Accord or Camry, but it doesn't look better than the Aura and the interior is not the least bit impressive asethetically to me (though Edmunds says the materials are good).

I honestly don't see why everyone raves about the exterior of the Altima. It's certainly better than the Accord or Camry, but it doesn't look better than the Aura and the interior is not the least bit impressive asethetically to me (though Edmunds says the materials are good).

Actually...I think I like the Altima's interior and exterior better than the Aura.

I think the interior looks great design wise, though I prefer a little more organic flow to an interior, ala Mercedes or Lexus designs.

the exterior is decent. the interior still looks suspect, but to some degree is improved. i like the CVT and 6 speed manual choices, but some folks might still want the tradtional automatic.

the VQ engine is always top notch.

i would bet i could really like this car, but i wish Nissan would have done a nicer interior yet.

the exterior is decent.  the interior still looks suspect, but to some degree is improved.  i like the CVT and 6 speed manual choices, but some folks might still want the tradtional automatic.

the VQ engine is always top notch.

i would bet i could really like this car, but i wish Nissan would have done a nicer interior yet.

I'm one of those people who wants the traditional automatic. I hate the feeling where the CVT just never "shifts". It's awkward for me.. the constant revving is loud (then again, I was hearing it on the 1.5L Prius engine), and at first, you get that ill feeling like you're going to blow the engine because it just never shifts to lower rpms.

I'm one of those people who wants the traditional automatic.  I hate the feeling where the CVT just never "shifts".  It's awkward for me.. the constant revving is loud (then again, I was hearing it on the 1.5L Prius engine), and at first, you get that ill feeling like you're going to blow the engine because it just never shifts to lower rpms.

Supposedly, the way Nissan tuned this latest CVT in the Altima is supposed to simulate shifts to it feels more like a regular automatic.

i wanted the CVT in my 500, but got the 6 speed. The CVT was smooth and efficient though. I had heard that you could get the tranny reflashed to get the CVT to kick down faster with less throttle.

Programming will be very important in all CVTs.

Edited by regfootball

Ick...

I'd have to agree with bowtie_dude. I want the Altima to succeed only to steal sales away from Honda & Toyota. The exterior is way too evolutionary of the current Gen. I bet people will have a hard time picking them out from the current Altima. In several ways, the interior is evolutionary too... except with a little bit of Accord thrown in for good measure.

I just don't "feel" this generation of the Altima. It leaves me cold. It doesn't have one ounce of aspiration woven into its styling. Infiniti sedans do.

As for the Aura and Altima comparison... The Aura has much more character inside and out. You may not care for the Aura, but at least it makes you have an opinion. We still haven't seen an Aura with metal trim or the Redline's performance stats...

Ick...

I'd have to agree with bowtie_dude. I want the Altima to succeed only to steal sales away from Honda & Toyota. The exterior is way too evolutionary of the current Gen. I bet people will have a hard time picking them out from the current Altima. In several ways, the interior is evolutionary too... except with a little bit of Accord thrown in for good measure.

I just don't "feel" this generation of the Altima. It leaves me cold. It doesn't have one ounce of aspiration woven into its styling. Infiniti sedans do.

As for the Aura and Altima comparison... The Aura has much more character inside and out. You may not care for the Aura, but at least it makes you have an opinion. We still haven't seen an Aura with metal trim or the Redline's performance stats...

Ditto...but the Aura won't succeed due to lack of Japanese nameplate.

to me....the altima is more consistent compared to the aura, in terms of design, at trying to be taut, athletic, sporty, aggressive, while looking more modern than ever. The Aura pussied out in more ways than one [i now hate the rear]. Also, the interior of the Altima while not being totally original doesn't sacrifice for cost-cutting like the Aura does in more ways than one again.

altima doesn't have aspiration? we must agree to disagree, it's just as aspirational as the new camry, and moreso than the current maxima and any GM mid sedan.

uhh...isnt the point to give a domestic brand some recognition...bad attitude on your part.

No just being realistic. I don't really care for the Aura...kinda dull but it is definitely more attractive than the Altima. The "redesign but not really" of the Altima looks about 90% the same as the previous version which looked pretty dated to me.

Interior design is a mix...I like the Altima one slightly better but I do realize they are going for slightly different markets. The interior quality of the last Altima rental I had was incredibly bad so I'm not going to "automatically assume" that it is much improved in that area.

The V6 in the Altima is probably better but the 4 cyl and auto trans don't hold a candle to anything that GM currently produces.

As for the japanese nameplate..well lets be serious...we all know how in love with japanese products most of the country is. I can't tell how many times I've heard someone say they won't buy a certain product simply because its "domestic"

No just being realistic.  I don't really care for the Aura...kinda dull but it is definitely more attractive than the Altima.  The "redesign but not really" of the Altima looks about 90% the same as the previous version which looked pretty dated to me.

Interior design is a mix...I like the Altima one slightly better but I do realize they are going for slightly different markets.  The interior quality of the last Altima rental I had was incredibly bad so I'm not going to "automatically assume" that it is much improved in that area. 

The V6 in the Altima is probably better but the 4 cyl and auto trans don't hold a candle to anything that GM currently produces. 

As for the japanese nameplate..well lets be serious...we all know how in love with japanese products most of the country is.  I can't tell how many times I've heard someone say they won't buy a certain product simply because its "domestic"

For the last time, if you look at the Altima it's an evolution of the current gen, and i does look different, like how the Viper is an evolution or the Caravan or Chevy trucks are evolutions of design. It doesn't look dated at all, I like it much better than the current Altima, and I liked the current one (except that huuge ass, which is now fixed). I would pick it over the Aura cuz the Altima's interior looks nicer and the exterior is more sporty. The Aura's exterior is more classy, which is fine but not quite my thing. Both cars should do well, if both are marketed right. I know Nissan should do fine marketing it, just hope Saturn does too.

:nono:

Also...the new Altima is new from the ground up, it's not a damn refresh!!!!

Also...the new Altima is new from the ground up, it's not a damn refresh!!!!

That's the whole point. It looks very much the same as the previous generation which did look dated at the end. All it looks like they did was change the lights...they still have those goofy ass clear tail lenses which really don't look good on any car.

That's the whole point.  It looks very much the same as the previous generation which did look dated at the end.  All it looks like they did was change the lights...they still have those goofy ass clear tail lenses which really don't look good on any car.

I like those lights, the new ones anyway.

Also.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I see similarities, but they don't look the same.

......rrrrrrriiiiiiight.......

A 2.5L L4 with 175hp (that's supposedly improved and updated in the new Altima) certainly is pretty class-leading for a 4cyl midsize sedan if you ask me.

Just WHAT do you propose GM offers that beats this??????? I'd love to hear it...

I've driven plenty of Altima rentals with this engine and it KICKS ASS........

It's kinda moany and growly, but noise aside, it is pretty smooth....and has serious power for a 4-banger.

maximas used to be all over the place roound these here parts--not so much anymore. ever since someone pointed out it looked like a piggy bank with the moon roof after the restyle i couldnt help but find them even more horrendous to look at.

quick and zippy sure but thats about it.

altimas are in abundance. again though, not so much. i see more accords and tls than anything else lately.

actually, the side glass is eerily too much like the MAXIMA's they've just extended the chrome moldings and blacked out a little larger area behind the door...ALA 9-3/BLS. that angle of the rear door cut where the glass is has got to be exactly the same as the max. the front end is far too similar to the current maxima also. the rear end is shorter by a touch. the way the hood transitions into the a pillar is dam close to the same also. i swear, they are sharing a lot more parts here than they are leading on to. I still think its some form of a reskin of either the alt or the max.

oh well, at least its a whole lot better than the disastrous Hyundai new twin offerings.

I like those lights, the new ones anyway.

Also.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I see similarities, but they don't look the same.

Edited by regfootball

That's why I wouldn't buy this car. Well, one reason why. I don't want the Camry with a touch of 'tude. I'd rather have the far less-common Maxima.

.....except I just don't like the exterior styling of the Maxima.

The new one is improved in front....but I still HATE everything about the rear end.....

Otherwise I'd agree with you....

......rrrrrrriiiiiiight.......

A 2.5L L4 with 175hp (that's supposedly improved and updated in the new Altima) certainly is pretty class-leading for a 4cyl midsize sedan if you ask me.

Just WHAT do you propose GM offers that beats this???????  I'd love to hear it...

I've driven plenty of Altima rentals with this engine and it KICKS ASS........

It's kinda moany and growly, but noise aside, it is pretty smooth....and has serious power for a 4-banger.

Riiiiigghhht.

It's loud and rough....in more than one instance it has been compared to a lawnmower engine which fits the bill perfectly. The transmission is notchy..every time the car shifts it makes a clunky sound that you hear and feel the vibration in the cabin.

These problems were apparent in all 3 rental Altimas I've driven recently so it wasn't an isolated problem car.

It's damn fast for a 4 cyl from about 0-35 but after that its a wheezer.

The best GM comparison for it would be the 3.4L in the 99-04 Grand Am/Alero. Every GM engine since that has made great strides in power, fuel efficiency and NVH though.

Riiiiigghhht.

It's loud and rough....in more than one instance it has been compared to a lawnmower engine which fits the bill perfectly.  The transmission is notchy..every time the car shifts it makes a clunky sound that you hear and feel the vibration in the cabin.

Well, we won't be feeling these shifts anymore, now will we? The 07 Altima is fitted with a CVT.

Yep...we will see how that works out.  I haven't heard anything bad about the Murano CVT

i haven't either and i researched CVT's a lot when i was looking at the freestyle and murano. the murano cvt isn't that great on gas (which you expect better mpg from a cvt), but does seem to be holding up very well.

People complain that it's not all new looking enough, but the current car still sells well. Ever heard of 'New Coke'? If something is working, maintain it and change what is necessary. Don't change for the sake of chnage to please those that won't even buy one.

The 2001 to 2002 redesign was definitely an example of a needed radical change. Now, not so fast.

People complain that it's not all new looking enough, but the current car still sells well. Ever heard of 'New Coke'? If something is working, maintain it and change what is necessary. Don't change for the sake of chnage to please those that won't even buy one.

The 2001 to 2002 redesign was definitely an example of a needed radical change. Now, not so fast.

I agree with this. Nissan has no reason to change the exterior. More companies now are adopting the smooth roofline, which the Altima already has on the 2002-2006 model. It is already the 3rd best selling midsized sedan on the market, behind the Camry and the Accord. Nissan only has to address its issues of interior quality, reliability, platform rigidity and agility. All of which Nissan addresses with this new model.

Altima sales are UP this year, with the 2005-2006 new face. Why is there a need to change the exterior if sales are still going up? That means the design is just starting the catch the consumer's attention more.

Edited by JT64

Maybe the third best selling Japanese midsize sedan, but the Impala is the third best selling midsizer in the U.S.

Sorry, I wasn't aware the Impala is only 104 cu. ft. I thought it was a full-sized sedan. My apologies. Make The Altima the 4th best selling mid-sized sedan.

Sorry, I wasn't aware the Impala is only 104 cu. ft.  I thought it was a full-sized sedan.  My apologies.  Make The Altima the 4th best selling mid-sized sedan.

Oh stop it, your profuse apologies are unnecessary. Now let's go bake a chocolate cheesecake. :D

Sorry, I'm watching Food Network.

I've been wondering the same thing for a while. Ha.

Anyway, overall, Nissan is my favorite Asian car company. This new Altima is a gem. Hopefully the interior is nicer in the flesh than in the pictures.

Yeah...nissan doesnt brag like toyota. I like them too

That is one thing I like about Nissan... they're not in your face and throwing down other companies.