Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Truck Trend: 2014 Chevrolet Tahoe Caught Testing in Michigan

Source: http://www.trucktrend.com/future/spied/163_news120626_2014_chevrolet_tahoe_caught_testing_in_michigan/index.html

2014 Chevrolet Tahoe Caught Testing in Michigan

New Fullsize SUVs Will Get 8-Speed Transmission, Direct-Injection V-8's

June 26, 2012

By: Edward A. Sanchez

Long the leader in the fullsize SUV segment, General Motors isn't letting any grass grow between its toes with its next generation of fullsize SUVs. These photos of a cladded 2014 Chevrolet Tahoe were snapped just outside GM's proving grounds. Interestingly, the badge on the grille underneath the mesh covering is a prominent oval, indicating GM may have been hoping to fake-out spy shooters into thinking it's a Ford. However, a Chevrolet bowtie can be seen on the wheelcaps under the tape and there were Toyota Sequoia and Ford Expedition comparison vehicles accompanying the prototype.

Since the addition of a six-speed automatic to the lineup in 2009, the GMT900-series SUVs have been near top-of-class in terms of fuel economy. Reports of an eight-speed automatic transmission and direct-injected fifth-generation small block V-8 power for the new Tahoe (known internally as K2UC) and the Yukon(K2UG) indicate GM intends to remain a class leader in this increasingly important area. Although the eight-speed is certainly in the cards at some point, availability constraints may have the big SUVs launching with six-speeds.

In what may also be a concession to efficiency, the test mule appears to retain the GMT 900's solid rear axle. Most fullsize SUVs, including the Expedition and Sequia, have independent rear suspensions, which are favored by some manufacturers for allowing greater flexibility in interior packaging. However, the marginal frictional losses inherent in CV joints of an IRS may have outweighed the potential benefits. In addition to less mechanical drag, solid rear axles are generally considered more robust for towing and hauling duties.

New all-aluminum small block V-8s equipped with direct injection are a given, likely in the same displacement as the current 5.3 and 6.2-liter fourth-generation Vortec engines with a possible 5.5-liter variant. GM may still have some surprises up its sleeves, however -- some reports have suggested a diesel option could be offered along with a hybrid model, though the GMT900 hybrids haven't set any sales records. Also unknown is whether GM will field a turbocharged V-6 option to counter Ford's popular EcoBoost powertrain, which may soon be offered in the Lincoln Navigator.

GM clearly has high hopes for the new Chevrolet Tahoe, Suburban, GMC Yukon/XL and Cadillac Escalade models, having invested a total of more than $500 million in its Arlington, Texas plant since 2009. GM is overhauling its entire fullsize truck and SUV lineup within the next 18 months and the new SUVs are expected to be second or third in line, behind the new Chevrolet Sliverado and GMC Sierra 1500, with the 2500 and 3500-series HD trucks and fullsize SUVs following.

Click on the link above to read the article on the Truck Trend site, or click here for the Gallery link with 8 photos.

Hopefully this means the front clips are shared between the pickups and SUVs once again, as before the 900s. What I can see looks good so far. Maybe this will mean the next Yukon won't look like a bullfrog peeking over the surface of the pond.

Good catch, Mr. Doane.

Hopefully this means the front clips are shared between the pickups and SUVs once again, as before the 900s. What I can see looks good so far. Maybe this will mean the next Yukon won't look like a bullfrog peeking over the surface of the pond.

Good catch, Mr. Doane.

I've long thought the current Yukon would have looked better w/ the Sierra front end. But I do prefer the Tahoe/Suburban front end over the Silverado.

• Agree 1

I am thinking they hung the body low for Aero. This may be some hybrid model as they use a similar lower air dam.

I wonder if they will use more under shielding as some of the cars are to clean up the under body air management.

Are these trucks truly ALL NEW? I am doubting it because the muffler looks exactly like the current Tahoe... is this just a rebody, or is it road-to-roof?

Well, some dirty bits like mufflers probably carry over between generations..and remember, these are photos of prototypes..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I am getting a very GMT-400 vibe from this. It appears to have much tidier dimensions than the current Tahoe, and the front seems more upright. Maybe GM is holding to its promise to put the full-sizers on a diet.

I agree wit z. Piercing the vinyl wit mine eyes, I see a late model 400 facial structure wit tweaks for modernity. This is gonna be lovely, familar and just right, I tink.

Edited by ocnblu

Good catch, Mr. Doane.

I've long thought the current Yukon would have looked better w/ the Sierra front end. But I do prefer the Tahoe/Suburban front end over the Silverado.

I totally agree and I think most people also, the Chevy Suburban/Tahoe should have shared it's front end with the Chevy Truck.

GMC should have ditched the but ugly Yukon nose for the GMC truck nose.

This way both truck and suv have family design language that is best and looks freakin awesome!

I am excited about the new Full Size SUV Family. I just hope they realize that their is a market for having a diesel in the Suburban/Yukon XL line.

I expect the interior to be close to the same size but I think the outside will shrink a little. They will lose weight, it may not be much but they will lose some.

Due to Gov Regs, the Whole auto industry has been on a bloat diet over the last 20 years. Time to go on a Diet and loose that mid section! :)

Good catch, Mr. Doane.

I totally agree and I think most people also, the Chevy Suburban/Tahoe should have shared it's front end with the Chevy Truck.

GMC should have ditched the but ugly Yukon nose for the GMC truck nose.

This way both truck and suv have family design language that is best and looks freakin awesome!

I am excited about the new Full Size SUV Family. I just hope they realize that their is a market for having a diesel in the Suburban/Yukon XL line.

I expect the interior to be close to the same size but I think the outside will shrink a little. They will lose weight, it may not be much but they will lose some.

Due to Gov Regs, the Whole auto industry has been on a bloat diet over the last 20 years. Time to go on a Diet and loose that mid section! :)

Oh hell you have not see weight loss yet. By 2025 they will be cutting things we wished we would have never wanted to see. Some model lines will vanish because of the regs. This is not my opinion but something stated by a GM engineer.

Unfortunately, ever-tightening regs leave very few areas left for slimming, esp when other areas will be mandated to get fatter. The weight scenario in modern cars is pretty tight as it is- sheet metal -what there is of it- is paper thin, glass is thinner than ever, powertrains are largely AL already, and plastics continue to spread & spread & spread.

What remains is large-scale moves to lighter alloys / CF, and not much else to offset more & more wiring.

Future weigh loss will be incremental changes, don't expect anything radical... unless a manufacturer builds an illegal MinimalistKar.

• Agree 1

I expect some models to go away or be restricted in production numbers. This will drive their cost up. You can go to lighter alloys but that only works to a point. I am affraid we will be seeing more and more smaller vehicles coming and less and less larger ones being built and even then not at very affordible prices.

It is sad to day but Vehicles like the new Buick Encore are just a peek at the future of the average type vehicle.

The only thing that could save the day is some kind of breakthrough in batteries or hybrid technology that we do not have as of yet. But the MFG still have time and a few tricks to play. Either way it will not be cheap or easy to meet the present standards. It may come down to a election issue at this rate in a few years. A canidate could run on a statment he will give us back larger cars if people get sick of the small boxes.

A given mid-sized, internal-combustion sedan really has almost no 'tricks' left to play. OEMs have been hammering after CAFE for 30 years now. They've tweaked everything there is at one point or another. Even those manufacturers who have a rep for engineering-driven manufacturing have still seen weights increase despite all efforts. The 3-series used to be 2500 lbs, now it's 3500-3600 & the 1-series is 3200.

It will take a radically different type of vehicle (perhaps the GM 'skateboard' concept, with a bolted-on plastic body shell??) to change the weight picture on the same footprint, but don't expect that within the next 15 years.

CAFE is ok when both sides work together but as in most goverment issues it is doomed because one make demands with no care to see how the otherside could accomplish it.

The key will be around2017-18 the automakers want to sit down with the goverment and see where they stand. All they are asking for is a review and adjustments to the future goal.

It should be interesting to see what happens.

Politically, I think the republicans may win big in November, and if they do CAFE could go the way of the dodo bird.

It should be interesting to see what happens.

Politically, I think the republicans may win big in November, and if they do CAFE could go the way of the dodo bird.

I'd be surprised if the republicans won big.

And I'd be even more surprised if they sent CAFE to the circular file - they are just as wrong-headed about this as the democrats are.

If the Republicans get in they will keep CAFE but they will back off some to help the MFG.

If the same admin stays it may even get stepped up as in a second term they have nothing to lose. A quick study of the chief adviser Vallerty Jarrett and those principals she sides with will show the direction of a second term. She was enough of a problem two tough cheif's of staff left Washington.

All this stimulas money that much of it was wasted could have gone into programs to help develope the new technologies with established companies like the automakers needed to improve batteries and other things that would improve the use of electric and hydrogen cell power systems. If you are going to make a silly law then help the companies you put on the spot to meet the law.

Our stimulas money here sent 10 million dollars to put a glass wall up on the 200 foot high bridge in downtown that people jump from. The mayor patted himself on the back and they all made a big deal of it. Well some guy two days ago pulled up and stood on the roof of his car and jumped. I guess they did not see that one coming? So much for the $10 mill.

Hmmm some say jumper was an independent voter?

I think we are screwed no matter what.

Screwed no matter what indeed, and I didn't mean into make it into a politics thread.

However, none of the small performance cars I like (FR-S, Cooper S, Cobalt SS TC, Miata, et al) make the upcoming Cafe requirements, so I guess small car lovers and truck lovers will both be screwed, pretty much no matter what.

Screwed no matter what indeed, and I didn't mean into make it into a politics thread.

However, none of the small performance cars I like (FR-S, Cooper S, Cobalt SS TC, Miata, et al) make the upcoming Cafe requirements, so I guess small car lovers and truck lovers will both be screwed, pretty much no matter what.

It is hard to seperate cars and goverment anymore so you did nothing wrong. In fact it is getting hard to no get into politices on nearly anything anymore from what you eat, drive, wear your doctor etc.

It is hard to seperate cars and goverment anymore so you did nothing wrong. In fact it is getting hard to no get into politices on nearly anything anymore from what you eat, drive, wear your doctor etc.

For a a ntion that was born from a desire to have personal liberty, we are rapidly becoming a nation that seeks conformity and gov't control over all kinds of crazy portions of our life.

I am by no means a conservative or libertarian, but I believe that personal responsibility is being undermined by both the attitude of main street/voters and the willingness of gov't to regulate and fix everything.

Sorry to rant....I just want the ability to make responsible free choices as to what I think is best for my family.

• Agree 3

For a a ntion that was born from a desire to have personal liberty, we are rapidly becoming a nation that seeks conformity and gov't control over all kinds of crazy portions of our life.

I am by no means a conservative or libertarian, but I believe that personal responsibility is being undermined by both the attitude of main street/voters and the willingness of gov't to regulate and fix everything.

Sorry to rant....I just want the ability to make responsible free choices as to what I think is best for my family.

Freedom is one side of the coin that has accountability/responsibility on the other. When people are not willing to take one side, the other side is forced to be taken away too, eventually.

The problem is people abuse and or take for granted their rights and then those who want power and want to take them away from them take advantage of it.

Still look at how many people don't vote and how many that do know nothing or hold accountable those they do vote for. They look for a D or an R and pull the lever.

The problem is people abuse and or take for granted their rights and then those who want power and want to take them away from them take advantage of it.

Still look at how many people don't vote and how many that do know nothing or hold accountable those they do vote for. They look for a D or an R and pull the lever.

Let's just shoot all the bloody lawyers as they seem to be the worst evil around for making everything a gov regulation. The Lawyer attitude seems to be, it is everyone's else problem, you were just a poor victim. Now give me your life savings and your daughter and you can go back to being a Lemming. :( Sad State of affairs!

Let's just shoot all the bloody lawyers as they seem to be the worst evil around for making everything a gov regulation. The Lawyer attitude seems to be, it is everyone's else problem, you were just a poor victim. Now give me your life savings and your daughter and you can go back to being a Lemming. :( Sad State of affairs!

This is a huge part of the problem, and it just feeds the ADD mindset of Americans, both personal and corporate...

Admit nothing, Deny everything, and Demand absolute proof of something before you take responsibility...

THAT is killing our country, folks!

suburban needs something to allow real space in the third row

This remains the biggest issue. The current generation still drives extremely well and looks great, but the inefficient rear cargo/seating vs. every other competitor was a "we did everything but that" issue when the 2007's came out, and without a more changed structure in the rear now, waiting to see if they've been able to get creative back there.

Otherwise, looking good under wraps. Tahoe and Yukon look like a Tahoe and Yukon. Hopefully not just evolutionary, but even better looking. I will miss the Avalanche. If I come into money in the next year, maybe find a way to buy a last of the last 2013.

Edited by caddycruiser

Wonder how different the Escalade will be this time around... I'd love the Escalade's styling to be more differentiated from the other two frame-mates; the current one seems to differ (on the outside) only in front clip, tail light design, and wheel design.

Edited by ZL-1

Wonder how different the Escalade will be this time around... I'd love the Escalade's styling to be more differentiated from the other two frame-mates; the current one seems to differ (on the outside) only in front clip, tail light design, and wheel design.

I get the feeling we will see more and more difference in body an interior between the GMC models and Chevy. But there are limits to what you can do with a box unless you go all Ram on it.

To be honest the Ford, Chevy and GMC all share a lot in stying.