Dodge News: Rumorpile: Challenger To Stay On, Barrcuda To Take SRT

William Maley

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

September 7, 2012

For the past few months, we’ve been reporting on the possible death of the Dodge Challenger to make way for new model called the Barrcuda for SRT. It could be we’re reporting the death of the Challenger too soon.

According to Automotive News, both the Challenger and Barrcuda will co-exist in the 2015 model year. So how will two models exist with each other? The Challenger will stick with the base model and a R/T while the Barrcuda takes the SRT.

For 2015, the new Challenger will ride on an updated platform that should see about two or three inches cut off the wheelbase.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at [email protected] or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

That depends.

Are we talking Barracuda, or 'Cuda?

'Cuda fans are legion.

Challenger was a largely forgotten nameplate prior to the new one, while certain 'Cudas went beyond a million dollars at collector auctions.

No, 'Cuda is a nameplate Chrysler would be foolish not to use.

I expect to see "Hemicuda" in traditional chrome font on some fresh fenders before too long.

• Agree 2

That depends.

Are we talking Barracuda, or 'Cuda?

'Cuda fans are legion.

Challenger was a largely forgotten nameplate prior to the new one, while certain 'Cudas went beyond a million dollars at collector auctions.

No, 'Cuda is a nameplate Chrysler would be foolish not to use.

I expect to see "Hemicuda" in traditional chrome font on some fresh fenders before too long.

Yes... iconic names and badging... 'Barracuda' makes me think of the Valiant based fastbacks and 6cyl/318 base models...'Cuda was the name for performance models, so it makes sense the SRT cars should be 'Cudas...

badge-hemicuda-shaker-hood-scoop.jpg

badge%2071%20Cuda%20clone%20063.jpg

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Very cool, this is good for those of us that do not fit into smaller pony cars. Gotta keep something bigger for the large guys. :P

...and or those of us a little smaller who want a smaller, lighter car....Cuda would be the way to go.

I'm liking the new Chryco more and more each day

So this is the unofficial story now. Interesting. It seems ChryCo is really in a dilemma about what to do with their next muscle coupe.

Here's what I had posted about what I heard back in March. Again, interesting ...

There are also rumors that the revival of the Barracuda doesn't signal the end of the Challenger, either. The Belvedere plant is rumored to shut down for a period of time at the beginning of next year while a new car is also rumored to show up at the Brampton plant.

any American-car enthusiast worth their weight in motor oil knows what a Barracuda or a Hemi 'Cuda is. and you know exactly which cars they're going to remember:

roundup_0000000000006410_image_01.jpg?v=1292964686

1969-plymouth-cuda-440-2.jpg

and when you hear the name Challenger--excepting the new ones--true, most people are going to think of these:

1970_dodge_challenger-pic-20157.jpeg

but keep in mind that some people remember these abominations:

ad_dodge_challenger_grey_1978.jpg

• 3 months later...

It worked for many years back in the day, and everyone was pretty much doing it. I see no reason for it to be any different today, the key is to offer unique styling and features for each model. Simple badge engineering may not work today, but giving the consumer variety that's actually worth a damn is always at the very least a sign that you mean business, that you want to give people a reason to look at your products. With the amount of good buzz going around Chrysler right now, now is the time to cash in.

I personally love the Challenger as it is, and really see no need for a major stylistic change, except on the interior. The interior has always been the one setback with the current Challenger, they stayed so close to the concept on the exterior and totally cheapened out of the interior they don't even seem to belong together in the least. The current dashboard looks like it came out of an '80's econobox. If they design a dash more like what the original Challenger had, with their current crop of higher grade materials and fit and finish, the rest of the Challenger could remain basically unchanged IMO.